• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why DoT's will randomly have no effect when trying to reapply them?

Like sometimes a DoT will reapply just fine and other times it will have no effect. Just curious as to whether this is a bug or there's some underlying factor I'm missing.

Absol

You're trying to apply a much lesser potent version of the DoT. Like if you activate a skill which increases your critical rate % this will also affect the crit chance of your DoT. Now once that skill is over and the Dot is still ticking and you try to reapply the DoT it won't work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Controller players can run instantly. Just push the left stick away from whatever it is you're trying to avoid. I don't understand the confusion. (Or how anyone could play this or FFXI with KB&M)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Controller players can run instantly. Just push the left stick away from whatever it is you're trying to avoid. I don't understand the confusion. (Or how anyone could play this or FFXI with KB&M)
I can run instantly on Keyboard and Mouse. This game plays like wow, you are basically asking how anyone can play WoW with a Keyboard and mouse

chrono01

I'm always holding down the right mouse button when I play or, at least, the majority of the time. When I need to run/dodge something [such as a red area of death/damage], I have the right mouse button pressed and either strafe left or right [by pressing A or D] or quickly rotate the camera in the opposite direction and run away.

More often than not I cast Sprint and Strafe, it's incredibly fast to move where I need to be.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

lol

Controller elitism, now that 's a first.

Resilient

OK so I've read the very brilliantly put together OP and I'm prepping to jump in at the start of next month. I've got one main question which I'd rather get an answer from you guys, because I plan to make it to end game and hopefully run with members from GAF.

Being from Australia, our net sucks big time. I'm moving on to a 100/40 connection very soon, but I want to know whether lag is going to be a major issue if my char is on a server with most of GAF (if I'm understanding the server situation correctly, you select your server and your character is stuck there, with one free server switch?). I don't want to be playing if it's terrible, but anything under 100ms should be fine...right? Thanks to any help!

KeRaSh

lol

Controller elitism, now that 's a first.

To be honest I don't feel comfortable playing FFXIV with a keyboard.
I played years of FFXI with only a keyboard and I would have laughed at anyone who said a controller was a better way to play the game.

Now the tables have turned.
I can not accurately hit numbers on my keyboard without having to look at it, which forces me to look away from the action. This glance at the keyboard could be the split second that decides if I eat a Landslide or not.
With a controller I can comfortably use 90% of my actions without having to look away from the TV.

Not saying using a controller is better for everyone but the day that I have to start using a keyboard to even have a chance to win a fight is the day I stop playing FFXIV.
I have never participated in any endgame content besides a few lowly HNMs in FFXI and now that I have a 44 DRG without a level cap increase in sight, I could finally have a go at it before the majority of players moves on to new content.

gribbles

Banned
OK so I've read the very brilliantly put together OP and I'm prepping to jump in at the start of next month. I've got one main question which I'd rather get an answer from you guys, because I plan to make it to end game and hopefully run with members from GAF.

Being from Australia, our net sucks big time. I'm moving on to a 100/40 connection very soon, but I want to know whether lag is going to be a major issue if my char is on a server with most of GAF (if I'm understanding the server situation correctly, you select your server and your character is stuck there, with one free server switch?). I don't want to be playing if it's terrible, but anything under 100ms should be fine...right? Thanks to any help!

AusGaffer here playing on Ultros with US gaffers. For the most part the latency is fine and quite smooth, but I have been noticing some occasional lag and rubberbanding, especially in the past day or so. I think this might be more of server-side issue though, especially considering that I can play all my other online games with no lag.

Resilient

AusGaffer here playing on Ultros with US gaffers. For the most part the latency is fine and quite smooth, but I have been noticing some occasional lag and rubberbanding, especially in the past day or so. I think this might be more of server-side issue though, especially considering that I can play all my other online games with no lag.

Hm that sounds good enough to me! Are you at end-game? Last thing I want is to get barred from groups because of my connection, but I think I'll just head on to Ultros!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Started the weekend trying to get in a groove with Garuda HM
20 victories later, NOTHING!

Then yesterday this drops for my PLD:
punLqhAl.jpg

q9z13Xol.jpg

OUnnE8Ql.jpg

Then for the hell of it, try to farm it hoping first drop is BLM Staff... OMFG! (*^_^*):
t3grc24l.jpg

mjTOuxvl.jpg

Surpassed the 1 Million Gil Mark!:
im5qwl6l.jpg

Then tanked 4 Garudas for FC + Friends, got this as a consolation prize lol:
bahfQyhl.jpg

TIDLREAl.jpg

Onwards toward Titan, then Relic & Relic+1, then Coil

Then repeat Relic quest for PLD... Jesus >_<

gribbles

Banned
Hm that sounds good enough to me! Are you at end-game? Last thing I want is to get barred from groups because of my connection, but I think I'll just head on to Ultros!

Yes I am at endgame, and I've successfully tanked and healed all endgame dungeons with the exception of Coil and Titan HM thus far with no problems.

I played years of FFXI with only a keyboard and I would have laughed at anyone who said a controller was a better way to play the game.

I can not accurately hit numbers on my keyboard without having to look at it, which forces me to look away from the action. This glance at the keyboard could be the split second that decides if I eat a Landslide or not.
With a controller I can comfortably use 90% of my actions without having to look away from the TV.

Not saying using a controller is better for everyone but the day that I have to start using a keyboard to even have a chance to win a fight is the day I stop playing FFXIV.
I have never participated in any endgame content besides a few lowly HNMs in FFXI and now that I have a 44 DRG without a level cap increase in sight, I could finally have a go at it before the majority of players moves on to new content.
If you have to look at the keyboard then yeah I imagine that would be troublesome. After practice though you won't even have to think about it. I can't remember the last time I actually looked at my keyboard for any reason.

I generally use the controller for gathering/crafting/solo questing since I can relax a bit. Any kind of group content I'll use kb/m with mouse over macros since I find it easier(healer). Everyone has different preferences though and no one is wrong.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

People can be competent with both controllers and keyboard, I was just laughing at him "not understanding" how anyone can play with kb/m in an MMO. I've tried both but for my own comfort level I prefer kb/m for targeting and instant access to more bindings, plus I don't have to look at my keyboard ever after being accustomed to the MMO layout/bindings for over a decade.

I don't care what other people are using though, as long as they do their jobs. It's silly when people throw a fit over controller use. The controller in FF XIV is pretty robust so bad players will be bad players on either as will the good; the only thing I couldn't get past was using abilities on another hotbar not being as instant as a shift/alt/ctrl press (at least that I could figure out). Switching hotbars vs having access to all of them at once, basically.

Naar

So I want to start getting AF+1. I need Mythology tomes and I dont know where to get them? In CM? Prae? I looked online and it just tells me the number i need, not where to get them. I also have 400 philosophy. Thats from CM?

gribbles

Banned
So I want to start getting AF+1. I need Mythology tomes and I dont know where to get them? In CM? Prae? I looked online and it just tells me the number i need, not where to get them. I also have 400 philosophy. Thats from CM?

Farm AK

Abylim

I had a lock out of all major keyboard controller options EXCEPT movement and typing.

PS3 ver

Had to restart my console.

Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry I'm late, but had this happen to me. Couldnt even send the message i was typing!

Turning my ps3 off seemed to fix it, and havent encountered it again!

Lain

Not sure about it being best, but its really, really good. I've been preaching to WHMs to use their dps skills in groups for awhile now (when I'm on another class), but apparently a lot of them don't like to @.@

Unless the tank isn't very well geared, or people are standing in shit, I could usually dps 70% of the time in AK. 400+ Stones, and 600+ Holys aren't anything to scoff at.

I don't like to DPS as a WHM because if I'm playing a healer in a group it is to heal, not to cast damaging spells. I'm not against throwing out some damage here and there (and if other players are able to constantly cast damaging spells, more power to them), especially if the tank is so well geared I don't need to spend too much time healing him, but it still remains to reason that I'm there to heal because that's what I feel like doing. When I feel like being a DPS, I usually switch to a DPS class.

Ken

oh man ran brayflox for a bit of exp since fates were dead

whm using cure II as default heal, ran oom on aiatar, popped level 2 LB to heal about 500 HP on only the tank

tank kept getting hit by every dragon breath and used cure I on himself instead of keeping emnity up so I had to stop attacking

also another battlemage robe drop. I think my last 3 brayflox runs have all had battlemage robes.

I know the whole "PC Onry" thing is a joke, but I can honestly see where the sentiment stems from sometimes. With most having no keyboard, let alone voice chat of any kind, the communication barrier must be brutal for end game. I know I've had difficulty with some PS3 players in dungeons like Brayflox's Longstop which is a hell of a lot more forgiving.

Hopefully serious PS3 players start using KBs more often, and running voice chat through a nearby PC - even if it's not powerful enough to run the game itself.

Mileena

Banned
You mean the only control scheme for both games? Nooooooob

Although I get a good chuckle out of people using a and d to rotate the camera

Abylim

I know the whole "PC Onry" thing is a joke, but I can honestly see where the sentiment stems from sometimes. With most having no keyboard, let alone voice chat of any kind, the communication barrier must be brutal for end game. I know I've had difficulty with some PS3 players in dungeons like Brayflox's Longstop which is a hell of a lot more forgiving.

Hopefully serious PS3 players start using KBs more often, and running voice chat through a nearby PC - even if it's not powerful enough to run the game itself.

I have a keyboard set up just for this game. I started out thinking I'd be fine for the most part without one, but after awhile it became obvious I wouldnt be able to get by.
But you're right, a lot of people dont talk in dungeons, and it can lead to wipes.

Speaking as a person who played the shit out of WoW, FF14 is a smooth transition to controller MMO'ing for me. I'm very happy with targetting, since discovering the R1 or L1 targeting stuff.

RPGCrazied

When is 2.1 suppose to hit? How much do you think a house will cost? I only have 22k gil right now. Still haven't done Titan. But I don't know if I want to duty finder this. Its all I have though.

oh man ran brayflox for a bit of exp since fates were dead

whm using cure II as default heal, ran oom on aiatar, popped level 2 LB to heal about 500 HP on only the tank

tank kept getting hit by every dragon breath and used cure I on himself instead of keeping emnity up so I had to stop attacking

also another battlemage robe drop. I think my last 3 brayflox runs have all had battlemage robes.
I ran Cutters Cry all last weekend to try and get thr body harness drop for DoW. Wound up seeing it only once after like 7-8 runs and it went to the DRG at the time. I think I have all but 2 pieces of Armor I can wear from CC. I just want a new body armor to get rid of this silly looking infantry shirt with the stupid purple ribbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom