• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 (PC/PS3) June 14th, New trailer

antitrop

Square sent me a Beta e-mail like every single week for the last several months, but I haven't had the care to try it out (I did Beta test it in 2010, rofl).

What are the early impressions? Is this going to be the "real" Final Fantasy XIV that people want? I sure hope so, I certainly don't like seeing the brand tarnished like it was.

notworksafe

June 14?! Aw man I was hoping it'd be up on Saturday. :(

EDIT: @antitrop, it's much improved over 1.0 and plays like you would expect a "real" MMO to play. I really enjoyed what I played of the earlier beta so it's worth checking out, especially since Phase 3 is supposed to have improvements and changes over the last two phases.

hteng

Banned
lol i guess my thread kinda sucked, this should do!

someone gotta gif those animations

edit: thanks Mognet for giffing this :D

iIz7bP7cpKp4h.gif

Mognet

Much improved animations over XIV, they looked so stiff and awkward in the original release, especially if you picked Highlander.

i agree. this also sounds promising from the Q&A stream in regards to Monk:

In regards to monk which was shown on the stream, using a single weapon skill will determine a “form” which will determine the next weapon skill you can use. Additionally, you will be able to link forms together. Depending on the form you can receive a haste effect which will reduce your global cooldown, so by linking a bunch of forms it will really open up possibilities.

reson8or

So, forgive my ignorance on XIV, but this seems VERY XI like. Is ARR being positioned as a new XI instead of its own game?

hteng

Banned
i agree. this also sounds promising from the Q&A stream in regards to Monk:

damn monk sounds fun to play, it actually fits their style with comboing into different branches of weapon skills

So, forgive my ignorance on XIV, but this seems VERY XI like. Is ARR being positioned as a new XI instead of its own game?

absolutely not, SE would be competing with themselves if they made it too much XI. Any resembles to XI is only aesthetics, like some of the monster models are reused in this game. The game plays completely different from XI and it's much more accessible and modern.

Khrno

E3 should have SMN and SCH videos, come on I want to see them!

No, it only shares the races resemblance. It has nothing else to do with XI besides that it is a FF game and happen to be MMO.

Pachimari

People who have signed up, have you already gotten an invite?

I haven't gotten anything and it'll be the first MMO I'll try out. =(

Oh man Monk is looking awesome. I'm such a sucker for H2H classes, especially FF Monks.
Still can't decide what race/gender I want to be.

Zabant

Is this the first beta for PS3 version? Interested if it runs good but I've been hearing it might be best to pass on that version.

i hope to god the ps3 isn't a bottleneck for upgrades 5 years down the line like the ps2 was for XI

Ricker

Do I have to re-apply if I was in the first 2 beta's phases(PC obviously)...? if I go to the launcher now it says unable to check version intergrety...I hope not and I can just patch it...

JudgeN

Is that Aspidochelone that I see roaming in the background?

Its Genbu

GENBUS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Seriously people need to give this game a chance, Yoshi-P is doing a hell of a job trying to turn the turd that was FFXIV into something amazing. We all know if this fails he's going to take all the blame so lets give this guy all the support we can.

hteng

Banned
Dat Dragoon. I thought the next phase was on the 1st? Maybe I dreamed it.

It was hinted by Yoshi in the latest producer letter as 4 days after E3, E3 is around 10 June, so we speculate it'll be on 14 june. The 1st of June is abit too soon, they didn't send out any invites yet.

Is this the first beta for PS3 version? Interested if it runs good but I've been hearing it might be best to pass on that version.

It runs alright, there are limitations as always though, I see animations getting cut due to how crowded some of the instances will be. Better get the PC version if you have the rig to support it and wants the best experience.

Teknoman

I just hope hitting enemies with a sword or axe wont sound like blunt hits anymore. Also I guess Monk will be my third job until they bring a great sword job. Really like the Paladin's skills.

WarMacheen

Square sent me a Beta e-mail like every single week for the last several months, but I haven't had the care to try it out (I did Beta test it in 2010, rofl).

What are the early impressions? Is this going to be the "real" Final Fantasy XIV that people want? I sure hope so, I certainly don't like seeing the brand tarnished like it was.

and I signed up with several addresses a long ass time ago and haven't received a single invite.

N.A

Banned
Some info on how monk and dragoon play:

Q38: Please tell us about each job’s unique features, such as dragoons specialities for physical attack and the difference between the two tanks, paladin and warrior.

A38: Dragoon is your standard damage dealer. However, by attacking from behind or the from the side of your enemy you will get bonuses and buffs. These bonuses can stack and enhance your damage. Also, when you talk about dragoon of course they have jump, and in ARR we will have a variety of different jumps. You can use jump to get close, leg sweep to stun, and then run behind them and attack with a multitude of abilities.

In regards to monk which was shown on the stream, using a single weapon skill will determine a “form” which will determine the next weapon skill you can use. Additionally, you will be able to link forms together. Depending on the form you can receive a haste effect which will reduce your global cooldown, so by linking a bunch of forms it will really open up possibilities.

With that said, each damage dealer has their own special characteristics, just as classes/jobs and paladin/warrior have their special differences.

Do I have to re-apply if I was in the first 2 beta's(PC obviously)...? if I go to the launcher now it says unable to check version intergrety...I hope not and I can just patch it...

Nope, you are automatically in. The patch servers are down atm, that's why you get that error.

If they were clever they'd let me into the beta, coz I always get addicted no matter how shit a beta is....yet when i have to buy the game without ever trying I never jump into MMO's.

:p

Burt

The animations all look superb, definitely the best I've ever seen in an MMO. The paladin's body shaking after that backhand stab, the warrior's feet flailing as the momentum from his axe whips him around, the cloth physics on the black mage, and all the other little details stick out as being way beyond anything done in other MMOs. I could see the size and speed of the effects making battle a little hectic and make it a little hard to discern what's going on in a group, but it still all looks really good.

hteng

Banned
If they were clever they'd let me into the beta, coz I always get addicted no matter how shit a beta is....yet when i have to buy the game without ever trying I never jump into MMO's.

:p

sign up :D they are putting 20 servers online for phase 3, there were 500k testers registered since alpha and around 100k testing simultaneously during test time.

People who were in phase 2 get into this automatically right? Or do i need to sign up again?

nope, you are on board the ride until the official launch unless you decide not to subscribe to the game

My god, that music, that BLM, that WHM, I cant breath.

Are you starting over?, I kinda want to myself.

From what I hear there is no point. You can keep money, equip and class. But skills are reset because they have new storyline for them. So you are going to reacquire the skills, you are simply bringing stuff from the previous era into this one. Chances are they will have new equipment and methods of getting things so there will be a visual distinction between the legacy and the new players.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My god, that music, that BLM, that WHM, I cant breath.

Are you starting over?, I kinda want to myself.

I thought of you I have white and black mage. Yeah, I guess I'm starting over. I dunno how that all works if my previous guy carries over or not. I will go a new direction though. Its either Paladin or Warrior for me. I dislike the Monk weapons so much they completely put me off the class.

Khrno

I thought of you I have white and black mage. Yeah, I guess I'm starting over. I dunno how that all works if my previous guy carries over or not. I will go a new direction though. Its either Paladin or Warrior for me. I dislike the Monk weapons so much they completely put me off the class.

You should keep the character, it would help already having a lv50 job, you just need to level the ones you want to play now.

daveo42

Banned
Another really nice trailer for this game. Really liking the new animations. I really really really want this game to be good. I'm hoping I'll get an email soon for this, thought I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play it that weekend with TLOU coming out as well.

Some info on how monk and dragoon play:

Nope, you are automatically in. The patch servers are down atm, that's why you get that error.

Hmm...

Is there a way to check if I was in the beta? I may be remembering wrong, but I thought I was in the beta for this way back. Or is the beta admission different for ARR?

Top Bottom