• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Acoustic piece is pretty awesome. So is the battle theme. I hope this soundtrack's more guitar-driven/string-driven so they can release a tab/guitar arrange book or something for fans.

Well. I'll admit that the trailer increased my hype a little. It was pretty cool, and the backgrounds look nice. Dialogue is still dumb, though.

Glad Hope is there. I'm probably one of the only people who didn't abhor him in FFXIII... until they destroyed whatever character development he had to give him a summon. He looks like an older Noctis now with new clothes. I wonder if he's playable?

baUrY.jpg

It's amazing that he can take down an enemy with a boomerang, yet the other two couldn't take it down with swords or moogle swords/bows.

Aeana said:
Gadot was cooler than half of the FF13 cast, so I dunno why people are telling him to go away. :(
I disagree, though that's mostly because he isn't my type. ;P

ULTROS! said:
They probably
finally
broke up. :p
Probably. "Friend of mine". Someone wouldn't refer to their husband/fiancé as just a friend unless they're hiding it from the person they're talking to, or they broke up a while ago and maintain a good relationship.

Riposte

Writing out Snow would be some NTR shit. That is not cool, man. But I think they already said Snow is around and probably isn't going to be replaced by Noel as a love interest. As far as awkwardness goes, I think Noel and Serah are acting weirdly in the trailers. At least in the new one they got rid of Serah's "OH :(" when listening to that girl talk about her dead friend. Was pretty lol.

Do L'Cie keep their powers after losing their brand/waking up?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Perfo said:
Yeah, but the same was true for XIII in E3 2009, while at TGS of the same year it was 5mins long if I'm not mistaken. I was expecting something as big for this XIII-2 following the same pattern. Unless they intend to release in japan more trailers after TGS or... perhaps this time they want to spoiler us a bit less lol ~
I remember latest XIII's trailers spoilered pratically every climax scene of every chapter in the final game... that was awful.

I don't think there's any real pattern to Square's PV releases... I mean, they released a 7 minute Versus video in January, which wasn't even a proper unveiling.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dark Schala said:
Acoustic piece is pretty awesome.

I got "NIER"s vibes from it :D

Kagari said:
I don't think there's any real pattern to Square's PV releases... I mean, they released a 7 minute Versus video in January, which wasn't even a proper unveiling.

You are probably right, I should keep my expectations low when it comes to that :p

Hela

FF X-2 - Looking for main character of the previous game, who went mysteriously missing.
FF XIII-2 - Looking for main character of the previous game, who went mysteriously missing.

t219721_fry_i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hela said:
FF X-2 - Looking for main character of the previous game, who went mysteriously missing.
FF XIII-2 - Looking for main character of the previous game, who went mysteriously missing.

t219721_fry_i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

That means there will be some gushy ballad song and a J-pop performing group starring the previous cast + some new member in XIII-2.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
ULTROS! said:
That means there will be some gushy ballad song and a J-pop performing group starring the previous cast + some new member in XIII-2.

What can I do for you? Uh huh! What can I do for you? Oh yeah!

Need some J pop up in this haha

It's been a while since i check out info on this game.
The new places don't look bad, breaking up Snow and Serah would make the first game feel cheap not like it matter i guess.
New stuff is the battle system look alright .

I have question for those who are keeping up with the info is Serah main char of the game or is split between her and Lighting .

I guess day one even thought i don't really care about this game.

Looks like the framerate drops in the sub20s in some parts. I really hope there's considerably more to the game than what we've seen so far,ie more party members, new enemies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
gundamkyoukai said:
I have question for those who are keeping up with the info is Serah main char of the game or is split between her and Lighting .

I want to know this as well. Based on all the materials released so far, it looks like Serah will be the main character.

Famassu

Synless said:
Hope has a new costume I see, I wonder why they didn't just give everyone new looks.
I hope that means people like Team Nora have a miniscule role in XIII-2, so it wouldn't be worth the effort to model them again if they are in the game for 2 minutes (at max, I hope).

I don't think Square has the balls to do it, but I think it would be awesome if they broke up Serah and Snow. I mean, how many games actually have realistic aspects with break ups and conflict in place of the hokey fairy tail mush mush? Happy teenage romance hardly ever lasts, and I'd give them a lot of props if they did that.

After all Snow and Serah's relationship was sickeningly saccharine in XIII and having an actual break up would be a nice departure from the fairy tail romances JRPG's always seem to have. Perfect for my jaded old cynical adult mindset.

of course, this is Toriyama we're talking about so I suppose the odds of that happening are about as likely as versus coming out this decade.

Thoraxes

Man, the more I watch this the more I fall in love with their transforming weapons.
They just looks so cool.
Both Noel and Serah's weapons do it and if I had to make a guess (seeing as i've not played a demo) they probably change based off of what their role within a Paradigm is. Or they just do cool stuff all the time, which is fine by me too.

Thoraxes said:
Man, the more I watch this the more I fall in love with their transforming weapons.
They just looks so cool.
Both Noel and Serah's weapons do it and if I had to make a guess (seeing as i've not played a demo) they probably change based off of what their role within a Paradigm is. Or they just do cool stuff all the time, which is fine by me too.
The weapons in FF13 transformed too, and it had absolutely no repercussions within gameplay.

Thoraxes

Megidolaon said:
I don't think Square has the balls to do it, but I think it would be awesome if they broke up Serah and Snow. I mean, how many games actually have realistic aspects with break ups and conflict in place of the hokey fairy tail mush mush? Happy teenage romance hardly ever lasts, and I'd give them a lot of props if they did that.

After all Snow and Serah's relationship was sickeningly saccharine in XIII and having an actual break up would be a nice departure from the fairy tail romances JRPG's always seem to have. Perfect for my jaded old cynical adult mindset.

of course, this is Toriyama we're talking about so I suppose the odds of that happening are about as likely as versus coming out this decade.
Alright I know i'm way off on this... but how would you respond if Snow is looking for Light because he fell in love with her through their journey, and then Hope is looking for her too, and then when the two meet, they have a fight to the death over her, with Hope's fight being about revenge too.

Thoraxes

badcrumble said:
The weapons in FF13 transformed too, and it had absolutely no repercussions within gameplay.
I probably don't remember this because when XIII came out I played it on a tiny 19" CRT TV... because I hadn't yet upgraded to my current 40" 1080p TV.

I'll probably go replay it just to see all the little details I missed.

Thoraxes said:
Alright I know i'm way off on this... but how would you respond if Snow is looking for Light because he fell in love with her through their journey, and then Hope is looking for her too, and then when the two meet, they have a fight to the death over her, with Hope's fight being about revenge too.
Haha, I think it'd be hilarious if that happened. Actually they should just turn FFXIII-2 into a parody game of the original XIII or the whole series and make it as ridiculous as possible. I'd play that.

I did like FFXII romance though. It was more subtle and less in your face. You could sense when there was a thing between characters but it didn't blast you over the head.

No mushy mamoru!speeches, romance of destiny, love triangles or crystal tears...

Beth Cyra

Thoraxes said:
As some one who actually liked XIII, this alone would probably make me hate XIII-2 as deeply as the majority of people did XIII proper.

It was real nice that Lightning didn't actually have a love interest and suddenly giving her one would destroy that, besides with how in love Snow was with Serah this would be even worse of a story then the original XIII with all it's porblems.

Thoraxes said:
I probably don't remember this because when XIII came out I played it on a tiny 19" CRT TV... because I hadn't yet upgraded to my current 40" 1080p TV.

I'll probably go replay it just to see all the little details I missed.

Only Lightning, Fang, and Sazh's weapons can transform as far as i know, and Light's is the only one acknowledged in a cutscene.

Thoraxes said:

Sounds like more par-for-the-course pointless melodrama.

Famassu

Serah mutters "help me Snow" before she falls down and cries for Lightning, don't know if she'd do that if they were broken up. Maybe the event that lead to Lightning's "death" is something Snow blames himself for and he just left somewhere because he can't live with the guilt?

Thoraxes

TruePrime said:
As some one who actually liked XIII, this alone would probably make me hate XIII-2 as deeply as the majority of people did XIII proper.

It was real nice that Lightning didn't actually have a love interest and suddenly giving her one would destroy that, besides with how in love Snow was with Serah this would be even worse of a story then the original XIII with all it's porblems.
Yeah I can agree with that. I'm just throwing out fun speculation is all. I think it's important for Light to remain that strong independent character, because not only does that make her cool, but it makes her more attractive as a character (for me anyways).
Fimbulvetr said:
Only Lightning, Fang, and Sazh's weapons can transform as far as i know, and Light's is the only one acknowledged in a cutscene.
Ah, thanks! I'm starting to think I should replay XIII before XIII-2 comes out now. My memory is getting rusty and I definitely missed some things the first time.
I remember Light's weapon is a gunblade, and that Sazh could make a larger gun now too, after reading your response.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thoraxes said:
Sounds like dumb melodrama befitting of Twilight...

Thoraxes

Dark Schala said:
Sounds like dumb melodrama befitting of Twilight...
I think it's just my imagination wanting Hope to become a badass who fights people for what he wants. Though, let's not start any shipping wars; no blood needs to be spilled in this thread.

Dark Schala said:
It's amazing that he can take down an enemy with a boomerang, yet the other two couldn't take it down with swords or moogle swords/bows..

Yeah, either he retained some power or he upgraded his boomerang a lot in 5 years. Though the latter brings up the question of just why Hope would have such a thing in the first game.

When I first saw it in XIII I thought it was just a toy that he was really good at hitting things with. But apparently it's a legitimate weapon choice.

Zoe

Famassu said:
Serah mutters "help me Snow" before she falls down and cries for Lightning, don't know if she'd do that if they were broken up. Maybe the event that lead to Lightning's "death" is something Snow blames himself for and he just left somewhere because he can't live with the guilt?

She says "Please no... help me, Lightning!"

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Zoe said:
She says "Please no... help me, Lightning!"

In the original she says "sister"... in our version she doesn't really want to be linked to Lightning too much it appears :(

Thoraxes

Fimbulvetr said:
Yeah, either he retained some power or he upgraded his boomerang a lot in 5 years. Though the latter brings up the question of just why Hope would have such a thing in the first game.

When I first saw it in XIII I thought it was just a toy that he was really good at hitting things with. But apparently it's a legitimate weapon choice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDHxOqFkAs&feature=related
That's the best response I have. But uh... That doesn't explain taking down things 1000x larger :lol

Skilletor

I have no interest in playing as Serah or this new guy. This game is unimpressive no matter how I try to convince myself otherwise.

Do you really only get 2 party members and one monster?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Skilletor said:
I have no interest in playing as Serah or this new guy. This game is unimpressive no matter how I try to convince myself otherwise.

Do you really only get 2 party members and one monster?

Probably, and Toriyama did mention at E3 that there will be guests characters, but they'll probably be AI controlled.

Kagari said:
Probably, and Toriyama did mention at E3 that there will be guests characters, but they'll probably be AI controlled.

So it's 2 part members for the whole game ??
That sounds really bad .

Damn i might hold off on this not only i not getting to play lighting much but if it only 2 party members that sucks.

Tiamant

I recall the boomerang being something sports related. Cocoon's blitzball maybe?

Thoraxes said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDHxOqFkAs&feature=related
That's the best response I have. But uh... That doesn't explain taking down things 1000x larger :lol

Or military grade robo-panthers.

miladesn said:
Gogmagog is name of that new strange looking enemy monster (the one Hope hits), ha.

A Judeo-Christian reference instead of a Norse one?

Edit: I just remembered the last game had an Ophanim and Titan. Never mind then.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gundamkyoukai said:
That sounds really bad .

Damn i might hold off on this not only i not getting to play lighting much but if it only 2 party members that sucks.

Hasn't fully been confirmed, so we'll see.

Beth Cyra

gundamkyoukai said:
That sounds really bad >
I don't know.

Then again I really didn't mind the 3 person only team in X-2.

Things really depend on how the story is and just how often we get to have guest party members.

If I'm stuck with just these two fools then yeah I'm going to have an issue. If we get characters like Fang, Sazh, and Lightning at a decent pace then I don't mind.

Plus we know that we get to Control more then just Serah and Noel because of the Lightning gameplay so we have three, and if she gets a second as well or they meet up and form a three person team then it could be good.

Perfo said:
There's Lightning own story too, it could be something different.

So the game is split in to 2 story arcs ???
God they could not even make a good story in FFXIII now they doing this .
Man the more i hear about this game the less i am liking it.

TruePrime said:
I don't know.
Then again I really didn't mind the 3 person only team in X-2.

Same here but man X-2 battle system was so good it did not matter .

Zoe

Perfo said:
In the original she says "sister"... in our version she doesn't really want to be linked to Lightning too much it appears :(

You don't really say "sister" (or "brother") in English like you do in Japanese.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thoraxes said:
I think it's just my imagination wanting Hope to become a badass who fights people for what he wants. Though, let's not start any shipping wars; no blood needs to be spilled in this thread.
But I was in the middle of designing my Team Hope shirt... :( He would've been FFXIII's Jacob Black (or whatever the name of the kid who plays him in the movies is).

In all seriousness, though... I thought Hope was pretty cool when he exploded and was about to stab Snow in the face, and also when he helped fight off that robocopter. But then he somehow turned into one of the group's motivational speakers after that and lost most of his cool.

Fimbulvetr said:

Obviously everyone on Pulse should use boomerangs, just like how everyone Spira should use blitzballs that turn monsters to stone.

From the FF Wiki: "Hope fights with boomerangs that work differently from normal boomerangs; thanks to futuristic technology and design, he is able to throw the boomerang once and hit multiple enemies without having to throw it again."

Futuristic technology and design.

Fimbulvetr said:
A Judeo-Christian reference instead of a Norse one?
Or it could be British folklore (and not Gog and Magog). It was a giant, and it got thrown off a cliff by Corineus.

Kagari said:

Sigh. Is there room on your negativity couch for another person? To think when they first announced it, it seemed like we could be hopeful that they had listened to the criticisms of the first game, but each new reveal is one facepalm after another.

I guess we can look forward to the handwringing when this one reviews and sells worse than XIII.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In battle, you can recruit a single monster to join your party, which can consist of three party members [including the monster]. Toriyama said that at times there will be a guest character in the party.

Ah, okay. He said it in Dengeki.

rataven

I may have missed this, but do we actually get to control both of our party members in battle, at the same time? Because that would be cool.

Top Bottom