• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

jiggle

i kinda doubt it would too
since it would be weird if future updates don't have it

and if it does, it'd only increase the size of the download patch
especially if there are a lot of VA

Awntawn

Khrno said:
I just don't think that the versions will have multiple languages, I would even think that the French and German versions will have their own SKUs instead of being on the same disc as the English version here in Europe.

It would be pointless anyway to update the game and have to download all the different audio and text files for the different languages too, specially for the PS3 version where HDD space is more valuable than on the PC.
There's only one set of audio files across all versions, at least according to how they're planning to have it for now.

Jinko

If FF11 is anything to go by, EU, US and JP versions of the games are somewhat seperate from eachother and use different files.

I have both the US and EU version of FF11 and I can't cross install expansions either.

Whether that will change for FF14 is anyone guess though.

Economy will still be trade among players driven with an auction house possibility. Other options are still being considered

I just noticed this and and am a little worried, one thing they needed in FF11 was a better Auction house and mailing system, the word "possibility" doesn't give me much hope.

Teknoman

Awntawn said:
Erm, so SE's going Engrish Onry for the voices >.>

Hope they don't fail at it like every other FF localization >.>

BalthierWants.jpg

Also FFXI intro and FFT: War of the Lions.

Khrno

Kagari said:
I think you are wrong!

Kirashi said:
FFXICore's article has 1 mistranslation

"ENGLISH ONLY voice acting thus far, subtitles provided for other regions."

Well, it was Core's mistranslation, not me :lol

Anyway, I guess that solves the problem of the multiple audio versions.

*Self note: Remember to turn the NPC voices OFF*

Jinko said:
Do you guys realise how import this is ?

Guildleves are instanced, only you and your party members are allowed into a guildleve area (or at least what Tanaka said in a previous interview), which means HNM's will be instanced :) YAY !!

That doesn't mean that there won't be any Nindhogg, King Behemot, Tiamat, Cerberus or Dark Ixion roaming Eorzea's lands every 21 hours to 8 days.

It just means that there will be some Chlevniks, Kaiser Behemoths, Sarameyas and Ouryus inside instances.

Jinko said:
I just noticed this and and am a little worried, one thing they needed in FF11 was a better Auction house and mailing system, the word "possibility" doesn't give me much hope.

I see the word possibility there in the context that players can use the AH or they can use their Bazaars (which there'll most likely be) or they can just NPC their crap. All those are possibilities.

Besides, for what the AH was when it was released, it's one of the best things they actually made for FFXI, I guess they never bothered improving it or just they couldn't, due to "PS2 limitations".

Jinko

Khrno said:
That doesn't mean that there won't be any Nindhogg, King Behemot, Tiamat, Cerberus or Dark Ixion roaming Eorzea's lands every 21 hours to 8 days.

It just means that there will be some Chlevniks, Kaiser Behemoths, Sarameyas and Ouryus inside instances.

I never suggested otherwise, even WoW has free roaming world bosses, although WotLK has yet to get one :(

or just they couldn't, due to "PS2 limitations".

Yes, they did like to flog that dead horse a lot :), I think it was more a case of their servers weren't robust enough.

Khrno

Jinko said:
I never suggested otherwise, even WoW has free roaming world bosses, although WotLK has yet to get one :(

Yes, they did like to flog that dead horse a lot :)

Oh I see, I misunderstood you then, my bad.

We just need to have the same, if not similar rewards from instanced and timed HNMs. Having the exact same drops from both would kinda defeat the purpose of the timed ones tho, however if we get something like Zilart (kings/sky) vs ToA (Salvage) drops on both type of HNMs, then it could work, of course without having any game breaking item like a Ridill without a respective counterpart elsewhere.

eggandI

Banned
Teknoman said:
•Variation among armor progress more drastically than FFXI!

I'm glad they make note of this cause this was a serious problem in XI. If you were a warrior you looked the same as all the warriors your level, etc.

Jinko

eggandI said:
I'm glad they make note of this cause this was a serious problem in XI. If you were a warrior you looked the same as all the warriors your level, etc.

Most MMO's suffer from this, the only way to stop it is to have a secondary armor system for aesthetic's, even games like WoW that have 100's of thousands of armor variations end up with people striving for the same gear come end game.

Ravidrath

I'm guessing there will be more models and stuff for armor, but that the way the Armory System works will make people vary their gear up more.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
I'm guessing there will be more models and stuff for armor, but that the way the Armory System works will make people vary their gear up more.

Im just glad there will be specialized gear and general gear, as well as lots of variations, of course with Yoshida art design, i'm sure everything will look great.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Im just glad there will be specialized gear and general gear, as well as lots of variations, of course with Yoshida art design, i'm sure everything will look great.

So given the changes to the class/job system... do you think there will be Artifact armor, or the rough equivalent?

I'm kind of thinking there... won't be?

carlo6529

Ravidrath said:
So given the changes to the class/job system... do you think there will be Artifact armor, or the rough equivalent?

I hope there is. BST AF ftw!

Jinko

carlo6529 said:
I hope there is. BST AF ftw!

There will have to be a BST/pet class before that happens :p

I'm sure there will be some form of class specific gear though, I'm more inetersted in what classes can wear what type of gear.

For example if your main class is Gladiator and you switch to a mage class what happens to the gear you were wearing ?

Will mage classes be allowed to wear plate at the expense of less magic power and mp, this would open up the possibility of mages being able to solo.

Perhaps the majority of vit and def rating is though the shield skill tree, so maybe armors only purpose will be for minor stats increases and bonus effects.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

Could be an equivalent for pro *insert weapon here* users. Or at least armor that gives extreme boosts to those skill sets.

Khrno

Jinko said:
I'm sure there will be some form of class specific gear though, I'm more inetersted in what classes can wear what type of gear.

For example if your main class is Gladiator and you switch to a mage class what happens to the gear you were wearing ?

Will mage classes be allowed to wear plate at the expense of less magic power and mp, this would open up the possibility of mages being able to solo.

It would be interesting if all the classes can just wear about everything and depending what you are wearing are the stats that you will improve as you mentioned.

Still I would hope that there is some sort of automated inventory system attached to every weapon, so say if I equip a bow I will swap all my gear around for what I have set for Archer equipment, then if I change to sword/shield everything changes to my tanking gear and then swapping to a staff gives you all your mage stuff. Either that, or a good (enough lines) macro palette.

Aion has a system that let's you recolour about any weapon and armor, you can always change the appearence of any item at the cost of some other one, so for example: You could make an Adaman Hauberk look like an Ares body by giving both to the NPC, the end result would be an Ares body looking armor with Adaberk stats, the original Ares is gone tho.

Jinko said:

I thought it worked just fine, when there weren't any gil-farmers messing up the economy.

Epcott

Oh I hope I hope I hope there isn't a monthly fee. But I don't see that as financially sound for Square, plus, XI wasn't free.

With that said, I hope you don't need a playonline account or some separate login much like MGO, that would suck. You should be able to use your PSN log in, go into Playstation Store and purchase your monthly subscription month by month or for a full year (much like Qore).

The more streamlined, the better

Achtius

Epcott said:
Oh I hope I hope I hope there isn't a monthly fee. But I don't see that as financially sound for Square, plus, XI wasn't free.

With that said, I hope you don't need a playonline account or some separate login much like MGO, that would suck. You should be able to use your PSN log in, go into Playstation Store and purchase your monthly subscription month by month or for a full year (much like Qore).

The more streamlined, the better

I thought they annoucned that they WILL be monthly fee and no PlayOnline crap.

I do hope they will have something like War of Emperium from RO (Capturing/Defending castle).

NeoForte

They already said it's subcription based and won't use POL (using SE ID and the token).

All said I like the new additions to FFXIV. Dunno how good fulltiming Fishing would really be but can't wait to try~ (Also bring back Pup damn it!)

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
I thought it worked just fine, when there weren't any gil-farmers messing up the economy.

I was more refering to the resriction of 7 stacks/items on the auction house and .. was it 10 stacks/items in the mail system.

Not being able to send mail because someone hasn't taken it out at their end is extremely frustration, especially if you are trying to send stuff to your mules.

Edit:-

The lastest interview suggested that you will sign up using the PS3 browser much like you do with WoW on the PC.

Perhaps this is another reason why the 360 isn't seeing a version as it doesn't have a browser.

Jinko

Achtius said:

Can't you sign up on a pc and play on console? D:

I am confused

Yea you can do that, but they obviously have to make it so that people with only a PS3 can still sign up to play the game.

This is what Playonline was used for as the PS2 didn't have an internet browser.

Darkpen

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how many people here who's played FFXI to some degree still remember their PlayOnline ID, and if you do remember it, can you also read out your SSI by memory or not.

carlo6529

Jinko said:
There will have to be a BST/pet class before that happens :p

Perhaps the majority of vit and def rating is though the shield skill tree, so maybe armors only purpose will be for minor stats increases and bonus effects.

I'm sure there will be some form of pet control job. I myself would still like to play as a bst even though most likely all classes will be able to solo.

As for the whole armor thing, I am not sure if any of the below has been confirmed or not but the way I picture it is like this, it increases stats and bonus effects(like you said). I also think that there will be armor/weapon specific abilties.

I do not know if you have heard or played Ragnarok Online, but they had a card system where armor had a certain amount of slots in which you could place a single card permanently which would either give you an extra ability (for example Heal lvl 1, provoke lvl 2 etc.) and/or increase your stats. Excecpt that in FFXIV, these abilities will already be grafted on the equipment.

I guess I just assumed that in FFXIV, I could for example at base be a level 46 beastmaster, with all the job specific abilities I should have at that point(like Charm and Release etc..) and equip myself with a dark knight scyte, Dragoon boots, healer glovies, and a bards beret for other class abilities.

DrDogg

Darkpen said:
Just out of curiosity, how many people here who's played FFXI to some degree still remember their PlayOnline ID, and if you do remember it, can you also read out your SSI by memory or not.

I don't know mine by memory, but I have it saved so that if I ever need it I can pull it up quickly.

carlo6529 said:
I'm sure there will be some form of pet control job. I myself would still like to play as a bst even though most likely all classes will be able to solo.

As for the whole armor thing, I am not sure if any of the below has been confirmed or not but the way I picture it is like this, it increases stats and bonus effects(like you said). I also think that there will be armor/weapon specific abilties.

I do not know if you have heard or played Ragnarok Online, but they had a card system where armor had a certain amount of slots in which you could place a single card permanently which would either give you an extra ability (for example Heal lvl 1, provoke lvl 2 etc.) and/or increase your stats. Excecpt that in FFXIV, these abilities will already be grafted on the equipment.

I guess I just assumed that in FFXIV, I could for example at base be a level 46 beastmaster, with all the job specific abilities I should have at that point(like Charm and Release etc..) and equip myself with a dark knight scyte, Dragoon boots, healer glovies, and a bards beret for other class abilities.

SE stated there would be no SMN at the start, and I want to say they said no pet jobs at first, but I don't recall at the moment. I posted the link and commented on the SMN bit a few pages back, just too lazy to go find it. :D

As for using different equipment. SE already stated that your armor will be tied to your weapon. I can only assume this means Gladiator's (sword/shield) will only be able to wear PLD-like gear. While Illusionists will only be able to wear WHM-like gear.

That said, we know the classes will be very customizable and grow with your character. Given the fact that this is supposed to be an advancement over the FFXI job system, and you could easily go BST/WHM there, I see no reason why you won't have the ability to use some Illusionist spells along your growth path for BST. Just not sure how it's going to work at this point.

Teknoman

GuildleveTranslate.jpg

Well now we know what starting area the Gamescon demo took place in, and that hi-potions will most likely be as common as a normal FF.

Teknoman said:
GuildleveTranslate.jpg

Well now we know what starting area the Gamescon demo took place in, and that hi-potions will most likely be as common as a normal FF.

Ha, that means I was probably right about the city in the background ^^

jsrv

Did they mention whether the servers will be shared globally with something like an auto-translate for communication or if each region will have their own servers?

jsrv said:
Did they mention whether the servers will be shared globally with something like an auto-translate for communication or if each region will have their own servers?

Shared servers, I don't doubt that the auto-translate function will be back, if not expanded upon.

Teknoman said:
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wp-content/uploads/Fusionx/2009/08/GuildleveTranslate.jpg

lets hope they dont take to much room up :/ or are as useless as they was in ff11

Khrno

Jinko said:
was it 10 stacks/items in the mail system.

Not being able to send mail because someone hasn't taken it out at their end is extremely frustration, especially if you are trying to send stuff to your mules.

Delivery box had 8 spaces to send stuff, sending gil would take up 1 slot too.

The only think I actually liked about this was your MH Inbox, although it had only 8 spaces too, you could send yourself any amount of items you wanted. I'm not sure what was the limit, but it was over 100.

Of course it was a pain to cycle through all these items stored in the 'limbo', especially with the wait before being able to check the box again. Eitherway, it did help me a lot on storing random things that I didn't want to mule but to keep on my main such as tools, synth materials, food, low level items, etc.

jump_button said:
lets hope they dont take to much room up :/ or are as useless as they was in ff11

Hi-Potions always become useless in all games as soon as you double the amount that it can be healed with your HP, everything is about the Elixirs and the Medicated status :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Teknoman said:
GuildleveTranslate.jpg

Leve Requirements...

And I thought there was no levels?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
rhfb said:
So glad they are doing away with POL. One of the worst ideas ever to come out of SE :lol
Im glad thats gone since my main account got banned :lol

Hopefully banned player info doesn't get transferred to 14

Ether_Snake said:
Leve Requirements...

And I thought there was no levels?

Not level, Leve. That card is from the Guild Leve system, a Leve is basically a mission. And requirements could mean anything - such as Requirement: a party of at least 3 people. And there will most likely be some skill measure they can use to tell how skilled-up you are - someone having only played for 5 minutes won't be able to do anything but the most basic Leves, and the person of course will be limited to only those.

The main point of doing away with levels, was grinding for experience to gain levels. So now you don't gain "experience" from "defeating monsters" to "level up" after defeating a certain number of enemies, you now gain skills by using skills.

carlo6529

DrDogg said:
That said, we know the classes will be very customizable and grow with your character. Given the fact that this is supposed to be an advancement over the FFXI job system, and you could easily go BST/WHM there, I see no reason why you won't have the ability to use some Illusionist spells along your growth path for BST. Just not sure how it's going to work at this point.

As of right now then, I do not see any difference with FFXI's job system to FFXIV's other then the fact that they may have eliminated specific job names, subjobs and that you don't need to go into your mog house to change jobs.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
GuildleveTranslate.jpg

2000 gil, sounds like a nice reward to me :) especially for a beginners quest.

Do you guys think this will be the main way to make money in FF14 ?, much like Dailies in Wow.

I wonder what BP cost is.

And there will most likely be some skill measure they can use to tell how skilled-up you are - someone having only played for 5 minutes won't be able to do anything but the most basic Leves, and the person of course will be limited to only those.

Says Skill - 0, I assume that the level of skill required for the quest.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GuildleveTranslate.jpg

I like the looks of this.

Teknoman

Khrno said:
I know that, I just don't dig the casual presentation of the system.

According to the interview, some of these will be really varied, and even have a number of days as the time limit. Thats far from casual. Unless you just mean how it seems like a graphic yes/no box.

Nif

Mik2121 said:
I've never played FFXI... would 2000Gil be much, supposing stuff costs the same in FFXIV?

No, but giving gil directly to people (say, from stores or quests) has to be done very carefully or the in-game economy can go to shit. That looks like a low level quest, anyway.

Top Bottom