• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably gonna sound like a dumb question, but is the PC version the best version? I heard it's a bad port, but I didn't know if it had had its issues fixed yet. It's $15 on Newegg bundled with XIII-2, and I was trying to decide between this or the PS3 versions.

It's bad by PC standards but still better than the PS3 version. Even though it offers few options and can't maintain high framerates, you can still bump up the resolution/AA and lock it at 30 FPS for a better experience than what the consoles offer.

That's the thing about "bad ports" in general. At worst, they are usually the same or better than what you would get on console. They just aren't up to the standards people expect for PC games.

brau

It's bad by PC standards but still better than the PS3 version. Even though it offers few options and can't maintain high framerates, you can still bump up the resolution/AA and lock it at 30 FPS for a better experience than what the consoles offer.

That's the thing about "bad ports" in general. At worst, they are usually the same or better than what you would get on console. They just aren't up to the standards people expect for PC games.

Agreed. PC has more flexibility imo.

Finally a place that was ok to screen grab. The grind at this point in the game is ridiculous.
This boss right here, wipes me with his powerful attack. lol.

iY0aPLhmM1yKL.png

iBiCVjmbaYiRv.png

ib1hTfpqekbInX.png

brau

Some more pictures of today. Finally, another nice place that had plenty of spots for nice screens.

Now that i spent some time grinding, the game is starting to pick up again.

I hate Hope.

It's all good :D

Is that the orb from Destiny? lol

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just beat it. Wowzers. Loved just about every minute of it, although I was ready for it end around the time it did.

Will my saves do anything for XIII-2, or is it safe to uninstall?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
On the PS3, a XIII save gives you an XMB theme when booting up XIII-2. For Lightning Returns, having a save for XIII and/or XIII-2 gives you Lightning's respective costumes from each game.

Cool. Think I'll go ahead and uninstall. It takes up a ridiculous amount of space.

daninthemix

Just got stuck into this today and am quite enjoying it. Sure, story is incomprehensible and dialog is woeful, but it's good fun to play and quite relaxing. Looks decent and runs nicely, apart from the occasional very brief stutter.

Pleased that SE released this :)

brau

Just got stuck into this today and am quite enjoying it. Sure, story is incomprehensible and dialog is woeful, but it's good fun to play and quite relaxing. Looks decent and runs nicely, apart from the occasional very brief stutter.

Pleased that SE released this :)

Yea. I had no desire to play this on the console. But on PC i've been having a good time with it. Its pretty mindless for the most part, but the combat can be a lot of fun.

Can't wait to get to the other 2 games. So far i know those are a lot different and better.

Some more screens of today.

cafemomo

For Lightning Returns, having a save for XIII and/or XIII-2 gives you Lightning's respective costumes from each game.

Lightning's Guardian Corps costume was probably the most balanced out of all the legacy costumes in LR. Aerith was a little underwhelming while Cloud and X-2 Yuna were a bit too OP (cloud especially). X Yuna was alright, but XIII Lightning hit the sweet spot.

daninthemix

Anyone else tried running this with RTSS and a 60fps cap on a 60Hz monitor? I just did briefly, and the stutter seemed to be gone. I will try it some more later.

teiresias

Anyone else tried running this with RTSS and a 60fps cap on a 60Hz monitor? I just did briefly, and the stutter seemed to be gone. I will try it some more later.

What executable file did you associate with the profile? I'll try it and see if it helps. The stutter in Palumpolum is driving me crazy in Ch. 7.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Jheeze i try read the thread and you keep posting images we can see elsewhere everytime that no one cares about smh keep it to yourself

His screenshots are great, and this thread is otherwise pretty much dead.

I don't think you'll be here long, though.

brau

His screenshots are great, and this thread is otherwise pretty much dead.

I don't think you'll be here long, though.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. I do like taking screen grabs and sharing the ones i like best. But if its annoying people. I'll just share the album from now on.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Thanks man. I appreciate that. I do like taking screen grabs and sharing the ones i like best. But if its annoying people. I'll just share the album from now on.

You know you're welcome to keep posting them. If you want a laugh, check out the post history of that kid. Not even worth worrying about, man.

Fuck that bullshit, your screens are beautiful. Don't let anyone here make you feel bad for posting the beauty of XIII or anything else that don't hurt anyone.

but Hope is great though

tumblr_mt3r4hgfIC1qcpct6o1_500.gif

You know you're welcome to keep posting them. If you want a laugh, check out the post history of that kid. Not even worth worrying about, man.

Yeah, surprised he isn't banned yet.haha

brau

Keep sharing the shots I say. They are nice.

Fuck that bullshit, your screens are beautiful. Don't let anyone here make you feel bad for posting the beauty of XIII or anything else that don't hurt anyone.

but Hope is great though

Wow. thanks guys. I do like taking them and sharing them. I do appreciate people looking at them. :) i'll continue to take shots then haha and discussing them and keep making fun of
Hope. :D

Wow. thanks guys. I do like taking them and sharing them. I do appreciate people looking at them. :) i'll continue to take shots then haha and discussing them and keep making fun of
Hope. :D

That's good. Hopefully you'll discuss and post screens of XIII-2, if you decide to play it.
(that thread is even more dead. haha)

Sadly I need a new PC, so I can't post any shots for now. (I guess I gotta wait for the PS4 collection version)

Looks like your number one fan is no longer with us.heh

brau

That's good. Hopefully you'll discuss and post screens of XIII-2, if you decide to play it.
(that thread is even more dead. haha)

Sadly I need a new PC, so I can't post any shots for now. (I guess I gotta wait for the PS4 collection version)

Looks like your number one fan is no longer with us.heh

I already have it loaded on my pc. Will play through it and screen grab the crap out of it when i am done with this one.

Thats too bad... never played the games before. But i am happy i waited to play it on PC. I'm having a great time with this one so far. The grinding where i am at is nuts tho.

oh... just saw that about that guy. Oh well.

daninthemix

I'm done with the game. Can't bring myself to finish the Gran Pulse missions.

In terms of performance, I feel both of the following had a positive impact on framerate stability, and the vast majority of my playthrough was at a solid 60fps. Nautilus was the exception, with some severe frame drops. That said, I had not tried the second tweak here by that point.

1) Use RTSS to lock framerate to 60fps. This is on a 60Hz monitor, by the way. Seemed to reduce the severity and frequency of stutters, but could be placebo.

2) In NVCP, set Power Management Mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Same again - a reduction in stuttering severity and frequency.

I recommend anyone getting stutters to try the above, as for the most part my playthrough was very smooth.

brau

I'm done with the game. Can't bring myself to finish the Gran Pulse missions.

In terms of performance, I feel both of the following had a positive impact on framerate stability, and the vast majority of my playthrough was at a solid 60fps. Nautilus was the exception, with some severe frame drops. That said, I had not tried the second tweak here by that point.

1) Use RTSS to lock framerate to 60fps. This is on a 60Hz monitor, by the way. Seemed to reduce the severity and frequency of stutters, but could be placebo.

2) In NVCP, set Power Management Mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Same again - a reduction in stuttering severity and frequency.

I recommend anyone getting stutters to try the above, as for the most part my playthrough was very smooth.

I had dips in framerate twice. and in the most weird places too.

The first was before i went into the tower that is by the moon where liberate those statues. Right before i went in i got a big dip for no reason.

The other one was on an MGS looking elevator where everything is orange and you go down in the city that is getting invaded.

Both just dips on to single digits.

Everything else, solid 60fps for me i think.

I'll have to check some of the settings you posted tho.

brau

Currently down to $8 on steam if anyone was waiting for a sale. Picked it up myself, any must-have graphics mods?

Use GeDoSaTo and tweak SweetFX. If you want my settings i can send my txt file. :D

It really does make a big difference.

Hellraider

This update just killed the framerate for me. What the hell?

EDIT: Alt-tabbing and going back to it fixes it. Hmm.
EDIT2: And Frame rate cratters after every battle and you have to go to desktop and back to the game to fix it. Fucking great.

tensuke

Picked it up in the sale, it's nice to play it in 1080p for once. Had to fiddle a bit to get the DS4 to work correctly, but it seems fine. Only problem is that input stops working sometimes in the save menu, I have to alt-tab out and back in to get it working again and it usually cuts out a few seconds later. Fine everywhere else, just does that in the save menu.

Was putting off buying this because of all the bad stuff I heard about the port from the start of the thread. But having it available so cheap I couldn't pass up having another way to play one of my favorite games. Overall I am impressed. Visually it is blowing me away all over again. I'm just using the 1080p settings the game offers but it looks stunning to me. Framerate doesn't bother me too much either.

Biggest plus so far is being able to enjoy the game in Japanese audio. Haven't heard it since I played the original PS3 JP launch release way back when. Although I didn't hate Vanille's english VA or character I am finding her mannerisms working much better in Japanese.

Koozek

Man, still some of the most beautiful environments and 3D models (though unfortunately the main characters have a few really rough edges here and there), even nearly 6 years later.

You guys enjoy.

Game is lots of fun, and it can be pretty awesome looking. Specially with extra tweaks to it.

Some more screens of this mornings playthrough.

Nice screens once again. In that last one, everyone looks like they are tired of this shit and want to kill/stop
Bart/Orphan
haha

brau

Nice screens once again. In that last one, everyone looks like they are tired of this shit and want to kill/stop
Bart/Orphan
haha

i know!! they are all very very upset. I think they are just tired of all the grinding.

But its funny, thats why i picked that one.

I must be near the end now, just started chapter 12. Was really enjoying it until Gran Pulse, the difficulty spike there really caught me by surprise. Almost every enemy just walking around absolutely obliterated me. Taejins Tower was tough as shit too. Barthandelus 2 was a bloody nightmare as well, I ended up grinding for hours to level up. In the end tho after narrowly losing the fight to his damn doom timer, I just did it on easy as I don't have time for more grinding. Chapter 12 has been a breeze so far tho, and I'm enjoying it again. Got XIII-2 on sale so looking forward to starting that when I'm done

cafemomo

Man, still some of the most beautiful environments and 3D models (though unfortunately the main characters have a few really rough edges here and there), even nearly 6 years later.

powah of the cell

shame XIII-2 & LR were such a downgrade visually.

Some areas in LR would of have looked more stunning if it were on par with XIII

brau

Short playthrough this morning. Getting tired of the grind haha. Also, booted up FFXIII-2 so i'll be posting some screens on the other thread. just from the intro, man, that game looks awesome.

Faith

So guys, maybe you can help me out?

I bought the game last week on Steam and can't play it on my PC (Windows 8.1 64bit, 4770K, GTX970 SLI, 16GB RAM, SSD). The image freezes after 1 minute but I can still hear my footsteps. After I force-close the game my Windows UI is gone (completely blue) and I have to restart my PC.

I already verified the data in Steam, set it to Windows 7 compatibility mode and run as administrator. Nothing helps.

Ok if I'm pressing ESC after the freeze the game crashes and I get this like always:

brau

So guys, maybe you can help me out?

I bought the game last week on Steam and can't play it on my PC (Windows 8.1 64bit, 4770K, GTX970 SLI, 16GB RAM, SSD). The image freezes after 1 minute but I can still hear my footsteps. After I force-close the game my Windows UI is gone (completely blue) and I have to restart my PC.

I already verified the data in Steam, set it to Windows 7 compatibility mode and run as administrator. Nothing helps.

Ok if I'm pressing ESC after the freeze the game crashes and I get this like always:

Did you get this fixed?

I am not really sure what is going on with your setup. Do you have your controller hooked up? there were some issues with the game wanting to recognize a controller.

That aside... whats with the weird ending? and that song at the end haha.

Good game. Ready to start XIII-2

Faith

Did you get this fixed?

I am not really sure what is going on with your setup. Do you have your controller hooked up? there were some issues with the game wanting to recognize a controller.
No, I tried to lower the settings, disables the HID devices in devie manager, disabling SLI for the game and nothing works. It doesn't matter if my Xbox controller is plugged in or not.

Widge

I play this on "max" at 1080p, more often than not, the framerate is decent. On the occasion that it seems to descend into sludge, I quit, reload and it is back to being snappy again.

Odd.

Z3M0G

Hey folks, how accurate is this video that says the PC version does not look better (and in some ways worst) than the PS3 version?

I'm very tempted lately to do a replay, and was considering getting the Steam version as a visual upgrade to make it more worth it... but I'm thankful that i looked into this first...

Has the game gotten any upgrades to improve things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HM1Bbb_L0

Pre-rendered scenes are worst than the PS3 ones because Bink, and apparently something to do with shadows aren't as quite good as the console version, but you can raise the resolution on that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually the shadows being odd and resolution bump go hand in hand because there's some weird interaction where the shadow mapping scales with rendering resolution. Meaning if you downsample from 4k the edges on the shadows become unnaturally sharp.

PC version looks way better than the console versions though, even with its problems. I don't know how this is even a point of debate. There's scarcely a page in this OT without screencaps out the wazoo.

Top Bottom