• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

DrDogg

A couple of things I think we may have missed from the recent interview:

Crafters will have other unique abilities, such as being able to add their own colors or patterns to the equipment they make. It is also possible that shop signs will be made available to long-time players, although Komoto says they are still considering different options. As for battle, it appears that crafting classes may have some abilities that could be utilized for light battles, but have little strength when compared to a battle-oriented job.

I know we talked about crafters in battle, but this is the first I've heard of crafters being able to add their own colors or patterns to equipment. Shop signs also sound cool.

Komoto reiterates how they plan to show pieces of FFXIV as the development cycle continues. They have focused extensively on Guildleve and information on the races is plentiful, so next up will be a deeper look into the Armoury System.

So Armoury System is the main focus of the video at TGS?

Munba

Other news from this week magazine from Eorzeapedia:
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/09/21/this-week-in-the-magazines-2/#more-1086

Tanaka and Hamamura

* Vana’diel and Hydaelyn are completely different worlds. Interviewer Hamamura tried to weed out exactly what connection could be between the two. For example, it makes the joke that Hydaelyn is way in the future and adventures could dig up fossils from Vana’diel but that isn’t the case. The two worlds are completely separate from each other.
* No word on if Goblins will be in FFXIV or not. However, a Cid character will probably make an appearance as he is a standard for the Final Fantasy series now. Tanaka also says there is a chance we could see Yagudos or Orcs as well.
* We mentioned it before but he compares the world of FFXIV with FFVI in terms of setting. It’s not a world of swords and magic, but “high fantasy” according to Tanaka.
* The graphics and techniques they can use have changed quite a bit. For example, what they can do with light and shadows. Tanaka says they’ve put a lot of effort into that this time around.
* Hamamura tried a couple times to get Tanaka to say if there would be more than the 5 playable races we currently know about. No luck, sadly.
* He says they are looking to include some kind of feature that allows your entire linkshell from FFXI to be on the same server together. Also directed at FFXI players, Tanaka says there is about another year’s worth of stuff for the Altana storyline. They plan to keep doing version updates about every three months.
* I want you to go watch the FFXIV trailer right now. No, really, turn it on. That music you are listening to? Tanaka says it is the theme music for Limsa-Lominsa! The music currently playing on the official site will be used somewhere else in game but he doesn’t reveal exactly where. Tanaka says the game will probably start with around 100 different tracks.

Director Komoto

* No update on how many different “weapons” there will be, largely in part because they aren’t sure how broad to define the word. Certainly there are swords and axes, but can you include a needle or blacksmith’s tools as “weapons”? That is one of the things they face with the new Armoury System for FFXIV.
* One of the things driving the Armoury System is the idea of learning abilities on a particular weapon. Of importance is the fact he says their idea was you could learn an ability on one weapon but still use it when you switch to another. He’s not sure how much it will be possible due to balance issues but that’s the goal. You can compare it to subjobs in FFXI. An ability you learned while leveling another job can also be used if you have a high enough level while its your subjob.
* They might try to add ways to make it more appealing to help out other players even if you’ve already finished a certain quest or defeated a certain monster. This reminds me of the keys system they are currently trying out with the add-on scenarios for FFXI.
* At the end of the interview, he says that it’s important for online games to continue to change and for the players to realize that as well. He also wants to assure everyone that it’s possible to be a FFXI player and FFXIV player at the same time and to look forward to its release!

Munba

Teknoman

Munba said:
Other news from this week magazine from Eorzeapedia:
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/09/21/this-week-in-the-magazines-2/#more-1086

* I want you to go watch the FFXIV trailer right now. No, really, turn it on. That music you are listening to? Tanaka says it is the theme music for Limsa-Lominsa! The music currently playing on the official site will be used somewhere else in game but he doesn’t reveal exactly where. Tanaka says the game will probably start with around 100 different tracks.

What? Seriously? How can something that epic sounding be a town theme?!

Unless its going to be a really busy town.

Teknoman

Oh snap, new stuff! Going to watch now!

EDIT:

Skin color editing is in :D

2gx34b8.jpg

jiggle

any direct download for the .flv?

that looks so awesome
i think i saw a summoner's horn :O

mithra 2.0 is so hawt

Alex

I was a little irked when they cut off the trailer at the end, I wanted to listen to the jammin battle music some more.

SamBishop

Banned
That Malboro in the CG bit was insanity. I think it's fairly safe to say we'll see something on that level next gen given the biggest hurdle this one was getting things to run in HD resolutions. I sooooo can't wait for this game. Hoping it'll be the one that gets me back into MMOs again.

Teknoman

hgplayer1 said:
pretty sure thats the same message at the end of the E3 trailer. Ive registered and never gotten anything from the site.

I just see " A new online epic begins" at the end of the E3 one.

Feep

Banned
I've said this before, but I am willing to give up a significant portion of the coming three years of my life to this world. It's where I want to be.

Eghhh, I'm a tad pathetic, but oh well. = D

SamBishop said:
That Malboro in the CG bit was insanity. I think it's fairly safe to say we'll see something on that level next gen given the biggest hurdle this one was getting things to run in HD resolutions. I sooooo can't wait for this game. Hoping it'll be the one that gets me back into MMOs again.

You sure that was CG? It's getting harder to tell, now that they are using motion-capture for all of their animations.

Arzehn

Awesome trailer!

I hope we get more beta details than just "subscribe to the newsletter" though.

As for the CG, it looks about half and half.

Shouta

The English version of the trailer was soooo much better than the Japanese one because the translation was really f'ing good.

Khrno

Unless it is the video's quality, I think many scenes (the first half in the tavern and the ship in the boat) are actually using the in-game engine since they don't look as sharp as CG (the fight scenes).

Great trailer. I knew we weren't going to get any more gameplay stuff out of it since it was just another trailer, so I was expecting something like this, and gladly I wasn't disappointed.

But the best part of the trailer is the Malboro in motion, simply awesome.

Khrno said:
Unless it is the video's quality, I think many scenes (the first half in the tavern and the ship in the boat) are actually using the in-game engine since they don't look as sharp as CG (the fight scenes).

first town cutscene is ingame (engine)
*CGI-stuff*
cutscene with the Roegadyn and the Miqo'te on the ground is ingame, too
*more CGI*
fight on boat could be ingame engine, hard to tell but looks similar to the ingame scene of the first trailer
*another CGI*
trailer ends.

I really like the vibe of the town scenes.

the quests/mission etc. cutscenes will be SO good (facial animation, details etc.)

Rawk Hawk

They still haven't mentioned anything about an XBOX version?

I remember the story about how they were "working out details with Microsoft" but haven't seen anything else. Have I missed something or am I still up to speed?

Khrno

SolidusDave said:
I really like the vibe of the town scenes.

the quests/mission etc. cutscenes will be SO good (facial animation, details etc.)

Did anyone else have the impression that there is a disaster hitting that town of the trailer?

Nothing on the situation with MS yet.

eggandI

Banned
Khrno said:
Did anyone else have the impression that there is a disaster hitting that town of the trailer?

Nothing on the situation with MS yet.
Yes. Probably foreshadowing the coming of the Garlean empire.

Top Bottom