• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khatoz

From what I've seen Archers draw ALOT of aggro. Did Tam Tara last night and the Archer we had kept pulling aggro away from tank. They should fix that.

As a level 50 tank I haven't noticed much difference between an archer or another high dps class aggro wise. All of them can get a lot of hate but with the proper rotations, you have every tool you may need.

Healer aggro on the other hand is something they might have to take a look into.

In my defense, I have yet to meet a tank in this game who doesn't stand around with his dick in his hand for what seems like an eternity after every pull, so I see fit to take matters into my own hands (not to mention that instances so far have been miserably easy - I even ended up damage tanking a boss and we got along just fine).

Congratulations.

You're the kind of person that both tanks and healers hate in dungeons.

In terms of tanking, what are your strategies for when a second group of enemies spawn and attack, while you're still focusing on one group?
As a tank, is it expected of you to draw the enmity of the second group or to continue your focus on taking the first group down (thus letting the DPS deal with them)
Furthermore, what if you're a tank and there's a boss mob, you have him on you with the enmity and then more mobs spawn, do you risk getting the enmity of the new group at the expense of possibly losing it on the boss?

Moaradin

As a level 50 tank I haven't noticed much difference between an archer or another high dps class aggro wise. All of them can get a lot of hate but with the proper rotations, you have every tool you may need.

Healer aggro on the other hand is something they might have to take a look into.

Yea, I've that noticed healers aggro the adds all the time in the dungeons I've ran.

supergiz

Ran into one of those dbag instance ppl. Guy starts shouting at us right when we zone into the dungeon after we tell him its our first find. We make it to the end doing well and he says we only have two chances to kill the boss then he will leave.

Dude was talking to us the whole time like we were his kids or something. One of the few times I have wanted to reach out from the computer and punch somebody.

teiresias

Ran into one of those dbag instance ppl. Guy starts shouting at us right when we zone into the dungeon after we tell him its our first find. We make it to the end doing well and he says we only have two chances to kill the boss then he will leave.

Dude was talking to us the whole time like we were his kids or something. One of the few times I have wanted to reach out from the computer and punch somebody.

I've found my blacklist getting full very quickly in this game.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member

If I'm getting a lot of hate from adds in a boss fight what is the rule of thumb as a healer; stand still, or run at the tank?

dramatis

Yea, I've noticed healers aggro the adds all the time in the dungeons I've ran.
Drives me nuts! I want to heal but I don't want to die! :( The tanks are unhappy when I don't heal but to stay alive I have to moderate lol. Shroud of Saints doesn't do enough to mitigate.

Khatoz

In terms of tanking, what are your strategies for when a second group of enemies spawn and attack, while you're still focusing on one group?
As a tank, is it expected of you two draw the enmity of the second group or to continue your focus on taking the first group down (thus letting the DPS deal with them)
Furthermore, what if you're a tank and there's a boss mob, you have him on you with the enmity and then more mobs spawn, do you risk getting the enmity of the new group at the expense of possibly losing it on the boss?

Usually I'm the one chain pulling. So I time my aoe attacks when pulling the second group. This is why you need your dps to focus on a target at a time. But even if they don't do it. You still Tab rotate on all targets, just putting extra attention to the main focus.

For boss fights in which adds spawns, usually everyone should change the focus to the adds. There are fights in which as a tank you don't need to pick every add, like Cutter's Cry, but you want to pick the adds that have high HP/damage that might fuck up your team mates.

Rafterman

Banned
Less QQ more pew pew, mirite?

Oh wait we can't log in to pew pew. :(

As a healer sometimes I just start pulling when the tank goes too slow. I've tanked plenty, I know what he (and I) can handle.

No you don't.

Not everyone is at the same skill level and some people are just learning. Just because you can do something doesn't mean they can. It's seriously fucking annoying when dps or healers pull. God forbid you have to wait an extra 15 seconds for the tank to do his job.

teiresias

If I'm getting a lot of hate from adds in a boss fight what is the rule of thumb as a healer; stand still, or run at the tank?

The other night in the boss of Tam I would pull the adds off of the healer since the DPS guys were crap in dealing with them, and so long as the healer didn't have to worry about himself I knew I was pretty well safe.

Khatoz

Always run to the tank, running away makes it harder to get hate back. Also be aware of any frontal aoes that might hit you when running to the tank.

RK9039

As a tank, is it expected of you to draw the enmity of the second group or to continue your focus on taking the first group down (thus letting the DPS deal with them)

This happens a lot during boss fights. I always get near them as they spawn and use flash on them, and then I get the main target (the boss) and the adds to gather together for Overpower, this is also when I use my main buffs like Foresight and the healing one, Bloodbath I think.

It always works. The other party members are usually smart enough to take care of the adds while I spam Overpower, and my leech abilities.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Most cases running towards the tank is the best choice. Same thing applies to adds, if any come your way head straight to the tank immediately.

Acerac

Banned
No you don't.

Not everyone is at the same skill level and some people are just learning. Just because you can do something doesn't mean they can. It's seriously fucking annoying when dps or healers pull. God forbid you have to wait an extra 15 seconds for the tank to do his job.
You say that, but when I pull the tanks always seem perfectly capable of picking up the adds.

I'd not be doing this if it meant I died. Thankfully it doesn't.

Firehead

ibdfLQRDx9I9dL.png

Feel free to add this to the avatar list in the OT. :)

Robin64

I've only tanked the three lowbie dungeons and Ifrit, but observations so far are:

DPS classes need to watch their threat and realise this is not a stupid WoW recount log contest.
Healers need to just output less threat, period, but that's on Square's end.
And the reason I "stand around with my dick in my hand" after a pull is because I had to spam Overpower to stop the DPS getting aggro, meaning I now have 0 TP. Give us a chance to regen it, eh? ;)

Riposte

I've only tanked the three lowbie dungeons and Ifrit, but observations so far are:

DPS classes need to watch their threat and realise this is not a stupid WoW recount log contest.
Healers need to just output less threat, period, but that's on Square's end.
And the reason I "stand around with my dick in my hand" after a pull is because I had to spam Overpower to stop the DPS getting aggro, meaning I now have 0 TP. Give us a chance to regen it, eh? ;)

Use Flash.

happypup

I personally hate it when the DPS pulls, I'm a tank I have a pulling move, so don't worry about that. I even use signs on groups of mobs, and some of these guys don't even let me get the enmity.

If they pull a mob which I deliberately ignore (because I'm focused on others or w/e) I just let them deal with/die. In my party you only have one job as a damage dealer, just attack the one with '1' on it's head after I get the aggro. So far the best damage dealer for me is the Black Mage/Thaumaturge, some of those guys know how to use Sleep really well.

I am a dps and I agree completely with you. My job is to shorten the length of the encounter by taking the mobs down faster. It is a very important job. the longer an encounter goes the more likely something will go wrong. I can only do that if I don't have aggro (Monk so flank and behind a mob produces the most damage.

I stay behind the tank during dungeons, never click on anything, and attack who I am asked to attack until they are dead. If I wanted more of a role in decision making I would be a tank.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Always run to the tank, running away makes it harder to get hate back. Also be aware of any frontal aoes that might hit you when running to the tank.

I ran into that this morning with Ifrit. It was intense and kept me on my toes. FIGHT SPOILER:
It took two tries for our team. We didn't realize that you had to hit the damn nail. But the team stayed positive.

I could really use more group healing practice. I promised both the new and the old gods if they let me back on I'd heal everyone I came across...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom