• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Signups Open & Opening Movie Released

The quest writing in the alpha was excellent, not overdrawn or rambling, but very detailed at the same time.

And yes if you don't like "Answers" (the trailer music) you have no soul.

Wes

venison crêpe
Need some help with the latter, newer, part of the trailer (as I didn't play the original release of XIV). Were the characters and locations known from the original landscape/world or were they showing off new areas? Just trying to get a grip of the tone here.

Hope to get in to the beta also. I love the UI.

N.A

Banned
Need some help with the latter, newer, part of the trailer (as I didn't play the original release of XIV). Were the characters and locations known from the original landscape/world or were they showing off new areas? Just trying to get a grip of the tone here.

Hope to get in to the beta also. I love the UI.

The main characters shown (the ones who get teleported) are not ingame characters but meant to symbolize players. The other characters shown are members of The Circle of Knowing, these are Louisoix's followers (the old guy who fights Bahamut). These characters will be important as part of the main story will be to uncover what happened to Louisoix.

The locations were transformed parts of old locations + The Crystal Tower.

LTWheels

Question: if everyone is sent forward in time, how is everything destroyed rebuilt and fixed when they arrive in the future?

Zomba13

Question: if everyone is sent forward in time, how is everything destroyed rebuilt and fixed when they arrive in the future?

Only all players and some story NPCs were sent forward I think. The majority of the world was left to deal with the destruction etc

LuuKyK

Shit, im away from home for at least one more week. For how long will I be able to sign up? I could do it via mobile but i dont have my XIII code here anyway... :/

LTWheels

Only all players and some story NPCs were sent forward I think. The majority of the world was left to deal with the destruction etc

Typical. Cut and run letting the ordinary citizens do all the hard work. I tell'ya these heros are only after the glory.

CTLance

Maaaan, they can really do trailers, can't they?

Yet, after getting burned with the FF14 CE there is no way in hell I will ever be able to return. I don't even know where my FF14 RSA key is, and without that logging into my account might be a bit of a hassle...

Still, I like that intro/trailer. Quite neat.

Entered this morning, thanks for the heads-up OP.

Doubt I'll get in though - didn't play FFXIII.
I thinks it's odd though that SE gives preference to that game, and not FFXI Online (which I played and beta tested on Xbox.)

The expectation of FFXIV is pretty much the only reason I kept my PS3.

Srsly

Banned
ARR is a totally different (almost new) game, I see no point in having an NDA anyway, SE were showing off mundane alpha footage like no tomorrow.

It's still FFXIV. If I bought FFXIV and wanted to talk about its current state, I should be able to do so.

dammit I forgot to add my XIII beta code (I still have easy access to it too)

Wonder if I can re-submit with a different email.....or even add it to the same email.

Teknoman

So FFXIV was bad right? Didn't people say the ARR alpha was bad? So bad that Square said "we're going to totally change the combat, don't worry!"

It's like I'm watching a man being slowly lowered into a pit of lava.

Nothing like that.

FFXIV 1.0 pre team change was bad, post team change was much better but still restricted by its previous team decisions. 2.0 alpha was just to test best connectivity and combat functions, so most classes/combat functions/special systems werent in yet. 2.0 beta looks to be a test of decent length to make sure everything is where it should be...unlike 1.0.

The quest writing in the alpha was excellent, not overdrawn or rambling, but very detailed at the same time.

And yes if you don't like "Answers" (the trailer music) you have no soul.

The changes in the messages for quests and overall UI was one of the best improvements for me while playing the bit of alpha that I did. Before every quest would have paragraphs of overly detailed information. Even the most simple leve quest involving killing X of a certain monster would be bloated with tons of tiny text. It's all so much cleaner and to the point now.

So glad I gave the game enough of a chance before to make Legacy status. Can't wait to be in the Beta!

teiresias

So I'm automatically in as a Legacy member? Do I still need to register at the site or can I just boot up the old client and log in and I'll get the ARR client? Or do I uninstall the old client? I'm so confused.

So I'm automatically in as a Legacy member? Do I still need to register at the site or can I just boot up the old client and log in and I'll get the ARR client? Or do I uninstall the old client? I'm so confused.

If you're Legacy, there's no need to do anything.
You will get an email with details and links once they're ready.

I've been wondering the same thing. Will everyone start over from 0, or will people who played 1.0 get to start right off the bat with their old powerful characters?

You'll have access to your character data from 1.0 in Phase 3 of the beta.

Any progress you make in phase 3 will be wiped before Phase 4, but you'll be able to use your 1.0 character in Phase 4 and launch as well.

In Phase 1 and 2 you'll be starting fresh if you get in to those phases.

Top Bottom