• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Black Mage gear looks awesome, I want level 50 now :(

I'm tempted to restart as Miqo'te or Hyur, gear tends to look better on them.

Teknoman

And now for a bit of good news! The official forums mentioned in previous posts are almost ready, with a beta version of the site ready for launch on Tuesday, March 8!

Looks like the floodgates are about to open. Anyway we dont know that stuff = rank 50 yet right (I know its most likely high rank stuff, but still)? Also im glad he commented on why they pushed this major update into early March.

We originally intended for 1.16 to go live before the end of February, but unfortunately I had to make the decision to delay its release for a few days to allow our Quality Assurance teams in North America and Europe sufficient time to perform all the necessary testing, rather than rush a release of content that was not of an acceptable quality. I understand your frustration, but ask that you bear with us just a little longer.

I dont think these new armors will be for new classes though. I want more specific class equipment and skills, but I dont really want them to just fall back to old school classes in name so quickly. The names of the classes arent the problem, just the way they operate.

Teknoman

Riposte said:
Man those forums are going to be goddamn terrible lol.

As long as they use strict but fair moderation...but yeah, get ready for alot of "lul this gmae sucks" posts for the first week. Its cool that we should finally have a direct means of communication, rather than just submitting things via a suggestion box or hoping they take good JP suggestions.

Never knew they had an official forum for XI in Japan...always wondered how they took suggestions into account, when it didnt seem like there was any way of making them.

Munba

They could put some of the classic-ff11-jobs as "advanced jobs" to the existing ones. Like 'mastery' paths in that particular job (es. gladiator -> path 1: paladin / path 2: dark knight).

Teknoman

Munba said:
They could put some of the classic-ff11-jobs as "advanced jobs" to the existing ones. Like 'mastery' paths in that particular job (es. gladiator -> path 1: paladin / path 2: dark knight).

I could work with that. Probably the best way to handle things for both sides.

Salaadin

This is sounding/looking better and better.
Munba said:

I really like this idea.

Nakazato

Munba said:
great idea

Ichabod

Banned
First reaction at those concept designs
1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

Allard

Babalu. said:
hopefully you can only post in the new forums if you have an active account with ffxiv.

They actually said that would be the case in an interview yesturday from a French Community fansite. All users must have a currently active FFXIV account. Should also make it easier/more detrimental for forum violaters and make moderation actually mean something... still I remember the FFXIV beta forum... it was hilariously sad, beyond cringeworthy in the general discussion forum. The concept discussion forums seemed like they were fairly well moderated though, or at least they somewhat stayed on subject.

Jinko

I for one kind of hope they rename the classes in line with Final Fantasy, I don't have any attachment to the current names they are using.

Of course the forums are guna be a shitfest of idiots (no different than any other MMO forum out there) but hopefully some good will come out of it, even if its just a centralised place to make suggestions.

Jinko said:
Black Mage gear looks awesome, I want level 50 now :(

You should have been playing like those of us who stayed have been. The time we've spent leveling our jobs is time we have invested with the anticipation of the moment which is about to arrive, when quests and other high-level content is added to the game. It's still not easy to rank up to 50 even with the relaxed SP gains which have been implemented, unless you are an archer. This is a game which requires a significant time investment to get to the high-level content, like FFXI before the 'relaxed years' starting 2008.

What's going to happen is the 110 people in SoD who quit at rank 16, the ones who actually come back are going to find themselves having to level up instead of being able to enjoy the new content right away. By the time they are high enough rank to enjoy it, everybody who stayed will have already done it and they'll miss the enjoyment of discovering it when everyone else does.

FFXIV is still the most promising MMOG of 2011 despite 6 months of Squenix doing God Knows What since the botched launch. Rift is a piece of shit that everyone already hates because it's WoW again and again, SWTOR is looking more and more like a crash-and-burn, and everybody's already "beaten" DCUO and are looking for a new game. Many of the DCUO folks have gone to Rift only to find it's another game you can "beat" in a month and it's just like WoW anyways. The people who stayed with FFXIV instead of hopping from one flavor-of-the-month MMOG to the next will soon be reaping the rewards of loyalty.

I'm tempted to restart as Miqo'te or Hyur, gear tends to look better on them.

If you're going to restart, you should be Miqo'te, because Catgirl is Best Girl!

TheFatOne

Unknown Soldier said:
If you're going to restart, you should be Miqo'te, because Catgirl is Best Girl!

This is incorrect. Man getting to r20 is super easy now, but I have no idea what the hell I should kill from r20 on. My biggest problem in this game now is my add. One second I'm crafting, and the next second I'm walking around Camp Iron Lake for no reason. At this rate none of my crafts will ever get past r20.

Ichabod

Banned
Keeping my eyes on this and Tera. Its promising to see what the dev team has on the horizon and refreshing how open they are to fan feedback. Really hoping the game lives up to its incredible potential. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Riposte

Jinko said:
I for one kind of hope they rename the classes in line with Final Fantasy, I don't have any attachment to the current names they are using.

Do you happen to have any attachment to the setting of the game? The classes are really integrated into the setting. If you were to rename Pugilist to Monk, it would make no sense that their guild is based out of a gambling hall. And would you call a Thaumaturge a White Mage despite the religion it is based on not being atypical christianity-holy-power fill-in and they use all sorts of "dark" magic? And so on.

Unknown Soldier said:
You should have been playing like those of us who stayed have been. The time we've spent leveling our jobs is time we have invested with the anticipation of the moment which is about to arrive, when quests and other high-level content is added to the game. It's still not easy to rank up to 50 even with the relaxed SP gains which have been implemented, unless you are an archer. This is a game which requires a significant time investment to get to the high-level content, like FFXI before the 'relaxed years' starting 2008.

What's going to happen is the 110 people in SoD who quit at rank 16, the ones who actually come back are going to find themselves having to level up instead of being able to enjoy the new content right away. By the time they are high enough rank to enjoy it, everybody who stayed will have already done it and they'll miss the enjoyment of discovering it when everyone else does.

It's never been their style to just tack all new content onto endgame or highest currently attainable level. People look at MMOs differently. I personally have not spent the time playing much or leveling, because I don't want to go through a straight grind in a barren, uninteresting world. I like to take these games at my own pace and enjoy the world. I'll play when it's a game in which I can actually do that.

With regards to class names, no way should the rename what we have currently. I would absolutely love to see class mastery paths. Say you can go from a conjurer to either a black mage or a white mage, then once you've mastered black or white mage, you unlock the path you didn't choose before, therefore still allowing players to play all classes.

Unknown Soldier said:

There should be new content at every rank. I imagine people would want to come back because the game stopped feeling like a grind. That is my only issue with the title. No amount of armors or promises of whats to come at rank 50 will actually get me to play more unless the ride is more enjoyable.

Teknoman

staticneuron said:
There should be new content at every rank. I imagine people would want to come back because the game stopped feeling like a grind. That is my only issue with the title. No amount of armors or promises of whats to come at rank 50 will actually get me to play more unless the ride is more enjoyable.

Yeah im hoping for new stuff at all rank ranges. More equipment for higher ranges and crazy battles, more quests and events to keep things going low to mid.

Teknoman

Munba said:

Munba, you should really post this once the new forums hit. More detailed if you can, but yeah.

Munba

I was thinking about it eheh. But yeah, it must be the more detailed possibile. For example i think the paths need some classes from other FFs to be completed and this must be implemented in the right manner to prevent unbalancing elements. Btw it could be like this,

Gladiator: path1: paladin / path2: dark knight (path3: mystic knight)
Lancer: path1: dragoon / path2: beastmaster (path3: ???)
Marauder: path1: pirate / path2: berserker (path3: samurai)
Pugilist: path1: monk / path2: thief (path3: ninja)
Conjurer: path1: white mage / path2: black mage (path3: red mage)
Thaumaturge: path1: summoner / path2: blue mage (path3: time mage)
Archer: path1: gambler / path2: bard (path3: engineer)
(i can't decide in which job bard could be..)

Path 3 could be in the next expansions.
You could choose abilities from the primary job combined with the new one, maybe.

A very rough idea for now that need to be elaborate in a more detailed way indeed.

edit:

Is this interview from finalfantasy14.eu old?
http://forum.finalfantasy14.eu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1407

Pretty interesting (about quests, chocobo, airship especially).

That sort of mastery system is what I've dreamed for for this game since its announcement. It would just be so awesome, and I honestly think that the issue of classic FF classes is more important to players than the devs realize. Somehow it's really important to me.

I mean, a big part of why I played FFXI for so many years is that it felt like an online FF game through and through.. This one.. really doesn't yet.

Munba said:
Is this interview from finalfantasy14.eu old?
http://forum.finalfantasy14.eu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1407

Pretty interesting (about quests, chocobo, airship especially).

Haha, I know a big part of their aim with these interviews is to make him look good, but I'm really starting to like this Yoshida guy. He sounds awesome.

Munba said:
Conjurer: path1: white mage / path2: black mage (path3: red mage)
Thaumaturge: path1: summoner / path2: blue mage (path3: time mage)

Because of the "how" their abilities work and the difference in how they use thier magic it probably would be more like this

Conjurer: path1: white mage / path2: black mage (path3: summoner )
Thaumaturge: path1: red mage / path2: blue mage (path3: time mage)

Slight difference but the Conjurers seem more direct and thaumaturge's magic list reads more like support magic and enfeebling magic. Since it is indicated that eventually a Thaumaturge can have terrifying destruction one would imagine that some sort of time/void spells are in line for them. They call forth aether within themselves to perform their magic and their guild supposedly holds powers of "life, death, and beyond".

Conjurers call forth Aether from around them and sounds more like they summon (or conjure) magic than a class like THM does. On thing I imagine though is that they would look more like trees. Because the designers of the game seem to try hard to avoid putting either class into a firm direction. Both classes have great abilities to attack, defend, support and heal. But for now it seems that despite the official webpage listing THM'S are scarier, the high ranking CON spells seem to do more direct damage. Flare at level 44, sounds pretty sweet.

Maybe a combination of classes will happen once you get your affinity up. Like THM and Gladiator would be required for dark knight or RDM.

Munba

staticneuron said:
Because of the "how" their abilities work and the difference in how they use thier magic it probably would be more like this

Conjurer: path1: white mage / path2: black mage (path3: summoner )
Thaumaturge: path1: red mage / path2: blue mage (path3: time mage)

Slight difference but the Conjurers seem more direct and thaumaturge's magic list reads more like support magic and enfeebling magic. Since it is indicated that eventually a Thaumaturge can have terrifying destruction one would imagine that some sort of time/void spells are in line for them. They call forth aether within themselves to perform their magic and their guild supposedly holds powers of "life, death, and beyond".

Conjurers call forth Aether from around them and sounds more like they summon (or conjure) magic than a class like THM does. On thing I imagine though is that they would look more like trees. Because the designers of the game seem to try hard to avoid putting either class into a firm direction. Both classes have great abilities to attack, defend, support and heal. But for now it seems that despite the official webpage listing THM'S are scarier, the high ranking CON spells seem to do more direct damage. Flare at level 44, sounds pretty sweet.

Maybe a combination of classes will happen once you get your affinity up. Like THM and Gladiator would be required for dark knight or RDM.

Yeah, i was undecided about it but summoner is an 'elemental caller' indeed, so conjurer is surely more suitable for it.

Also the combination between classes to unlock others, would be nice.

Jinko

You should have been playing like those of us who stayed have been. The time we've spent leveling our jobs is time we have invested with the anticipation of the moment which is about to arrive, when quests and other high-level content is added to the game.

True enough, but you guys have been playing a very broken and boring game, there was no way I was guna do that. :)

What HappyBivouac said rings true with me, for ANY mmo to be successful these days you have to make the leveling process enjoyable otherwise you are going to lose the player base. (which is what has happened)

I've said it before end game content is all well and good as long as you have something on interest on the road to get there.

Hopefully most of these quests they are planning to add in the next patch are mid level.

Do you happen to have any attachment to the setting of the game? The classes are really integrated into the setting. If you were to rename Pugilist to Monk, it would make no sense that their guild is based out of a gambling hall. And would you call a Thaumaturge a White Mage despite the religion it is based on not being atypical christianity-holy-power fill-in and they use all sorts of "dark" magic? And so on.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Thaumaturge can mean many things and the FFXIV set up is more like a Red Mage than a White Mage,

Of course if they did make Black and White Mages the Conjurer job would need to be split into seperate disiplines.

This I agree with XD

Edit:-

Hmmm you can only have 1 character now ? since when ?

Screwed if im deleting Jinko Jinko >.>

Jinko said:
Edit:-

Hmmm you can only have 1 character now ? since when ?

Screwed if im deleting Jinko Jinko >.>
You can't just create a new character from within FF XIV if all your slots are full, but I assume you should still be able to add another character option in your Square Enix Account from the web? I have not done so.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
JoshuaJSlone said:
You can't just create a new character from within FF XIV if all your slots are full, but I assume you should still be able to add another character option in your Square Enix Account from the web? I have not done so.
Yep, that's what you do.

What's the most active community forum on the web right now? I've been playing a bit again, and it's been impossible to find a linkshell (Trabia server) that is active and will respond to random requests for invitation. I just want a social one so I can talk to people and figure the game out.

While the game remains in infinite free trial, you can add all 8 possible character slots and have 5 teleport slaves if you want. If you burn your CE buddy pass you can have 8 teleport slaves on another account and therefore infinite anima forever, or until Squenix finally decides to charge for the game.

Riposte

Unknown Soldier said:
While the game remains in infinite free trial, you can add all 8 possible character slots and have 5 teleport slaves if you want. If you burn your CE buddy pass you can have 8 teleport slaves on another account and therefore infinite anima forever, or until Squenix finally decides to charge for the game.

Damnnnn

I now what I'll be doing when I get back.

Teknoman

HappyBivouac said:
What's the most active community forum on the web right now? I've been playing a bit again, and it's been impossible to find a linkshell (Trabia server) that is active and will respond to random requests for invitation. I just want a social one so I can talk to people and figure the game out.

*cough* cometolindblum *cough*

EDIT: I would definitely choose a Mystic Knight if that popped up in XIV.

Forums...i'd guy XIV core? I usually cycle between here, core, and zam for xiv news. Also Yoshida is supposed to be making rounds for EU and NA fan forums, so hopefully more interviews hit soon...as well as patch news.

Nice points from the EU interview:

For the current players, we really want to make sure we have enough content especially for the mid-level and also the high level content. For the mid-level probably around rank 25 onwards, we really want to make sure there's enough content. Also, as you've seen before on the producer's list, you can see the late content we want to put in, so that's kind of content we really want to make sure to give the current players.

At the same time, for the players who have already left and to bringing in new players, we need to make sure the early stages of the game is ready, like the user interface and the tutorials, and making sure understand they are needed for the game, and by showing different quests, players should be able to understand their need in the world of Eorzea. So when the two points are ready, then we can probably have a welcome back campaign and make sure truly enjoys the game once again.

Finalfantasy14.eu :

In your planning, you mention quest related to the main storyline. Are you planning to add some unrelated?

Naoki Yoshida :

This is exactly what we are working on now. From the next patch onwards, I'm sure you will notice there's going to be a lot of quests added to the game. And not only for the main storyline, but also there will be a quest which explains the background of story of the monsters or the NPCs, so you can really understand how Eorzea is working. So you will get a lot of background stories for classes as well, so it should be interesting to look forward to those quests.

Munba

Patch 1.16 going to be live tomorrow :)

Patch 1.16, set to go live on Thursday, March 3, will introduce several new sidequests to Eorzea. To go along with this, there are also a number of changes to make the questing experience smoother, as well as adjustments to the degrees of difficulty for many local levequests.

Sidequests

Sidequests are a new category of quests that are being added to the game. These will be made available through various NPCs located in each of the three cities, given that a player first fulfills certain class/rank prerequisites. The content of these endeavors vary greatly from one another, and we will continue to add further sidequests in future patches.
NPCs offering sidequests are easily distinguishable by the presence of an exclamation point (!) icon above their heads. The same icon is also displayed at sidequest NPC locations on the map and minimap. In the future, we plan to extend this feature to other quest NPCs, such as those offering class quests.

624_0.png

* The term "sidequests" is the new official designation for what were previously referred to as "miniquests" in several Letter from the Producer posts.
** Only sidequest NPCs within a certain distance of the player will have the ! icon displayed over their head.

Local Levequests

The objectives of certain local levequests are currently somewhat difficult to complete due to disparities between the synthesis rank of their requested items and the approximate rank needed to reach the associated aetheryte. To address this, patch 1.16 will contain adjustments to the recommended ranks, degrees of difficulty, and item types and amounts requested of these levequests.

* Levequests undertaken prior to version 1.16 will automatically be adjusted upon server restart following the patch.

Zalasta

This is probably low on most user's list but I really wish they would introduce grade 6 mining/logging spots (fishing already have up to grade 10). At 43 I'm already getting 100 or less skill points per swing at grade 5 and it's going to decrease the higher I go. Compare this to any other discipline and the fact is it's a complete crawl to 50. Imagine getting only ~50 per kill or per synthesis with no alternatives, I doubt you'd enjoy that...

Unknown Soldier said:
So now that we have real content coming starting right about now, are any of you going to actually come back?

I have been on and off because of a backlog of other titles, but if the new quests are engaging enough I will put off the other titles eating into my time.

Salaadin

Unknown Soldier said:
So now that we have real content coming starting right about now, are any of you going to actually come back?

They really picked a good time to release this patch when I have Ys 1 and 2, DA2, and Pokemon to play all within the next week.

Ill make time for FFXIV this weekend though. I have to check it out.

Teknoman

staticneuron said:
I have been on and off because of a backlog of other titles, but if the new quests are engaging enough I will put off the other titles eating into my time.

Same here. Also the idea bubble looks like something from XII, so thats cool. Glad it wont appear until you are within range.

Teknoman

Eorzepedia interview:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2011/03/02/eorzeapedia-exclusive-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Notable entries -

Q. Eorzea feels very, very safe right now. You have mentioned that you want to change this. You have also mentioned changes to mob distribution and safe travel routes. What else can you tell us about your plans to make Eorzea feel like a world filled with adventure and danger?

A. According to Yoshida-san, there are two primary things being implemented soon (patch 1.16 and 1.17) that will address this. The first is simply an increased number of mobs roaming Eorzea. This alone, says Yoshida-san, should make Eorzea feel, and actually be, more dangerous. The second aspect being implemented that will enhance feelings of adventure and danger are the side-quests. While these quests are not part of the main storyline, they will be foreshadowing the dangers and threats that will soon be present in Eorzea.

Q. You have also mentioned the possible introduction of traditional names. How do you see these new names fitting into the existing class system? Do you plan on using the new names as a guide to develop class uniqueness?

A. Yoshida-san is between two possible plans at this time. The first idea is that the traditional names would be introduced as “higher” or “advanced” classes. The traditional classes would thus be something of a goal for players. The second idea is that the traditional names would be more of a subset or specialization within the existing classes.

Whatever change is put into effect needs to be right. He recognizes that he will not be able to change the system again after this, so whatever is put into place needs to work, and be able to be balanced, for years to come. Because of this his team is giving this issue a lot of thought prior to implementation.

Something I didnt like:

Related, but as an aside, Sundi added that the current trend in the MMO genre is for smaller parties, but also smaller linkshells/guilds. In other words, a move away from the 200+ person linkshells/guilds, and a move towards smaller, 10 person linkshells/guilds. FFXIV intends to follow, and support, this trend.

Yeah...lets hope they dont support a 10 person guild trend. I'm all for lower party numbers being viable, but lets not shrink guilds to crazy levels.

EDIT: I say go with plan A for the advanced classes. Give players something to work towards in conjunction with quests.

Ichabod

Banned
So is the PS3 release still on indefinite hold? If you had to venture a guess, how far out are we looking before the big-time game changes/updates start coming?

Teknoman

Ichabod said:
So is the PS3 release still on indefinite hold? If you had to venture a guess, how far out are we looking before the big-time game changes/updates start coming?

Yoshida said "spring" in the EU interview, so I guess any time before June? It seems like they are trying to put hard hitting changes in every patch now though.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:

After pokemon :p

I'm so happy about the ! above the heads .. looks good SE *thumbs up*

Zalasta

Teknoman said:
Q. Eorzea feels very, very safe right now. You have mentioned that you want to change this. You have also mentioned changes to mob distribution and safe travel routes. What else can you tell us about your plans to make Eorzea feel like a world filled with adventure and danger?

A. According to Yoshida-san, there are two primary things being implemented soon (patch 1.16 and 1.17) that will address this. The first is simply an increased number of mobs roaming Eorzea. This alone, says Yoshida-san, should make Eorzea feel, and actually be, more dangerous. The second aspect being implemented that will enhance feelings of adventure and danger are the side-quests. While these quests are not part of the main storyline, they will be foreshadowing the dangers and threats that will soon be present in Eorzea.

Unless they bring back sneak/invisibility/reraise, I'm not really for hostile environments, at least not in the way some XI's zones were. As it stands right there there are a handful of crystals that are fairly difficult/impossible to get to.

Rawk Hawk

Zalasta said:
Unless they bring back sneak/invisibility/reraise, I'm not really for hostile environments, at least not in the way some XI's zones were. As it stands right there there are a handful of crystals that are fairly difficult/impossible to get to.
Agreed, I wouldn't mind something along the lines of the linking system of FFXI to make this a bit harder. There were few things better in an EXP party than an awesome puller, always liked playing BRD for the pulling, but in this although parties seem less used, the rush of a good pull would be nice.

Cathcart

Unknown Soldier said:
I might hop on this weekend to check out the new patch. I've been intending to come back since I left and while the patch notes look good I'm not sure the game is quite where I want it to be. Still, I do miss punching stuff. And I have yet to build the cannon boat wedding cake!

Teknoman

Hopefully they really use the dungeons with the quests, as well as the random buildings, wells, and hamlets around Eorzea.

Think Hamlet defense is coming?

Allard

Teknoman said:
Hopefully they really use the dungeons with the quests, as well as the random buildings, wells, and hamlets around Eorzea.

Think Hamlet defense is coming?

They might be shelving that till the combat update is finished but that would definitely bring more 'danger' into the world and its even been alluded to in the main storylines even before the sidequest updates. Been talking about how the primal are getting antsy for war, or any second hostilities could come about. The 'example' quest alone seems to hint at an escalation between the Limsan's and the Sahagin coming up.

As for that interview I don't mind both ideas Yoshida talked about in regards to implementing the traditional classes. They both have some pros and cons. The specing system probably be the easiest to implement but I think the advanced classes route would be more rewarding and add more content into the game but it would be a lot harder to balance (imo).

If they add more aggressive mobs, they need to add chocobos for safe travel. As is, the game is too built on tele-porting. I miss the old treks through long dungeons and fields that gave XI a sense of scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom