• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

Rentahamster said:
Hey Cmagus, when you reach around rank 15-ish I can help you rank up. My lowest rank battle class, Gladiator, is still only rank 15.

@Dogg the reason those enfeebles sucked is because those are THM spells. When you use other jobs' skills, they sucks, enfeebles are especially noticeable.

Just stick to the CON enfeebles and the corresponding CON nukes that are the opposite of the target mob's elemental affinity.

Shock, Rasp, etc. were the same. They may have lasted a little bit loner, but it wasn't enough to be noticeable. At the rate at which we were killing mobs, the enfeebles should've stuck the entire length of the fight.

My enfeebling cycle was usually some mixture of Dia, Absorb-DEF, Shock/Rasp/etc (depending on mob).

Jinko

Buffs are just as bad they don't last long enough and as I have said before the AoE is way too small.

In most MMO's buffs and enfeebles are instant cast for a reason.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
Tek put some colors in your armors mang.

Snagged "blue" Bronze Cuirass set stuff, but the only part thats blue is the cloth in between the armor parts.

Got a Visored Barbut last night, which seems better defensively overall than a Bronze Celata. Celata has higher def and adds + str, but Visored Barbut has like 5 def less, but more magical def, higher evasion, resistance, and adds + vit.

So either way I guess the barbut is better for gladiators (looks like it fits the idea of the class) than celata? Or should I go for best physical def no matter what?

Forbiden

Teknoman said:
Got a Visored Barbut last night, which seems better defensively overall than a Bronze Celata. Celata has higher def and adds + str, but Visored Barbut has like 5 def less, but more magical def, higher evasion, resistance, and adds + vit.

So either way I guess the barbut is better for gladiators (looks like it fits the idea of the class) than celata? Or should I go for best physical def no matter what?

Doesn't the Celata add HP+? I've been away from the game for a while, but given the way I distributed my points, and the fact that they gimped the amount of HP you got from VIT, on top of the fact that(I believe) armor VIT does not add to your HP, I always opted for Bronze Celata over anything else. In fact, I used 3/5 pieces from the Bronze Cuirass because of the fact that they had better Defense + and HP+ than other pieces.

This is, however, coming form someone who soloed his way to 35, so I have no idea what the "proper" gear/stats would be in a party scenario. But for soloing Doblyns, I just went with added HP and added defense on gear.

Snagged "blue" Bronze Cuirass set stuff, but the only part thats blue is the cloth in between the armor parts.

I always hated the fact that the Bronze Cuirass set only displays color in the cloth, yet the Iron set is actually colored. I know it has to do with the way each set of gear is made(bronze requires the cloth used in the synthesis to be colored while iron requires an ingredient that gives color to the metal part), but they should have at least given the option to color the Bronze set just like you can color the Iron set.

TheFatOne

Did my first Behest today and it was awesome. Went from R19-R23(Gladiator) today thanks to Rentas party. I'm having much more fun playing this game now that I have upgraded my gpu. Game is a lot smoother now.

Teknoman

Still dead tired from yesterday -_- so i'll probably be around later if anyone wants to do some SP party experimenting around eorzea (dungeons, fields, etc.) later on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Still dead tired from yesterday -_- so i'll probably be around later if anyone wants to do some SP party experimenting around eorzea (dungeons, fields, etc.) later on.
Did experimenting with thefatone earlier. Game rewards you handsomely for killing high level mobs quickly. Happy joy.

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
Cant you pretty much paint/dye any piece of gear in the name?

Sadly not, only certain items can be dyed and the end result is normally underwhelming, ideally you should beable to apply the dye after the item is made instead of using it as part of the recipe.

None of these are used in any decent recipes currently (except green and brown), which is kind of sad.

Pietepiet

So, after my sudden disappearance and quite a long break from the game, I've been thinking about checking it out again. Has the game improved much since September/October?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pietepiet said:
So, after my sudden disappearance and quite a long break from the game, I've been thinking about checking it out again. Has the game improved much since September/October?

Yes, it went from total shit to just slightly nutty shit now. YMMV.

Just check it out again since you already got it. Still free.

Salaadin

Pietepiet said:

I popped on today for the first time in a long time myself and didnt hate myself for it afterwards. Thats an improvement! :p

A lot of little things have changed that end up making the game feel much more playable. If this is a sign of things to come then we have a lot of good to look forward to. Im staying optimistic.

Forbiden

Alur

So, I have developed the Cataclysm blues. Does anyone have a buddy pass available for FFXIV so I can check it out? Never played XI so not sure what exactly I'm gonna be getting into here.

Jinko

Yea I stumbled across a glitch a while back where a Lancer could equip Pierce which was Fencing Class, so we can expect that one most likely.

Of course if they plan to change the class names to more traditional FF names I duno if they will keep them.

Terproerg

if anyone has a buddy pass or anything, i would like to try this game out again. i last played it during beta! I see its improved.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Oh wait a fucking second... I had heard that SE royally fucked this game up but now I'm flabbergasted! They did not add a Thief class? No back-stab, no SATA?!?!?!?!

They'd better fix this fast.

Teknoman

UltimaKilo said:
Oh wait a fucking second... I had heard that SE royally fucked this game up but now I'm flabbergasted! They did not add a Thief class? No back-stab, no SATA?!?!?!?!

They'd better fix this fast.

Its coming. Pugilist is the thief class, and directional attacks are in game, but dunno why steal and those other attacks mentioned at the site I posted arent implemented. Unless those have to do with making classes unique and they are trying to fine tune them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, they really need to add more skills to the game that introduce an element of strategy in regards to positioning, skill selection, etc. That would make things much more interesting.

SATA was a good way of allowing skilled players to have much more battle effectiveness.

Am I making some stupid mistake, or is this a bug? Sometimes I try to summon my retainer either in the market wards or one of the retainer bells, and it tells me something like "You do not have a retainer." However, I still quite do, and can do my business by walking to its physical location in the market wards. I've had this issue appear and disappear a few times without knowing why.

Forbiden

JoshuaJSlone said:
Am I making some stupid mistake, or is this a bug? Sometimes I try to summon my retainer either in the market wards or one of the retainer bells, and it tells me something like "You do not have a retainer." However, I still quite do, and can do my business by walking to its physical location in the market wards. I've had this issue appear and disappear a few times without knowing why.

As far as I know, if your retainer is in the Market Wards, you can't summon it with the bells, you have to go to it in order to exchange stuff with it.

Rawk Hawk

Well I'm confused. Created Rawk Hawk over the weekend, thought well I'm not too sure exactly what to do so I'll to kill some weak enemies outside the town until I find a good website for information about the game.

The first enemies can fairly easily kill me, my only attack (Stone Throw?) does maybe 1% of their HP while they can hit me for like 10-15% of mine.

Since I always here this game is a grind (which FFXI basically was for me for the first year I played) I figured I would just get straight into the grinding, but evidently I need to do something else first? Find a different weapon?

If your only attack is Stone Throw, you must have started as one of the non-battle classes, in which case trying to battle is probably not the best thing to start with. Even 20 physical levels later, trying to take out a rat with Stone Throw doesn't tend to end well for me.

If you're free enough to walk outside of town, levequests should be available to you I'd think. Should be at the Adventurer's Guild of whichever city you're in. Pick low level ones based on whatever class you currently are, and there's a fair chance they'll have starting weapons/tools for other classes as a reward. You can then repeat the process with those, and before long you should have a small variety of battle and non-battle classes to pick from.

Rawk Hawk

Quests.. oh.. so then this is completely different than FFXI in that stand point, not sure I completed very many quests outside of the ones required for missions or exspensive items, lol.

Alright while I'm at work today I'll look into the quests, thanks for the help.

Actually, would it be a smarter idea to recreate my character as a battle class and then take up a craft later? If so, hopefully I can reuse my name if I delete the character?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Rawk Hawk said:
Actually, would it be a smarter idea to recreate my character as a battle class and then take up a craft later? If so, hopefully I can reuse my name if I delete the character?

Yes, if you dont know anything about the game, do that.

And yes, you can reuse your name.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rawk Hawk said:
Quests.. oh.. so then this is completely different than FFXI in that stand point, not sure I completed very many quests outside of the ones required for missions or exspensive items, lol.

Alright while I'm at work today I'll look into the quests, thanks for the help.

You don't need to start over to play a battle class. o_O Just buy the weapon of the class you want to be and equip it.

It's just easier to restart the character with a new battle class, starting with all the basic gear for that class, than to try to earn money to buy all the necessary weapons and armor from scratch. And then later you only need to buy your two cheap crafting tools for crafting.

Rawk Hawk

Dreamwriter said:
It's just easier to restart the character with a new battle class, starting with all the basic gear for that class, than to try to earn money to buy all the necessary weapons and armor from scratch. And then later you only need to buy your two cheap crafting tools for crafting.
This was kind of my feeling as well, think I might just recreate the character, only completed the boat ride to my town so it's not like I'm too far.

Thanks for the tips guys.

ADD: Recreated, not sure who I need to contact for a pearl though.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rawk Hawk said:
This was kind of my feeling as well, think I might just recreate the character, only completed the boat ride to my town so it's not like I'm too far.

Thanks for the tips guys.

ADD: Recreated, not sure who I need to contact for a pearl though.

Me actually lol.

Lindblum right? Send me (Dega Emenis) a tell when you're on.

Teknoman

Hey Rawk, make sure to check your local aetheryte (Home point) and read the "Call to adventure" section.

Also i'll be able to help you out since my Marauder is still sorta low. Of course I could just pick up another job too.

Rawk Hawk

Teknoman said:
Hey Rawk, make sure to check your local aetheryte (Home point) and read the "Call to adventure" section.

Also i'll be able to help you out since my Marauder is still sorta low. Of course I could just pick up another job too.
I'll message you on Steam later when I get home, but I plan on changing classes in a few days when a friend picks up the game, so maybe we can trio a little for fun.

Teknoman

Rawk Hawk said:
I'll message you on Steam later when I get home, but I plan on changing classes in a few days when a friend picks up the game, so maybe we can trio a little for fun.

Yeah i'll probably add Lancer to my arsenal. Dont want to focus on too many jobs...so for now, 3 will do. Until they get something with a great sword :p

Rawk Hawk

Teknoman said:
Yeah i'll probably add Lancer to my arsenal. Dont want to focus on too many jobs...so for now, 3 will do. Until they get something with a great sword :p
Well LittleTokyo is playing Conjurer, I have Marauder and Gladiator all three of the jobs are roughly around lv7 right now. Thinking I'll play Gladiator first, but just been bouncing back and forth between them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As a gladiator, it would be wise to get Pugilist to 20 for Prime Conditioning, and Marauder to 20 for Intimidation. Archer and Lancer to around 6-10ish for raging strike and ferocity.

Plus, do as many local leves as you can when you have time for the crazy amounts of physical EXP.

Rawk Hawk

Rentahamster said:
As a gladiator, it would be wise to get Pugilist to 20 for Prime Conditioning, and Marauder to 20 for Intimidation. Archer and Lancer to around 6-10ish for raging strike and ferocity.

Plus, do as many local leves as you can when you have time for the crazy amounts of physical EXP.
Interesting, thanks, truthfully I planned on leveling all the melee characters a little to 'try them out' so I'll make sure to get those levels for the skills. I learned yesterday I could use my marauder skills as gladiator which was nice.

Although I've heard you have a van and I should avoid said van... so I'll level them only in extra caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom