• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rentahamster said:
I'm curious to see how the market changes will effect the economy. I don't think it will bring about the economic apocalypse, but we'll see.

I don't see how making the wards easier to use is gonna be a net negative.

Easier to buy, easier to sell. You'll see more gil changing hands.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
pancakesandsex said:
Easier to buy, easier to sell. You'll see more gil changing hands.
Yep. Predictions of inflation or deflation aside, usability and time efficiency go up, and most ppl should be pleased.

Forbiden

Kandinsky said:
Oh but they will, and it'll be a glorious day lol

I thought he already made it a point to say that they won't be doing that? I've said it before and I'll say it again. They end up doing that, and I'll quit, and there'll be many others who will as well.

I went from rank 1 to rank 10 lancer in 12 minutes. first leve with 1 party member and guardians aspect gave 1300 skill per kill.

At rank 10 i'm still doing rank 1 leves and i'm getting 800+ skill per mob still. (legion difficulty with 2 people)

Has it always been this high? cause this is pretty insane.

Forbiden

skitzophrenicdontpanic said:
I went from rank 1 to rank 10 lancer in 12 minutes. first leve with 1 party member and guardians aspect gave 1300 skill per kill.

At rank 10 i'm still doing rank 1 leves and i'm getting 800+ skill per mob still. (legion difficulty with 2 people)

Has it always been this high? cause this is pretty insane.

I do remember some LS friends saying that they were getting exp like that at around those level ranges, but apparently even at higher levels they are giving that much exp?

Desi

one thing I really can not stand is how hard it seems to target enemies. I get in a lot of trouble because i try to switch targets but the cursor is on my tall lanky ass. does /bt work as it does in FFXI?

Nakazato

hows the patch ??

Made a new Avy in Linblum Isamu Nakazato

going to give it one more try with Gaf this time if it doesnt keep my interest ill cancel :(

Teknoman

Didnt get a chance to give party exp outside of leves a shot, but everything else seems smoother, easier to see and more responsive. Plus I think some of the weapon skill effects increased in size?

Havent heard any SP complaints from other forums.

EDIT: Reports from XIVcore -

Misc Info:
Seems optimal PT is 5-6 with SP not boosting after but dipping.

Seems some mob species give more SP, eg:
- Raptors, 250~ SP (yg said these were 60-65, some 55-59)
- Evil Eyes, 400~ SP (yg said these were 55-59, no others)
Same group used to kill both

Blue Gartr reports similar findings for optimal party number.

Btw, i'd wait until after the next patch this month, 1.15b to see what content hits to gauge your interest. Right now, all you'll have to do is party in leves/outside leves/behests, and story/class quests.

Is it just me or did they increase the size of certain weapon skills ( like Red lotus blade) special effect?

Zalasta

Not really sure if the new SP change is intended for crafting as well but getting over 700+ SP and 2800+ XP on a regular synthesis (I was getting ~400 SP and 1400 XP before) is really crazy. I don't mind a boost but that kind of increase is way too much. We'll see if this is going to be patched again or not.

JudgeN

Zalasta said:
Not really sure if the new SP change is intended for crafting as well but getting over 700+ SP and 2800+ XP on a regular synthesis (I was getting ~400 SP and 1400 XP before) is really crazy. I don't mind a boost but that kind of increase is way too much. We'll see if this is going to be patched again or not.

Its not going to get patched out and its fantastic what they did with SP. 43 Archer doing Sphene Dodylns getting 225 a kill, our party of 40-46 doing raptor was getting 250-280 kill bring out SP per hour to 20k. Doing 1 night of level runs I again 100k SP (some with favor some without) instead of my normal 35k-40kish.

This SP fix is fanfuckingtastic, now if we can get some content in here we might have ourselves a fun game.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
JudgeN said:
Its not going to get patched out and its fantastic what they did with SP. 43 Archer doing Sphene Dodylns getting 225 a kill, our party of 40-46 doing raptor was getting 250-280 kill bring out SP per hour to 20k. Doing 1 night of level runs I again 100k SP (some with favor some without) instead of my normal 35k-40kish.

This SP fix is fanfuckingtastic, now if we can get some content in here we might have ourselves a fun game.

He was talking about crafting and i agree that synths give way too much sp now. Some are getting 800+sp a synth and thats way too much. I guess this means i can get all crafts to 50 a lot easier now though. o.o lol 3 are almost there i suppose

JudgeN

Emenis said:
He was talking about crafting and i agree that synths give way too much sp now. Some are getting 800+sp a synth and thats way too much. I guess this means i can get all crafts to 50 a lot easier now though. o.o lol 3 are almost there i suppose

O right crafting to hype about the higher SP gains to read. Either way crafting was the most boring aspect of the game IMO. There was nothing fun about that stupid mini game they created so the faster you can get that shit out of the way the better.

Jinko

Hmm sounds promising, guna jump on when the patch is done, can anyone throw me a pearl btw ?

:O

Iron coblyns give me 265 sp at rank 22, Nanawa leve mobs give 685 sp @ 1 star.

Looking good Yoshi-p :D

DrDogg

I patched last night, but just wasn't motivated to play. I'll be on today to test out partying and see if there's adequate challenge to playing CON in parties now.

Jinko

They have ogre's near horizon now :O

Finally they have sorted the second chat window so you don't get duplicate NPC chat.

Can have a seperate window for Party and linkshell chat now and not worry about it getting spammed everytime i speak to an NPC.

Desi

how long should I be expected to stay around Gridania? These NPC's are just annoying with all this greenwrath bullshit and quests ending all abruptly. Still my character hasn't been cleansed yet and I am just wandering around doing things and killing stuff until the linkshell lights up.

AFKevin

Neo Member
Does anyone have a buddy pass i can use? I want to try it out some as WoW has gotten slightly stale for me. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction on the right place to ask, in case this isn't the best place, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Jinko

Forbiden said:
How close to Horizon? I remember seeing the around that area before.

There was one right outside the camp, perhaps someone kited it there i duno.

how long should I be expected to stay around Gridania? These NPC's are just annoying with all this greenwrath bullshit and quests ending all abruptly. Still my character hasn't been cleansed yet and I am just wandering around doing things and killing stuff until the linkshell lights up.

I wouldn't take that greenwrath stuff seriously, nothing will happen to you if you leave Grid.

Does anyone have a buddy pass i can use? I want to try it out some as WoW has gotten slightly stale for me. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction on the right place to ask, in case this isn't the best place, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Check your PM.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
I patched last night, but just wasn't motivated to play. I'll be on today to test out partying and see if there's adequate challenge to playing CON in parties now.

The only way I could see getting an adequate challenge is a 5-6 person party taking on Yellow or Red ranked monsters....which I really want to try today.

EDIT: Still looking around to see confirmations that weapon skills display larger special effects.

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
The only way I could see getting an adequate challenge is a 5-6 person party taking on Yellow or Red ranked monsters....which I really want to try today.

Yeah, FFXI style. When are you getting on? I want to get on now, but I think work is going to chime in here soon and steal me away again.

If party play becomes like FFXI (similar size parties fighting much stronger enemies) then I'm down. NOTHING beats FFXI EXP parties for me in terms of fun factor in an MMO.

Jinko

Agree, if party mechanics worked exactly like FF11 It would be great.

I wish buffs worked more like cast on party instead of AoE (or at least have a much much larger area of effect)

EXACTLY the same isn't necessary. There are plenty of mechanics in FFXI that could use improving that I think FFXIV already addresses pretty well. The challenge just isn't there. The countless moments where your party is fighting along at camp pretty normally and then you aggro an extra mob or two and it's just nonstop, pure adrenaline-pumping insanity are still unrivaled in any game, I think. XIV needs that kind of philosophy, as of now the combat is still pretty boring.

Jinko

It's not really about difficulty though as you can go out and fight more challenging stuff in FF14 its just not worth it because previously the SP rewards haven't paid off.

For me though its more that class roles are pretty washed out, very rarely do you feel as if your class is needed and the clusterfuck (whack a mole) party mechanics and death cycles just get monotonous as hell.

AFKevin

Neo Member
Thanks again to Jinko for the buddy pass, but unfortauntely it wasn't one for the US. If anybody does have a US buddy pass though, please let me know. Thank you.

Nakazato

AFKevin said:
Thanks again to Jinko for the buddy pass, but unfortauntely it wasn't one for the US. If anybody does have a US buddy pass though, please let me know. Thank you.
ill see if i can find mine for you in when i wake up

Teknoman

We did a normal sized sp party today, and were getting about 200 SP per antlion in Copperbell mines...but we were killing them in like 10 seconds and they only ranked blue to our party (rank 22-26). So all in all, it felt a little closer to XI's sense of partying than ever before, complete with that one guy that keeps dying :p

Also it seems entirely possible to get good SP by cutting your way through and exploring a dungeon, so thats something I like. Always fun to actually have a change to explore dungeon areas with the ability to defend yourself and be rewarded for it. Now Yoshi just needs to add roaming NMs in the various dungeons, maybe some random chest spawns. Really it works better for me since it gives you a chance to check out new places, and you arent just stationary waiting for pulls most of the time. Granted you still have to camp and pull at times, but thats just when the local population is dense.

Tomorrow we're going to check out lots of different areas since SP is finally at a point where it feels right. Optimal party size seems to be 4-6 and different monsters seem to give different amounts of SP, so both type and rank seem to factor in...sort of like a normal Final Fantasy game. Still looking forward to the adjustments added to classes to further uniqueness between classes. Battle Regiments work nicely and when everyone knows what to do/how to do it, its nice to see in action. During those battles, I think i've used more abilities than I ever have. Also I had to provoke in multiple directions.

Population on Lindblum has picked up since the patch, or at least it seems that more people are giving things a shot again. There was a ton of people running around and even a few say/shout conversations. Yoshi just needs to get some good battle adjustments and content in asap. More letters detailing whats currently going on as well.

Oh and every battlecraft leve should end with large monster mini-boss battle. That dreamtoad just looked creepy/cool :D Its just the way it sort of stares at you with a slightly tilted head. Even has that extra skin that toads have when they "blink".

Screenshots:

e0semh.jpg

nn6qs0.jpg

28su8h4.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
I think the convention is 2 large pics per post. If you have more than 2 large pics you can:
* Post multiple times, each time with 2 big pics
* Post two large pics and then thumbnails to your other pics, all in a single post

At least, these are the rules that Evilore set out in the big screenshot threads on the Gaming forum. No clue if they apply in this thread =\

Jinko

I love the look of those toads :D

What rank would you guys be looking at to party I'm still only rank 23 conujerer or Lancer so probably too low.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Did a quick mob grind in a 4 person party - ~40-60 second kills @ 250-330 SP per kill.

Your best bet is to find a place with no one else in it so there's no lag to fuck up your Battle Regimens.

I was doing 1000-1500 dmg using FerocityII+Raging Strike+Blindside+Doomspike II as the third chain in a battle regimen. What fun seeing a mob's HP drop to 0 in a matter of seconds.

Jinko said:
I love the look of those toads :D

What rank would you guys be looking at to party I'm still only rank 23 conujerer or Lancer so probably too low.
That's fine, there are still folks in that range.

DrDogg

Partying yesterday was definitely the most fun I've had in this game. The leve party was good SP, but I was too low rank so I didn't have much to do other than unintentionally piss people off... which I do well.

But once we got into a grind party, and I was essentially the only healer (the other CON died every 10 minutes), it was much faster paced and I actually had more to do than just heal. I don't think we've found the ideal mob/location/SP per hour yet, but it feels like things are moving in the right direction.

I would still like to see some significant class changes. Right now I feel like there's no difference between playing CON and THM other than the AoE. I'm using the exact same spells on both and playing both almost identical if I'm main healing. If I'm not main healing, one becomes a BLM and the other becomes a RDM/BLM. Still almost identical.

I also feel that enfeebles need to last longer. If the recast on Dia is going to be 30 seconds or whatever it is, it needs to last a majority of the fight. The ants we were battling would only stay alive for maybe 30 seconds, but my enfeebles would fade after maybe 5-10 seconds. This is even worse for spells like Absorb-DEF which has something like a 60 second recast (although it might be lower on THM it's still not good). I almost feel like it's a waste of MP using them...

I still prefer camping in FFXI, but I'm okay with the roaming parties in FFXIV so long as there are steady mobs. If another party had been in our camp last night I don't think the mobs would've been as steady, which is a big problem.

Make the classes feel more unique, make the spells more effective, and adjust the mob location and respawn so camps can hold more parties and I think FFXIV will be close to FFXI.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey Cmagus, when you reach around rank 15-ish I can help you rank up. My lowest rank battle class, Gladiator, is still only rank 15.

@Dogg the reason those enfeebles sucked is because those are THM spells. When you use other jobs' skills, they sucks, enfeebles are especially noticeable.

Just stick to the CON enfeebles and the corresponding CON nukes that are the opposite of the target mob's elemental affinity.

Desi

I am truly in love with my PUG. Sadly my knuckles are worn down. Rank 10 so it may even be time for a upgrade in weaponry in the first place.

Mudo

I've not played FFXIV yet only because I kept up with this thread since release and have been scared to even try it. With the newest patch do you think it's worth my time/money to buy this and play it or should I hold off even longer? No MMO right now and sorta missing having 1 around lol.

Mudo said:
I've not played FFXIV yet only because I kept up with this thread since release and have been scared to even try it. With the newest patch do you think it's worth my time/money to buy this and play it or should I hold off even longer? No MMO right now and sorta missing having 1 around lol.

Hold off. It's not "there" yet.

Jinko

Mudo said:

TBH I would hold off until PS3 launch, SE prob won't release the game on PS3 until its in a decent state and you will have a lot of news players to level up with.

Saying that if you don't mind the rough edges then its kind of like 6 months beta left :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom