• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Can the PC version of this game play with people using the PS3 version? I'd like to get it on PC and still play with my friends who don't have gaming computers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
autobzooty said:
Can the PC version of this game play with people using the PS3 version? I'd like to get it on PC and still play with my friends who don't have gaming computers.

Yeah.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
autobzooty said:

Yes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
autobzooty said:
Yes. If the game ever comes to the 360, I'm wondering how that'll work. Have PS3 users ever been able to play with 360 users?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seiken said:
Yes. If the game ever comes to the 360, I'm wondering how that'll work. Have PS3 users ever been able to play with 360 users?

Supposedly that's one of the issues MS has with FFXIV.

Yoshichan

Nuclear Winter said:
You can install FFXI on the PS3. PC, PS3, PS2, and 360 users all play together.
But installing FFXI on your PS3 won't actually get the game to run on Playstation Network servers won't it? That's the thing, PS3 and 360 has never been compatible with each others network.

Chris R

Seiken said:
FFXI... PS3?
You download a special file from the Playstation store (if your PS3 is PS2 BCable) and then you can play FFXI on your PS3.

And there are no "servers" that the game runs off for 360 or PS2. They are all housed at SE or wherever and everyone plays together. The "network" doesn't matter.

Also, why is weaver listed as a gathering class? I think a weaver is closer related to a tailor/ect as in someone who would make very light armor for magical classes/light melee classes to use.

Yoshichan

rhfb said:
You download a special file from the Playstation store (if your PS3 is PS2 BCable) and then you can play FFXI on your PS3.

And there are no "servers" that the game runs off for 360 or PS2. They are all housed at SE or wherever and everyone plays together. The "network" doesn't matter.
Ooh I had no clue! Thanks for the info.

Ainaurdur

Kintaro said:
Lighten up. Scam as in "Hey guys! Want in the FF XIV PC Beta? Reactiviate your content IDs for a month and you get access to the beta!"

Also, it's not hate. Its being critical. That's not a bad thing. The forum has been critical of them for quite awhile now. FFXI players both old, new, former and active should be as well. It's not like they've done anything as of late to make anyone love them. :lol
And I hate how easily I would be tempted to be one of those returning subscribers. Such a shame.
Love/Apathy for me. I don't know that I have ever outright hated SE.

DrDogg

Jonnyram said:
They are not gonna ship 1 million copies of a beta.

You don't have to. Ship it with a beta key and the first X number of people get in. While I'm not saying for sure SE will package a beta with FFXIII, I don't think it's out of the question.

B.K.

DrDogg said:
You don't have to. Ship it with a beta key and the first X number of people get in. While I'm not saying for sure SE will package a beta with FFXIII, I don't think it's out of the question.

Or have a special edition of XIII that comes with the XIV beta and charge an extra 2500 Yen for it.

Khrno

B.K. said:
Or have a special edition of XIII that comes with the XIV beta and charge an extra 2500 Yen for it.

That's not a good way to get uninterested people on playing the game.

I'm sure if 100k-200k units of that SE come out, that the FFXI fans will dig them up very quickly, but I think there are better ways to get those people to try the game than to make the normal FF fans say: "Why are they making us pay more for beta key that's ridiculous", and then again, those people probably bought the demo, I mean the movie with the demo.

Eitherway, I think it would be better to have something like an extra free 15 days to try out the game, after release of course, bundled with XIII. People will either keep their keys and buy the game to use them and play for free some 45 days (including a potential 30 free days as in XI), that would help up on unit sales and would make people want to try out the game.

hteng

Banned
it doesn't matter what platform you are playing from, everyone running on the same protocol when it comes to the internet, IP, as long as the correct TCP/UDP are open and the correct protocols between server and client, there would be no problem playing togather from different platforms.

The servers does not care what platform you are on, they just need to know your public IP and what commands the client (the game) is sending to it. The graphical stuff are processed locally after receiving the response from the servers.

you can easily sniffed the packets on the PC ver since you can install applications on it ie: wireshark. From those packets you can determine various information like server ip, udp port..etc.

DrDogg

Khrno said:
That's not a good way to get uninterested people on playing the game.

I'm sure if 100k-200k units of that SE come out, that the FFXI fans will dig them up very quickly, but I think there are better ways to get those people to try the game than to make the normal FF fans say: "Why are they making us pay more for beta key that's ridiculous", and then again, those people probably bought the demo, I mean the movie with the demo.

Eitherway, I think it would be better to have something like an extra free 15 days to try out the game, after release of course, bundled with XIII. People will either keep their keys and buy the game to use them and play for free some 45 days (including a potential 30 free days as in XI), that would help up on unit sales and would make people want to try out the game.

I think it will be too long between the release of FF13 and FF14 to offer anything other than a FF14 beta. If SE offered a free month or whatever I think people would lose their keys/codes or simply forget about it in the 6+ months between releases.

Jinko

It's out of the question, SE don't want people playing the FF14 beta they want people beta testing it and helping them fixing bugs.

By bundling a beta with FF13 they are putting across the wrong message, they will get people playing the beta and complaining on forums like this about quests that don't work etc and the millions of bugs they have found, yet forgetting to actually log a single one of them to the developer.

Also the first lot of beta's will have NDA's etc, so they won't want every Tom Dick and Harry playing it and leaking secrets all over the internet.

I think Tanaka said in an interview something about the 360 version that they are dicussions with MS about the XBL interface, SE wants to use their own gateway and MS wants to use XBL, so for now there is no way to go ahead.

Awntawn said:
FFXI in Japan shipped with 6 jobs available at default and 6 more advanced jobs available as quests at level 30, all in the box. SMN was also added for free via questing when Zilart was released (although aside from carbuncle summons required the expansion locations to acquire), and for SAM DRG and NIN, the quest for the jobs required locations in Zilart.
Ah I see, my memory fails me.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
I think Tanaka said in an interview something about the 360 version that they are dicussions with MS about the XBL interface, SE wants to use their own gateway and MS wants to use XBL, so for now there is no way to go ahead.

I'm actually guessing it's the opposite? I think the only reason FFXI got away with things last time was because it was through POL, and thus "could not be confused with XBL."

This time, since there's no POL, people "might confuse" Square's online experience with Microsoft's, and thus must fall in line with all of the usual XBL requirement, like multiplayer requiring Gold accounts, certain chat features, etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:
It's out of the question, SE don't want people playing the FF14 beta they want people beta testing it and helping them fixing bugs.

By bundling a beta with FF13 they are putting across the wrong message, they will get people playing the beta and complaining on forums like this about quests that don't work etc and the millions of bugs they have found, yet forgetting to actually log a single one of them to the developer.

Also the first lot of beta's will have NDA's etc, so they won't want every Tom Dick and Harry playing it and leaking secrets all over the internet.

Closed betas usually come with NDA, not too many open ones do and those that do are stupid for doing so because no one cares when it's an "open" beta.

Beta tests are no longer the beta tests of old. If they want that, they better just keep it completely closed. With beta tests acting more like previews, especially with companies hardly ever improving on beta build issues, they have gained this stigma about this.

If SE wants an honest to god beta, it should be closed with heavy NDAs. The moment its open...it's pretty much a "preview".

FFXIV Core has a new interview up from Dengeki PlayStation

Dengeki: Say, for tailors, are there leves set up for them to craft?

Tanaka: Yes, in those leves, there aren't any fighting so tailors can level up their crafting skills like smithing and tailoring.

Sage: This time around, because of the Guildleves, players can focus on crafting to level skills up. They can progress in the game this way.

Tanaka: It's possible to reach the highest level without even having to fight once! This is one of the concept for this game.
Is Tanaka referring to the highest craft level or character/class level? Or perhaps both of those are the samething?

Lucis

Classic_Gs said:
FFXIV Core has a new interview up from Dengeki PlayStation

Is Tanaka referring to the highest craft level or character/class level? Or perhaps both of those are the samething?

lol that's my article
didn't want to post it because there was a scan in it.

there's no character/class level, your craft level is your "class level"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
English and Japanese VA with the other languages subtitled...
It's good to see them working on localization all at once for a world wide release. Something the FFXIII team should have aimed for initially.

Mik2121

This might be the first MMORPG I get in after 6 years or more of Ragnarok Online.

Do you guys know if I'll be able to play in English if I get the Japanese version? I live in Jpn so I'll be getting the local version (and probably the beta too, if it's included in FFXIII) and while I can read Japanese with almost no problems, I can read English that much better, and the game flow is smoother.... so, yeah.. do you guys have any idea?
Did FFXI in Japan include English?

Also, if I buy, as I said, the Japanese version, will I be able to play with people from other regions? (ie, all of you guys).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mik2121 said:
This might be the first MMORPG I get in after 6 years or more of Ragnarok Online.

Do you guys know if I'll be able to play in English if I get the Japanese version? I live in Jpn so I'll be getting the local version (and probably the beta too, if it's included in FFXIII) and while I can read Japanese with almost no problems, I can read English that much better, and the game flow is smoother.... so, yeah.. do you guys have any idea?

Also, if I buy, as I said, the Japanese version, will I be able to play with people from other regions? (ie, all of you guys).

Yes. Cross region, cross platform, multi-language.

Kirashi said:
lol that's my article
didn't want to post it because there was a scan in it.

there's no character/class level, your craft level is your "class level"
I was just linking to FFXIV Core, and now I see you beat me to it :D. Completing quests to earn skill ups is an interesting concept, and could definitely be better than just spinning a crystal.

Khrno

Mik2121 said:

If you are ok playing a game with japanese text, then you would be fine, howerver, if you really feel that you would be more comfortable having all the UI and in-game text in english, just buy any of the other 2 versions.

I think you could always do some DAT swaps instead, but that turns up to be a chore since you would have to do it after every update. And don't worry for release dates, since it will be a worldwide simultaneous release.

I'm planning on swapping my sound DAT files so I can have Japanese voices, because I don't think there will be dual voice option, especially in the EU version since it should have 3 languages in the DVDs/BD already.

Dengeki said:
Tanaka: Since the weapons have durability this time around, you can't keep on fighting with the same weapon over and over. Crafting becomes an essential element of the game. The fighting class will either be asking help from crafters or level up a crafting skill on their own!

*Halfway through fighting some Nidhogg look-alike*

Me: Oh shi- my Ridill broke!

LS: (laughs)
NH: (laughs)
Tanaka: (laughs)
Iwata: (laughs)

May16

What's a "guild leve?"
I looked it up but I have no idea what this means.
No results found for leve:
Did you mean leave?
Thesaurus suggestions:
leave
levee
lever
level
eve
levy
live
love
Not trying to be a jerk, just honestly not sure what to relate this to in my head.

eggandI

Banned
Khrno said:
If you are ok playing a game with japanese text, then you would be fine, howerver, if you really feel that you would be more comfortable having all the UI and in-game text in english, just buy any of the other 2 versions.

I think you could always do some DAT swaps instead, but that turns up to be a chore since you would have to do it after every update. And don't worry for release dates, since it will be a worldwide simultaneous release.

I'm planning on swapping my sound DAT files so I can have Japanese voices, because I don't think there will be dual voice option, especially in the EU version since it should have 3 languages in the DVDs/BD already.

:lol

It's cool though that players can fix weapons themselves. Hopefully there are fix NPCs too.

Teknoman

•Variation among armor progress more drastically than FFXI!

•Different armor will have different skill requirements. Each weapon has corresponding gear paths. There is general purpose gear and skill purposed gear, example is fencers for increased speed of sword skill leveling.

•SE would love to start the beta immediately, but more development work needs to be done. Tanaka wants some playable form of the game available to everyone like the 30 minute guild leve example at Gamescom.

Nice.

May16 said:
What's a "guild leve?"

Not trying to be a jerk, just honestly not sure what to relate this to in my head.

Its like a pass to do something.

Khrno

Classic_Gs said:
I was just linking to FFXIV Core, and now I see you beat me to it :D. Completing quests to earn skill ups is an interesting concept, and could definitely be better than just spinning a crystal.

This is the best crafting system I have ever seen, everything is automatized, sooooooooo cool, lazyness for the win:

Aion0010.jpg

eggandI said:
It's cool though that players can fix weapons themselves. Hopefully there are fix NPCs too.

I hope there are some guild masters NPC that will charge you for fixing your items, at least to fix the normal kind of items, and leave the best items to be fixed by players. They can implement some system where you trade an item to be fixed/crafted, but the crafter won't actually keep the item, so there's no risk for stealing.

May16 said:
What's a "guild leve?"

NeoForte found this, and kinda makes more sense:

For those who haven't found out, leve is:

Leve\, v. t. [OE. leven, AS. l[=e]fan, l[=y]fan. See Leave permission.] To grant; -- used esp. in exclamations or prayers followed by a dependent clause. [Obs.]
God leve all be well. --Chaucer.

Mik2121

Khrno said:

I don't mind playing games in Japanese (half of my PS3 library are Jpn games, though most of them have texts in English which are selected by default because my PS3 is in English too). But even if I can read it, for some Kanji I have to read it a bit more carefully sometimes to be sure about what it is, while if it's English I can just look over it, read the first few letters and I would already know what it is, therefore speeding up the gameplay.

But then again, it's an MMORPG, and I will be all day using the same menu, the same stats and just some new weapons and whatnot, so I guess I shouldn't bore....

...as far as they don't do the same shit as with Jpn Home, which locks the keyboard to Japanese and it's a chore to write in English.

Oh and yeah, I'm most likely getting the game for PS3 and play with an attached usb keyboard.

Khrno

Mik2121 said:
I don't mind playing games in Japanese (half of my PS3 library are Jpn games, though most of them have texts in English which are selected by default because my PS3 is in English too). But even if I can read it, for some Kanji I have to read it a bit more carefully sometimes to be sure about what it is, while if it's English I can just look over it, read the first few letters and I would already know what it is, therefore speeding up the gameplay.

But then again, it's an MMORPG, and I will be all day using the same menu, the same stats and just some new weapons and whatnot, so I guess I shouldn't bore....

...as far as they don't do the same shit as with Jpn Home, which locks the keyboard to Japanese and it's a chore to write in English.

Oh and yeah, I'm most likely getting the game for PS3 and play with an attached usb keyboard.

Just for what the UI and game related names is refered, you should be fine after a few hours of gameplay, but this is a Final Fantasy game, you may thing that the text is not really that important and that you might end up chatting 80% of the time in english or something.

But all the quests and missions will be heavily text-based, oh wait, scratch that, NPCs are supposed to talk now and you probably understand a good deal of spoken japanese, so nevermind, you will probably have no problems getting that version.

Jinko

Kintaro said:
Closed betas usually come with NDA, not too many open ones do and those that do are stupid for doing so because no one cares when it's an "open" beta.

Beta tests are no longer the beta tests of old. If they want that, they better just keep it completely closed. With beta tests acting more like previews, especially with companies hardly ever improving on beta build issues, they have gained this stigma about this.

If SE wants an honest to god beta, it should be closed with heavy NDAs. The moment its open...it's pretty much a "preview".

Thats my point, they are in Alpha still, and we won't be getting an open beta until we have had a closed beta.

Open beta are simply stress testing servers and cleaning the last few minor bugs.

May16 said:
What's a "guild leve?"

Was answered on a previous page, but it means to be given leave or permission, in this case to do quests.

Azrael

I hope crafting guildleves means skilling up crafting is cheaper than it was in FFXI. Perhaps the guildleve NPC will give crafters the raw ingredients to make stuff, and the player turns in the crafted item for the quest reward.

Mik2121

Khrno said:
Just for what the UI and game related names is refered, you should be fine after a few hours of gameplay, but this is a Final Fantasy game, you may thing that the text is not really that important and that you might end up chatting 80% of the time in english or something.

But all the quests and missions will be heavily text-based, oh wait, scratch that, NPCs are supposed to talk now and you probably understand a good deal of spoken japanese, so nevermind, you will probably have no problems getting that version.
Yeah spoken is perfectly fine, it's just some of those damn kanjis that look so alike! ;(

But then again, it seems like it will be multi-language so I should not worry not even about that.

Khrno

I just don't think that the versions will have multiple languages, I would even think that the French and German versions will have their own SKUs instead of being on the same disc as the English version here in Europe.

It would be pointless anyway to update the game and have to download all the different audio and text files for the different languages too, specially for the PS3 version where HDD space is more valuable than on the PC.

Lucis

Could the FF11 english version input japanese ?
I don't remember... hmmm
Anyways Japanese version for me!
I learnt Japanese playing FF11, time to make it even better!

Mik2121

Khrno said:
I just don't think that the versions will have multiple languages, I would even think that the French and German versions will have their own SKUs instead of being on the same disc as the English version here in Europe.

It would be pointless anyway to update the game and have to download all the different audio and text files for the different languages too, specially for the PS3 version where HDD space is more valuable than on the PC.
Dunno. But games like PSO had all the languages in all versions of the game (though it was only text, but still..).

Even then, I've just decided I'll go with the Jpn version for PS3, so whatever.. :p I get that just in case I can't input Japanese text in the English version and therefore cannot be able to talk with classmates and whatever.

Jinko

HNM guild leaves are being developed for large groups and are being considered to be implemented in the game at launch. (HNMs confirmed?!?!)

Do you guys realise how import this is ?

Guildleves are instanced, only you and your party members are allowed into a guildleve area (or at least what Tanaka said in a previous interview), which means HNM's will be instanced :) YAY !!

This will solve a lot of problems from FF11 concerning NM's/HNM's.

There won't be any overlap between players killing monsters for guild leves since they are all instanced for the guild leve recipients.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Khrno said:

I think you are wrong!

Lucis

FFXICore's article has 1 mistranslation

田中:現状ではボイスは英語で共通しており、各国語の字幕が入る予定ですね。
"ENGLISH ONLY voice acting thus far, subtitles provided for other regions."

Top Bottom