• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

Munba

ff13_cosplay.jpg

:D

Munba

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
brandonh83 said:
So how do you pronounce Vanille's summon? Is it like

Hecka-ton-cheer

?

"Heck-a-tone-care".

It's the new Cait Sith (in terms of summons with obtuse pronunciations)!

if it's 70 dollars like the CE for FFXII i'm game but man. it was just a tin case with the game and documentary. i would love that and a sample soundtrack compilation. and no postcards >.>

Souther

Banned
Heres a free Play-Asia coupon for those of you that might be looking at buying this game or maybe the bundle..

Its $12 off a purchase of $100 or more. Only good for 1 time use.

GQ-LLG-MYG

Enjoy.

I am kind of angry that they went back to doing battles in a special battlescreen.

no more chaining of enemies to get massive exp and rare drops, no more fast battles :(

I still cant understand why they would go back to something that makes the game more frustrating to play.

oh well I really hope that they still managed to make a FF that has some point in the game where we can gain massive points to level up at and make it FUN to lvl up like they had in FFXII, that was the best thing with FFXII.

Tamanon

Banned
I've been pretty shut off from the game media. Looks beautiful and the battle system looks better than FF12. I appreciated the change in style, but it just wasn't compelling to me. Can't wait for the US release.:D

kuYuri

Great thread Kagari. :)

Alas, I'll almost certainly be getting the English version, due to my lack of Japanese knowledge. >_>

duckroll

Watching the FFXIII Special Program on BS11 now. The ad break went like this: FFXIII 30sec ad -> NEW Birth by Sleep ad -> NEW 30sec FFXIII ad -> Birth by Sleep ad again. :lol

Diablos

duckroll said:
Watching the FFXIII Special Program on BS11 now. The ad break went like this: FFXIII 30sec ad -> NEW Birth by Sleep ad -> NEW 30sec FFXIII ad -> Birth by Sleep ad again. :lol
Went to the BS11 website, I love how they are propped up in front of a capture of the grassy area from the trailers :lol

duckroll

The program was pretty good. They actually showed off more than I expected. They showed off a random battle on Pulse, and some battles from the Lightning TGS demo segment. All the footage should be from the actual game though, since at the end of battles they gain Crystal Points too. The new 30 second ad for FFXIII is crazy hot. Serious CG eyegasm.

The ad in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJiaNlJ-YE

Effect

I have to say I was on the fence about getting FFXIII but finding out about the character of Sazh did it for me. It's always good to see your ethnicity represented in a game (not stereotyped either) which while not a huge deal for me has been something I wish I saw more of in terms of Final Fantasy games. Especially games that are doing to be directed toward the west. I hope we see more of this with Square being more purposeful about making games appeal those outside of Japan.

That said I do have to wonder about something. The last time we had a female lead for a core Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy 6 with Terra. However she didn't stay the female lead after the second part of that game began. That role was taken over by Locke. I wonder if we'll be presented with the same situation here.

duckroll

Effect said:
That said I do have to wonder about something. The last time we had a female lead for a core Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy 6 with Terra. However she didn't stay the female lead after the second part of that game began. That role was taken over by Locke. I wonder if we'll be presented with the same situation here.

FFXIII and FFVI seems similar in the sense that the development staff makes it very clear that "every character is a protagonist". The game will shift focus from character to character, fleshing out each party member and giving each a detailed storyline throughout the game. Since you can only control the leader character in the party in FFXIII, this gives them an even better chance to emphasize that point, since the game will shift the leader around between characters depending on the narrative in the story. It is assumed that towards the end of the game you will be able to freely form your party and pick a leader character though.

Diablos

duckroll said:
The program was pretty good. They actually showed off more than I expected. They showed off a random battle on Pulse, and some battles from the Lightning TGS demo segment. All the footage should be from the actual game though, since at the end of battles they gain Crystal Points too. The new 30 second ad for FFXIII is crazy hot. Serious CG eyegasm.

The ad in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJiaNlJ-YE
Oh man. That song (which I know I've heard in at least one other ad) is EPIC. I cannot wait to hear the OST.

Zoe

Effect said:

Locke? You could finish the game without him. Celes was the lead in the second part.

Llyranor

Hmm, didn't realize that you actually leveled up 'classes' individually in the sphere grid for each character. That should make party customization pretty interesting both in and out of battle; should play an important role in how you'll want to use the optima system depending on who's in your active party.

Can you actually switch chars in and out of battle, or are you stuck with the 3 you've brought? I haven't seen this info anywhere (and thus guessing not).

duckroll

Llyranor said:
Can you actually switch chars in and out of battle, or are you stuck with the 3 you've brought? I haven't seen this info anywhere (and thus guessing not).

You can't switch characters or the leader in a battle. If you feel you made a bad decision during the battle, you can opt to "restart" placing you back on the field before the battle so you can change your configurations.

Llyranor

duckroll said:
You can't switch characters or the leader in a battle. If you feel you made a bad decision during the battle, you can opt to "restart" placing you back on the field before the battle so you can change your configurations.
That's a pretty cool optional feature. Respeccing your party prior to a difficulty battle if needed/desired. Very nice!

Sanjay said:
That means it has HD Audio right? as long as you got the setup for it.

It means loss less audio.. which is to say uncompressed.. compared to Dolby Digital or other encodings, so it should sound better, yes.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
That's a pretty cool optional feature. Respeccing your party prior to a difficulty battle if needed/desired. Very nice!

The theme of the battle design in FFXIII is "Speedy & Tactics", so I guess it goes hand in hand. I'm definitely excited to try it for myself this coming week. The idea is that they removed many elements which generally slow a command based battle system down (so no MP, no Wait ATB, you control only the leader, no swapping of characters, everything happens at the same time instead of sequentially, etc) but at the same time they added many elements to ensure the battles remained tactical and strategic. Hopefully it all works out.

Zoe said:
Lossless has nothing to do with whether it's compressed or not.

You're right, I should have been more clear.. Dolby Digital is a lossy compression.. TrueHD, etc. are not.

LPCM on blu-ray format is usually uncompressed thanks to the ample space provided.

Llyranor

duckroll said:
The theme of the battle design in FFXIII is "Speedy & Tactics", so I guess it goes hand in hand. I'm definitely excited to try it for myself this coming week. The idea is that they removed many elements which generally slow a command based battle system down (so no MP, no Wait ATB, you control only the leader, no swapping of characters, everything happens at the same time instead of sequentially, etc) but at the same time they added many elements to ensure the battles remained tactical and strategic. Hopefully it all works out.
Yeah, I was pretty skeptical at first, especially after the loss of full party control. But the actual battle system design actually seems pretty intriguing now, and the various systems do seem like they should provide for interesting customization and tactics. It's different, but all sounds pretty promising (certainly more so than 'you can't pick your targets' -__-). I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
Yeah, I was pretty skeptical at first, especially after the loss of full party control. But the actual battle system design actually seems pretty intriguing now, and the various systems do seem like they should provide for interesting customization and tactics. It's different, but all sounds pretty promising (certainly more so than 'you can't pick your targets' -__-). I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Another thing I don't think has been mentioned much is the Auto-Command. When you select the Auto-Command, it automatically allocates commands on your ATB string based on the situation of the battle and the leader's Role. It's supposed to be relatively bright, and I would imagine it is similar to the AI the other party members would be using. It's interesting because with the battles and loading being lightning quick, this could make casual encounters when backtracking or exploring even faster.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
Can't you easily avoid battles since they're on screen, though?

From what I have seen so far of the game, yes and no. On an open field like the Pulse overworld, sure you will be able to easily avoid most monsters because there's tons of room to move around, and most of them are huge and slow anyway. But when you're in a dungeon type field map, it might not be that easy. If there's a narrow road or highway path, and the enemy guards are patrolling in groups of 3, or places in strategic checkpoints as guards, then you either cannot avoid the fights, or you will have to use other paths like tunnels to avoid the battles (like seen in the TGS Lightning demo).

Llyranor said:
Can't you easily avoid battles since they're on screen, though?
Yep, just run from them or use stealth(hide behind stuff, stay out of their line if vision) to make sure they don't see you as you pass.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:

I was reading the chinese version of Famitsu and they also mentioned that you do not have to wait for the ATB bars to fill up when you want to use TP abilities.
To make it more tactical, special abilities like the previously annonunced Scene Drive(or what ever the romanisation is) must be used carefully. When used at the right moment, you can cause good damage or break an enemy. Using without thought would mean the wasting of a full ATB bar and also waste your chains/battle ranking. It's not meant to be an ultimate attack (in other words not a limit break).

duckroll

entrydenied said:
I was reading the chinese version of Famitsu and they also mentioned that you do not have to wait for the ATB bars to fill up when you want to use TP abilities.
To make it more tactical, special abilities like the previously annonunced Scene Drive(or what ever the romanisation is) must be used carefully. When used at the right moment, you can cause good damage or break an enemy. Using without thought would mean the wasting of a full ATB bar and also waste your chains/battle ranking. It's not meant to be an ultimate attack (in other words not a limit break).

TP Abilities are special, they don't take up any ATB to use, but they cost TP. This means they have to be used very carefully, since you can't spam them at all. The TP Abilities are the ones which are similar to "limit breaks" in that sense, rather than Scene Drives. TP Abilities include Quake (damage to ALL enemies), Full Cure, Summoning, and Libra. Libra is the lowest costing TP Ability, and the one that is recommended to be used in any battle you are unfamiliar with for you to understand the enemies you are fighting better.

Scene Drives are simply the most advanced techniques each character has in a certain Role based on what I understand, and like you said just because they take up all the ATB bars at once does not mean they will do the most damage compared to other attacks, but it's all about how you time your moves and how it is applied based on the situation.

faridmon

duckroll said:
Birth by Sleep million seller confirmed o_0

Acosta

I shouldn't have watched that commercial, now I have the urge to reach the credit card and import it, but I will resist!

Top Bottom