• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbiden

Teknoman said:
Wait until the battle system adjustments.

EDIT: Tomorrow the community floodgates open. Good luck everyone :p

I wonder how many "omg [insert game aspect here] sux" threads will be up within minutes of it opening.

I truly hope that people use the community forums for constructive feedback and not just to point out aspects of the game that are broken and troll about it. I do intend to make a post about them looking into the possibility of allowing gear change while in active mode or something. Macros and weapon skills were so much more funner in FFXI because you were allowed to change gear even when you had your weapon drawn.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They need to throw out almost all of their assets and completely rebuild the game world except the cities. (which are pretty damned cool) I don't see anything that drastic happening, though, no matter how small the active user base gets.

Allard

TAJ said:
They need to throw out almost all of their assets and completely rebuild the game world except the cities. (which are pretty damned cool) I don't see anything that drastic happening, though, no matter how small the active user base gets.

Don't think that's going to happen, all we can hope for is they take the criticism for future regions that are likely to open up. A small change they could do for the world is maybe make the various sub regions have different weather and different 'color' to make them feel different then the rest of the region. They are also planning to completely change mob distribution and pathing to make it both more dangerous and more locally complex (Roaming Beast Tribes and lower rank NM's. etc.) The only places I really want them to change the 'assets' of the world is the areas near the zonelines. The change between Gridania and Thanalan is pretty jarring to say the least. Plant some trees and foliage in Thanalan near Gridania line, and maybe less foliage near Thanalan line with a little vista of a canyon region or something.

Forbiden

TAJ said:

I don't think it has to do at all with active/total userbase, but on the fact that it would take them a lot of time, effort, and money to rework all of the games assets from scratch. I think that most zones(except for Thanalan...damn you "new Gustaberg") are pretty good looking. The problem is that there is not much to do in them. For example, Coerthas has got to be my favorite zone in the game. But it's so god damn big, and there is next to nothing to do there right now, sans a couple of Faction Leves, killing the Peiste NM, gathering, and looking at Ishgard from afar while hurting because they haven't allowed people in there yet.

To me, that's a big problem. I remember people complained that areas were too much copy/paste, but I personally don't mind that, so long as there is stuff to do in those large areas. So long as they can keep pumping out interesting content, then I don't really see why a huge rework of the game should be necessary in terms of graphical assets(since I'm assuming that's what you're talking about).

Teknoman

Forbiden said:
I don't think it has to do at all with active/total userbase, but on the fact that it would take them a lot of time, effort, and money to rework all of the games assets from scratch. I think that most zones(except for Thanalan...damn you "new Gustaberg") are pretty good looking. The problem is that there is not much to do in them. For example, Coerthas has got to be my favorite zone in the game. But it's so god damn big, and there is next to nothing to do there right now, sans a couple of Faction Leves, killing the Peiste NM, gathering, and looking at Ishgard from afar while hurting because they haven't allowed people in there yet.

To me, that's a big problem. I remember people complained that areas were too much copy/paste, but I personally don't mind that, so long as there is stuff to do in those large areas. So long as they can keep pumping out interesting content, then I don't really see why a huge rework of the game should be necessary in terms of graphical assets(since I'm assuming that's what you're talking about).

My thoughts exactly. Besides, cant they just add new building models on top of the existing environmental assets, implement that into the storyline, saying the residents of Eorzea are fortifying the surrounding areas with outposts and whatnot, due to the impending danger.

Forbiden

Teknoman said:
My thoughts exactly. Besides, cant they just add new building models on top of the existing environmental assets, implement that into the storyline, saying the residents of Eorzea are fortifying the surrounding areas with outposts and whatnot, due to the impending danger.

I know for a fact there are already several little "buildings" or whatever you want to call them in Coerthas. You can see them when you are running up to ishgard. Then there are also all thsoe castle-type structures in several of the areas that are left unused(i sometimes still dream of a epic dragon fight in one of those). Could they add more structures? Yes. But I'd rather see them do something with the existing ones than start adding new ones. The one thing you do mention that would be rather nice is Outposts....that would be a nifty addition to the areas, and perhaps they could do Outpost Warps like in FFXI

Teknoman

Forbiden said:
I know for a fact there are already several little "buildings" or whatever you want to call them in Coerthas. You can see them when you are running up to ishgard. Then there are also all thsoe castle-type structures in several of the areas that are left unused(i sometimes still dream of a epic dragon fight in one of those). Could they add more structures? Yes. But I'd rather see them do something with the existing ones than start adding new ones. The one thing you do mention that would be rather nice is Outposts....that would be a nifty addition to the areas, and perhaps they could do Outpost Warps like in FFXI

Well first I guess they should flesh out the hamlets around the region.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Unsuccess. Try to check out the FF XIV forums, try to log in with my S-E account, and

No beef after several attempts.

I know its alot later, but working fine now.

EDIT: XIVcore interview -

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/30254-ffxivcore-exclusive-naoki-yoshida-interview/

Sections of note:

If you take out the physical level system, do you plan on adding ability trees, sphere grid, licence grid, etc type systems (Final Fantasy spin on classic MMO character building) that will still allow us to build out our classes as we please? If so, what are your thoughts, if not, what are your thoughts on the whole physical leveling system in FFXIV?

We're not looking to copy what other MMOs are doing. But we are looking to move in that direction, and right now the battle team has two options that they're thinking of. And basically, they're battling against which one they're going to choose. We're going to be moving in a similar direction, but it's not something that copies another game.

And with that, we want to get back to the roots of the original Final Fantasyesque jobs like Dragoons and White Mages. So we're trying to figure out how to get that to that new type of system.

Once parties are limited to a max of 8 players, any thoughts on an alliance system that will allow multiple parties to join up together as one large party to take on really big mobs?

In the past the communities that were playing each game were a lot bigger, and so you could have a lot of people there. And now that the community sizes are smaller, we want to concentrate a little bit more on smaller party sizes, and so starting off with regular content that you can do with 4 players--making that our base. Then making bigger type of battles that you need to think about, "Ok how are we going to defeat this," and make that the 8-player party.

The 8-player party is currently what you would think of as an 'Alliance' with normal parties being 4. Then once we have enough content to support that, we'll start considering adding content that requires more players. Right now it's 4 and 8, that's what we're aiming for.

What exactly does "Optimization of enemy size for ease of play" mean? On one lodestone site it refers to monster scale while others can be interpreted as monster party size, can you go into further detail?

First of all, you've noticed that the monsters are all very beautifully designed. It's taken a lot of time, a lot of detail has gone into them. But the models are really small--you get out there and it's this little tiny rat. Making the monsters bigger so the players can get a better look at these really good designs. So by scaling it up in size, it actually means the monsters bigger in size.

And also, you're out there fighting stuff, and you're this great big warrior fighting this little tiny rat. It's not as epic as fighting something bigger. But also it will make the monsters easier to target. Right now you usually have to target their name due to how small they are.

Forbiden

What are you guys doing to level up after the patch? I used to be doing Doblyns in Copperbell Mines, but these punks now have more HP and are a bit tougher to kill than they were before. Im only rank 36 but even then, getting 59,000 Skill points from monsters that only give 150~ is going to be a long grind unless I can find something better. =/

Moobabe

Is this still F2P? A friend of mine is thinking of buying it on Amazon but wants to know when/if the monthly fees start up again.

Darte

Yea still is F2P. There is no time estimate given by devs as to when they will start charging but most people think it could occur as early as summer or winter depending on the quality of the updates being pushed out.

Personally I think they'll start charging once they ship the PS3 version if anything.

Moobabe

Darte said:
Yea still is F2P. There is no time estimate given by devs as to when they will start charging but most people think it could occur as early as summer or winter depending on the quality of the updates being pushed out.

Personally I think they'll start charging once they ship the PS3 version if anything.

Winter? I might jump in if that's the case :p

Teknoman

Forbiden said:
What are you guys doing to level up after the patch? I used to be doing Doblyns in Copperbell Mines, but these punks now have more HP and are a bit tougher to kill than they were before. Im only rank 36 but even then, getting 59,000 Skill points from monsters that only give 150~ is going to be a long grind unless I can find something better. =/

Not that high, but leves, behests, and party fighting through dungeons ( beat up everything you can).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26311527&postcount=7565

Do that, and find 3 other ppl to do the same thing with you. You'll get at least 70k SP per leve reset.

Cmagus

Forbiden said:
Thanks. Just to be "clear" or something, when you get to the last objective you return to the Crystal/Gate to abandon the leve or you simply let time run out to fail it?

Go back to the crystal and abandon it so that the rest can finish in the group who don't have it linked.

DrDogg

I'm really hoping that once all of the major tweaks are in, people start partying outside of leves more. Even if combat is fixed so that it's more fun (for me), it's like I have nothing to do if leves haven't reset.

Right now I do behests every hour, but those are pretty boring. I'd like to be able to get a grind party going without being forced to do leves if I want decent SP.

I'm also not liking the new targeting options since I can't seem to lock the option. It's more annoying than the previous system.

Forbiden

Cmagus said:
well all I know if they plan on doing this I best get my ass to 50

Same. I was only able to get one Leve last night, the one with the Hyenas and the Peistes, but it's far better than anything that I was doing. That one leve + a Behest in Broken Water netted me 30k~ in about 45 minutes of playtime. Im having a hard time comparing this to killing Doblyns pre-patch, but this is for sure the way Im going to be leveling for a while.

Cmagus

Generally for the group I have been running the BW leves with generally one initiates and two link and we generally get about 3 good runs on dunesfolk and ranine.So far I have managed a level and a half per reset doing this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:
Same. I was only able to get one Leve last night, the one with the Hyenas and the Peistes, but it's far better than anything that I was doing. That one leve + a Behest in Broken Water netted me 30k~ in about 45 minutes of playtime. Im having a hard time comparing this to killing Doblyns pre-patch, but this is for sure the way Im going to be leveling for a while.
Also, make the star level high enough so that the mobs rank is at least 10 ranks higher than you. You don't get any additional SP for fighting mobs who have a rank more than 10 leves higher than you.

So at rank 20, you should do levinshower on one star, then from rank 21 to 26, 2 stars, from rank 26 to 31 3 stars, etc.

check the chart at the bottom of this post.

http://kanican.livejournal.com/52445.html

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8063/sp27.jpg

Forbiden

I have to say that the Slugs in Necrologos: Inferno are full of shit. At least twice did the two of them start with that one move that deals like 500 damage to me....what a load of crap.

Either way, many thanks for the info. It's actually made me want to actively play the game as opposed to sporadically =/

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:
I have to say that the Slugs in Necrologos: Inferno are full of shit. At least twice did the two of them start with that one move that deals like 500 damage to me....what a load of crap.

Either way, many thanks for the info. It's actually made me want to actively play the game as opposed to sporadically =/
lol what rank are you? If you're trying to solo them I wouldn't recommend it until somewhere in your mid to late 20s.

I was just duoing that leve as a rank 22 archer and a rank 22 thaumaturge no problem.

Oh, and all slugs have a proximity move, even when idle, so approach carefully. If you see it charging up, back off, wait till it jizzes itself, then engage.

Rentahamster said:
Oh, and all slugs have a proximity move, even when idle, so approach carefully. If you see it charging up, back off, wait till it jizzes itself, then engage.

You're just about the rank where you'll be going into Cassiopeia Hollow for the first time. Those Sea Hares you will see in the tunnel on your way down and inside also do a random AoE attack which does a ton of damage and also prevents use of skills ("Amnesia"). The first time is always funny unless you get killed and you were bound somewhere very far away, then it's not as funny.

Forbiden

Cmagus said:
what server are you on? are you in the LS? if so what rank I am in my 30's and will gladly run leves or duo

Im on Mysidia, since that's where all of my FFXI shell decided to go. Saddly all but one person quit the game within days, so Im left to fend for myself until they decide to start playing agian.

lol what rank are you? If you're trying to solo them I wouldn't recommend it until somewhere in your mid to late 20s.

I was just duoing that leve as a rank 22 archer and a rank 22 thaumaturge no problem.

I tried it on Gladiator 36, but I did it at 4 stars solo.

And yeah, that move is the one I was talking about. It seems pretty random when they do it, but twice, as soon as I drew my weapon, both of the slugs charged up and did their thing. 530~ damage each one even with Defender up...so by the time I was actually able to deal any sort of damage, I was already 1/3~ dead.

Darte

hmmm I can't confirm this as this is coming from someone posting on the boards but apparently they are thinking about zone redesigns due to the overwhelming response to copy+paste terrains topics under the JP boards.

This was posted by Yoshi-P in the JP boards if someone can translate to English:

プロデューサ/ディレクタの吉田です。

皆さん、MAPについての問題提起ありがとうございます。
皆さん同様に吉田もMAPの仕様について、強く危機意識があり、
莫大な作業量ではありますが、しっかり再設計に向けた計画を進めています。
ただし、既にご指摘いただいている通り、根本からの修正のためには、
お時間を頂いてしまうことになります。

そのため、現MAPのコリジョン緩和(段差/引っ掛かりの緩和)は地道に続け、
根本改修も長期的に計画という並行策で進めています。

Link to yoshi's post: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ペマップについてどう思いますか??p=19787&viewfull=1#post19787

A direct google translate yields:

Everyone, MAP Thank you for complaint.
Yoshida also like you to MAP's specifications, there is a strong sense of crisis,
There are an enormous amount of work is well advanced plans for redesign.
However, as already pointed out that Itadai in order to fundamentally fix the
You will get to give me a time.
Therefore, the current MAP collision mitigation (steps / Relaxation caught) is followed by steady,
In a parallel measure to promote the long term planning radical refurbishment.

-------------------

Interesting....that would be a lot of work :O

Munba said:
Yeah, there aslo a reply by Yoshi about a possible redesign of the 'collisions' on the maps and ground for a possible jump and climb:

I wasn't really expecting it, if true. Btw, they need a LOT of time to make it.. but it would be great.

That sounds pretty interesting. To me climbing seems to hold more promise than jumping. Idk why though.

Munba

Here is translation points, through Yoshi-P today posts (6 in total), by KiichiGotou from ZAM:

Here is some simple abstraction:
1. Thanks for your opinion.
2. The map WILL be totally redesigned especially for BLACK SHROUD. But before redesign, map team will try to relief the moving stress by tuning map collision rules.
3. About jump, his thinking is about to make characters "do not have to bound on earth so much". The considered implementation are: emotion, additional action during moving, and (as a result) passing some little obstacle. He also noticed that many people does not like WoW style "Jump Spamming" and complains about the Jump should belong to DRG for the sake of FinalFantasy tradition. He will take this opinion into consideration.
4. PvP. After the combat system being fixed he will begin to consider how to bring a PvP that matches the FF14 world. BUT THERE WILL BE NO PK.
5. Target circling system: Very more PAD user complains about it, he will make additional modification on next patch.

That's pretty nuts, I wonder if they'd actually go through with it.

I think we'll be wondering for a while still how far SE's top brass are willing to let them go to "fix" the game and get it on its feet for good. If they're actually allowing them to commit man hours to redesigning terrain, that's pretty shocking if you ask me.

Munba

That's a crazy task indeed. Maybe they need to suck in the ff14 dev. team some members from other teams lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Teknoman said:

It's doubtful that they could do that and still load the zones on PS3. (assuming PS3 is still happening) The whole reason for the copy-paste was to have big, pretty zones with acceptable memory footprint.

Expect the game to look less impressive in terms of detail, but have more variety and ultimately be more visually interesting if they actually do what they're talking about.

Allard

Lol Yoshi-P just posted a reply in broken English to tell everyone that the community reps are going to translate his comments soon.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In order to accomodate the PS3, I'd be willing to sacrifice the "seamless" world in favor of a more varied and interesting layout.

loading zones + interesting > seamless and boring IMO

If that's what we have to do to compromise, I'll take it.

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
In order to accomodate the PS3, I'd be willing to sacrifice the "seamless" world in favor of a more varied and interesting layout.

Agreed. In hindsight, zone lines in FFXI werent all that bad. They only got in the way when you were trying to chat and missed some lines of LS text.

Does DC Universe have zone transitions? With all the bad press it's already gotten I dunno how well received it would be if they switched it up and added between-zone loading, if it were a possibility at all.

Teknoman

Go Go Yoshi.

Rentahamster said:

Agreed. Also there needs to be more dungeon themes. I'll admit that some cave or mountain areas are better with just ambient effects, but Uematsu has always made great dungeon themes in the past. It would be criminal to prevent him from making some for XIV.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Go Go Yoshi.

Agreed. Also there needs to be more dungeon themes. I'll admit that some cave or mountain areas are better with just ambient effects, but Uematsu has always made great dungeon themes in the past. It would be criminal to prevent him from making some for XIV.
Yeah, like Mistbeard Cove, for example, has great swashbuckling music.

Munba

More dungeon music but also some outside areas without music, only with ambient sounds (like my loved la thein.. had a great atmosphere).

Munba

You can create any tag, like "music" or "dungeons" if you want (seen someone did it in japanese forum eheh) It's not a dev tag but it's something :0

Teknoman

Munba said:
You can create any tag, like "music" or "dungeons" if you want (seen someone did it in japanese forum eheh) It's not a dev tag but it's something :0

Really? I'll see if I can edit the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom