• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Allard said:
They might be shelving that till the combat update is finished but that would definitely bring more 'danger' into the world and its even been alluded to in the main storylines even before the sidequest updates. Been talking about how the primal are getting antsy for war, or any second hostilities could come about. The 'example' quest alone seems to hint at an escalation between the Limsan's and the Sahagin coming up.

As for that interview I don't mind both ideas Yoshida talked about in regards to implementing the traditional classes. They both have some pros and cons. The specing system probably be the easiest to implement but I think the advanced classes route would be more rewarding and add more content into the game but it would be a lot harder to balance (imo).

Well if they went with plan a for advanced classes, they would probably be able to put together some nice mini-storylines for each class, much like XI (or IV when Cecil became a Paladin). I'd be ok with either, but really hoping for the first.

Munba

A. Yoshida-san is between two possible plans at this time. The first idea is that the traditional names would be introduced as “higher” or “advanced” classes. The traditional classes would thus be something of a goal for players. The second idea is that the traditional names would be more of a subset or specialization within the existing classes.

Great idea Yoshi-P XD

LittleTokyo said:
As is, the game is too built on tele-porting. I miss the old treks through long dungeons and fields that gave XI a sense of scope.

Totally agree.
And i need also some type of things to find/search around, to encourage travels and exploration because in this state i find Eorzea too empty and not so 'alive'.

Well, a 50 THM soloed Dodore. I guess we can all quit the game now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KazOD98mqr4

This guy was 50THM/50CON when he did this. The key is apparently (Emulate), a skill that Squenix will probably move to the top of the nerf list now that someone has soloed Dodore with it. THM is a pretty impressively broken class, it's too bad this guy didn't get to solo Morbol with his THM before they nerfed (Punishing Barbs) and (Firm Conviction) in November.

I wonder whatever happened to Treitei Firnas, that guy hit 50THM/50CON before he quit a few months back. He could probably do this if he watched the video and read up on the tactics used and practiced a few times.

Kind of disappointed with the results of the instancing question, though clearly I am in quite the minority. I pretty much dislike anything that ruins the illusion of actually existing in a shared world.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Kind of disappointed with the results of the instancing question, though clearly I am in quite the minority. I pretty much dislike anything that ruins the illusion of actually existing in a shared world.

I'm with you, but we certainly are a minority. I hate instanced dungeons. Makes the rest of the game world feel like a glorified lobby.

Salaadin

Outdoor Miner said:
I'm with you, but we certainly are a minority. I hate instanced dungeons. Makes the rest of the game world feel like a glorified lobby.

Im not sure how I feel about it. Good arguments can be made for both sides.

Salaadin said:
Im not sure how I feel about it. Good arguments can be made for both sides.

Oh for sure. I think it would be cool if both types of dungeons could be had in a game. I think it can be done. Have the instanced dungeons be smaller in scale (able to complete around 30 minutes-ish), and then have huge public dungeons where you can solo or duo on the fringes but to get to the heart you will need to get into a full group.

Riposte

I am quite relieved on their approach to "traditional" names. Kind of reassures my confidence I can get attach to the setting.

EDIT: You can count me a fan of instance dungeons if it results in challenging content. The kind of challenge you'd find in a "normal" game. Just putting everything out in the field allows for more tactics abuse. The most fun I had in FFXI were semi-instanced missions.

EDIT: Lack of party based actions didn't win out. Hope he realizes it is ultimately the best source of depth(thus interesting mechanics) he can get out of the battle system.

Londa

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah I prefer the way ffxi did it. Its a shame that all mmos now have to follow one formula. I guess I can just remember the good old days when everything felt like a open world and a adventure. Not instant this and instant that. I'm not against instances just a game being mostly instances.

Babalu.

looks like almost everyone was FOR having gear class/level requirements.

Thats good.

Sounds like a lot of things are coming soon. Can't wait.

Riposte

Babalu. said:
looks like almost everyone was FOR having gear class/level requirements.

Thats good.

Sounds like a lot of things are coming soon. Can't wait.

Personally I am not for or against really. I find it kind of silly to have them, given my origins in Dungeon and Dragons where you can do anything you want, but it might not benefit you. But it is a videogame, so whatever. However I don't see how they hurt either.

Teknoman

Outdoor Miner said:
Oh for sure. I think it would be cool if both types of dungeons could be had in a game. I think it can be done. Have the instanced dungeons be smaller in scale (able to complete around 30 minutes-ish), and then have huge public dungeons where you can solo or duo on the fringes but to get to the heart you will need to get into a full group.
My thoughts exactly. Really hope the current dungeons get addons like random chests and boss fights, while instances follow the mmm or nyzul island route.

Maybe some sort of really high...tower of babel style challenge dungeon(ffiv fan lol). Also cant wait to see the new rank up fx, what they mean by adjusting enemy size, and how the new mp regen works.

Teknoman

Patch notes are up!

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=26b05ca12f4a3f28e2208f9e3a3f73b725452113

Excerpts that I believe are the most important sections of the update:

More than several sidequests have been added.
When all of the prerequisite conditions for undertaking a sidequest have been met, an exclamation point (!) icon will appear over the head of the NPC offering it. While on a sidequest, this icon will also appear above NPCs to whom you must speak to in order to progress. The icon will also appear at NPC locations on the map and minimap.
* Enemies defeated as part of a sidequest do not yield skill points, experience points, or loot.
* The term "sidequests" is the new official designation for what was previously referred to as "miniquests" in several Letter from the Producer posts.

608_0.png

GIANT MONSTERS NOW! ahem...

608_2.jpg

608_3.jpg

Final Fantasy feel is go! All monster sizes have been adjusted.

An icon has been added to hostile enemies to distinguish them from non-hostile enemies.
* Hostile enemies are those that will attack PCs unprovoked.

608_4.jpg

The HP values of the following enemies have been increased.
Cavernulous Coblyn / Copper Coblyn / Corroded Coblyn / Chitinous Coblyn / Diaphanous Doblyn / Heliodor Doblyn / Iron Coblyn / Lead Coblyn / Quartz Doblyn / Sphene Doblyn

The following enemies no longer suffer damage when using the Cluster Geyser ability.
Diaphanous Doblyn / Heliodor Doblyn / Quartz Doblyn / Sphene Doblyn

MP now automatically regenerates while in passive mode.

The recast timers for the following abilities have been reduced from 60 seconds to 30 seconds.
Dowse / Dowse II / Dowse III / Dowse IV / Dowse V / Prospect / Prospect II / Prospect III / Prospect IV / Prospect V / Triangulate / Triangulate II / Triangulate III / Triangulate IV / Triangulate V

The Steadfast status no longer wears off as a result of slight movements.

When the optimal class or optimal rank for a piece of equipped gear is met, that item's condition will deteriorate at a reduced rate. If both values are met, the deterioration rate will be slowed even further.
The condition (%) at which a piece of gear inflicts a player with the Gear Damage status has been reduced from 50% to 35%.

The clock text command now displays the following information:
Countdown timer for Guardian's Favor

3-D effects displayed when a new rank or level is obtained have undergone the following changes:
Effects will no longer overlap with other on-screen elements
Display size has been increased.
Display time has been lengthened.

The status icon interface is now outlined in blue when moused over for ease of viewing.
Targeting can now also be done in the following ways:
← and → keys
Clicking on a target's display name
Camera distance settings can now be adjusted while locked onto a target.
Targeting modes that cycle through only specific target types can now be enabled when using a gamepad.

Targeting modes can be selected by using the ↑ and ↓ keys, or the up and down directional buttons mapped to Target/Menu Navigation on a gamepad.

608_6.jpg

608_7.jpg

608_8.jpg

608_9.jpg

Check out the full note list at the site.

Teknoman

Man the detail is really going to shine through now. I know its only certain monsters, but still. No FF game should have tiny monsters, unless its for a reason (chigoes for instance in XI).

Oh and Non-hostile enemies that previously followed or fled from a PC when approached no longer do so.

Teknoman said:
Man the detail is really going to shine through now. I know its only certain monsters, but still. No FF game should have tiny monsters, unless its for a reason (chigoes for instance in XI).

Oh and Non-hostile enemies that previously followed or fled from a PC when approached no longer do so.

Oh thank god. Fucking annoying and retarded design decision having monsters follow you around when you're trying to fight shit. Made AOE attacks/spells useless just because they thought it'd be cute.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Oh thank god. Fucking annoying and retarded design decision having monsters follow you around when you're trying to fight shit. Made AOE attacks/spells useless just because they thought it'd be cute.

Funny thing is that some guy over at ZAM is bitching about how it kills immersion. Really? Because goats just randomly follow people in real life.

Same for the aggro indicator. But yeah, dont know what the previous team was thinking by making something like that happen. Maybe fleeing monsters are ok ala Dragon Quest or Persona 3-4, but monsters that just follow you regardless of aggro?

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:

You dont think this is cute?
Ffxiv-aldgoat.png

:(

Bento

So are any of these sidequests for lower level players or only mid- to endgame content?

Another one or two of these patches and I'm jumping back in :eek:)

Teknoman

Bento said:
So are any of these sidequests for lower level players or only mid- to endgame content?

Another one or two patches and I'm jumping back in :eek:)

No one knows the rank range for the quests in game atm. Hopefully there are a decent amount for each rank range.

Riposte

Is every member of those races of monsters now bigger? If so, kind of a hilarious change. Will be funny getting adjusted to it when I get back.

btw, will I need a new pearl?

Rawk Hawk

Riposte said:
Is every member of those races of monsters now bigger? If so, kind of a hilarious change. Will be funny getting adjusted to it when I get back.

Yoshi put the big heads code in.

Teknoman

Riposte said:

Well since Yoshi hasnt managed to get the team to fix the LS interface system (I guess that'll happen in the second March patch? Maybe whenever companies hit) if you've got a Gunsmith Cats pearl, you should be good.

Still cant wait to return to using Stars of Destiny...or should we just wait to see what happens with companies, and make a new identity altogether? Know i've asked this question before...but still.

And yeah, every member of the funguar and spriggan species should be bigger. Dunno if they enlarged the rodents, bugs, puks, or flytraps as well. Would be nice though. At minimum, most monsters should be big as those demon gnats imo.

EDIT: First thing i'm going to post on the forum is a suggestion to make patches downloadable with or without the torrent.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Teknoman said:
Well since Yoshi hasnt managed to get the team to fix the LS interface system (I guess that'll happen in the second March patch? Maybe whenever companies hit) if you've got a Gunsmith Cats pearl, you should be good.

Still cant wait to return to using Stars of Destiny...or should we just wait to see what happens with companies, and make a new identity altogether? Know i've asked this question before...but still.

And yeah, every member of the funguar and spriggan species should be bigger. Dunno if they enlarged the rodents, bugs, puks, or flytraps as well. Would be nice though. At minimum, most monsters should be big as those demon gnats imo.

EDIT: First thing i'm going to post on the forum is a suggestion to make patches downloadable with or without the torrent.

GSC is almost full again (Too many inactives). Been thinking up new name with the others for another LS which I will be making soon probably.

And can't wait to try the new quest.. havent really ever been excited to see whats new in a patch till now.

Babalu.

I think people are going to be seriously disappointed with the quests and how they've set them up.

I don't know what everyone was expecting, but I doubt that it will be implemented that way.

No cutscenes quests, no talking, no anything. Just a text bubble that says go kill 10 monsters that are attacking my invisible tomatoe garden. Then a long walk or teleport to the crystal to go do it. Then walk from the crystal to kill and then return. A text bubble that says here is your reward.

It will be the same thing as a guildleve except you get it from different people instead of at the desk. And then these are limited. I highly doubt they put in thousands of quests. Probably more like 50-100 quests.

And then theres this:

* Enemies defeated as part of a sidequest do not yield skill points, experience points, or loot.

So its WORSE then a guildleve. You dont get any exp or sp or drops, just the reward for the quest which i have no doubts will be worthless.

Yeah, i was expecting nice quests and things too until I really stopped to think about it.

I hope i'm wrong but I would bet money that i'm not.

Teknoman

Emenis said:
GSC is almost full again (Too many inactives). Been thinking up new name with the others for another LS which I will be making soon probably.

And can't wait to try the new quest.. havent really ever been excited to see whats new in a patch till now.

I say bring on some FF series (spin offs too) style names.

Babalu. said:
I think people are going to be seriously disappointed with the quests and how they've set them up.

I don't know what everyone was expecting, but I doubt that it will be implemented that way.

No cutscenes quests, no talking, no anything. Just a text bubble that says go kill 10 monsters that are attacking my invisible tomatoe garden. Then a long walk or teleport to the crystal to go do it. Then walk from the crystal to kill and then return. A text bubble that says here is your reward.

It will be the same thing as a guildleve except you get it from different people instead of at the desk. And then these are limited. I highly doubt they put in thousands of quests. Probably more like 50-100 quests.

And then theres this:

So its WORSE then a guildleve. You dont get any exp or sp or drops, just the reward for the quest which i have no doubts will be worthless.

Yeah, i was expecting nice quests and things too until I really stopped to think about it.

I hope i'm wrong but I would bet money that i'm not.

Most people are just expecting XI caliber or better mini story side quests, just without the unnecessary vagueness or repetition of farming the same item to turn in over and over. Its obvious they didnt implement a huge amount of quests in this patch, but hopefully its a decent amount for a start. What reason do you have to not expect miniature cutscenes though? If they are supposed to shed light on the back story of Eorzea and connect events that occur in the main story missions...I dont think it would just be a single guildleve level text entry.

As far as the rewards go, i'm sure they wont just throw anything at you that isnt worthwhile for your rank. I'm not really worried about not getting exp or drops from quest enemies, since most XI monsters didnt do that, and we got along just fine with nice/useful rewards from the quests.

Also Aetherytes are not involved or at least there are no indications that show you need to visit one.

Teknoman

Another notable entry from Eorzepedia's interview:

There has been a lot of discussion about high level content, and some discussion of mid-level content as well (rank 25+). Will anything be added to lower levels to increase the playability at these levels?

A. Yoshida-san recognizes that low-level content is very important, but admitted that the current priority is high to mid-level content. He believes that not only is the high level content the most lacking, but its absence also means that there is nothing for low and mid-level players to look forward to. Immediately after addressing the high-level content, however, he will address low level content.

Yoshida-san went on to reveal his vision for low level content – which is mainly through quests. More specifically, for ranks 9-15 he envisions quests that will direct players to go to a specific dungeon (one per city-state). In these dungeons the players will congregate, form parties – and, most importantly, create memories. According to Yoshida-san, it is very important for players to have these memories of playing the early levels.

Teknoman

Emenis said:
Ouch, took me a couple minutes. lol

Download using another torrent app instead of the games built in one.

Could you do so with the default bittorent client? At this point i'm going to barrage Yoshi and his team with patch download suggestions. They should just offer a direct download as well.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
I dunno what that is... I got utorrent but need a torrent file.

Go here on your comp for the torrent.

C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647\metainfo

Edit: Bah :p, see you soon then .

Teknoman

Emenis said:

C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647\metainfo

Awesome its working with the standard bittorent client. ETA 8 minutes :)

Coldsnap

Emenis said:

Eh it's like frozen or stuck, where should I save it at in my bittorrent client? Somewhere in the FFXIV folder?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
Eh it's like frozen or stuck, where should I save it at in my bittorrent client? Somewhere in the FFXIV folder?

C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647\patch

TheFatOne

Emenis said:

Speaking of naming the new ls. Do the right thing and name it DDC. I can't wait for the maint to be over. Haven't been this excited for a patch in a while.

TheFatOne

Teknoman said:
Gonna upload the patch to mediafire for others to use.

EDIT: DDC?

The best name ever Daeds Dance Crew. Also WTF is this bullshit MP regenerates over time now. Fuck this bs I spent all day today getting syphon mp for no reason FML.

Coldsnap

dang, I think once I started downloading with their client I'm locked in. Because once utorrent had it downloaded I launched FFXIV and it went right back to my 60% download.

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
dang, I think once I started downloading with their client I'm locked in. Because once utorrent had it downloaded I launched FFXIV and it went right back to my 60% download.

Did you put the patch file you downloaded into FFXIV's patch folder? It should've spend 1-3 seconds "downloading" once you started up the client again, and then installed the patch.

I just used the metadata file Emenis pointed out, downloaded the patch to my desktop, and then dropped the patch into the right folder, overwriting the partially downloaded one.

Anyway, about 14 minutes or so until i'm finished uploading to mediafire, so I can just post the link here if you're still stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom