• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Ainaurdur

I love the look of surprise the Roegadyn gives while the Hyur is choosing the Guildleves.

Would be a funny gif, if the camera didn't pan off of him right after it.

Ainaurdur said:
I love the look of surprise the Roegadyn gives while the Hyur is choosing the Guildleves.

Would be a funny gif, if the camera didn't pan off of him right after it.

argh, can't unsee

2lkfrqu.jpg

Teknoman

The only in game sections were: the inside of the boat, the huge monster attack on the deck of the boat, The Roegadyn and Miqoute on the grassy area, the boat shooting the cannon, and the flying ship shootout.

squall211

Have the devs mentioned whether or not they were going to at least attempt to make this game more solo friendly? Or is it still going to be very party focused like XI?

jiggle

squall211 said:
Have the devs mentioned whether or not they were going to at least attempt to make this game more solo friendly?

yes

but pretend not to have too much fun or they'll nerf it by next update

Teknoman

speedpop said:
Finally caught up with the trailer. So good.

Was there ever a big RP community in FF11?

Not that I know of....but people tend to half RP anyway without trying. Half stat talk/half lets go adventuring talk.

Teknoman

From FFXIV core.com:

First, what we found out about FFXIV:

•There will be no new info released at Tokyo Game Show

•They are discussing a beta system for Japanese users, but nothing is decided yet

•Newest information will be available via the newsletter

Hopefully not just for Japanese users...especially after the message in the english trailer. Then again i'm subscribed to both the NA and JP site.

Ainaurdur

speedpop said:

I have known some people to occasionally do some very light and casual RPing. Mainly on Mithra and Tarutaru characters. But it was more for amusement than anything else.

Don't think I ever witnessed any true RP going on.

Darkpen

Banned
omigaaaad D: D: D: D: :D :D :D :D

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

yes, I just saw the tgs trailer

edit: Like the others have said, the only RPing people ever really did on FFXI was taru-speak and mithra/manthra stuff. Beyond that, people USED to have strong ties to their nation's loyalties to the point of having animosity against other nations, primarily between Bastokan Humes and San d'Orean (male) Elvaans.

speedpop said:

When I played on Laakshmi, I was in an RP linkshell called "CantaPerMe;" we were about 20 strong, I believe. We did quite a bit of RPing, for the most part creating our own stories instead of in-game quests and missions. Took a lot of shit for it from teh hArDc0rEz. :lol It was fun, though.

Edit: Oh man, they're still around! http://cantaperme.darkbb.com/ Think I'll ask ol' Verence and company whether they plan to move to FFXIV. :D

Rawk Hawk

The extent of most peoples RP was taking on a role with their character model. You'd find yourself defending your race from others mocking your weaknesses. Other than that mainly stat talk.

so 2010 is the release date, isnt that also the release date for the US/EUR version of FF XIII, this game better be released EARLY 2010 so it wont clash with FFXIII late 2010.

Khrno

robertsan21 said:
so 2010 is the release date, isnt that also the release date for the US/EUR version of FF XIII, this game better be released EARLY 2010 so it wont clash with FFXIII late 2010.

What does it matter if the release date of both games are in the same quarter anyway? People wanting to play this game will still buy it regardless of how many AAA other games there are .

Eitherway XIII will be probably be released on around June or so and XIV around October, there is enough space between them to have casual FF fans get interested on XIV after playing XIII and for other to not get confused with both games.

Jinko said:
RP is disturbing and I never understood it.

Yes, most people don't. Meanwhile, I never understood why role-playing, or any type of fan fiction, is seen by some as universally disturbing in and of itself. There are instances of disturbing fan fiction and, I'm sure, disturbing RP i.e. "yiffing" and the like. But why categorically dump all role-players into that camp?

Rawk Hawk

Shouta said:
I'm gonna hunt down SE tomorrow and force them to let me play FFXIV.

Good luck, while you have their ear, force them to announce a 360 version so I can focus my energy on deciding how I will develope Joachim this time around, and stop worrying if I'm going to get to join this party 4 years too late.

madara

Jinko said:
RP is disturbing and I never understood it.

Nah, whats disturbing is players like hellokitty, darkkitty, meowmeow, bobsagot, thedeathkiller, cute phrase names that are suppose to be funny but rather show complete bankrupt creativity for an avatar your going put thousands of hours into. I dont have any interest in nonstop role playing, that would be abit too hard for me but an actual RP server with a strict name policy, conduct, formation of a more adult community without the wow cyber sex kiddie crap I'm completely down for.

Lain

speedpop said:

I never met any RP person while playing FF11.

Darkpen said:
Beyond that, people USED to have strong ties to their nation's loyalties to the point of having animosity against other nations

I remember I've never been able to stand both Bastok and San d'Oria, it was Windurst for life for me.

Ainaurdur

Khrno said:
Now that I remember, the GMs always role-played :lol
And you just reminded me of the one time I got stuck, knee deep in the stones, in front of the Bastok Markets AH. The GM that rescued me seemed truly shocked and dismayed at my plight.

Ravidrath

Khrno said:
Now that I remember, the GMs always role-played :lol

Heh, we had this awesome GM show up in a Limbus run once. He was, like, cheering us from the sidelines, telling us to "pwn the giraffe thingy," etc. He showed himself, which I don't think he's supposed to do, but it was funny.

robertsan21 said:
you got them mixed around
FFXIII is early 2010 XIV is late 2010

Teknoman

Darkpen said:
omigaaaad D: D: D: D: :D :D :D :D

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

yes, I just saw the tgs trailer

edit: Like the others have said, the only RPing people ever really did on FFXI was taru-speak and mithra/manthra stuff. Beyond that, people USED to have strong ties to their nation's loyalties to the point of having animosity against other nations, primarily between Bastokan Humes and San d'Orean (male) Elvaans.

Some still do. Lastok my ass.

Munba said:

Rawk Hawk said:
The extent of most peoples RP was taking on a role with their character model. You'd find yourself defending your race from others mocking your weaknesses. Other than that mainly stat talk.

Yup pretty much.

Khrno

Ravidrath said:
He showed himself, which I don't think he's supposed to do, but it was funny.

They always show up when they want, I don't think they aren't allowed to do so.

I saw rather a quite amount of GMs over my time in the game, not just in Aerys, Behe and Tiamat, but in cities, random areas, and of course in Mordion Gaol. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was thinking of buying Aion, but then realized I would give up on it and play FFXIV instead when it comes out:p

But then again... I probably won't either. I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Darkpen

Banned
Teknoman said:
Some still do. Lastok my ass.

Yup pretty much.
When I first began playing, Bastok would rarely ever get first in conquest, and it was certainly a point of contention and hatred between the bastokans and sandoreans for a long time. After 2 years, though, after several expansions came out, people were 10ranking their nations and shifting around, Bastok got to see quite a bit of its own share of 1st ranking, especially when I came back.

lol, lastok... I've never heard that before, or maybe I have D:

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DimmuBurgerKing said:
Yes, most people don't. Meanwhile, I never understood why role-playing, or any type of fan fiction, is seen by some as universally disturbing in and of itself. There are instances of disturbing fan fiction and, I'm sure, disturbing RP i.e. "yiffing" and the like. But why categorically dump all role-players into that camp?

I played FFXI back when it launched for a year, and listening to all the mainstream FF fans grapple with the idea of the game and MMORPG social conventions was interesting. Basically, they'd never thought about /actual/ role playing much, as in the kind that goes in around a pen and paper table. So to them, the basic idea when encountered was slotted into "the play pretend kiddies do, and grow out of at age 7". It was unsettling to them because they'd never in their life really imagined adults might "play pretend" in that setting.

Therefore, most just concluded it was at best super dorky and impossible to understand, and at worst, indicated people who role played were retarded and possibly dangerously mental.

Kaijima said:
I played FFXI back when it launched for a year, and listening to all the mainstream FF fans grapple with the idea of the game and MMORPG social conventions was interesting. Basically, they'd never thought about /actual/ role playing much, as in the kind that goes in around a pen and paper table. So to them, the basic idea when encountered was slotted into "the play pretend kiddies do, and grow out of at age 7". It was unsettling to them because they'd never in their life really imagined adults might "play pretend" in that setting.

Therefore, most just concluded it was at best super dorky and impossible to understand, and at worst, indicated people who role played were retarded and possibly dangerously mental.

Well, I won't try to deny that. :lol Your explanation makes sense. My RPG experience begins with playing D&D at a very young age, so I guess the actual "role-playing" aspect of tabletop RPGs migrated with me to MUDs and then MMOs. That probably holds true for many role-players in MMO's, so I can see how gamers weened solely on console/computer RPGs might have that mindset.

In RP's defense, however, it's escapist and a good creative outlet for a person who enjoys drama and improvisation in particular.

DrDogg

Hmm... kind of sad that TGS has essentially come and gone, and while we got a new trailer, there isn't much "news" to speak of. I think this thread has seen two pages of growth since TGS started. A small cry compared to the dozen or so pages from Gamescom news.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DrDogg said:
Hmm... kind of sad that TGS has essentially come and gone, and while we got a new trailer, there isn't much "news" to speak of. I think this thread has seen two pages of growth since TGS started. A small cry compared to the dozen or so pages from Gamescom news.

TGS as a whole has been very underwhelming. Square said from the beginning that FFXIV would only see a trailer as well :/

DrDogg

Kagari said:
TGS as a whole has been very underwhelming. Square said from the beginning that FFXIV would only see a trailer as well :/

I didn't expect anything playable, but maybe some interviews or a Q&A or something... I guess I just expected more news coming from such a big event.

The problem is tgs was the last of the big game shows this year. All the big news broke at E3 and even PAX. If they were gonna give any big info, they would have already done so.

Desi

they still have Jump Festa and we all know SE loves Jump Festa. Don't forget the Fan Festivals for FFXI too, there will be XIV talk without a doubt.

Khrno

Desi said:
they still have Jump Festa and we all know SE loves Jump Festa. Don't forget the Fan Festivals for FFXI too, there will be XIV talk without a doubt.

You are right, probably the next information we'll get will be from the FFXI fanfest or from some event exclusive for XIV.

But I'm sure we won't have to wait until JF which will still be focused on XIII since it is almost during release.

DrDogg

Dreamwriter said:
The problem is tgs was the last of the big game shows this year. All the big news broke at E3 and even PAX. If they were gonna give any big info, they would have already done so.

What info did we get from PAX?

Also, do we even know if there's going to be a Fan Festival this year? Looking back at previous years I guess it's usually announced in October, but the site still shows 2008 stuff.

Top Bottom