• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is this real life.

Well at least they should just do away with "key items" entirely and give us those slots...

While they are it they should turn all the weekly tokens/beast tribe coins into currency like the tomestones. Literally no reason we should have to carry all that.

Squishy3

Is this real life.

Well at least they should just do away with "key items" entirely and give us those slots...
It's just the way the servers work, probably because character data is stored on a server separate from the worlds themselves.

It's why during off-peak hours you can make characters on servers that were otherwise full because world capacity is determined by characters currently on rather than characters created. So when you move zones, it's probably checking the character server or whatever. Additionally why you can't send tells to people in duties etc. as they literally don't exist on the same server that you're on because the character data is now present on the instance server.

I finished Minos Lux the other day! The nerfs helped the 240 stage blaze by. It looks so underwhelming in the character viewer but in game it's actually really nice so that was a welcome change.

Pic related

d0sbfKc.jpg

dabig2

Speaking of inventory, just purchased a 3rd retainer. I'm a serious packrat who's still procrastinating on leveling my gatherers and crafters. So I keep storing junk materials that I think or know I'll need eventually when I do begin leveling my crafting, which will hopefully be soon (says every procrastinator).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Speaking of inventory, just purchased a 3rd retainer. I'm a serious packrat who's still procrastinating on leveling my gatherers and crafters. So I keep storing junk materials that I think or know I'll need eventually when I do begin leveling my crafting, which will hopefully be soon (says every procrastinator).

Just be aware that they hold your items hostage once their contract is up. You have to purchase them again for the remainder of your sub time once it's up if you want your items back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's just the way the servers work, probably because character data is stored on a server separate from the worlds themselves.

It's why during off-peak hours you can make characters on servers that were otherwise full because world capacity is determined by characters currently on rather than characters created. So when you move zones, it's probably checking the character server or whatever. Additionally why you can't send tells to people in duties etc. as they literally don't exist on the same server that you're on because the character data is now present on the instance server.

Man if that's accurate that's just so bizarre. It does make a whole lot of sense though.

So I'm like level 52 and doing 2.x stuff and my inventory is nearly completely full of crafting items from the past ~200 quests. I haven't leveled anything besides my main class, what's the best job to just use up items to free up space? I already have the two servant people as storage mules, but they're full up too.

Edzi

So I'm like level 52 and doing 2.x stuff and my inventory is nearly completely full of crafting items from the past ~200 quests. I haven't leveled anything besides my main class, what's the best job to just use up items to free up space? I already have the two servant people as storage mules, but they're full up too.

If you're not a crafter, just throw them away. You'll never stop getting garbage like that that just fills your inventory.

Squishy3

Man if that's accurate that's just so bizarre. It does make a whole lot of sense though.
Yeah I don't know how exactly they handle the item stuff, but the fact your character doesn't get stored on the "world" is 100% true, since you can only make new characters when the world isn't full due to the fact upon finishing character creation you're dropped into the game, versus say, WoW, where upon finishing character creation you're not dropped into the game and instead are staring at the character selection screen.

It probably also helps in the case of say, world crashes where you won't need to worry that any data might've been lost because it's probably not only loading your character data when transferring zones/loading into an instance/etc it's also updating that data, and this system also probably makes character rollbacks easy in the instances where they actually need to be done since the characters aren't tied to world data. (IIRC if something breaks on a world in WoW for whatever reason they need to roll back the entire server to its previous state and people lose progress as a result)

Finally figured out the hot bars and the macos( just for goad, smokescreen etc.)
Now I need to get the rotations down again. I forgot how bloated the skills are in this game. 🙁

Tried the benchmark and saw Red Mage. That along with the 4 day free trial made me redownload the game.

I've been wanting to get back in and atleast finish/see Heavensward content as I bought the expansion and never got to any of it as I was very behind on story missions haha. So I logged in yesterday and saw that I'm at Keeper of the Lake and my Paladin is at level 51 with a ilvl of 115*. But anyways, I'm hoping I'll like Dark Knight whenever I get to it.

Luigi87

Tried the benchmark and saw Red Mage. That along with the 4 day free trial made me redownload the game.

I've been wanting to get back in and atleast finish/see Heavensward content as I bought the expansion and never got to any of it as I was very behind on story missions haha. So I logged in yesterday and saw that I'm at Keeper of the Lake and my Paladin is at level 51 with a ilvl of 151. But anyways, I'm hoping I'll like Dark Knight whenever I get to it.

You're in the second last patch at least before HW, so not too much longer!

XenoRaven

Currently sitting at IL200. What's the best way to get a higher level weapon? Void Ark?

Or should I just try and level up my armor and accessories enough to hit 205?

aceface

If you're not a crafter, just throw them away. You'll never stop getting garbage like that that just fills your inventory.

Or go to your retainer, right click and choose "Have retainer sell items" He'll immediately vendor them for you.

Told myself I was going to play PLD today.

Switched jobs, hovered over the DF queue for a bit.

Hit the training dummy for a bit then switched to WAR instead.

I keep wondering whether they can really make Paladin as fun as the other two tanks. I don't think that can happen without major rework to their combos at the bare minimum.

There's also the issue of the new skills. Sure they could add something interesting here but they just might add more stuff to Warrior and Dark Knight to the point that the gulf between them and Paladin becomes even greater than it is now.

The next live letter is going to be the most important one imo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They need to rethink their approach to class design, and start designing around core mechanics. Like, building into Dreadwyrm Trance is a core mechanic. Flipping between Defiance and Deliverance is a core mechanic. DRK's MP management is a core mechanic.

AST Cards.. as fun as unique as they are, are not a core mechanic. It's something you do on the side when you're not healing the exact same way every other healer does, or dpsing the exact same way they do. They could've done something really cool with Diurnal and Nocturnal but it's little more than WHM mode and SCH mode. Same goes for Mudras. They're cool in isolation but don't really build up to anything significant mechanically.

So far their more interesting classes have to do with juggling two stances/buffs. That's okay, but a bit narrow. Every Job needs something on the level of Defiance/Deliverance to set it apart.

PLD is just the worst case of their design process being really uninspired overall. I feel like they care a lot more about delivering a certain aesthetic than creating interesting mechanics.

They need to rethink their approach to class design, and start designing around core mechanics. Like, building into Dreadwyrm Trance is a core mechanic. Flipping between Defiance and Deliverance is a core mechanic. DRK's MP management is a core mechanic.

AST Cards.. as fun as unique as they are, are not a core mechanic. It's something you do on the side when you're not healing the exact same way every other healer does, or dpsing the exact same way they do. They could've done something really cool with Diurnal and Nocturnal but it's little more than WHM mode and SCH mode. Same goes for Mudras. They're cool in isolation but don't really build up to anything significant mechanically.

So far their more interesting classes have to do with juggling two stances/buffs. That's okay, but a bit narrow. Every Job needs something on the level of Defiance/Deliverance to set it apart.

PLD is just the worst case of their design process being really uninspired overall. I feel like they care a lot more about delivering a certain aesthetic than creating interesting mechanics.

Yeah, Paladin just has a giant gaping hole where an interesting mechanic should be.

To quote a reddit post I read today,

Warrior's unique trait, their stacks system Dark Knight's unique trait, their mana mini-game Paladin's unique trait, 404 file not found
This is why they're taking a look at how PLD works in 4.0

Korezo

What's the best way to lvl a dps from 56-60? I been at 55 for months because I really don't want to grind dungeons.. I usually get on the game then log off in 5 mins because the idea of having to dungeon grind takes away any will to play... Is there a fate spot i can do? I'll do those via remoteplay if its viable.

Silav101

What's the best way to lvl a dps from 56-60? I been at 55 for months because I really don't want to grind dungeons.. I usually get on the game then log off in 5 mins because the idea of having to dungeon grind takes away any will to play... Is there a fate spot i can do? I'll do those via remoteplay if its viable.

Palace of the Dead is a good way of leveling classes to 60. If you do it enough, you will end up with an i235/i255 weapon of your choice, too. You also get really far with a leveling roulette a day, plus doing the Heavensward beast tribes, assuming you have access to them.

dramatis

5Ig4dkZ.jpg

Memories of Heavensward - Ultros GAF Screenshot Contest

Stormblood is almost upon us, so for the month of May we'll relive the glorious (and not so glorious) memories of Heavensward.

To participate, submit a screenshot (yours only, please) of someplace in Heavensward that you may have a fond memory of (or just a liking for). If you are a new player, get a picture of whatever. I suggest you share your weird thoughts and anecdotes about Heavensward with the screenshot as well. Please include in your submission that you are submitting a screenshot for the HW Ultros GAF screenshot contest.

Players can only enter once, so you can post multiple screenshots but you will have only one entry.

Winner will be selected at random.

The prize is a date with Sosul Mars your choice of one of the following:
Wind-up Garuda
Wind-up Ifrit
Wind-up Leviathan
Wind-up Ramuh
Wind-up Shiva
Wind-up Titan
Wind-up Edda
If you already have all of the above, you'll receive a carry through Aurum Vale.
Winner will also receive 2 million gil and a Baby Opo-opo minion.

Entries will be accepted until May 31st. Post in the GAF FF14 OT, link with @[officer name] on the Discord server, or send a tell in game to an officer.

Korezo

Palace of the Dead is a good way of leveling classes to 60. If you do it enough, you will end up with an i235/i255 weapon of your choice, too. You also get really far with a leveling roulette a day, plus doing the Heavensward beast tribes, assuming you have access to them.

Whats beast tribes? I unlocked a few, but aren't those lvl 60 and crafting quests?

free amazon DLC - I don't play soooooo... up for grabs

quote to reveal

Promotion details:

To redeem your FREE DLC, simply enter this promotional code and your email address at www.ffxivredeem.com to receive your exclusive FINAL FANTASY XIV Online item codes! Once you've redeemed your Amazon code, you will be emailed your three in-game item codes that you can use on the Mog Station on the Square Enix account of your choice.

Qvoth

free amazon DLC - I don't play soooooo... up for grabs

quote to reveal

Promotion details:

To redeem your FREE DLC, simply enter this promotional code and your email address at www.ffxivredeem.com to receive your exclusive FINAL FANTASY XIV Online item codes! Once you’ve redeemed your Amazon code, you will be emailed your three in-game item codes that you can use on the Mog Station on the Square Enix account of your choice.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I GOT ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Silav101

Whats beast tribes? I unlocked a few, but aren't those lvl 60 and crafting quests?

They're kinda like factions in WoW, if you've ever played those.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Beast_Tribe_Quests

And the Heavensward beast tribes (not the Moogles, those are, indeed crafting-based) can be unlocked at lvl50 iirc, and give pretty good xp per daily quest (3 each per tribe) you complete. It's really, really annoying to do them without being able to fly in the zone, however (and some are flat-out impossible to do, like a couple of the Vath quests), so do consider that.

Alright GAF, thanks to Square-Enix's Store Spring Clearance Sale, I'm going to resub to this game and hopefully stick with it until (and through) Stormblood. I'm gonna start completely fresh and try to join the GAF Free Company, since none of my friends play anymore and I haven't played since late 2013, and last time I tried to resub (2015), I was COMPLETELY lost on how to progress. I want a story refresh and kinda just want to groove my way back into things, so I don't mind dropping my progress from before (and it saves me money having to transfer my character over to GAF server).

In any case -- is the Heavensward Collector's content worth the extra money? I guess that's really my one and only question at this point.

Qvoth

here's my recruitment code
Recruitment Code: 2ZQFHW42

here's some stuff you could get by entering that
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...t=20150909html&utm_campaign=mail_recruit_send
mainly it's for the exp bonus stuff

you gotta enter the code from mogstation
You will need to log into the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station to enter your recruitment code after completing registration. After logging in, proceed to Your Account, then select Enter Recruitment Code.
http://sqex.to/Msp

Omni

Alright GAF, thanks to Square-Enix's Store Spring Clearance Sale, I'm going to resub to this game and hopefully stick with it until (and through) Stormblood. I'm gonna start completely fresh and try to join the GAF Free Company, since none of my friends play anymore and I haven't played since late 2013, and last time I tried to resub (2015), I was COMPLETELY lost on how to progress. I want a story refresh and kinda just want to groove my way back into things, so I don't mind dropping my progress from before (and it saves me money having to transfer my character over to GAF server).

In any case -- is the Heavensward Collector's content worth the extra money? I guess that's really my one and only question at this point.

Not really tbh. Just vanity items at this point I think. Not even good ones at that

So after I asked,on here, for how to grind out my iLevel back on Friday, I spent my weekend grinding out PoTD. Got my arm and armor over +30. Didn't know how much life you get for every 10 levels. That really is s good place to grind.

Thanks for the valuable advice.

dramatis

So after I asked,on here, for how to grind out my iLevel back on Friday, I spent my weekend grinding out PoTD. Got my arm and armor over +30. Didn't know how much life you get for every 10 levels. That really is s good place to grind.

Thanks for the valuable advice.
Potd isn't for grinding iLevel, it's for increasing your class/job level. The equipment in Potd is separate from your equipment in the regular game.

Equipment iLevel can only be raised by getting better gear.

Potd isn't for grinding iLevel, it's for increasing your class/job level. The equipment in Potd is separate from your equipment in the regular game.

Equipment iLevel can only be raised by getting better gear.

Well you get 20 or 30 lore of scripture for every 10 floors. So I can put that towards armor. Plus you can't get the 255 weapon as well.

dabig2

You might be able to find some other people fate grinding in places like Churning Mists. Sea of Clouds is usually pretty barren for that, and the Forelands is hit or miss. Make sure to do hunts in all of the zones you have, and you'll be able to see if others are doing fates too.

But I would second the PotD mention. I like that better than fate grinding because it gives you more than just EXP. You can obtain grade V materia for every floor 50/100 finish and you also build up to your i235/255 weapons for any class you want. And the EXP bonus is decent for the amount of time/effort you put into PotD (if you're DPS that is), which for me is basically none. I think I was hitting 750K XP just for doing floors 41-50.

But most importantly, do make sure to at least do your daily roulettes. Mix that in with PotD, hunts, and the occasional FATE grind if you're lucky and your character will level up quickly. Take it in steps. Treat each 1/4 of your XP bar as a milestone and see if any 1 thing can get you past that. Daily Roulettes definitely will and 1-50 and/or 51-100 in PotD should as well.

Well you get 20 or 30 lore of scripture for every 10 floors. So I can put that towards armor. Plus you can't get the 255 weapon as well.

Yep, 1-100 is 620 Lore and 310 Scriptures. Do that a couple times a week and you can max out on scriptures just doing potd alone, which should be good enough to level 2 pieces of equipment to i260 a week. Use the lore to level what you're not upgrading to i260. And then augment those to 240 by doing the raids. And getting the i255 weapon is also a nice boost to iLvl.

Squishy3

You can also do the Vath beast tribe quests daily, and those give a good chunk of EXP. https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Vath_Daily_Quests (not sure if this is your first character or not so I don't know if you can do the Vanu Vanu ones as they're on the level 57 side of Sea of Clouds)

5Ig4dkZ.jpg

Memories of Heavensward - Ultros GAF Screenshot Contest

Stormblood is almost upon us, so for the month of May we'll relive the glorious (and not so glorious) memories of Heavensward.

To participate, submit a screenshot (yours only, please) of someplace in Heavensward that you may have a fond memory of (or just a liking for). If you are a new player, get a picture of whatever. I suggest you share your weird thoughts and anecdotes about Heavensward with the screenshot as well.

Players can only enter once, so you can post multiple screenshots but you will have only one entry.

Winner will be selected at random.

The prize is a date with Sosul Mars your choice of one of the following:
Wind-up Garuda
Wind-up Ifrit
Wind-up Leviathan
Wind-up Ramuh
Wind-up Shiva
Wind-up Titan
If you already have all of the above, you'll receive a carry through Aurum Vale.

Entries will be accepted until May 31st. Post in the GAF FF14 OT, link with @[officer's name] on Discord, or send a tell in game to an officer.

I'll probably get in on this.

A screenshot so good you'll never see it coming.

hmm, I'm getting the seemingly-infamous "patch data could not be downloaded" bug when trying to install my client. I've changed DNS in Windows but it seems I might have to try and do it in my router, which I seem to have altered the login info to and forgotten, so possibly looking at a full router reset here soon. Boo.

The fact that this is a thing kinda figures, I remember a lot of back-end stuff feeling quite frustrating and weird back when ARR first launched, particularly with account management and whatnot, but that's been improved now... Just not all that surprised that something like this exists now, haha.

Well, I guess I won't be playing until way later tonight, I'm about to go to bed for the day (have had a very funky sleep schedule the last couple of days) then I suppose I'll try and diagnose the issue with some router settings tweaks.

Is the 70 AF weapon being included in the box too? I didn't catch the stream so I never saw the exact wording used.

hmm, I'm getting the seemingly-infamous "patch data could not be downloaded" bug when trying to install my client. I've changed DNS in Windows but it seems I might have to try and do it in my router, which I seem to have altered the login info to and forgotten, so possibly looking at a full router reset here soon. Boo.

The fact that this is a thing kinda figures, I remember a lot of back-end stuff feeling quite frustrating and weird back when ARR first launched, particularly with account management and whatnot, but that's been improved now... Just not all that surprised that something like this exists now, haha.

Well, I guess I won't be playing until way later tonight, I'm about to go to bed for the day (have had a very funky sleep schedule the last couple of days) then I suppose I'll try and diagnose the issue with some router settings tweaks.

Did you use the one listed in the OP? If not make sure to use that one on your router too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom