• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

depward

So end-game questions:

I have all of my level 45-50 WHM job gear. I've supplemented those pieces with some quality accessories and the like from the Marketplace.

I now have open a Twin Adders quest to go to AK. But from what I've read... I should have some DL gear in order to do that dungeon.

So questions are:

1) Never have done AK before but feel like a competent healer. Will I get scoffed at running it and saying at the beginning first time // read up boss strats while running ZERO DL gear (yet)?

2) Should I look to run it before acquiring some DL gear or going to Wanderer's Palace?

T.O.P

Banned
I now have open a Twin Adders quest to go to AK. But from what I've read... I should have some DL gear in order to do that dungeon.

as a healer you don't have to worry at all, people looking for DL and Relic are in for a speed run and nothing else

and ak is doable with AF and lvl 55 wep easily dps-wise

daveo42

Banned
So end-game questions:

I have all of my level 45-50 WHM job gear. I've supplemented those pieces with some quality accessories and the like from the Marketplace.

So questions are:

1) Never have done AK before but feel like a competent healer. Will I get scoffed at running it and saying at the beginning first time // read up boss strats while running ZERO DL gear (yet)?

2) Should I look to run it before acquiring some DL gear or going to Wanderer's Palace?

You don't need DL gear to run AK. You can run WP to get some in-between gear if you want but it's not needed. If you can, get your Ifrit Cane to help out with healing, but again, not 100% needed.

Really, knowing the fights helps the most and keeping a cool head is about all you need. I'd say go with an FC group so that you don't run the risk of getting a group that isn't open to showing you the ropes and is forgiving if the party wipes.

Yondy604

Banned
Your first time from level 40-50 is awfully boring. Having only two dungeons as efficient ways to get the items to purchase your gear doesn't help either.

Then there is the problem of getting a team to beat Titan (Hard). The fact is that most people suck at moving around for some reason. Not to mention someone will rage-quit after 2 or 3 tries.

And Duty Finder needs some kind of gear level requirement for Titan as well. People going in with nearly all AF gear? Expect to lose.

Titan is supposed to be a skill check, if people can't do it, maybe they should find something else to do in FFXIV?.

I don't think that's harsh btw, I think people who can't do it is an excuse for lack of trying.

Took me 5 days to down titan, and it makes you feel good when you finally get it done.

Cmagus

It's more important you know the fights in AK. Overall the three boss fights are simple.

boss 1: spank and tank / kill some golems (depending on party)

Demon Wall: just remember the pattern
Side--middle--side--middle (face him so when he does his knock back you don't fall off) and then repeat. After he does two knock backs he spawns two gnats nuke them down while keeping the above pattern going then it's just finishing him off.

Boss 3: Attack him for abit and when you see imminent catastrophe get behind the statues. Right after dps nukes the add and just keep repeating. The only other thing to know is that when you are targeted run to the back away from the rest and drop the bomb off there.

That being said Darklight is never bad to have.

chrono01

My first time hitting the Wall of Shame! \(^_^)/

As for my progress, I'm still working towards full DL gear so I can fight HM Titan and obtain my Relic [I'm currently up to the step where HM Garuda is required]. I have my DL Pants as well as Waist. I'm working towards my Head/Chest now just so I don't look/feel horribly mismatched.

It might feel like slow to some but I'm still really enjoying myself. I don't mind putting in a bit of time towards my goals, so having something to work towards is definitely appreciated. Either way, I'm subscribed for six months so I'm invested!

depward

Cool thanks all. Just been reading conflicting end-game progression guides and CAME TO THE PEEPS I TRUST.

Thanks :D (I may spam FC tonight to see if anyone wants to AK run).

Tarazet

Cool, Wall of Shame. Surprising since I pretty much only post at work and maybe one before I go to bed.

Loving Archer, and wondering why I didn't roll it before. Just as satisfying and mechanically easy to play as Warrior, but it's ranged! I put enough levels into Lancer to get Blood for Blood already, though I need a couple more for PGL before I can unlock BRD since I stopped at 12 for Internal Release.

Does Weaver pretty much make DoW chest and legs all the way up? I remember that even my AF Warrior pants were cloth.

Baleoce

Why do Allagan pieces go for more on the market board than what they NPC for? Is it a case of people being stupid, or is there some other use for them? Or perhaps they're connected to those allagan armour sets?

TheMink

I had a lock out of all major keyboard controller options EXCEPT movement and typing.

PS3 ver

Had to restart my console.

Anyone else have this problem?

letterboxart

Neo Member
As a healer, is there a way to focus target the tank and then regularly target the mob and then easily cure my focus target while casting DoTs and whatnot on the mob? I cant seem to find a command for it.
Cast on focus target: /ac "Physick" <f>
Cast on mouseover target: /ac "Physick" <mo>
Cast on target of target: /ac "Physick" <tt>

Damage spells can be macroed to cast on <t> and <tt> (so that you can dot or cast energy drain while targeting the tank):
/micon "Energy Drain"
/ac "Energy Drain" <t>
/ac "Energy Drain" <tt>

For healing spells, you can't have one macro handle both <tt> and <t> because <tt> defaults to self instead of falling to the next line in the macro (if you target a player who targets a mob).

Man I was off for about 2 and 1/2 weeks. was so sick then I had to make up so much I was too busy to play.
im not sure if I want to renew my subscription right now or wait a while.

Cool, Wall of Shame. Surprising since I pretty much only post at work and maybe one before I go to bed.

Loving Archer, and wondering why I didn't roll it before. Just as satisfying and mechanically easy to play as Warrior, but it's ranged! I put enough levels into Lancer to get Blood for Blood already, though I need a couple more for PGL before I can unlock BRD since I stopped at 12 for Internal Release.

Does Weaver pretty much make DoW chest and legs all the way up? I remember that even my AF Warrior pants were cloth.

Love the Bard, too. So much so that I'm kind of bummed that I'm up to Garuda on my Dragoon Relic Weapon quest, because I really prefer Bard to it.

Alucrid

Banned
Coil cleared in 80 mins. Not bad, two wipes on T4 just to get back in the swing of things.

Too much stupid monk loot too.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Needle of the Luminary get. That's a lot of weaving. I'd rather it wear on the side but ah well.

SQNeMKi.png

Titan is supposed to be a skill check, if people can't do it, maybe they should find something else to do in FFXIV?.

I don't think that's harsh btw, I think people who can't do it is an excuse for lack of trying.

Took me 5 days to down titan, and it makes you feel good when you finally get it done.

I've been at it for a week. Can't get a team competent enough to avoid all of the hazards. Normally lose 2-3 DPS within 1 minute of heart phase, if we can make it to heart phase at all. I just wanna roll with the big kids, but not knowing anyone that is good is really hurting my experience.

Teknoman

I see Veronique, Sumie, and Ragnar in the GT review...we had a GT person recording for the review in the FC? Thats crazy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I've been at it for a week. Can't get a team competent enough to avoid all of the hazards. Normally lose 2-3 DPS within 1 minute of heart phase, if we can make it to heart phase at all. I just wanna roll with the big kids, but not knowing anyone that is good is really hurting my experience.

Took me 2 weeks to get to know good people and start networking with a group of competent players.

After Titan was down we formed a successful coil group containing many of those members.

If you think a Titan group is hard, you will hate forming a coil group. Use this time to your advantage and start getting to know people at your gear level and timezone.

Cryst

Took me 2 weeks to get to know good people and start networking with a group of competent players.

After Titan was down we formed a successful coil group containing many of those members.

If you think a Titan group is hard, you will hate forming a coil group. Use this time to your advantage and start getting to know people at your gear level and timezone.

This was similar to my Titan HM experience. Two friends and I started with Mor Dhona shout pugs, but that didn't go anywhere for about a week. The issue I found with most pugs was that failure was not an option, and once one person ragequits, the party disintegrates, wasting the 20 minutes I spent forming the group. Eventually, one group managed to get past heart phase consistently, but we ran out of time with an impending server maintenance, so a handful of us added each other as friends, and formed a semi-static group.

Took about 2-3 hours of attempts across 3 days before we got him. Most of that time was actually spent cycling people in and out since many people had other obligations or had things come up. Try starting your own semi-static group with players who you get along well with, or who exhibit patience and wouldn't mind spending more time on the fight. And like Diablos said above, it's also a good way to network, especially if you're not in an active FC, or one at all (my situation).

aceface

Yeah certainly does.

I try not to push the subject in groups though because a few healer friends of mines just genuinely don't enjoy dpsing. So I assume there's more healers out there that feel that way too. Not gonna lie though, sometimes I get in that mood where I wanna just sit back heal and shoot the breeze in chat too.

Just started healing and if I'm only healing I feel like I'm not doing anything half the time. If I didn't throw some DPS in there I'd get bored.

TheWriter

Aurum Vale with an inexperienced party is just ... wow. What an absolutely crazy dungeon to be a healer in. Eat the fruits, guys, eat them please! Don't wait until tick 5! And there is nothing in there that is worth the trouble.
Toto-Rak and Vale are by far my least favorite dungeons, just horrid design imho.

Kandinsky

Why is this thread not in community again? MH3U one got tossed there with the second, biased gaf is biased omg!.

Anyways, what level is story Garuda?, npc are starting to namedrop her and I'm only 38.

Mileena

Banned
I fail to see the point in Odin when you can't even target him.

he's also boring and you can't really get anything good from the thing he drops

I request a Gilgamesh fate that features clash at big bridge remix blaring loud as fuck

Why is this thread not in community again? MH3U one got tossed there with the second, biased gaf is biased omg!.

it goes by how old the game is. FFXIV is just more popular than MH on GAF

Mandoric

Banned
aaah okay, makes sense. is that their only viable way to do it? what's the benefit?

Plausible deniability. Not that that really matters to the STF.

There was also a secondary market in Allaghan coins slightly over NPC price to people who thought they'd end up fulfilling the same function as ancient currency. That's probably died down now that we have Coil 5 clears and still no NPC asking for 'em, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I fail to see the point in Odin when you can't even target him.

I'm totally baffled why in FFXI once you targeted a mob, you were able to back off and get out of range and you would keep the mob in range, even if players and other non-targeted stuff disappeared, yet in FFXIV they apparently said "screw that, let's make it as impossible as possible to fight the thing".

Zomba13

Protip for Odin and Behemoth (and any other super popular FATE like Svara): Turn off name plates and floating text in the options. Turn off spell effects for others. Really helps being able to see and target the mobs. In the last 2 times I've been to them I've had no problem seeing them for the entire duration of the fate by doing this.

3 days seems like the best for me.
All groups have their own schedule on my FC (right now I think everyone is doing 5 days), so I guess it boils down to see how we will schedule the new groups. We just got a decent batch of new relic players (including me :p).

This just comes from the FFXI days for me, when the endgame schedules practically killed my free time on anything excluding work and FFXI...

This game has a really relaxed endgame so far. Once your group learns the fights, it literally becomes a 1 day affair due to not many trash mobs within the instance.

We just cleared from Turn 1 to the beginning of 5 in a little under an hour and a half. Once we get Turn 5 down, sure it'll be a 2 hour a week sort of thing. I don't know if I should be happy about that or sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom