• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbiden

Im not sure if this was posted before, but after finding an NPC and obtaining a quest from him, it appears that you can only have 16 side quests active at a time.

Teknoman

Giant%20Matron.png

Giant%20Marmot.jpg

uh.png

Not my shot...but...

daaaaamn.jpg

This is awesome, and I cant wait for that one guy/girl that complains about increasing monster size.

Teknoman

Cmagus said:
sweet its up can someone link me to a download this downloader is going on forever

Gimme 5 minutes.

EDIT: There

http://www.mediafire.com/?z795zj5qzj1n7cq

Also someone reported that one of the sidequests to knock out a few dodos had something to do with mines...but no cutscenes :(

Of course some XI quests had no scenes, so maybe it's varied? Staying optimistic. If not now, then later, since Yoshi is trying to get a few more quests added with each patch, rather than dumping alot in at once.

Cmagus

Teknoman said:
Gimme 5 minutes.

EDIT: There

http://www.mediafire.com/?z795zj5qzj1n7cq

Also someone reported that one of the sidequests to knock out a few dodos had something to do with mines...but no cutscenes :(

Of course some XI quests had no scenes, so maybe it's varied? Staying optimistic. If not now, then later, since Yoshi is trying to get a few more quests added with each patch, rather than dumping alot in at once.

thanks

Munba

Can't find sidequests in uldah.. are they only high-level for now? I'm lv23.

edit: found it. I notice detailed story-text in this quest (an inconvenient dodo) at least.

Cathcart

Bleh, sidequests sound lame. No XP? I guess I'll wait until they decide to give low levels something to do besides just leves. The dungeon thing sounds neat. UI changes look nice, too.

Oh hey, what does this mean: "Multi-character collision has been removed entirely"? No slowing down when colliding with other players?

Edit: "After completing synthesis of an item requested by a local levequest, it is now possible to immediately begin synthesis of another of the same item without having to access the 'Requested Item' interface." Nice!

More edit: How about the chat interface? Is it possible to type more than ten characters before you have to hit enter now? What about during crafting? Do you lose your chat text every time you choose a new action?

Allard

The new quests are decent, basically just the standard early stuff you found all over the place in FFXI. The only problem I have is the quests are not instanced and the mobs for the quest don't have a special icon saying they won't give SP and EXP... this means if you are not aware a quest is there you might hit one of these mob and come away with no reward for killing them. Its an anti-griefing system forcing people to finish the quest and leave but its stupid how it was implemented. Hopefully when more quests are added they give us the ability to at least get SP and EXP off these.

But there is a lot of potential. You get about 3 quests a city if your highest rank is 20ish and I have heard as many as 6 quests total from people higher rank then me. (This is from Ul'dah fyi). The rewards are actually decent for the rank they are designed for and are great for newer people starting out... people that aren't starting out? Damn near useless outside of lore and most are in the lower ranking are just simple fetch quests or kill a certain amount of mobs. Still its progress, and im sure the director will hear about people complaining about the SP/EXP issue regarding these quest mobs in the future. The rest of the patch is awesome though. THe local leve changes and the auto-mp feature (It refreshes like hp regen, about 5 mp a tick running, 20+ standing) and the changes to the size of the monsters all make the game 'feel' different. Not really many/any mobs that are actually small anymore, the moles tower over my midlander lol.

Has anyone else been using the ffxikeys script? The one that swaps your key mappings in windows so that you can have arrow key camera like in ffxi? This update messes that up with the new targeting stuff. :(

Is there a fix anyone knows of?

Here's the ZAM thread for the script in question: http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1283565527214155787&page=1#m1299205310259037736

edit: figured it out. in case anyone cares, just remove the ~ before the 4 directional commands. Then I went ahead and mapped home, end, del, pgdn to my arrowkeys since I don't use those keys for their normal functions in game anyway.

Teknoman

Yeah the lower rank quests give great items for the required ranks, and are actually decent in making you explore certain areas of the world you may have never been to. Nothing with cutscenes so far, but most are those "personal problem" style quests like most of the standard quests in XI. They dont give SP, but they do give you a nice insight into some of the other npcs and areas...and I can see future quests being really detailed. Plus the enemies for the quests are plentiful/npcs give useful descriptions on where you might find the enemy.
The quest icons dont pop up unless you meet the reqs and are reasonably close to the npc
so no need to complain about the icons.

New targeting system is really nice, and its cool to actually have a mode that lets you restrict what you can and cant target when you want to. Easy to use with a gamepad, probably the same with a keyboard if LSchat and various parties are any indication.

Aggro indicator, really doesnt stand out that much, works well if you're paying attention, but people still get aggroed.

Fights really feel nice with larger enemies. Everything aside from reasonably large enemies (Piestes for instance) has been enlarged to a size fitting for a Final Fantasy monster. Maybe its just a placebo effect, but fights just feel that much more important when fighting a monster sized enemy.

So my verdict on the first March patch is this: Finally the "true" XIV is starting to take shape, and is pretty close to what it should've been day one. Sure, it took five months to get there, but finally under Yoshi-P's direction, I can see this turning out to be worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Especially if he manages to pack in a decent amount of content, fixes, and additions with each bi-weekly patch. With the forums opening on the 8th, and a true direct connection with the players and the staff, things can only get better from here.

Screenshots:

ig9sgo.jpg

2czrqjk.jpg

214ccx2.jpg

34imqlz.jpg

23qz1p5.jpg

16jota8.jpg

34qrdpz.jpg

sdptvc.jpg

5xrbbs.jpg

1zbfjgw.jpg

1enyu9.jpg

30ruot4.jpg

I think I am going to give this game another go tomorrow. Some of the updates sound really cool, and I sure as heck didn't expect the increase in monster size as part of it.

Teknoman

GrumpyAlien said:
I think I am going to give this game another go tomorrow. Some of the updates sound really cool, and I sure as heck didn't expect the increase in monster size as part of it.

Just keep the mindset that most of the sidequests implemented with this quest are pretty standard starter quests. They force the player to go to parts of the land they wouldnt normally visit, but arent very detailed aside from giving insight on that npc or certain citystate problems. Of course we dont have a full sidequest list yet either.

Emenis said:
GSC is almost full again (Too many inactives). Been thinking up new name with the others for another LS which I will be making soon probably.

I still think my idea for the new LS name is the best. "The Kawaii Catgirls" ^^

Babalu. said:
I think people are going to be seriously disappointed with the quests and how they've set them up.

I don't know what everyone was expecting, but I doubt that it will be implemented that way.

No cutscenes quests, no talking, no anything. Just a text bubble that says go kill 10 monsters that are attacking my invisible tomatoe garden. Then a long walk or teleport to the crystal to go do it. Then walk from the crystal to kill and then return. A text bubble that says here is your reward.

It will be the same thing as a guildleve except you get it from different people instead of at the desk. And then these are limited. I highly doubt they put in thousands of quests. Probably more like 50-100 quests.

And then theres this:

So its WORSE then a guildleve. You dont get any exp or sp or drops, just the reward for the quest which i have no doubts will be worthless.

Yeah, i was expecting nice quests and things too until I really stopped to think about it.

I hope i'm wrong but I would bet money that i'm not.

If you're expecting the game to change into "World of Eorzea", you might as well just keep playing WoW. Or Rift, since that game is a 100% perfectly identical WoW clone. You're never going to be able to level off of just sidequests the way you do in WoW. Well, I hope not anyways. If Squenix is dumb enough to make the game into "World of Eorzea" all the remaining players will quit and nobody else will sign up. Why would they, they already have a perfectly good WoW they can play instead of some half-assed clone like Rift is. I saw Rift on sale already at Newegg as a Daily Deal, that didn't take long. Even FFXIV didn't start going on sale until a few months after launch, as opposed to the week after.

Allard

If there is 'one' good thing about this update (and there is more then one) is that monster size increase finally shows off how truly intricate the mob models are in this game. Would never guess there was actually a fur texture on those damn moles till they became nearly the same size as me. And holy crap at that picture of the gnats o_O they were fairly big before but now they are REALLY intimidating looking.

Zalasta

The increased size of mobs will continue to freak me out for a while, especially since everything is much bigger than my character.

The streamlined interface for crafting leve items was a stroke of genius, really cuts down on the time significantly. The increased number of appropriate leves to take is great as well, I can't remember the last time I had more than 8 I wanted to pick up. The new menu for selecting leves needs to be improved, however. They either have to indicate the number of leves available at each rank (1, 20 or 40) or simply not show it in the menu if there are no leves available for that rank. I also don't understand why group the 30's with the 20's instead of having its own place on the list. I'm not surprised at the decreased SP/XP gain from crafting leves, actually I had called for it, at least when crafting recipes higher than your current rank. Unfortunately, it had affected lower recipes too. For example, I thought a rank 30 leathercraft leve would at least give me ~200 per attempt @39, but after the patch it was reduced to ~100. So it's no longer worth it to pick up leves more than 4 ranks lower.

Not too sure about the targeting change yet, I think it should work well but at the moment I'm not used to checking the mode I'm in (since it's very easy to switch it unknowingly on a controller), so sometimes I will find myself unable to target enemies and it would take me like 5 seconds before I realize I was in the wrong mode. I do believe they need to implement a slash command to toggle the modes, that way it'll work with macro since you can't use the up/down arrow to do that while your action/hotbar is active. I need to be able to change mode easily while in battle.

I think people need to have the appropriate expectations in terms of the mini-quests. I feel that FF in general was never a quest heavy series, and the fact is they had a really small development time for these new quests so don't think it will be game changing or anything like that. Anyway, I don't like how the rewards are common craftable items, because since everyone can do them, the market for them will essentially become useless.

All in all I think it was a good patch.

*Oh, forgot to mention I love the reduced timer on the "quick" ability for Disciples of Land, it's like a indefinite dash button as long as you're out of range of nodes. Not to mention Triangulate/Prospect/Dowse no longer share the same timers. A really nice boon to someone who leveled up gathering jobs like I did.

There is a sidequest in Ul'dah called "An Inconvenient Dodo", you get it from an NPC standing outside the Gladiators' Guild. As you might guess from the name, the whole thing is a reference to Al Gore and his famous documentary film. I suggest reading the walls of text as it is pretty funny and you get to slaughter a bunch of now mysteriously gigantic dodos.

Cmagus

A really good update lots of nice things.I agree the increased monster sizes look weird some look kind of dumb though and unnecessary though.I like how they added the target specific stuff feature got so annoying in battle especially behests trying to go through all people and monsters to target a specific one.

Unknown Soldier said:
There is a sidequest in Ul'dah called "An Inconvenient Dodo", you get it from an NPC standing outside the Gladiators' Guild. As you might guess from the name, the whole thing is a reference to Al Gore and his famous documentary film. I suggest reading the walls of text as it is pretty funny and you get to slaughter a bunch of now mysteriously gigantic dodos.

This is pretty much what I wanted. It sounds silly, but I don't even care if the sidequests are just typical fetchquests and kill-lists. They just need to have a reason for being, with the same charm, humour and tenderness that a lot of FFXI's quests had.

Cmagus

Well it breaks up the gameplay alot which is nice.The quests are good to have now I personally like the idea of doing some leves then having some quests to do on the way to the next leve type thing breaks things up nicely.At least its something for those long ass runs I rather be doing something on the way then just running somewhere.

Teknoman

It shouldnt kill the market for the items, since you can only do certain side quests once.

Well at least thats how it seemed, unless they reset later as well.

Riposte

My preference: the more in-setting a (LS) name is the better. But I don't really care.

Can anyone list the quests they have found? Also do they only pop up if you hit a certain rank? I've only found the one in Ul'Dah Colosseum

Teknoman

Darte said:
So sorry to interrupt your leve but have you heard the good word about Halone?

lol

:p pretty much. Whats funny is that I was just rotating my camera and then BAM. They actually move kinda creepy now...not like cartoony cacti, but like Silent Hill enemies. Standing unnaturally still, and then moving around with a stiff mannequin like walk.

Riposte said:
My preference: the more in-setting a (LS) name is the better. But I don't really care.

Can anyone list the quests they have found? Also do they only pop up if you hit a certain rank? I've only found the one in Ul'Dah Colosseum

Seems that way.

EDIT: Really like the resizes if only for the fact they remind me of past FF games:

Ladybug_%28FFXI%29.png

Rabbit_1_%28FFXI%29.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_jI6Arhi0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl05JRiAq9Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXm1up1aJc0

Some people on other forums are making it seem like a bad decision to increase the size of the marmots as well, citing them as just being regular wildlife. If it was meant to be a normal part of the wildlife, it probably wouldnt be attackable. Besides, gigabunnies from XI were no different.

Allard said:
If there is 'one' good thing about this update (and there is more then one) is that monster size increase finally shows off how truly intricate the mob models are in this game. Would never guess there was actually a fur texture on those damn moles till they became nearly the same size as me. And holy crap at that picture of the gnats o_O they were fairly big before but now they are REALLY intimidating looking.

So true. I played about 20 mins last night and it really added a lot to the experience. I know its only aesthetics, but it did make fighting some of the smaller enemies seem more exciting. Even though its probably all in my mind.

I think I do want to give this game more of a chance though. Which means I am going to have to buckle up and actually learn the crafting system. I don't think my stupid bunny rabbit samurai hat I bought is gonna cut it in the end.

Teknoman

This just in from ZAM:

It seems that having completed all of the quests I could find last night, todays server "reset" (like in ffxi) opened up some new quests.

Just a heads up for everyone, there might be more than we initially thought.

Also new interview:

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=25503

Sections of note:

ZAM: From your letters and patches, the battle system appears to be a high priority for you and your team. What is your overall vision for the battle and party system in the game?

Yoshida: The main concept is in two parts. The first one is to have fun in a party. The second is to have a defined role as a class. Those are the two things. It's all based around that party play and having fun in the party, as well as having a defined role as your class and not just being something that's kind of in between everything. The rest of the battle system is based off of those two main points.

We understand that for a lot of players it can be stressful trying to get a party together. So we've decided to break up that party system into two different parts. One with the base of 4-player parties, which in a sense will be easier to get together than a 6-person party in Final Fantasy XI, and having content based around 4-player parties.

So you'll get a party of four and then have lots of stuff to do with just those four players. But we'll also have the 8-player parties and have high-level content for players that want to spend the time to get a lot of people together and do these battles that are going to take planning. They're going to say, “OK, we need these types of classes and do this type of battle to win.” It's the two-part design to having stuff for both the players who don't want to spend a lot of time and the hardcore players who really want to get into it.

ZAM: How do expect all of this to be implemented? Will it be rolled out over many updates, or will one major patch introduce these battle system changes?

Yoshida: Concerning battle, it would probably be too difficult to release battle-related patches in the short spans because we are having patches every two weeks or month. Instead of trying to release little bits of the battle system every two weeks or month, we've made the battle implementation a two-month span. In two months, the battle team will work on a lot of different things. When the patch comes, you'll get two months worth of stuff in that one big patch. In between, other patches will be released. But we want to make it a two-month span for the battle stuff.

ZAM: Do you have an estimated time frame of when players can expect to see that battle patch?

Yoshida: Right now we're working on a high-end dungeon for hardcore players. We want to have the battle changes ready for when that's released. I can't give you an exact date, but I can tell you it will be sometime in the spring. When the dungeon is released, a bunch of battle changes will also come with it.

In the published list of the battle stuff we're planning on implementing, we hope to have pretty much most of that done sometime in the spring. In the spring you'll be getting that high-end dungeon and the first round of battle changes. Not everything, but the first round. You can't just change the rules overnight.

There's a lot of stuff that has to change, especially with reassessing all of the attributes and actions of all the classes and rebalancing and adjusting stuff with the armory system. It's going to take a lot of time. But that first big change will come in the spring with the new dungeon.

Riposte

Yoshi P sounds hilarious, what with the possibility he would spend the entire day posting on forums. I bet he is the kind of guy who would get banned from NeoGAF if someone trollbaited him.

So Companies... sound like a war is going to open up in the setting. We going to make one?

Salaadin

Riposte said:
Yoshi P sounds hilarious, what with the possibility he would spend the entire day posting on forums. I bet he is the kind of guy who would get banned from NeoGAF if someone trollbaited him.

Lol, he kills me sometimes in his Letters from the Producer.

When the optimal class or optimal rank for a piece of equipped gear is met, that item's condition will deteriorate at a reduced rate. If both values are met, the deterioration rate will be slowed even further.
The condition (%) at which a piece of gear inflicts a player with the Gear Damage status has been reduced from 50% to 35%.
Change I can believe in!

After completing synthesis of an item requested by a local levequest, it is now possible to immediately begin synthesis of another of the same item without having to access the "Requested Item" interface.
Good change. Now they need to allow you to do the same for creating multiple of the same item that's not part of a local levequest. Way too much of a timewaster for simple grinding.
*Finish item*
*Recipes*
*This recipe*
*Yes, I confirm that I want this recipe that I have these items for*
*OK, these items are correctly selected*
*YES, now among these choices I want to make the item I selected 3 steps ago*
*Start*
Retainers can now be summoned even when placed in other locations.
Yay. Now they're actually useful when away from home.

Jinko

Logged in for a bit today, quite kool update.

Can't say I like that everything is stupidly big now, stuff like squirrels. ladybugs ... (oh yea and crabs!!) shoudln't be bigger than a Lalafell.

Bring back the little blue snippers ;.;.

And those Gnats looks ridiculously big now. (maybe in a good way though, I can't decide)

Good change. Now they need to allow you to do the same for creating multiple of the same item that's not part of a local levequest. Way too much of a timewaster for simple grinding.

I would like to see them allow you to choose how many you want to make prior to crafting, crafting time would encrease depending on the amount you wish to create.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
We are not an RP guild and Lindblum is not an RP server. The name should be cool and that's it.

It doesnt have to be something RP sounding, but I think it should at least make sense/ fit with our LS play style...or something.

I dunno, since I like names like Crystal Guardians, Saber's Edge, Defiers of Fate (heh XIII song names) or Zodiac Braves. Gunsmith Cats doesnt sound bad at all ( I know its from an anime...right?) so kinda sucks that we dont have decent LS management systems now.

Unknown Soldier said:
Well, a 50 THM soloed Dodore. I guess we can all quit the game now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KazOD98mqr4

This guy was 50THM/50CON when he did this. The key is apparently (Emulate), a skill that Squenix will probably move to the top of the nerf list now that someone has soloed Dodore with it. THM is a pretty impressively broken class, it's too bad this guy didn't get to solo Morbol with his THM before they nerfed (Punishing Barbs) and (Firm Conviction) in November.

I wonder whatever happened to Treitei Firnas, that guy hit 50THM/50CON before he quit a few months back. He could probably do this if he watched the video and read up on the tactics used and practiced a few times.

Just checked his stats and they are very interesting.

STR: 12
VIT: 174
DEX: 15
INT: 17
MND: 100
PIE: 80

All elements at 84

So it seems as if he made sure he had his accuracy, life, defenses and MP up but sacrificed magical power to do so. I guess thats what it takes to be a good THM, but I don't know if he could have solo'd like that as a CON.

DrDogg

I haven't been motivated to play at all, even after the last two patches, but I will be online today. I think it's time to make a return to daily grinding, but I'll see how things go when I log in after I make lunch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And here we go with another 10 minute game crash.....

staticneuron said:

All elements at 84

So it seems as if he made sure he had his accuracy, life, defenses and MP up but sacrificed magical power to do so. I guess thats what it takes to be a good THM, but I don't know if he could have solo'd like that as a CON.
Well, the main point in taking PIE to 80 was for increased Siphon MP potency, not accuracy. PIE is supposed to help accuracy, and it does a little, but the effect of stacking PIE is not worth the effort. Same with INT - there's not that much benefit in stacking INT.

Pumping VIT has the most bang for the buck since there is a direct, noticible impact in having more HP. It's just like Diablo II where VIT was the most important stat.

SE needs to balance this out so that increasing the other stats is just as beneficial to your char as pumping VIT - this will give an increased amount of choices to the player.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Note about leves for Cmagus:

The best leves in the game for SP are:

Camp Broken Water:

Dunesfolk for Dinner
Ranine Reveries
All Cracked Up

Nophica Wells:

Necrologos: Levinshower

Cass. Hollow

Necrologos: Inferno

Cedarwood:

Necrologos: Lightsome Verdue

The trick is to get those leves, do em, and then fail em at the end so that you have em again next reset.

Then, say you are eligible to get one of those leves again. Well, just do it once, since you still have it last time due to failing it, then complete the leve, then go back to the adv. guild and pick it up again, then do it again, then fail it so you'll save it for the next leve reset.

Moobabe

staticneuron said:

All elements at 84

Is that video of the hardest mob/boss in the game? It looks properly boring :S

I'm still hesitant to jump back on this - I enjoyed the beta but after running about all 5(?) zones I felt a little disappointed. I think Tekno mentioned that these new quests take you to parts of the zones that you wouldn't normally go to - what are those parts like? I know it's flogging a dead horse, and I'm not intentionally being down on the game and, perhaps, had I spent more time with it I would know, but aren't the zones almost identical from one side to the other? The biggest draw of an mmo to me is the exploration - I couldn't care about the size of the mobs, the SP/EXP gains, the combat, the synthesis (though that was annoying) but, more than anything else, I felt like I'd "seen" everything the game had to offer.

I'd love to be told I'm wrong - I've been keeping an eye on the patch notes and reading the discussion intently - but I need convincing.

DrDogg

Does anyone know how to lock the targeting option? Up and down changes your targeting selection, but I generally use that to actually select my target. That becomes problematic when I want to select a party member with up/down, but my targeting option changes to "enemy" when I hit down and I have to tap down again to get it to something else so I can select my party member.

I tried using "c" on the keyboard, but I could still use up/down to change the targeting option. Any help?

In other news, I like a lot of the changes, but it's still tough for me to find entertainment in the game with the battle system unchanged. Quests just aren't enough for me. I'd like to get my classes higher before the class-specific changes, but I don't know how much I'll be online until battle changes are put in place. :(

TheFatOne

DrDogg said:
Does anyone know how to lock the targeting option? Up and down changes your targeting selection, but I generally use that to actually select my target. That becomes problematic when I want to select a party member with up/down, but my targeting option changes to "enemy" when I hit down and I have to tap down again to get it to something else so I can select my party member.

I tried using "c" on the keyboard, but I could still use up/down to change the targeting option. Any help?

In other news, I like a lot of the changes, but it's still tough for me to find entertainment in the game with the battle system unchanged. Quests just aren't enough for me. I'd like to get my classes higher before the class-specific changes, but I don't know how much I'll be online until battle changes are put in place. :(

If I were in your situation Dogg I would just do battle leves. Good sp and you get them every 36 hours so you won't have to play every day. Over time you would level up.

Rentahamster said:
And here we go with another 10 minute game crash.....

Well, the main point in taking PIE to 80 was for increased Siphon MP potency, not accuracy. PIE is supposed to help accuracy, and it does a little, but the effect of stacking PIE is not worth the effort. Same with INT - there's not that much benefit in stacking INT.

Pumping VIT has the most bang for the buck since there is a direct, noticible impact in having more HP. It's just like Diablo II where VIT was the most important stat.

SE needs to balance this out so that increasing the other stats is just as beneficial to your char as pumping VIT - this will give an increased amount of choices to the player.

Wow, So am I wasting my points getting INT and PIE up? I only play THM/CON and mainly solo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Posted a little review with my thoughts of the new patch. I think i'll try to use the blog function more to criticize (and praise) this game hehehehe

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/diary/entry?e=150906

staticneuron said:
Wow, So am I wasting my points getting INT and PIE up? I only play THM/CON and mainly solo.

Kinda sorta. I mean, they are useful stats, but not as useful as more HP, especially if you're playing solo and the mobs are only hitting you.

Munba

I think the aggro symbol should be active, on a particular monster, only after you 'encountered' that particular mob. If not it kills the surprise effect imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom