• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthing anything nontrivial is really annoying. It will have levels of items requiring even simpler items, so unless you are a master of all trades with hundreds of base items at hand, you have to try buying off someone else. And without a massive userbase and so few items able to be sold at once from a retainer, you can usually count on some of them not being available, making the pyramid of requirements impossible to complete. Even if someone has an item that others are looking for, how are they to know? Without some selling history at the markets, it's impossible to tell whether seeing 0 of something available is just from chance, because it's an item nobody cares about, or because it always sells out immediately.

Rawk Hawk

Rentahamster said:
As a gladiator, it would be wise to get Pugilist to 20 for Prime Conditioning, and Marauder to 20 for Intimidation. Archer and Lancer to around 6-10ish for raging strike and ferocity.

Plus, do as many local leves as you can when you have time for the crazy amounts of physical EXP.
What about magic classes? If I level up conj a bit, can I make a paladin like character? Or will be the curative magic be so poor it wouldn't be worth it?

The link to the 2nd player poll is also in the letter.

Also,
NEW– Auto-attack system –NEW– Examination of an auto-attack feature –NEW– Examination of risks of and scale of changes for an auto-attack system

God I hope they add this. If it means less reliance on (or the removal of) the stamina system then this can only be a good thing.

Teknoman

Im more interested in the refining and the addition of:

–NEW– New Content –NEW– Instanced PvE Content (Dungeons/Raids) — –NEW– Examination of dungeon content for full parties (8) of high-rank members
 Ongoing examination together with battle system adjustments (8-member content)
— –NEW– Examination of dungeon content for small parties (4) of mid- to high-rank members
 Ongoing examination together with battle system adjustments (4-member content)

Party system changes –NEW– Examination of maximum single party size
 Changes aimed at improving battle balance –NEW– Reduction of "full" party size from 15 to 8 members
–NEW– Release of "small" parties made up of 4 members
–NEW– Redesign of UI elements in line with new party system –NEW– Examination of a buffing system and party display for small and full parties
Revisions to party-based skill point acquisition in parties
–NEW– Battle adjustments for new party system Improvements to skill point acquisition for parties (complete as of 1.15a)
–NEW– Adjustments to degrees of difficulty and bonuses for behests for full parties (8 members) –NEW– Adjustments to period of time between behest resets

–NEW– Storylines and world quests –NEW– Development and release of supplemental storylines and world quests –NEW– Introduction of additional quests

–NEW– Storylines and world quests –NEW– Development and release of supplemental storylines and world quests –NEW– Introduction of additional quests

–NEW– Quest-related system changes –NEW– Addition of icons to make quest NPCs easily recognizable –NEW– Addition of several icons to distinguish between quest types
–NEW– Addition of quest NPC locations to maps –NEW– Division of map data for various quest types
–NEW– Addition of confirmation windows for accepting/refusing quests –NEW– Opt from among several rewards upon quest completion
–NEW– Ability to abandon accepted quests —

quick and dirty copy/paste but you get the idea. Man i'm glad they want to make behests harder, yet adjust the party sizes. Things were abit too crazy with 15 people no matter what.

Also the second poll has questions that let you pick up to 3 answers :p There is even a box at the bottom with a 400 word response option for the battle system, and a quest about how the attribute points system should/could change.

EDIT: I'm confused...

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV corresponding to the upcoming release of patch 1.15b. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the Lodestone the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
Feb. 17, 2011 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Are they sneaking in the b patch today without previews? Or is this just some sort of maintenance before the big maintenance?

Yoshi-P said:
We are also looking into players using death warps (or blood warps, or whatever other name you wish to give them). We will be making a decision on how to address this following the release of quests. After all, having a bunch of adventurers committing suicide isn't very FINAL FANTASY-esque, now, is it?
Did you play IV? Though admittedly, most of them ended up failing at it.

Jinko

Dungeons and Raids make me very happy, it will give us something to finally do !

Dungeon guildleves/quests with decent rewards would be a step in the right direction.

Addition of icons to make quest NPCs easily recognizable
OMG, WOW clone !

6. In addition to enhancing class differentiation with essential attributes and distinct appearances, we are also looking into introducing class and rank requirements for equipping gear. How do you feel about the implementation of such a system? *

Yes please, Can I have it !

1. Removal of the bonus point system, and the addition of automatic allotment of attribute points based on class
2. Removal of physical levels, and the addition of class-specific allotment of attribute points for each class based on rank.
This guy really gets it :D

I'd really like to see an auto party button (if any of you have played Rift you'll know what I mean) especially for Behest.

Thoraxes

I'm really liking that they want to remove character collision.

It's not too much a hassle as it is just a minor inconvenience, but on slower dorm internet, a lot of people take longer to load in, especially when the range at which you see them is so limited, even while playing the game on max settings.

It's always weird running around in town and bumping into invisible people.

Babalu.

Sounds like a really great step in the right direction!

Can anyone post the 2nd poll, i'm at work without my security token ';,,;'

if not its ok, I can wait :)

Wow, that sounds like a lot of beneficial changes and plans for the game. Can't wait to see what happens with it and give the game another go.

I dug the Letter From the Producer III. Naoki Yoshida sounds like a cool guy.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

It took them 6 months but finally things are really, actually looking up! The first real, actual meaningful content patch is finally here!

Teknoman

Babalu. said:
Sounds like a really great step in the right direction!

Can anyone post the 2nd poll, i'm at work without my security token ';,,;'

if not its ok, I can wait :)

Here:

We would first like to thank all of you for your cooperation with our first poll. Your feedback and opinions have proved to be invaluable in guiding the development of FINAL FANTASY XIV, and it is in that vein that we bring to you Players' Poll the Second, which focuses on the game's battle system.
The deadline for submissions is Thursday, February 24, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. (One minute after 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday!)

Direction of the Battle System
While continuing to usher in changes to the battle system, in addition to making party-based combat as enjoyable as possible, we will also be striving to ensure that solo-play remains a viable option (ranking up, etc.). To that end, we plan to enhance the individual characteristics of each class, and assign each of them a unique role to further enhance their distinctness.

* Required
Battle

1. What do you feel are currently the most significant issues with the battle system? (up to three answers) *

Spamming actions.
Lack of class uniqueness.
Lack of party-based battle tactics.
Insufficient effect from attributes.
Lackluster battle animations.
Cumbersome Battle Regimens.

Class Balancing

2. What type of class role would you like to use in combat? *

Tank (protect allies by holding enemy enmity)
Melee (attack enemies at close range)
Ranged (attack enemies at long range)
Healer (heal allies with restorative abilities)
Buffer (support allies with enhancing abilities)
3. How frequently would you like to engage in party-based play? *

I’m a solo player.
Just on the weekends. (between 1-3 hours)
Just on the weekends. (more than 3 hours)
Weekends and weekdays. (between 1-3 hours)
Weekends and weekdays. (more than 3 hours)
4. What types of game content would you like to undertake while in a party? (up to three answers) *

Ranking up.
Farming/gathering.
Questing.
Guildleves.
Behests.
Small-scale player versus environment (PvE) content.
Large-scale player versus environment (PvE) content.
Player versus player (PvP) content.
5. What types of game content would you like to undertake while playing solo? (up to three answers) *

Ranking up.
Farming/gathering.
Questing.
Guildleves.
Behests.
Synthesis.
Small-scale player versus environment (PvE) content.
Player versus player (PvP) content.
6. In addition to enhancing class differentiation with essential attributes and distinct appearances, we are also looking into introducing class and rank requirements for equipping gear. How do you feel about the implementation of such a system? *

I am for it.
I am against it.
Either way is fine with me.
7. The fatigue system currently in place aims to prevent excessive “grinding” of skill and experience points. Have you felt the effects of this system while playing? *

Yes.
No.

Bonus Point Allotment

The bonus point allotment system was intended to be a means by which players could customize their character's individuality. The free distribution of attribute points has given rise to certain problems, however, such as compatibility issues with the Armoury system, and the lowered effectiveness of the attributes themselves. In particular, this lowered effectiveness of attributes also extends its influence to items, and is therefore something that we feel must be rectified. To do so, we are currently looking into the following two options:

1. Removal of the bonus point system, and the addition of automatic allotment of attribute points based on class
2. Removal of physical levels, and the addition of class-specific allotment of attribute points for each class based on rank.

8. Would you prefer option 1, option 2, or the current system? *

Option 1.
Option 2.
The current system.

Claiming Enemies

The current system of "claiming" enemies allows for one party to claim one enemy group, and players are able to obtain skill and experience points only from those enemies that they or their party have claimed. For a number of reasons, we are currently planning to make changes to the way in which this system functions. In addition to certain already existing inconsistencies, we also foresee issues with the claiming system once large-scale content is introduced in the future, such as multiple parties fighting together against a common enemy, or multiple parties engaging one another in PvP. We would like to hear your opinion on some of the changes we have in mind.

9. If the current target claiming system were done away with, would you be in favor of a system that rewards skill, experience, and loot only to the party that first deals damage to an enemy? Or would you be in favor of skill, experience, and loot being distributed amongst all parties that contributed to an enemy’s defeat? *

Skill, experience, and loot going to only the first party to deal damage to an enemy.
Skill, experience, and loot going to all parties taking part in an enemy’s defeat.
10. If the current target claiming system were done away with, would you prefer for content such as dungeons and battle to be converted into instances as much as possible?
* “Instances” refer to those events and areas that can only be occupied by a single party, or certain characters, at once. This serves to prevent players from competing with one another for the same enemies, for example. *

Yes.
No.
11. Please tell us what you feel would benefit the battle system, or any features you would like to see implemented. (up to 400 characters)

Unknown Soldier said:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

It took them 6 months but finally things are really, actually looking up! The first real, actual meaningful content patch is finally here!

15qon7n.jpg

Also maybe behests will be alot more meaningful with an increase in difficulty, rewards, and reduction of normal max party size to 8 (they'll probably bring in alliances).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rawk Hawk said:
What about magic classes? If I level up conj a bit, can I make a paladin like character? Or will be the curative magic be so poor it wouldn't be worth it?
If you're a melee class, the main reason to rank up mage classes is for soloing. If you're in a party with a mage, leave the magic to the mage (except for a few small occasions).

Unless you're taking massive damage, you should not need to be healing yourself. Curing yourself isn't a very good means of keeping hate.

For solo play, i recommend ranking up CON to 8 for Shockspikes, and THM to 20 for Sacrifice II and Siphon MP.

Teknoman

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=32d037218b11a88eb9b303da1341958db5ecc068

Battle
Adjustment has been made to the amount of party bonuses on skill and experience points for a party with 8 or more members.
Amount of party bonuses awarded per player will now be capped once the number of party members reaches 8 and will decrease by having more members.

Items
Experience points gained through synthesis have been generally reduced.
* However, no adjustment has been made on skill points.

Fixed Bugs
Following issues have been addressed.
"Time remaining until anima regeneration," which gets displayed by /clock text command, is incorrect.
Your own /tell message does not get displayed on certain log widget.
During the trade, a Japanese text gets displayed in the widget title.

Patch...notes? Wtf, what happened to the quests?

Maybe thats why there wasnt a preview to this patch, and the quest patch is coming next week? C'mon Yoshi, you said quests and content near the end of February.

To be honest, I wasnt really expecting the quest patch to be today with no preview hype build up...but jeez...unless they start posting stuff tomorrow, and the patch hits sometime before the end of next week.

EDIT: I am glad about them forcing a limit on the max amount of player necessary for normal ranking up though. 8 seems like a decent number to take on really strong enemies/ behests or just in preparation for the new style of behests.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
When you login you get this.

"From Feb. 21, 2011 17:00 to Feb.22 3:00 (PST) / Feb. 22, 2011 1:00 to 11:00 (GMT), maintenance will be performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV."

o_O

Alex

Sounds like they're basically turning it into another game, one closer to the boons of FFXI but with the polish and evolution of modern day MMOs. Lots of wise choices.

Here's hoping for the best.

Varna

Has performance in this game been improved at all since the beta? I recall it being pretty much the same on the official release.

Teknoman

Emenis said:
When you login you get this.

"From Feb. 21, 2011 17:00 to Feb.22 3:00 (PST) / Feb. 22, 2011 1:00 to 11:00 (GMT), maintenance will be performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV."

o_O

Awesome ready for patch 3. Go for broke Yoshi. Or maybe not... better wait for some preview shots first lol.

They issued a ninja patch, version 1.15b, just days before super huge content patch. Presumably so our bodies would be ready.

In unrelated news, I've successfully implemented Nvidia SLI using 2x GeForce GTX 470s. It works with FFXIV, the performance scaling is roughly 1.8x (!!) by my testing of various settings and quick calculations, and it works in Windowed Mode. Yes, Nvidia SLI works with FFXIV in Windowed Mode, so I can keep using Windower XIV! Nvidia is truly The Way It's Meant To Be Played. I just need to get used to the infamous multi-GPU microstutter now, that shit is a bitch when you've been using single GPUs all your life.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:
They've pretty much fixed all the latency issues.
No they haven't. Battle regimen, for example, still fucks up if there's too many people in the zone with you.

Graphics, network, and CPU performance has improved, yes, but it went from incredibly terrible to just slightly terrible.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Part II of the SP analysis.

http://kanican.livejournal.com/52445.html

Interesting to note that it explains why sometimes when you lower the stars on a leve, the SP gained remains the same. The reason why is because the after a level difference of 10, the mob doesn't give you anymore SP.

There is a point where increasing the stars on certain leves will have no positive impact on SP.

Jinko

Varna said:
But actual graphic performance is still pretty bad I imagine.

It's a lot better than it was, considering its probably the best looking MMO out there (besides Tera) you're expected to run into graphical problems, especially if your PC is underpowered.

Varna

Rentahamster said:
If you run the benchmark, you can get a rough idea. The actual game performance is better than the benchmark.

Found this to be untrue for the beta. Benchmark ran at 30 fps min on the low benchmark but the the actual game ran so much worse it's not even funny. I had like 2500 score.

Ran the benchmark on my new rig and it did 3400.

Teknoman

Varna said:
Found this to be untrue for the beta. Benchmark ran at 30 fps min on the low benchmark but the the actual game ran so much worse it's not even funny. I had like 2500 score.

Did you turn off ambient occlusion? For some reason that kills fps for alot of people.

Thoraxes

Varna said:

Yeah in-game performance for me has been much better than the benchmark indicated.
DoF and AA really do ruin computers though; running without those would do you good.

I have everything else up as high as it can go, including AA and get a solid 50 FPS, but the second I turn one of those two things on, things go out the window.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Varna said:

Yeah, but it's not beta anymore, and the game runs a little better now than it did before. Just leave off dof and ao, and you should be ok as long as your vidcard isn't ass.

Allard

Just so you know we probably aren't getting a patch on Monday/Tuesday. The time that's in game is the exact same time that they are doing their Account Services Maintenance which they already mention would shut the FFXIV servers down. And with the small 'repair' Q/A they had today and no preview, I'd say we probably have to wait till the end of next week to get the next patch if not the Monday after next.

Effect

Okay, reinstalling the game. Why I don't really know but perhaps I'm just curious. What is the Gaf server again, if there still is one?

I think I'm pretty much going to start from nothing as well. See no point in continuing a character I had before.

Rawk Hawk

Effect said:
Okay, reinstalling the game. Why I don't really know but perhaps I'm just curious. What is the Gaf server again, if there still is one?

I think I'm pretty much going to start from nothing as well. See no point in continuing a character I had before.
Lindblum is our server.

I've reinstalled it too...

I made a character on Lindblum.. who do I need to talk to for a pearl again?

My character name is Galadrian Oakbough.. Lalafel archer.. started in Gridania.

Will probably be on some this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom