• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

Not an Ultros player so i don't qualify for the prize but i wanted to post 2 at least .

ffxiv_dx112017-05-012z0jbo.jpg

Having never done coil , Alexander was basically my very first raid runs in this game and since i only reached it a few weeks after Midas was released i was spared of all the Gordias drama so for me the raid never got tainted by it .

So yeah to me it hold a special place i suppose .

ffxiv_dx112017-05-0124zke3.jpg

Azyss lla Is just one of the best zones in this game .

Seems like Soar is the bane of PF.

I've only seen past it a handful of times.

The vast majority of wipes have been to the very first Soar.

If you still need help clearing Zurvan I'm down, I could probably drag some of my raid buddies into helping as well.

PF is always a crapshoot when it comes to any relevant content.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They should just replace Flash with mini Holy.

Kenai

They need to rethink their approach to class design, and start designing around core mechanics. Like, building into Dreadwyrm Trance is a core mechanic. Flipping between Defiance and Deliverance is a core mechanic. DRK's MP management is a core mechanic.

AST Cards.. as fun as unique as they are, are not a core mechanic. It's something you do on the side when you're not healing the exact same way every other healer does, or dpsing the exact same way they do. They could've done something really cool with Diurnal and Nocturnal but it's little more than WHM mode and SCH mode. Same goes for Mudras. They're cool in isolation but don't really build up to anything significant mechanically.

So far their more interesting classes have to do with juggling two stances/buffs. That's okay, but a bit narrow. Every Job needs something on the level of Defiance/Deliverance to set it apart.

PLD is just the worst case of their design process being really uninspired overall. I feel like they care a lot more about delivering a certain aesthetic than creating interesting mechanics.

I disagree about the AST part. It's not something you do "on the side", you flip cards before, during and after combat, something no other job's abilities can really brag about doing (mayyyybe ammo? idk). It's a core mechanic, just like MCH ammo, SCH/SMN pets, and BRD songs.

The cards themselves are imbalanced and their buffs/numbers need to be adjusted, but their actual mechanics of drawing, folding, shuffling, saving, timing and maintaining buffs with them is incredibly solid, interactive with your party (and presumably the mobs too soon) and one of the few valid things to be doing among any of the healers/classes besides mashing DPS buttons at every spare moment.

You want a non-core mechanic that needs a serious retool/revamp/redesign/whatever? look no further than Cleric Stance imo.

B.K.

I'm three Unidentified Ores away from my 210 Anima Weapon. Time to grind out some Tomestones, I guess. I'm still rank one with the Kobolds. I'm dreading the next step. Aether Oils seem like they're going to be annoying to get.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm three Unidentified Ores away from my 210 Anima Weapon. Time to grind out some Tomestones, I guess. I'm still rank one with the Kobolds. I'm dreading the next step. Aether Oils seem like they're going to be annoying to get.

Should have been doing the weekly Crystal Tower quest for a free oil. Queue times tonight will probably suck, but you might want to try doing it tonight before reset.

Quest can be gotten in Mor Dona, right near the teleport crystal.

I disagree about the AST part. It's not something you do "on the side", you flip cards before, during and after combat, something no other job's abilities can really brag about doing (mayyyybe ammo? idk). It's a core mechanic, just like MCH ammo, SCH/SMN pets, and BRD songs.

The cards themselves are imbalanced and their buffs/numbers need to be adjusted, but their actual mechanics of drawing, folding, shuffling, saving, timing and maintaining buffs with them is incredibly solid, interactive with your party (and presumably the mobs too soon) and one of the few valid things to be doing among any of the healers/classes besides mashing DPS buttons at every spare moment.

You want a non-core mechanic that needs a serious retool/revamp/redesign/whatever? look no further than Cleric Stance imo.

What he's saying is that the card drawing is segmented away from everything else.

You use the cards to throw out buffs every minute or so, you don't use cards for healing and damage which are the significant parts of your kit/parts that are used most often.

Instead your healing is composed of White Mage type mode and Scholar type mode instead of having a third unique way/style of healing and damage that involves the cards.

I don't have AST maxed mainly because I like the idea of using cards but they went one third of the way with the cards and seemingly gave up when they decided to create slightly altered White Mage and Scholar modes for healing instead of creating something that is unique from the two other healing jobs that makes use of the job's main draw.

Haly

Vanilla gets it.

In my ideal world AST would heal with cards, instead of cards being RNG party buffs and healing being small efficient heal, big inefficient heal, party heal, party heal with bonus and instant heal with CD. I don't think there's any merit in them going back to rebuild AST from the ground up, too many other classes need the attention instead, but it's the kind of thing I dislike most about FFXIV's job design.

Just had an amazing a12s farm.... we were killing it by last grav puddles. It was ridiculous. I now have the pages I need for the new classes in Stormblood. I guess from now on if I do a12s i'll just focus on getting the last two weapons I need. Lootmaster farms have been really good for some reason.

Kenai

What he's saying is that the card drawing is segmented away from everything else.

You use the cards to throw out buffs every minute or so, you don't use cards for healing and damage which are the significant parts of your kit/parts that are used most often.

Instead your healing is composed of White Mage type mode and Scholar type mode instead of having a third unique way/style of healing and damage that involves the cards.

I don't have AST maxed mainly because I like the idea of using cards but they went one third of the way with the cards and seemingly gave up when they decided to create slightly altered White Mage and Scholar modes for healing instead of creating something that is unique from the two other healing jobs that makes use of the job's main draw.

Vanilla gets it.

In my ideal world AST would heal with cards, instead of cards being RNG party buffs and healing being small efficient heal, big inefficient heal, party heal, party heal with bonus and instant heal with CD. I don't think there's any merit in them going back to rebuild AST from the ground up, too many other classes need the attention instead, but it's the kind of thing I dislike most about FFXIV's job design.

Mmm...I understand better now, but still kind of disagree. Buffs by themselves do impact healing and damage significantly, even if it isn't direct. Having a general checklist of standardized spells across the healer jobs to cover a baseline of expectations isn't a bad thing even if it's not terribly exciting, because that's how you keep all the jobs relevant. throughout the game.

So i guess it's you are leaning more towards wanting the jobs to feel unique while i am wanting the jobs to remain practical. They aren't mutually exclusive ideals, but "feeling" both "unique" and "fun" is a pretty nebulous rabbit hole to go down with lots of bad ways to end and no discernible reward for a game whose design goals are to get the player to see the content and play *insert class they chose* while doing so. Moreover, calling it a slightly altered WHM/SCH playstyle because of said checklist being met is extremely disingenuous since you don't play them very similarly at all. You are free to disagree, of course, but the difference between the 3 jobs isn't some sort of slight nuance that you can pick up in a few minutes or even a few raid nights and the cards are a big reason why.

I feel like this is about as good of a system as we are going to get without relapsing into stuff like FFXI where 2/3 of the jobs are functionally useless compared to *insert job here* depending on the content in question because they focused so much on making each job unique (and succeeded for the most part) rather than practical. I heard 1.0 had a similar problem but am far less familiar with the game of that time.

That was "fine" for FFXI because they clearly had different design goals that were met, But it's important to remember what standards FFXIV is held to that other MMOs might not be regarding class inclusion, game balance and the finite amount of resources they can throw at it that they might want to spend elsewhere on more concrete goals.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Wanted to followup on this.

Might suck to wait 5 weeks, but I would recommend you just wait it out and do the Crystal Tower Weekly quest rather than buy any of the oils. Start using tombs to stock up on Umbrite now. You're going to need 60-80 of them (probably closer to 80). Since the stage after the Oils is the worst stage, just be patient.

Also, start burning through your levequest allowances. In addition to Umbrite, the stage after oils will require Crystal Sand. While you can't buy it until you get to the stage, you can start stocking up on items to buy it. Heavensward levequests all have a chance for a Treasure Chest spawn, and one of the items is a guarantee from them. You don't even have to complete the quest. Spawn it, look around, open chest if it spawns, abandon and retry the leve. You will also need 60-80 Crystal Sand, however, they just increased it so you get two for every trade in, so you would only need 30-40 of the leve item (Amber-encased Vilekin). A popular leve to spam is "Dance Magic Dance" in Forelands. Spam leves now, and when you get to the stage you'll have recharged allowances.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So um, unless I'm stupid, I can't find the Fantasia I just bought.

An hour or so ago, I bought Fantasia from the Mog Station. I went to the delivery moogle and claimed the letter, however, the Fantasia isn't in my inventory, or at least I can't find it.

Is something wrong? Maybe of note, but I'm logged in using the free login campaign; I'm not current subbed.
Type "/isearch fantasia" into the chatbox. If nothing pops up, maybe try the mailbox and check the letter again. Sometimes if you click the get items button quickly after opening the letter it errors out and doesn't move the items.

Haly

I feel like this is about as good of a system as we are going to get without relapsing into stuff like FFXI where 2/3 of the jobs are functionally useless compared to *insert job here* depending on the content in question because they focused so much on making each job unique (and succeeded for the most part) rather than practical.
I simply cannot agree with this. Going by your avatar you're a League player, which means you might be familiar with Riot's design philosophy and how they went through a phase where everyone seemed to be built up from the same framework for much of the reasons you say. And in recent times they've managed to branch out their designs so every champion has a distinct feel while still being relevant.

And MMO balance is much more straightforward than MOBA balance, which has endless amounts of variables and metavariables whereas MMOs lend themselves to simulation and viability is usually little more than a numbers game.

I believe it is only a design problem, and solving it is matter of creativity and manpower, the latter which I know they lack, but the former which I want to believe they're capable of.

BlackJace

Type "/isearch fantasia" into the chatbox. If nothing pops up, maybe try the mailbox and check the letter again. Sometimes if you click the get items button quickly after opening the letter it errors out and doesn't move the items.

Yeah just did that, guess I was too eager. Thanks!

trying it now! I think it's working because my download is suddenly .44MBps instead of the previous consistent 5.2MBps I was pulling.

Follow-up -- well I woke up from sleeping for 8 hours to find that I errored out on patch data again, it just took longer to get to the same point where my other download attempts failed.

Looks like I'm going to be performing some serious router maintenance this evening in an attempt to access FFXIV. Bummer. :/

To note, this is the PC client I'm trying to download, not the PS4 one. Going to keep my DNS set to the OP one on Windows for now, won't have access to GAF while I take my router offline to do a full factory reset and attempt to eventually get that DNS input in my router as well.

Mmm...I understand better now, but still kind of disagree. Buffs by themselves do impact healing and damage significantly, even if it isn't direct. Having a general checklist of standardized spells across the healer jobs to cover a baseline of expectations isn't a bad thing even if it's not terribly exciting, because that's how you keep all the jobs relevant. throughout the game.

So i guess it's you are leaning more towards wanting the jobs to feel unique while i am wanting the jobs to remain practical. They aren't mutually exclusive ideals, but "feeling" both "unique" and "fun" is a pretty nebulous rabbit hole to go down with lots of bad ways to end and no discernible reward for a game whose design goals are to get the player to see the content and play *insert class they chose* while doing so. Moreover, calling it a slightly altered WHM/SCH playstyle because of said checklist being met is extremely disingenuous since you don't play them very similarly at all. You are free to disagree, of course, but the difference between the 3 jobs isn't some sort of slight nuance that you can pick up in a few minutes or even a few raid nights and the cards are a big reason why.

I feel like this is about as good of a system as we are going to get without relapsing into stuff like FFXI where 2/3 of the jobs are functionally useless compared to *insert job here* depending on the content in question because they focused so much on making each job unique (and succeeded for the most part) rather than practical. I heard 1.0 had a similar problem but am far less familiar with the game of that time.

That was "fine" for FFXI because they clearly had different design goals that were met, But it's important to remember what standards FFXIV is held to that other MMOs might not be regarding class inclusion, game balance and the finite amount of resources they can throw at it that they might want to spend elsewhere on more concrete goals.

The dichotomy between uniqueness and practicality is false.

Astrologian was shat on at release and having WHM/SCH pasted in modes didn't save it from not being as good as WHM or SCH. Their fix to this was buffing numbers. Numbers being independent from design since they only determine output, not how the output is produced which is where design comes in.

Haly's League example is good. They've gone and redone a bunch of old champion kits as well as the new stuff because they realize they can do better and make more interesting stuff. Safe and boring design should never be encouraged imo.

Keep in mind I don't expect them to heavily change Astrologian, for that matter it's hard for me to take the comments regarding tanks and healers as anything but lip service that will turn out to be ultimately underwhelming. I am merely commenting on what they could have done better on in regards to AST.

As for Paladin, I don't want to give it any more thought as I have inflicted enough pain upon myself for one day.

Kenai

I simply cannot agree with this. Going by your avatar you're a League player, which means you might be familiar with Riot's design philosophy and how they went through a phase where everyone seemed to be built up from the same framework for much of the reasons you say. And in recent times they've managed to branch out their designs so every champion has a distinct feel while still being relevant.

And MMO balance is much more straightforward than MOBA balance, which has endless amounts of variables and metavariables whereas MMOs lend themselves to simulation and viability is usually little more than a numbers game.

I believe it is only a design problem, and solving it is matter of creativity and manpower, the latter which I know they lack, but the former which I want to believe they're capable of.

I'm not even sure of the parallel you're trying to make here between LoL and FXIV? If anything, it reinforces my point even more. Look how many characters are actively shunned from participation in tournaments because of that nebulous concept of "the meta". Look how many characters people actively dislike playing, no matter how "unique" they are?

You can apply that just fine, but throw in a much stronger ability to shut out an entire class of players than banning a few champions (like AST was). And for the record, a game like LoL has just as many checkboxes as FXIV,, if not more (the Passive Q W E R should sound familiar as I think you play that and DotA, and that's...every character? technically maybe not a few of them, but...). Oooh, or how build path "options" are on gear, or talents, or leveling order. That's fun too.

We'll have to agree to disagree on it. Building upon what they've already have is solid and will be even better since they don't have to worry about non-DPS jobs. They will be things that change and get better without throwing it all away for soemthing new that literally might be the same or worse.

The dichotomy between uniqueness and practicality is false.

Astrologian was shat on at release and having WHM/SCH pasted in modes didn't save it from not being as good as WHM or SCH. Their fix to this was buffing numbers. Numbers being independent from design since they only determine output, not how the output is produced which is where design comes in.

Haly's League example is good. They've gone and redone a bunch of old champion kits as well as the new stuff because they realize they can do better and make more interesting stuff. Safe and boring design should never be encouraged imo.

Keep in mind I don't expect them to heavily change Astrologian, for that matter it's hard for me to take the comments regarding tanks and healers as anything but lip service that will turn out to be ultimately underwhelming. I am merely commenting on what they could have done better on in regards to AST.

As for Paladin, I don't want to give it any more thought as I have inflicted enough pain upon myself for one day.

AST was shat on quite simply because the numbers weren't there. Every single spell and ability they had was weaker and less effective than the alternative (seemingly by design, I blame PBE and "ASt terk our jerbs PB initial reaction)

Yet because they had a solid foundation of *healers get X, Y, and Z" in place, almost everything was solved with number tweaks and some CD alterations rather than a full on rework.

You don't have to like every job (I certainly don't) and that's a shame, that's fine. my main points are:

A) There's tangible and valid reasons for things being structured how they are (they work, they've been proven to work, they continue to work right now)

B) "unique" =/= "fun" =/= "effective"

C) the classes definitely aren't carbon copies of each other, or AST (and all the other jobs that have been) wouldn't have been shunned in the past like that have. (2.0 WAR anyone? I hear that class is fun today., but back then...).

Haly

You don't have to like every job (I certainly don't) and that's a shame, that's fine. my main points are:
Me liking a job has very little to do with whether I think it's mechanically interesting. I don't enjoy playing DRK but I can appreciate its design for what it is. It's a bit clunky but there's interplay and synergy between their abilities, something AST really lacks. One of my biggest gripes, for example, is how their "time extension" mechanic completely and utterly fails to synergize with Nocturnal sect.
A) There's tangible and valid reasons for things being structured how they are (they work, they've been proven to work, they continue to work right now)
They worked, mostly because they drew from the blueprint of WoW when salvaging the wreck that was 1.0 to create 2.0. There's no reason they can't still draw from their highly successful market competitor. I'm mostly arguing that they can do better because others have already done better.

And they "work" in so far as you consider the current balance of healers and tanks "working". Not to mention DPS stratification.

Well why have 3 healer jobs? And 8 dps jobs? Just one healer, one dps, and one tank.

(Obviously, the reason is that there's value in unique gameplay, and it's a balancing act between uniqueness, fun, and efficacy. All I'm saying is the jobs are slacking on the unique and fun part. Efficacy I'll leave to the diehard progression raiders.)

C) the classes definitely aren't carbon copies of each other, or AST (and all the other jobs that have been) wouldn't have been shunned in the past like that have. (2.0 WAR anyone? I hear that class is fun today., but back then...).
I played 2.4-2.5 PLD, it's one of the main reasons I quit actually until HW. It's sad for me to see that they haven't "fixed" PLD in all those years, and, as it is, they're neither unique, fun, nor effective, so I think it bears criticism?

I'm not even sure of the parallel you're trying to make here between LoL and FXIV? If anything, it reinforces my point even more. Look how many characters are actively shunned from participation in tournaments because of that nebulous concept of "the meta". Look how many characters people actively dislike playing, no matter how "unique" they are?

You can apply that just fine, but throw in a much stronger ability to shut out an entire class of players than banning a few champions (like AST was). And for the record, a game like LoL has just as many checkboxes as FXIV,, if not more (the Passive Q W E R should sound familiar as I think you play that and DotA, and that's...every character? technically maybe not a few of them, but...). Oooh, or how build path "options" are on gear, or talents, or leveling order. That's fun too.

We'll have to agree to disagree on it. Building upon what they've already have is solid and will be even better since they don't have to worry about non-DPS jobs. They will be things that change and get better without throwing it all away for soemthing new that literally might be the same or worse.

Wat.

The existence of the meta does not service your point at all.

In any game where you can choose different options there will always be a combination that is mathematically superior. This has nothing to do with how safe and boring or unique and fun the job is because what determines the numbers a job outputs in this game is purely down to the numerical values behind its abilities, which can be changed by the developers at will. If I wanted I could edit the game's values in a sandbox environment and make Monk the best job in the game by changing the potency on all of its attacks to 9000. That's just by changing values, not how the job actually plays which is what we've been criticizing the whole time.

AST was shat on quite simply because the numbers weren't there. Every single spell and ability they had was weaker and less effective than the alternative (seemingly by design, I blame PBE and "ASt terk our jerbs PB initial reaction)

Yet because they had a solid foundation of *healers get X, Y, and Z" in place, almost everything was solved with number tweaks and some CD alterations rather than a full on rework.

Last time I checked healers were specifically called out for getting looked at and receiving special attention in regards to their balance so I wouldn't say that everything is solved.

Again you'e created a self serving hypothetical where an AST kit that uses cards and is more interesting than what we got would have ran into some magical issues. There's really no point in doing this because it doesn't exist. There is noting for you to look to make such a claim. You're just drawing further and further away from the original point that was being made.

In the end, that point that needed to be made was made. There's no value in entertaining these pointless situations where the new kit that doesn't exist was shit for some reason because it suits one particular side of the argument.

Haly

EDIT: This is getting diluted To roll back a bit:
Having a general checklist of standardized spells across the healer jobs to cover a baseline of expectations isn't a bad thing even if it's not terribly exciting, because that's how you keep all the jobs relevant. throughout the game.
I assume this is the crux of your thesis, and I disagree, so far as this, the current state of job design, is the only way to make jobs relevant throughout the game, which seems to be what you're primarily concerned with. If we accepted this in a very broad sense, genres would never evolve beyond their basic elements. Why try new things? Why break new ground? Just stick with what works.

It's a regressive school of design, whether on the macro level or micro level. In purely mechanical terms, FFXIV is lacking in many areas, sometimes due to legacy systems, sometimes due to infrastructure limitations, sometimes due to budgetary limitations. That's fine, I've made my peace with these, and the game does a good job making up for its shortcomings with style. However, I can still ask for bolder mechanic design, because in so far as I'm concerned, any "problems" that would arise from a more radical approach is simply another challenge that can and should be overcome by creative design. As a rule, I really don't enjoy safe designs, and to argue that "well they need to do this because it makes balance easier" just sounds to me like they want to avoid the work that would come with it making a mechanically better game. Which goes back to what I was saying earlier about how FFXIV tends to pay more attention to aesthetics than mechanics.

I don't even really understand why anyone would support their conservativeness. We would've never gotten 2.0 if they didn't decide to overhaul 1.0, and I assume at the time there were purists who wanted 1.0 to stay as it is (as there are purists for every game). How is this any different? I want a better game for everyone, and sometimes to make a better game you need to rebuild old systems (see: cross class skills). No game is immune from this. Granted, as I've said before, AST is in a good enough position that it doesn't need to be high on their priority list. PLD is the one really hurting. But just because AST is doing good relative to other jobs doesn't mean it doesn't have its weaknesses.

Tangentially related, I want to say that SMN pets are a design cul-de-sac. Ideally, they would introduce new Egis with every expansion. HW even teases Ramuh-Egi, but they can't, because it would mean kicking the old Egis to the curb. This problem is for the time being minor, yet it's something they will have to address two, maybe three expacs down the road. It'll be really jarring in a few years when there's some 30 primals in the game and you're still running around with Garuda-Egi.

So going forward either they let the entire Egi concept languish in its roots, both in story and mechanics, or they reenvision what SMN could be in FFXIV. This is all I'm really arguing for. A bold, creative style of design that strives to open doors for both flavor and mechanics.

well, spent 2 hours reconfiguring my network and going through DNS settings on my PC and on my router and download still failed. I feel like I wasted $40 (Heavensward $10 and 2-mo subscrip $30).

I'll try again sometime before this subscrip is up but that's one of my whole days off wasted trying to get it to work, plus nevermind the data usage I've probably burned through with 10+ failed downloads -- my ISP has a cap.

Square-Enix should have addressed this ages ago, but it seems they have quietly acknowledged the issue and haven't really put out a public statement, apology, or ETA on a fix. First time in a while I've been really let down with a game. :/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The thing with AST is that they tried to balance their buffing ability by uh... reducing their core functionality as a healer. That is hot nonsense because they're basically completely separate. AST has this huge utility tool that takes up a good third of their skills, and absolutely NONE of it has anything to do with their primary purpose. Add to it the fact that for some reason AST needs to be able to fill both the WHM and the SCH slot and you have one hot mess of a job that needs not adjustments, but a straight up rework.

At their core, a tank needs to generate threat and survive, a healer needs to restore health and a DD needs to deal damage. Actual mechanics of producing these numbers should differ, but the end result needs to be on a level. This is arguably reached with DD jobs to a certain point - although BRD and MCH are a bit too strong, part of which is on the fight design (of course it is, when you give players tools to solve problems you should also be aware of how these tools interact with said problems). So why can't we have healers that reach their purpose in slightly different ways and tanks that do their job in slightly different ways?

WoW has six healers and six tanks... They've never really been evenly balanced, you would always have your favorites and outsiders, and though right now they got the balance almost exactly right you still have your outsiders (discipline and mistweaver) and your powerhouse favorites (druid and paladin). This problem is a bit subverted by flexible nature of midcore difficulty raiding. Yeah, balancing several sets of different mechanics is hard, but making them all act the same is absolutely not the answer.

Well AST cannot continue giving trick attacks to people, that much is certain. It needs a different class mechanic. AST right now is overpowered precisely BECAUSE it's basically WHM with a nuke deck.

dramatis

well, spent 2 hours reconfiguring my network and going through DNS settings on my PC and on my router and download still failed. I feel like I wasted $40 (Heavensward $10 and 2-mo subscrip $30).

I'll try again sometime before this subscrip is up but that's one of my whole days off wasted trying to get it to work, plus nevermind the data usage I've probably burned through with 10+ failed downloads -- my ISP has a cap.

Square-Enix should have addressed this ages ago, but it seems they have quietly acknowledged the issue and haven't really put out a public statement, apology, or ETA on a fix. First time in a while I've been really let down with a game. :/
Someone on the FF14 forums suggested this:
So i have great news if you are using the ffxiv client. Instead go to steam download the free trial and it will install 8 gb and then you will get the launcher. Sign in and bam done. So the TL DR use steam and get the trial version to download the game. Then if you want move the files somewhere else or whatever. I hope this works for others.
I don't know the side effects of using the steam version though.

Another guy tried this:
You know that annoying unable to install patch error with the FFXIV launcher? I think I found the problem...and a solution (it might not work for everyone). But it's a solution I haven't seen before.

Uninstall java, delete "My Games" folder from My documents folder and launch the game from shortcut, it went smoothly without problems....

Java probably has some security things that prevent the installation...
I hope this helps people, I've been reading people having this same problem for weeks and months...I also hope this helps Square enix fix this problem because you're losing really good people to this unable to patch error.

I'm not sure how you would uninstall java in ps4 but there might be some way.
Let me know if this helps anyone.

It might be better if you record the error codes that happen when your download fails, then you can try google for a possible solution.

It's unbelievable that S-E doesn't do anything about this error. I think the best way to get around this is to download a vpn like Cyberghost. The way I did it was pick another country in Cyberghost and once I got past the error part I cancelled the update, quit the vpn and started the update again until I got the next error then I just repeated step 1. I guess another way would be to see if someone have uploaded all update files somewhere and then download them and put them in the correct folder.

emb

Hi thread! I just got an email from Amazon, apparently I qualified for free DLC due to some purchase I've made recently. I don't have this game, or interest in redeeming any kind of DLC. I'm not even entirely sure what the DLC is.

Point is, here's a code: (Quote to see.) Edit: gone

The instructions say to go to www.ffxivredeem.com and enter your email address and the code above. YMMV though, I'm not certain if it's trying to imply that it's specific to my email address in any way (doubtful?). Anyhow, hope it's useful to someone. Also, please post if you're able to redeem, just in case it saves anyone else the trouble.

I copped it, thanks! I really appreciate it!
Glad to hear it helped!

BlackJace

Hi thread! I just got an email from Amazon, apparently I qualified for free DLC due to some purchase I've made recently. I don't have this game, or interest in redeeming any kind of DLC. I'm not even entirely sure what the DLC is.

Point is, here's a code: (Quote to see.)

The instructions say to go to www.ffxivredeem.com and enter your email address and the code above. YMMV though, I'm not certain if it's trying to imply that it's specific to my email address in any way (doubtful?). Anyhow, hope it's useful to someone. Also, please post if you're able to redeem, just in case it saves anyone else the trouble.

I copped it, thanks! I really appreciate it!

Someone on the FF14 forums suggested this:

I don't know the side effects of using the steam version though.

Another guy tried this:

It might be better if you record the error codes that happen when your download fails, then you can try google for a possible solution.

It's unbelievable that S-E doesn't do anything about this error. I think the best way to get around this is to download a vpn like Cyberghost. The way I did it was pick another country in Cyberghost and once I got past the error part I cancelled the update, quit the vpn and started the update again until I got the next error then I just repeated step 1. I guess another way would be to see if someone have uploaded all update files somewhere and then download them and put them in the correct folder.

Thanks for the additional possible solutions. I realized I hadn't set OP's suggested DNS after my router reconfiguration -- only the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 Google DNS, so I'm currently in the midst of trying that. I started it at about 2am (so it's been about ~7 hours local time that the DL has been running) last night and it's currently about 40% done. It was originally estimating 23 hours to complete total, and as such, my entire network has some slooowww speeds right now... My phone's LTE is pulling higher speeds for now, but I'm going to see if this eventually does it.

You two have definitely given me more options to try if this fails on me again, though. As frustrating as this is, I feel too invested time-wise and money-wise to actually give up, but in the eventual possibility that all of these additional options fail, I have some friends suggesting that the May 15-17 maintenance that's coming up might address the issue. I don't really want to wait, but I suppose I'd have no choice.

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:
So with this current attempt, I've also declined to simultaneously install Heavensward -- I'm just getting the base A Realm Reborn client. Anyone that's managed to push thru the patch data error, do I need to keep my DNS settings altered once ARR finishes installing, or can I go back to my normal configuration afterward? I just realized this current install is only for base ARR client, doesn't seem to include ANY updates whatsoever, and as such, additional patches might take even more time... Do I need to be on this particular DNS config through the ENTIRE process or just through the base client?

neither

Hey guys, so i pre ordered Stormblood on PSN and I was wondering if Sony was supposed to send me the Early Access code to input in Mogstation?
or does preordering on PSN automatically unlock EA?
thought i would ask here before contacting Sony/SE support.

dramatis

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:
So with this current attempt, I've also declined to simultaneously install Heavensward -- I'm just getting the base A Realm Reborn client. Anyone that's managed to push thru the patch data error, do I need to keep my DNS settings altered once ARR finishes installing, or can I go back to my normal configuration afterward? I just realized this current install is only for base ARR client, doesn't seem to include ANY updates whatsoever, and as such, additional patches might take even more time... Do I need to be on this particular DNS config through the ENTIRE process or just through the base client?

If you've already bought Heavensward however, you could install it right away with whatever configuration works out for you right now, because otherwise you might just have to go through this again.

Hey guys, so i pre ordered Stormblood on PSN and I was wondering if Sony was supposed to send me the Early Access code to input in Mogstation?
or does preordering on PSN automatically unlock EA?
thought i would ask here before contacting Sony/SE support.
On PSN it's auto unlock

My friend and I have been running PoTD, great way to ease back into the game. Getting tomestones from it is great as well.

Debate is if I spend them now, or save for SAM/RM gear?

EDIT: fucking autocorrect

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
My firms lend and I have been running PoTD, great way to ease back into the game. Getting tomestones from it is great as well.

Debate is if I spend them now, or save for SAM/RM gear?
You should at least be using you're Allagan Tomestone of Poetics to buy Ironworks Armor and Ironworks Accessories for Black Mage/Monk than use Carbontwine/Carboncoat to turn them into Augmented Ironworks Armor/Accessories so that way you will have a good gear set that won't make you look like a clown and will carry you to Lv.55 as a Red Mage and Samurai.

If you got extra Allagan Tomestone of Scripture laying around than buy Shire Armor/Accessories for Black Mage/Monk than use Illuminati Tautest Gobtwine/Illuminati Darkest Gobcoat to turn them into Augmented Shire Armor/Accessories so that way you will have a good gear set at Lv.60 for Samurai/Monk

After downloading the Stormblood benchmark to test my new PC I was like:

MSuvl9e.gif

and then

eHoBLRl.jpg

here we are

Not sure I'll have time to do all 2.x content before Stormblood...

..hell and I have so many games on my backlog lol

Squishy3

MSuvl9e.gif

and then

eHoBLRl.jpg

here we are

2.x isn't that long, it's more travel time between NPCs than anything else. However, if you so desire, if you beat 3.0 (Heavensward, level 50-60) and decide to take a break and wait until Stormblood comes out to start 3.1, you could bust through that in a day or two because they'd have implemented the catchup that gives you gear good enough to finish all the story quests, whereas if you do it now you'd need to go through the standard gearing up process.

2.x isn't that long, it's more travel time between NPCs than anything else. However, if you so desire, if you beat 3.0 (Heavensward, level 50-60) and decide to take a break and wait until Stormblood comes out to start 3.1, you could bust through that in a day or two because they'd have implemented the catchup that gives you gear good enough to finish all the story quests, whereas if you do it now you'd need to go through the standard gearing up process.

Sorry, I was meant to say 3.x, I mixed up.

Yeah, I'm on HS content (lvl 54 PLD, but gonna change to my lvl 50 WAR, PLD is too boring). Which is kinda a problem since I did partial content on my PLD and now I have to get all those 4 lvls with my WAR, I hope dailies and stuff give me some help there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry, I was meant to say 3.x, I mixed up.

Yeah, I'm on HS content (lvl 54 PLD, but gonna change to my lvl 50 WAR, PLD is too boring). Which is kinda a problem since I did partial content on my PLD and now I have to get all those 4 lvls with my WAR, I hope dailies and stuff give me some help there.
Dailies + Palace of the Dead should get you there pretty quickly.

Base client successfully downloaded! But now I gotta work through whatever patches are still out there -- and the first one adds another 225 minute download on this current network configuration. I'll stick with it and hope for the best all the way through.

Kenai

Wat.

The existence of the meta does not service your point at all.

In any game where you can choose different options there will always be a combination that is mathematically superior. This has nothing to do with how safe and boring or unique and fun the job is because what determines the numbers a job outputs in this game is purely down to the numerical values behind its abilities, which can be changed by the developers at will. If I wanted I could edit the game's values in a sandbox environment and make Monk the best job in the game by changing the potency on all of its attacks to 9000. That's just by changing values, not how the job actually plays which is what we've been criticizing the whole time.

LoL's meta shows that at any one time a ballpark estimate of 1/3rd of the champions range from mediocre to useless in their version of endgame content (competitive play), which runs counter to XIV's major design goal of player inclusion. Never did i say the classes can't be better, because there's obviously problems with them. But none of the jobs today need to be rebuilt from the ground up. not a single one. I'm pretty confident that by 4.2(?) when the launch dust has settled and the first tier of raiding is winding down that there will only be minor number tweaks or skill adjustments for the healers for the rest of the expansion, because that's all that will be needed.

Last time I checked healers were specifically called out for getting looked at and receiving special attention in regards to their balance so I wouldn't say that everything is solved.

Again you'e created a self serving hypothetical where an AST kit that uses cards and is more interesting than what we got would have ran into some magical issues. There's really no point in doing this because it doesn't exist. There is noting for you to look to make such a claim. You're just drawing further and further away from the original point that was being made.

In the end, that point that needed to be made was made. There's no value in entertaining these pointless situations where the new kit that doesn't exist was shit for some reason because it suits one particular side of the argument.

Well, yes and no. My general takeaway from your posts was that AST plays too much like WHM/SCH so it should be different, to which I disagreed and pointed out why. I never argued that the game or the class is perfect, only that the foundation is solid and doesn't need to be thrown away for nebulous design goals that SE may or may not have. The fact is that not every player is going to like every job, and that's ok. You might not like AST, but it's my favorite job in any MMO I've ever played (and I've played a lot). I love actively managing buffs and HP bars at the same time while doing the fight's dance, and I've never played anything like it before.

On that note, the entire concept of jobs vs classes, cross class skills, and skill bloat is changing for every DoW/DoM. The healer nod seemed to be more about the reason why there's no new healer (or tank) class. If they thought AST was gonna work without cards they wouldn't have added (at least) two more. Balance is dumb and Spear is dumb in a different way, but I wanna see where the job's going, cause that's about my only complaint with it right now, and that's pretty good coming from my WoW RestoSham and MW heartaches of yesteryear.

MSuvl9e.gif

and then

eHoBLRl.jpg

here we are

I feel your pain. And my main account is on Leviathan as well. I'd have to port it over if I want to jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom