• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Antagon

Mik2121 said:
I've never played FFXI... would 2000Gil be much, supposing stuff costs the same in FFXIV?

2000 gils would be almost nothing. But still, a quest like this (kill some low lvl stuff) in FFXI would probably not make you more then a 100 gil.

jiggle

Mik2121 said:
I've never played FFXI... would 2000Gil be much, supposing stuff costs the same in FFXIV?

FFXI economy is player dictated
so if 2000gil is so easily obtained, it probably won't be worth much

Khrno

jiggle said:

I agree, and basing us from this quest, I think we will see items going for millions within weeks, if not days, of release (or even before in the beta), so the gil will flow in big numbers.

Jinko

Nif said:
No, but giving gil directly to people (say, from stores or quests) has to be done very carefully or the in-game economy can go to shit. That looks like a low level quest, anyway.

I don't agree with that really, WoW has currency dropping out its a**, but there is still stability, the economy is set by the amount of currency on a server.

It's not just currency though its the amount of players on the server and the ease of farming items.

FF11's economy was one of the worst I have seen in an MMO, especially for the first couple of years.

Beaten.

Jinko said:
It's not just currency though its the amount of players on the server and the ease of farming items.

FF11's economy was one of the worst I have seen in an MMO, especially for the first couple of years..

Actually, for the first couple years it was fine. It was after that it got totally jacked by gill-sellers. In recent years Square managed to get a handle on the problem.

Ravidrath

First, I highly doubt that these numbers, or even possibly this entire Guildleve, will make it into the final game.

Second, nobody knows how much armor upkeep costs, which will be a huge and all-encompassing gilsink, like it is in WoW.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
Actually, for the first couple years it was fine. It was after that it got totally jacked by gill-sellers. In recent years Square managed to get a handle on the problem.

Well I remember having to pay 1.5 million gil for a scroll of erase because it only dropped in one BC at the time (there was many examples of stuff like this), you can't blame RMT's for that.

Also gear was a lot more scarce so the cost was so much higher.

You are right in that at one point the econemy was pretty much destroyed by RMT's though.

MrPliskin

Banned
So, any ideas on about how much this may or may not cost per month?

I'm perfectly comfortable giving up $15 a month, I did it long enough w/WoW...but I can't do more than that, lol, I just couldn't live with myself.

carlo6529

Borman said:
I paid 330k for Erase >< Its scary to see that it costs a whopping 2 or 3k now.

What do scorpion claws go for now? I remember selling one for 5 million.

Also, I think I paid like 80k for erase.

suzu

MrPliskin said:
So, any ideas on about how much this may or may not cost per month?

I'm perfectly comfortable giving up $15 a month, I did it long enough w/WoW...but I can't do more than that, lol, I just couldn't live with myself.

FFXI was 12 bucks a month I think (and $1 for every character after)? Probably won't be more than $15 a month.

I hope they don't charge for extra characters for FFXIV...

Shouta

carlo6529 said:
What do scorpion claws go for now? I remember selling one for 5 million.

Also, I think I paid like 80k for erase.

You're thinking of Venemous Claws to make the Scorpion Harness. Those are like 100-200k now thanks to gil-sellers getting their face punched and the supply of V.claws going up thanks to BCNMs.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Well I remember having to pay 1.5 million gil for a scroll of erase because it only dropped in one BC at the time (there was many examples of stuff like this), you can't blame RMT's for that.

That is true, but they learned that lesson about three years ago, when they added non-salable versions of the most-camped items, and put most BCNM drops in many places.

It's even crazier now, with ANNMs and Campaign Unions in the past dropping all kinds of once-rare crafting materials, and custom Augmented weapons that are better than some rare drops.

I'd imagine we'll see a lot of this stuff carry over into the XIV. In particular, I'm curious to see if custom Augmented gear will be a big focus of XIV. Not only could you possibly create your own armor that enables your various class abilities, it would also fit into their statement about "a much wider variety of armor."

carlo6529

Shouta said:
You're thinking of Venemous Claws to make the Scorpion Harness. Those are like 100-200k now thanks to gil-sellers getting their face punched and the supply of V.claws going up thanks to BCNMs.

Yah, that's it. I am not sure how high the price of those venemous claws got, but when I sold it for 5 million, it was considered a bargain to some extent. Not long after, they were selling for 8 million on the Bahamut server.

Glad to hear the gil sellers are being screwed over now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Speaking of economy, I paid such a ridiculous amount of gil for an opaline dress. Ridiculous as in "all the gil I farmed for 6 months straght".

Geez. I managed to sell it once it was down to like 300k though.

Achtius

Captain N said:
since they won't let you carry over your name from XI to XIV will we see a mad dash for everyone to get their name?

I thought they say they are trying to find a way (surname) to allow you to carry your name o.o

Teknoman

Achtius said:
I thought they say they are trying to find a way (surname) to allow you to carry your name o.o

So what, it would be something like... Teknoman the ______? Or basic last names?

Robot 492

Banned
Darkpen said:
I made some FFXIV emoticons if anyone would be interested in using them D:

They're a bit unpolished, though.
Lets see them :)

Teknoman said:
So what, it would be something like... Teknoman the ______? Or basic last names?
I thought it was just basic last names. At least, that's the impression I got from the article I read about it.

Teknoman

http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/971-assurances-from-hiromichi-tanaka/

•Like the religion of Altana in FFXI, “[Eorzea] will have its own religion. It’ll be a really unique type of world,” he says.

•As to the aesthetic of the game, Tanaka explained that “This time with the world of Eorzea, what we’re trying to achieve is a very unique world. It’s going to be difficult to say whether it’s in the future or in the past. It’ll have some type of sci-fi element to it, and at the same time having medieval elements, so it’s really going to be difficult to say what type of world it’s going to be.”

•By way of explanation of the weapons/class system, he said that the goal is "flexibility" and "variety."

•As we knew before, surnames may be added to the game. However, Tanaka explained that the goal of such an addition is to facilitate easier name transfers for FFXI veterans attached to their current monikers.

•Finally, Tanaka expressed happiness that Nobuo Uematsu will be doing the score for FFXIV. “As he’s very busy, we didn’t expect him to do all of the music for FFXIV, but this time he kindly suggested that he would take care of the whole [score]," he said.

Really glad the world seems like it'll be a sort of... FFIV FFVI mix. Now crossing fingers for a "moon" area :D

Khrno

Teknoman said:
Now crossing fingers for a "moon" area :D

Oh yeah!

thumb.jpg

Bring back the Weapons!

evil_weapon.jpg

I know what Moon you are talking about

madara

Would be cool have some type of appealing server for adult players, like rpg one. Just amazes me how creatively bankrupt peoples avatar names are with the whole 30 secs of thought into them or always going for real world catch phrases that break the immersion and really aren't that cute.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Teknoman said:

•Like the religion of Altana in FFXI, “[Eorzea] will have its own religion. It’ll be a really unique type of world,” he says.

•As to the aesthetic of the game, Tanaka explained that “This time with the world of Eorzea, what we’re trying to achieve is a very unique world. It’s going to be difficult to say whether it’s in the future or in the past. It’ll have some type of sci-fi element to it, and at the same time having medieval elements, so it’s really going to be difficult to say what type of world it’s going to be.”

•By way of explanation of the weapons/class system, he said that the goal is "flexibility" and "variety."

•As we knew before, surnames may be added to the game. However, Tanaka explained that the goal of such an addition is to facilitate easier name transfers for FFXI veterans attached to their current monikers.

•Finally, Tanaka expressed happiness that Nobuo Uematsu will be doing the score for FFXIV. “As he’s very busy, we didn’t expect him to do all of the music for FFXIV, but this time he kindly suggested that he would take care of the whole [score]," he said.

Really glad the world seems like it'll be a sort of... FFIV FFVI mix. Now crossing fingers for a "moon" area :D

Doesn't really seem like anything really meaty came out of this interview. But at the same time, I can appreciate the situation SE is in. People want constant updates, and they want them all to be filled with new info - if they actually tried anything like that, everyone would be bored with the game months before it's release.

That being said, I want more info on weapons!

carlo6529

Teknoman said:

Looking forward to seeing and learning more about the world. I just hope they manage to balance the two themes successfully.

Teknoman said:

Must hear more Uematsu music @_@

Khrno

Jinko said:
I loved partying there, hated the weapons in sky though.

I wonder why you liked it there better instead of Sky?

It wasn't possible to chain there past 5, although it was a much better place than Kuftal, at least no shitty paralyze and silence, and I always hated spiders and darters to exp on them. So pre-CoP it was like the best place for 70-73, but after that Sky was the superior place.

Zalasta

Khrno said:

It wasn't possible to chain there past 5, although it was a much better place than Kuftal, at least no shitty paralyze and silence, and I always hated spiders and darters to exp on them. So pre-CoP it was like the best place for 70-73, but after that Sky was the superior place.

KRT worked well at ~70 until burn parties became popular. Best place with a PLD tank and especially if you have a MNK or two.

eggandI

Banned
Fuck weapons :(
and wights
and banshees

Because having a party member unknowingly get followed by a banshee (or weapon or wight) resulting in the death of the entire party and any other party close to yours was never fun.

carlo6529

So, think we will get a heavy gameplay based trailer at TGS? Maybe a beta announcement?

I thought for sure there wold be another demo playable at TGS. What are you expecting?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
carlo6529 said:
So, think we will get a heavy gameplay based trailer at TGS? Maybe a beta announcement?

I thought for sure there wold be another demo playable at TGS. What are you expecting?

New trailer, at least.

Khrno

Zalasta said:
KRT worked well at ~70 until burn parties became popular. Best place with a PLD tank and especially if you have a MNK or two.

Oh yeah, I forgot that place. Since DRK was my first job at 75, I always hated it there as much as any other DRK.

You know, no Drain/Aspir/Absorbs, so it was really annoying there. Awesome as BLM tho.

Do we have any new info from the Famitsu preview?

Mik2121

Famitsu has some info on FFXIV this week?

It might be the first week I buy the magazine in the last half year or so..

Jinko

Seems there will only be video at TGS, no playable stuff, probably be concentrating on FF13 instead which makes sense.

Kind of hoping for a decent in game trailer.

Jinko

Khrno said:

It wasn't possible to chain many places past 5 before ToAU, Had some really good XP parties in moon though :)

Plus its not always about how fast you make xp, as long as you're having fun whilst doing it.

Teknoman

Actually by moon I mean something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-3810G50g

ff4face.gif

EDIT: Just realized that Thaumaturge is Golbez's style on Dissidia. S-E's definition seems to be something that casts spells that strike both physically and magically simutaneously, so possibly a battlemage.

Of course thats just speculation.

carlo6529

New famitsu info has been translated. If you look for it, you'll find it in the places you would expect. Some old, some new~

More thoroughly explains the guildleves, in particular the ones featured at the gamescom demo.

Couple new pics of the common monsters found in the demo.

A better explanation how the combat system works.

Japan won't be getting the demo featured at gamescom, rather a new one, however, it won't be featured at a gaming event like TGS; will be more private and invite only. Coming soon~

Game is roughly 40-50% complete

A few other things worth seeing/reading about.

Top Bottom