• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

L.O.R.D

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere else, but you can pre-load now.

iJtSGziS2occ4.jpg

17.8GB download.

17.8 GB or 28 GB ?
its show 28 GB
its weird ... the Xbox version was 1 disc ( 8 GB install only )

TheTux

17.8 GB or 28 GB ?
its show 28 GB
its weird ... the Xbox version was 1 disc ( 8 GB install only )

28GB is install size, 17.8GB is the encrypted preloading files' size.

Basically you download ~18GB now, then you'll need ~28GB to extracting it when preloading ends and then you should need only ~28GB to have the game installed on your PC.

Please note that those numbers may vary.

Levyne

Banned
Aww yiss, I'm preloading.

Though if it comes out of the box with resolution options, just hope XIII-2 will work with the base gedosato config.

TheTux

lol Thats great, but I think its more fitting for Lightning Returns.
Thuoght exactly the same.

"So you think you can ride this Chocobo"
THIS! Why didn't I think of this?!?!

"You thought it was Lightning, but its me Serah"

i tried
That's actually not bad, there are many people on Steam forums who believe that Lightning is the main character. "So you think you can ride this Chocobo" is better anyway in my opinion.

Kuppo-choco Timey Whimey Game.
Nah, meh.

TheTux

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for supporting FINAL FANTASY XIII.
A new update for FINAL FANTASY XIII was released on the 11th December 2014.

Update contents:
- Custom rendering features (720p, 1080p etc.)
- New graphics options

Caution: Depending on your PC environment, some graphics options may cause the game processing to slow down considerably or prevent it from booting up at all. Remember to use the most suitable settings for your PC’s specifications.

We hope that you continue to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XIII.

いつも「FINAL FANTASY XIII」をご愛顧くださり、まことにありがとうございます。
2014年12月11日に「FINAL FANTASY XIII」のアップデートを実施いたしました。

【更新内容】
・カスタムのレンダリング解像度(720p,1080p等)
・グラフィックオプション

注意:グラフィックオプションの設定によっては、『ゲームが著しく処理落ちする』『ゲームが起動しない』ことがあります。
PCスペックに合ったグラフィックオプションでのプレイをお願いします。

今後とも「FINAL FANTASY XIII」をよろしくお願いいたします。
http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/254782217594893873

TheTux

Steam was telling me "Scheduled at 13:37" so I clicked "Play" and now it's validating all the files lol...

Will try in a few hours, is the framerate better with normal video settings?

Teletraan1

Banned
Ugg. SE you had one job. The graphics options I didn't really care about since I could do as I please thanks to Durante. No sale on the next installment. The first games wild fluctuations were making me sick and they will see no more of my money.

It only showed 720p/1080p for me the first time, now it shows all resolutions. Framerate is still crap though. It's clear they have something wrong as the game will run a whole bunch of frames @ 16ms then suddenly jump to 100ms.

Gbraga

Does it work with regular GeDoSaTo still?

I'll just lock it to 30 and push it as far as I can.

I'm thinking 4K an max settings should be doable on a 680.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was hoping SE would fix the framerate... but deep inside I knew they won't ever do it. If at least they gave us the option to lock it to 30 FPS! I know it's a shitty way to play the game, but at least it won't suffer from the annoying constant spiking between 30 and 60 FPS.

TheTux

I was hoping SE would fix the framerate... but deep inside I knew they won't ever do it. If at least they gave us the option to lock it to 30 FPS! I know it's a shitty way to play the game, but at least it won't suffer from the annoying constant spiking between 30 and 60 FPS.

Lol.

If I only could get to 30fps.

(still need to test out the new update)

Kazdane

So, basically now you have all the resolutions your monitor supports, shadow resolution and antialiasing options, and that's it, right?

I think it's actually not bad considering what we are coming from. I was just hoping they would manage to fix the framepacing issues as well (for me the trick just was use GeDoSaTo to bump it to 4K, it was 30 fps everywhere except Sunleth where in some angles it'd drop to 20 fps).

Just tried the patch out myself, it felt OK. Using nVidia DSR 4K + 16x forced AF in the control panel seemed to perform a little better than using Gedosato at the same settings, but there were still frame drops. It's acceptable, which is probably still better than average from a Japanese dev porting to PC, but they still have room to tweak the engine to optimize performance, my GTX 770 never seems to really go above 70% utilization according to Afterburner no matter what my graphics settings are in game.

I'll still end up getting XIII-2 anyway because I'm a consumer whore, but hey, at least on PC we have Durante to save us.

Nabs

Shadow Resolution is a frame killer. Keeping it down (along with MSAA) has improved my framerate significantly. I'm super early in the game, so I'm interested to hear how the later areas feel.

mcmmaster

Just tried the update and the framerate still fluctuates in battle... I thought an employee at Square said the update would fix everything.

Teletraan1

Banned
The problem I had with capping to 30 was that it would actually dip below 30 regardless of resolution or settings for no reason. CPU/GPU not getting taxed at all and it is dropping to the mid 20s. I need at least a consistent frame rate. This is far from it. Game has completely broken frame pacing which they have not fixed. I am more mad about this than the VII troll since this will be the second time I have bought this kind of mediocre game.

BONKERS

--Performance is still crap. Still TONS of fame time issues, drops in battle. (Video link > https://mega.co.nz/#!mMZChJjD!zJo7J33hs087mSBgTXzEMDXnhFfoFKjt5NW-2kXJ_jA) Look at the frame time counter, this should a FIXED flatlined 16.66ms at 60/59FPS. When this is constantly spiking, it cauess microstuttering. Not to mention the framerate still TANKS when anything in battle happens

--No Frame Rate cap options for 60/30/unticked
--High Resolution Fonts and UI images needed. Which if we had the ability to mod in, is entirely possible. (Though this isn't a necessity)
--Audio Volume is still too low, no balance sliders, music too quiet compared to everything else.
--FMVs are still crap, still 50GB, no option to download only one language FMVs, if it's gonna be 50GB, WHY can't it be higher quality FMVs? At least the PS3 FMVs

BONKERS

I'm not 100% on the tech behind it, but I think that if you only use OSD you get tearing, and if you only use half refresh rate you get stuttering.

Not necessarily true, it depends on the game.

You CAN use regular Vsync and then cap at 30FPS. Depending on the game it may work or may not without issues.

Some games, 1/2 Refresh works fine. Others, you need 1/2+30FPS cap+Pre-rendered frames=1 to get the most stable and responsive output

Gbraga

Sad, but expected. Can we still use GeDoSaTo with it, though?

Also, can you remember some notable examples of pre-rendered frames=1 being needed? That would be nice to know.

BONKERS

Sad, but expected. Can we still use GeDoSaTo with it, though?

Also, can you remember some notable examples of pre-rendered frames=1 being needed? That would be nice to know.

Mafia II for example, with 60hz Vsync+30FPS cap there is microstuttering here and there. But controller response is pretty good.

1/2 Refresh+30FPS cap= a very large increase in input latency.

However pre-rendered frames=1 reduced that a bit more.

General rule of thumb for that, is that if the input latency feels really really bad with 1/2+30FPS cap, try pre-rendered=1 and see if it helps. I don't know if it will work with all cases though.

And Yes you probably can still use GeDoSaTo. Can also use DSR now too

Top Bottom