• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

I finished up to the end of the base Heavensward content. Can I use whatever this Jump potion is to skip certain parts of the campaign up until Stormblood? I don't necessarily want to skip all of it though.

How do these potions even work?

I am already level 60.

The potion is basically all or nothing, but as mentioned you're nearly done. The mandatory HW post-game stuff is a small fraction of the ARR stuff. Even if you only played 30 minutes a day from now until Early Access, you'd still have way more than enough time to do anything, and the potions won't come out until Early Access starts so unless you just don't plan to play at all might as well just do the story properly.

I am curious. What are they charging for these jump quest and level potions?

$18 to skip the ARR stuff and start on the HW MSQ.

$25 to skip the ARR and HW MSQ.

$25 to bump a single job of your choice straight to 60; will autocomplete the job quests and give you a level 60 set of gear.

Qvoth

Do we know if the Thunder AOE is a DOT or one-time damage? Seems like they wouldn’t allow it to be a DOT without changing Thundercloud. Also, I wish they could have repurposed the current teleport for the Ley Lines thing rather than use a whole new skill for it.

thunder 4 is still a dot, not sure what you mean by wouldn't allow without changing
thunder 1-3 are all dots and they still work with thundercloud procs

The potion is basically all or nothing, but as mentioned you're nearly done. The mandatory HW post-game stuff is a small fraction of the ARR stuff. Even if you only played 30 minutes a day from now until Early Access, you'd still have way more than enough time to do anything, and the potions won't come out until Early Access starts so unless you just don't plan to play at all might as well just do the story properly.

$18 to skip the ARR stuff and start on the HW MSQ.

$25 to skip the ARR and HW MSQ.

$25 to bump a single job of your choice straight to 60; will autocomplete the job quests and give you a level 60 set of gear.

Thanks.

I remember the ARR MSQ post 2.0 content being rather beefy so I was expecting the same for everything post 3.0.

IvorB

thunder 4 is still a dot, not sure what you mean by wouldn't allow without changing
thunder 1-3 are all dots and they still work with thundercloud procs

Well, ‘cause if you have a Thunder dot on 10 enemies and each tick from each one of those is 10% chance for Thundercloud. That would be pretty crazy. Right now I put Thunder on just a few enemies when AOEing and it’s already crazy. Wouldn’t complain though.

Fou-Lu

Jump potions are tempting, but I really want to actually experience the story and game for myself. It's just hard when my friends either gave up or are caught up.

Jump potions are tempting, but I really want to actually experience the story and game for myself. It's just hard when my friends either gave up or are caught up.

The story up to the point I have played it is legit good.

I will admit that taking one potion to boost a new job up to 60 is tempting.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am not sure if GAF FC is still doing the Memories of Heavensward thing, but even if not, this one is mine.

Jxf2Spt.png

creid

Lack of boost potions doesn't make people have to know their classes

Source: Duty finder and Party Finder
I'm living proof that you can level in dungeons from 1-50 and still not know your job. Using the leveling roulette means you usually don't have full access to your skills because you're level synced, and since there is no 8-man leveling content I got WHM to 50 without ever using the big group heals. I had a pretty humiliating attempt at Leviathan HM back when it was new, when I realized I didn't know what Medica II did.

If you want an example of people not knowing their jobs at 60, you only really need to look at all of the WHMs that only cast Medica II. I still run into an embarrassing number of them that will cast it before the pull and wonder why they suddenly aggro'd all of the things.

studyguy

tfw you level your BLM to 60 with POTD and get out only to find you only ever finished the lvl 35 BLM quest. Fug

Got a lot of catching up to do, least I can watch all my shows while mindlessly leveling the jobs I don't ever play.

Stormblood will bring a lot of excellent BRD gear for me to ignore and go back to the old warwolf jerkin.

I know right, I've held onto the Warwolf jerkin since 2.1 or whenever it was introduced. And the boots. I think I got rid of the gloves at some point, and I don't know why.

Valonquar

I hate that they are getting rid of cross class skills. Sure, it was annoying for some to have to level a class they didn't care about for a necessary skill. However, it encouraged you to play more than one class/job, which in turn gives you a better understanding of party synergy. God forbid you discover you actually like the other classes/jobs. It also takes all of a day to level something 1 to 30++ so it's not like they were really putting you out that horribly.

I hate that they are getting rid of cross class skills. Sure, it was annoying for some to have to level a class they didn't care about for a necessary skill. However, it encouraged you to play more than one class/job, which in turn gives you a better understanding of party synergy. God forbid you discover you actually like the other classes/jobs. It also takes all of a day to level something 1 to 30++ so it's not like they were really putting you out that horribly.

Nah it was annoying to have people nag me about Blood for Blood. I don't have it, I'm not going to get it.

Every role had "correct" cross class skills anyways, so it's not like it encouraged build diversity. Most folks just leveled what they needed to get the meta preferred cross class skill and moved on.

Cross class sucked, the new system will, hopefully, be better.

Thorgal

no .. just no .

it needed to go .

there is no justifiable reason why players should be forced to level other jobs ( outside of leveling another job to lvl 15 for their job crystal and even that is eventually going to be on the chopping block ) just so they can learn skills to cross class on their main job .

Especially if said skill is on a job they absolutely not like.
Why should one be forced to level dragoon to 30+ for B4B if they absolutely dislike playing Draggoon?

Why should the warrior or Dark Knight be forced to play Paladin just to get a critical skill ?

it really needed to go and i hope it also goes for crafters and gatherers .

studyguy

Playing some classes only high enough to get your cross class gains you nothing relative to lvl 60 experience. Idk. Even having all jobs at 50 isn't enough experience to know what some jobs do currently if you didn't bother since HW.

So buying a Stormblood code from an online store lets you choose which platform its for when you redeem? I bought one for PC but if I see it on sale later on I can buy another and just apply that code to PS4?

Thorgal

so out of curiosity , how long did it take after HW launch before New optimal rotations with the new/changed skills started appearing ?

iammeiam

Cross-class had the potential to be cool, much like classes graduating to jobs had potential to be cool. It'd grow everyone's optional pool of skills over time, encourage experimentation, etc.

But since early 2.x the drive has been for conformity and single paths to success; the new jobs didn't even get classes, meaning they couldn't contribute to the cross-class pool, and there at no point seems to be any interest in a single job actually supporting multiple play styles beyond 'the right way' and 'the wrong way'. It's an interesting gimmick that's a bad fit for a game that continually doubles down on uniform everything.

I'm incredibly curious what the move to role-based means for the classes/jobs 'donating' the skills. Do they get new skills or traits to fill in the gaps for baseline skills they're now going to have to cross in?

I leveled Machinist to 60 and I still don't know what the fuck to do with it.

This is where I'd normally say "fun with turrets" but the job preview video makes it look like they're chucking that out because I pissed Yoshida off in a past life.

So: Turn off GB and run around the map spamming Clean Shot.

so out of curiosity , how long did it take after HW launch before New optimal rotations with the new/changed skills started appearing ?

People start throwing things out pretty early on, but there'll be a decent time period where things are in heavy flux. The expansion will break ACT for a while, and in early HW even once ACT was running it was having issues properly calculating DoT damage and randomly dropping WildFires, so the tools to actually determine some of the potentially vague buff stacking won't be up and running for a while.

It's kind of an exciting time because you get to figure out how things work and what can interact with what before everyone really settles on a final answer. The first few weeks can also signal a need for potency rebalances or other skill changes to the dev team before raids hit.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So buying a Stormblood code from an online store lets you choose which platform its for when you redeem? I bought one for PC but if I see it on sale later on I can buy another and just apply that code to PS4?
What? No, each code is tied to a platform. You don't choose which one you want to redeem it for.

Squishy3

What? No, each code is tied to a platform. You don't choose which one you want to redeem it for.
I believe you can choose which platform you get the early access code for, but the actual purchase is always for the platform you bought it for. IE you can buy a PC copy but redeem the early access code for PS4, but will need to play on PC after early access is over.

Redx508

for the new page
5Ig4dkZ.jpg

Memories of Heavensward - Ultros GAF Screenshot Contest

Stormblood is almost upon us, so for the month of May we'll relive the glorious (and not so glorious) memories of Heavensward.

To participate, submit a screenshot (yours only, please) of someplace in Heavensward that you may have a fond memory of (or just a liking for). If you are a new player, get a picture of whatever. I suggest you share your weird thoughts and anecdotes about Heavensward with the screenshot as well. Please include in your submission that you are submitting a screenshot for the HW Ultros GAF screenshot contest.

Players can only enter once, so you can post multiple screenshots but you will have only one entry.

Winner will be selected at random.

The prize is a date with Sosul Mars your choice of one of the following:
Wind-up Garuda
Wind-up Ifrit
Wind-up Leviathan
Wind-up Ramuh
Wind-up Shiva
Wind-up Titan
Wind-up Edda
If you already have all of the above, you'll receive a carry through Aurum Vale.
Winner will also receive 2 million gil and a Baby Opo-opo minion.

Entries will be accepted until May 31st. Post in the GAF FF14 OT or in screenshot-contest channel on the Discord server.

Allard

Cross-class had the potential to be cool, much like classes graduating to jobs had potential to be cool. It'd grow everyone's optional pool of skills over time, encourage experimentation, etc.

But since early 2.x the drive has been for conformity and single paths to success; the new jobs didn't even get classes, meaning they couldn't contribute to the cross-class pool, and there at no point seems to be any interest in a single job actually supporting multiple play styles beyond 'the right way' and 'the wrong way'. It's an interesting gimmick that's a bad fit for a game that continually doubles down on uniform everything.

I'm incredibly curious what the move to role-based means for the classes/jobs 'donating' the skills. Do they get new skills or traits to fill in the gaps for baseline skills they're now going to have to cross in?

The tooltips for the new role skills gave levels on them (cleric Stance lvl 8, protect level 16). I think they may have added skills for jobs that lost a ton of them but I think what has happened is you gain new cross skills naturally while leveling but you can only equip a certain amount at a time. In a way this new system of doing things auto prunes your ability pool while keeping a ton of them around. So in truth you didn't lose abilities in certain level ranges, they got replaced with the new cross role moves instead of gaining them from leveling a different class. (Also once earned you can equip them to be synced at a lower level, this was demonstrated in the healer role class section where Rescue is a lvl 48 ability but equipping it in the first slot opens it up at lvl 12)

studyguy

Took a bit.
YoshiP literally came out and told MCH to get fucking good at one point iirc.

Jeuxonline :
Now that the extension's out, players had the chance to give feedback on it. Do you plan on balancing the new jobs ? For instance, a lot of players find the DPS of the machinist to be too low.

Naoki Yoshida :
(laughs) We heard that a lot of players find the machinist's DPS to be low, however we've had the dev team run tests on it and the machinist job can do a lot of damage. I'm sure most players use that DPS recording software, and it can be outdated or the skill rotation used by the team and the players is different. At the moment we're looking into the origin of this difference.

I want to stay cautious on that topic. We understand that people complain about the machinist's dps being too low. There's a big difference between the numbers given by players and numbers given by the dev team members who have a very high experience of the game and perfect mastery of the machinist job. Thus we try to understand if a mistake could have been made on the dev team side regarding the DPS calculation or if the players are just not yet used to the machinist since Heavensward was only released a few days back, which is most likely not enough to master the job. Right now, we're trying to find out where the problem is and if there really is a problem or a bug, we'll obviously fix it. But we're not there yet, we're just looking into it and figuring out why it happens.

Concerning the machinist, his role is similar to the bard, it's a support for the other members of the team. So, compared to other pure DPS jobs like monk or ninja, of course its DPS will be lower since they have different roles. With the upcoming release of Alexander next week, we'll be very happy to receive feedback from the players.

I feel like something changed on MCH early on, but I might be off. Someone who main'd MCH at the start will have to check in, can't recall what they did to classes that far back that weren't tanks, personally.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Concerning the machinist, his role is similar to the bard, it's a support for the other members of the team. So, compared to other pure DPS jobs like monk or ninja, of course its DPS will be lower since they have different roles.

Oh I am laughing

Foxxsoxx

Yeah I want to like Machinist but even playing them in POTD is confusing as hell.

So many abilities, so many procs, turrets, reloads, so much to take in. It's scary.

iammeiam

He really wasn't all that right; that they had to scurry to patch stuff in and still couldn't get the job well-represented in endgame until 3.2 and a bunch of buffs is pretty clear indicator of that. It's standard YoshiP "Am I out of touch? No, no, it is the players who are wrong."

I feel like something changed on MCH early on, but I might be off. Someone who main'd MCH at the start will have to check in, can't recall what they did to classes that far back that weren't tanks, personally.

They did a bunch of tweaks to both ranged jobs around the same time relatively early on--bosted the % gain to Caster Stance to 30, tweaked some potencies (RIP original Ricochet, too good for this world), and for MCH halved the cool down of Quick Reload. That combined with the relative intensity of the opener, Reddit's early hatred of the job, I think some ACT weirdness with DoTs and dropping random Wildfires from parses, and Gordias' legendary DPS checks (seriously before my first raid day in 3.0 I got asked if I'd consider switching to bard if we needed extra DPS for Faust. I then proceeded to refuse to upgrade from law bow for the rest of prog.) meant it was odd man out until 3.2. Bard had the generally superior Foe Req, the safety net of familiarity, and a lot of the Gordias fights were more Bard-friendly (double-dotting in A1S, general AOE superiority in A2S combined with physical hyper charge not fucking working, 3S was a little closer, 4S was MCH territory but relatively few people made it that a far.)

3.2 saw the gigantic Hypercharge changes, a vast improvement in when procs displayed, etc, and started the MCH fad in earnest. Then 3.3 saw the Bard QQ counter-buffs.

studyguy

Man Stormsblood balance is gonna be absolute shit at 4.0 till the first patch, can't wait.

Good luck to everyone's class, may it get blessed by the borked meta balance gods.

Allard

Man Stormsblood balance is gonna be absolute shit at 4.0 till the first patch, can't wait.

Well one of the goals was to even out irregularities between classes and what they could do. Merging role skills, altering current ones to better mesh with other jobs synergy etc. That was the basis for the battle system changes. Despite the large changes I think balance issues will be more an issue among job roles rather then the jobs themselves with maybe the exception to the two new jobs, and since those are all dps, it likely means the dps are going to be the most unbalanced mess. I do hope the 3 tanks and the 3 healers will be better balanced this time around at minimum, getting rid of Accuracy and the changing to the role skill system should hopefully be a net positive to that direction.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Good luck to everyone's class, may it get blessed by the borked meta balance gods.
At this point whatever happens I won't mind it too much to be honest. They removed the casting time for Wanderer's Minuet and that's all I wanted.

Foxxsoxx

Anyone got any jobs they recommend for controller users?

I got bard to 60 and I'm liking it but I would like another choice before SB hits to see if I like anything more.

StarVigil

for the new page
EDIT: New pic
Heavensward - The Hood. The Sad. And the Nasty.
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/39210_20170524234827_v7sw0.png[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/ffxiv_30092016_040915qvkq6.png[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/ffxiv_30092016_1339530zum2.png[/IMG]
Burn it down. Burn it down to the ground.

Bonus for swimming in Stormblood:
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/ffxiv_28072015_23285878s72.png[/IMG]

Guess Who

Banned
Anyone got any jobs they recommend for controller users?

I got bard to 60 and I'm liking it but I would like another choice before SB hits to see if I like anything more.

Pretty much everything is viable on controller, though finding a good setup for SCH/SMN pet skills may require some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom