• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

They ain't adding five jobs. There were also just three rangers in the event. I still don't really buy that, but whatever.

More jobs are nice. We should find out next month.

Probably won't find out next month, we will probably be told one of the new jobs with the promise of more with a tease like last fanfest, there are 3 fanfests to spread the information again. Also Yoshida already mentioned their would be jobs (plural) for the next expansion, he just didn't go into whether its 2 or more. 3 makes sense. Also if that thread on reddit coming from Japanese bloggers is true one of those new jobs/classes coming might be a new gathering class (The animal farmer/breeder, aka the old 1.0 herding class that never came about). I still expect 3 new combat jobs.

They ain't adding five jobs. There were also just three rangers in the event. I still don't really buy that, but whatever.

More jobs are nice. We should find out next month.

Isn't fanfest in October?

Wouldn't be surprised if they teased one of the new jobs as a story NPC, kind of like what they did with Yugiri.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
you had to ride that elbst a lot during the event so clearly the new job is a firefighter

I think you mean BST and/or BLU. Spoilers, all of their job abilities involve summoning a monster to ride and then using their abilities via mount. The gobwalker in a2 was just a clever prototype that everyone loved, right? ...Right?

Wilsongt

Nothing truly exciting about the jobs will be revealed until Tokyo Fan Fest.

We all know Samurai is coming, so that is what they'll show at the NA Fan Fest. So, yeah, it'll be nice to have confirmation, but it's nothing truly revealing.

All, in all, it's just a big whole pile of

Qyumvwg.jpg

Ataxia

Was in a Thordan clear party earlier. Such a mess. 25% echo and people still can't get mechanics down. Siiiigh.

Also I saw a 'mentor' swear like mad in Idyllshire earlier and try to harass someone on the server. GG. They make that crown too easy to get.

aceface

Isn't fanfest in October?

Wouldn't be surprised if they teased one of the new jobs as a story NPC, kind of like what they did with Yugiri.

Not sure about that however robe and mask guy who's interested in the Warring Triad could be a new race! There's bunny ears under that cowl.

Also, if I remember back to the last fanfests, they didn't release specific job details until Europe and Japan fanfests. At the US one they only revealed that there would be new jobs and made it obvious what it would be with that one guy's batman shirt.

I swear the Expert Roulette might as well be the Sohr Khai roulette because I've been doing it every day for a few weeks now and I think I've seen the other dungeon like 3 times to the point where I don't even remember what it is.

So sick of Sohr Khai

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That's what the GAF group is like on Sargatanas. Our group has been rather small and we've been together since 1.0 launched (original GAF FFXIV group before 2.0 started). While no group is perfect and right now it can be a bit quiet there is usually people willing to help with content.

Funny that all of us who want a nice FC are on different servers. Malboro here and I can't transfer because of my friends

;_;

Wilsongt

I swear the Expert Roulette might as well be the Sohr Khai roulette because I've been doing it every day for a few weeks now and I think I've seen the other dungeon like 3 times to the point where I don't even remember what it is.

So sick of Sohr Khai

This is why only 2 dungeons in the roulette was such a terrible idea.

Arkeband

Banned
Kinda worrying? Is a Savage mode in itself a bad thing?

The clear rates are still abysmal and the raid scene is not healthy.

Story mode is faceroll and Savage is just obnoxious compared to Coil.

Really, the problem is that they release 4 bosses every 6-7 months, which means each fight needs to be meaningfully more difficult than the last, most other MMO's have raids with more bosses so the curve is gradual (and allows more opportunities for gear drops and team building). The only way to gear up is to smash your face against brick wall content or spend hours upon hours in content you could clear while sleeping. The only midcore ever happens for (some) EX trials.

The fact that cooldowns will be reset next patch cannot be understated. For fights where you can mess up a minute in and have to wait 4 minutes for a cooldown, you're spending 80% of your raid night sitting around doing nothing. The fact it's taken this long is baffling, but then again the game is still missing tons of other basic MMO launch features.

This is also a huge problem.

Skilletor

Friend just told me that when you do suiton w/ nin, you don't need to be under hide to do sneak attack.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Ninja so fun. :) Been slowly leveling it for about 8 months and almost up to 50. <3

My only goal was to get ninja gear and look like a ninja, lol.

The point of the expert roullete is to help people get by the latest content by providing a stream of players, its only natural the MSQ dungeon will be more common.

If you want variety there's the lvl 60 roullete.

Arkeband

Banned
The point of the expert roullete is to help people get by the latest content by providing a stream of players, its only natural the MSQ dungeon will be more common.

I think what would help make these roulettes feel less stale, if they can't give dungeon variety, is increasing the kinds of loot. Nothing should be giving x-potions or glamour prisms at this point.

For people in the raiding scene, the only rewards for 25-40 minutes of playtime is a fraction of that week's allowance of tomes, and trash gear you immediate turn around and junk for Grand Company seals. It's SO BORING.

If they added fun dungeon achievements (WoW does this), random rare drops (WoW does this), time attack leaderboards (WoW does this), you'd spice up these experiences. As it currently stands I know exactly what is going to happen every single run without variation.

Ataxia

Man the 60 roulette is worse. It's ALWAYS Research Facility because of the amount of eso it gives and the endless relic grind that people are on.

I've not got Arbo in a long time. Probably my favourite dungeon in the game too. ;___;

ebil

Friend just told me that when you do suiton w/ nin, you don't need to be under hide to do sneak attack.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Ninja so fun. :) Been slowly leveling it for about 8 months and almost up to 50. <3

My only goal was to get ninja gear and look like a ninja, lol.
That's the whole point of using Suiton! In group content, you'll be using it with Trick Attack.

The fact that cooldowns will be reset next patch cannot be understated. For fights where you can mess up a minute in and have to wait 4 minutes for a cooldown, you're spending 80% of your raid night sitting around doing nothing.
That made learning A8s where you get an individual DPS check for each DPS right off the bat excruciatingly painful and boring. CD reset on wipe is going to be a huge QoL improvement and will considerably speed up progression.

Wilsongt

Lovel 60 roulette? You mean Neverreap and St Mocchaine's roulette?

Skilletor

That's the whole point of using Suiton! In group content, you'll be using it with Trick Attack.

Yeah, once I get to 50. Hype!

I haven't put much effort into learning ninja because I was only playing it to get cool looking gear. This is the first time I've ever played a melee class in an FF game, lol.

Valor

The fact that cooldowns will be reset next patch cannot be understated. For fights where you can mess up a minute in and have to wait 4 minutes for a cooldown, you're spending 80% of your raid night sitting around doing nothing.
I dunno, my group doesn't wait for cooldowns and it's the best thing. Sure, the pulls get funky because of things coming back at different times, but there are no four+ minute cooldowns you NEED one minute into a fight. Any fight. Ever.

That made learning A8s where you get an individual DPS check for each DPS right off the bat excruciatingly painful and boring. CD reset on wipe is going to be a huge QoL improvement and will considerably speed up progression.
I mean I guess so? My personal experience with it may be skewed but we never really struggled on the a8s individual dps checks for very long, even with cooldown timers being weird.

it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fucking PB timer.
If you're learning a fight you don't really need PB up for every pull. Ain't like you're gonna clear the fight when you're learning it, so you don't strictly need PB up for the start of the pull.

I think the only cooldowns we ever "waited" on was Living Dead for A3s learning so that we could not spin the hand to face the group to ease healing and allow for positionals. Even then if we didn't have it up we would just... do the mechanic the right way.

So I recently resubbed after a one year hiatus. I have a few characters over 50 and 1 60 monk with 185ish item level.

Anyone have an idea what I should be doing at that item level? Also, are there any good warrior guides out there for tanking? I really want to tank in this game

ebil

I dunno, my group doesn't wait for cooldowns and it's the best thing. Sure, the pulls get funky because of things coming back at different times, but there are no four+ minute cooldowns you NEED one minute into a fight. Any fight. Ever.

I mean I guess so? My personal experience with it may be skewed but we never really struggled on the a8s individual dps checks for very long, even with cooldown timers being weird.

If you're learning a fight you don't really need PB up for every pull. Ain't like you're gonna clear the fight when you're learning it, so you don't strictly need PB up for the start of the pull.

I think the only cooldowns we ever "waited" on was Living Dead for A3s learning so that we could not spin the hand to face the group to ease healing and allow for positionals. Even then if we didn't have it up we would just... do the mechanic the right way.
I mean, it's cool if you guys are good enough to not feel that you need your CDs but that's not every group. Some of our DPS players kind of are on the low end on top of not being mechanically great (oh hi Megabeam/let's Elusive Jump into China) and while getting a better group of people that I don't know or like to solve my personal issue with waiting around for CDs could work, I'm happy at the alternative of having CD reset.

We usually don't wait for CDs either, we don't even wait on HG/LD if we can get around it another way because our tanks and healers are flexible enough, A8 is the first time this has actively bothered me.

Valor

I mean, it's cool if you guys are good enough to not feel that you need your CDs but that's not every group. Some of our DPS players kind of are on the low end on top of not being mechanically great (oh hi Megabeam/let's Elusive Jump into China) and while getting a better group of people that I don't know or like to solve my personal issue with waiting around for CDs could work, I'm happy at the alternative of having CD reset.

We usually don't wait for CDs either, we don't even wait on HG/LD if we can get around it another way because our tanks and healers are flexible enough, A8 is the first time this has actively bothered me.
Yeah yeah, I'm sorry I didn't mean to belittle but I know it came off that way in retrospect. I was just talking like game design/philosophy wise. Apologies if I offended anyone with that stuff.

I do agree on a whole that CD resets are wholly a great thing and it's about time. Definitely something we should have had since at least the start of HW. Better late than never!

Amirnol

I have a couple weeks off and am thinking of getting this expansion. Loved the base game, but mainly played it for the single player experience/story/exploring the world. Dungeons are cool but I'm not into raids. I last left off beating the final story mission of the base game with no significant patches. So I've got a few questions for anyone who doesn't mind:

-How is the single player experience and story in this expansion? Are the new areas good to explore?

-I heard there is something crazy like 30 hours of quests and whatnot to get through before reaching the expansion content, is this true? If so, is it good content?

-How does a Summoner play these days? Is it possible to fast-track a new class to lvl50 and start playing the expansion?

Thanks!

dramatis

So I recently resubbed after a one year hiatus. I have a few characters over 50 and 1 60 monk with 185ish item level.

Anyone have an idea what I should be doing at that item level? Also, are there any good warrior guides out there for tanking? I really want to tank in this game
If you want to tank, then you should just tank

Warrior consists of dpsing and then realizing that maybe you're dying, so you should pop a defensive cooldown

If you want to tank btw, you should probably spend the tomes/money/currency you get on tank gear.

I have a couple weeks off and am thinking of getting this expansion. Loved the base game, but mainly played it for the single player experience/story/exploring the world. Dungeons are cool but I'm not into raids. I last left off beating the final story mission of the base game with no significant patches. So I've got a few questions for anyone who doesn't mind:

-How is the single player experience and story in this expansion? Are the new areas good to explore?

Yes, the new areas are quite expansive, partly because they're designed to be flown through with the flying chocobos the expansion introduces, and the story is pretty interesting. Unlike the base game story, the English voice acting in Heavensward is actually decent.

-I heard there is something crazy like 30 hours of quests and whatnot to get through before reaching the expansion content, is this true? If so, is it good content?

Yes, there's a substantial story quest line that picks up from the end of the base game and leads directly into the story of Heavensward. It'll take quite a bit of time, but most of it is worthwhile. I found the base game's story fairly generic, but the patch added story gets immediately more engaging and only gets more so as it develops. There's a few trials and 2 dungeons as well during the 2.1-2.55 storyline.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

-How does a Summoner play these days? Is it possible to fast-track a new class to lvl50 and start playing the expansion?

Thanks!
The story in 3.0 is a huge step up from 2.0, can't really say the same about the story in 3.1 - 3.3 though. New areas are huge and can be a bit tedious to travel in since you have to unlock flight in each zone.

Yup, you have to complete the story patches 2.0 got to reach Ishgard. It's a lot of boring filler quest, a couple of dungeons, and tons of cutscenes. It slowly picks up and gets better and ends on a really high note much better than the story from lv 1 - 50.

Summoner is a beast at lv 60. They haven't started selling leveling tokens on the cash shop yet, but they have made several adjustment to exp payout to make it a bit easier to lv.

I wonder if they will allow flying in the expansion. Do you think people would react negatively to flight being kept only in Heavensward areas?

I'll be honest I wouldn't mind at all if there was no flying in the expansion areas.

Not sure about that however robe and mask guy who's interested in the Warring Triad could be a new race! There's bunny ears under that cowl.

Also, if I remember back to the last fanfests, they didn't release specific job details until Europe and Japan fanfests. At the US one they only revealed that there would be new jobs and made it obvious what it would be with that one guy's batman shirt.

Yeah, looking foward to when they reveal it all.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I though those were horns.
I wonder if they will allow flying in the expansion. Do you think people would react negatively to flight being kept only in Heavensward areas?

I'll be honest I wouldn't mind at all if there was no flying in the expansion areas.

Yeah, looking foward to when they reveal it all.
The thing about flying that gripes people is that its infinitely faster then land mounts. Once you get all the aether currents you can kiss you drake gooodbye.

Only if they make it so mounts have the same speed as flying ones regardless of where they are.

I don't care as much about flying per se as I care about traversal being fucking slow in ARR areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom