• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What level are you? I'm the same way as a healer, but as you level up you get powers and run into situations where you are going to have to mitigate enmity a bit more, so it's good to be aware.

only 19.. about a hair away from 20.

Brohan

Hey guys, me and a mate of mine have just purchased ffxiv for the ps4 and are wondering which EU server would be good / smart to join? Thx.

King_Moc

Banned
Any tips for Atmas? Or is it really just blind luck? The Japanese time thing isn't doing shit for me so far.

Japanese thing doesn't work, i went for a whole hour on two of them during japanese time and got nothing. work I got three of mine within 3 fates of logging in on a new day, but i'm certain it was just luck. A couple took me 6 or 7 hours each.

Make sure your inventory has open slots. I missed an item on one fate as I was full...

Hey guys, me and a mate of mine have just purchased ffxiv for the ps4 and are wondering which EU server would be good / smart to join? Thx.

I think Ragnarok was the server EU gaf chose at launch. You might wanna double check how many members they have though. Ultros has nearly 500 members and has 48 on right at this moment, which is primetime for EU.

borghe

Is there any reason to pick up the PS3 or Steam versions if I have the PS4 client?

if you find yourself wanting to play on either of those at some point.

For me, it's just as trivial to move my PS4 to a different TV as one of those. My monitor doesn't have HDMI-in though so I've thought about buying a cheap sale copy of the PC client if I ever want to play on that though.

edit - maybe if you want the digital CE... that's more likely to go on sale on one of those two platforms before the "just released this week" PS4 version.

Frazley

if you find yourself wanting to play on either of those at some point.

For me, it's just as trivial to move my PS4 to a different TV as one of those. My monitor doesn't have HDMI-in though so I've thought about buying a cheap sale copy of the PC client if I ever want to play on that though.

edit - maybe if you want the digital CE... that's more likely to go on sale on one of those two platforms before the "just released this week" PS4 version.
I already bought the PS4 CE ;). Thanks, I will stick with the PS4 because I realized FFXIV only works on PC not Mac and I don't need the PS3 client really.

A couple of questions before I head out to get a PS4 and this...

I already have the PS3 version. Will I have to buy the physical disk of the PS4 version?

Was the small text size issue ever resolved? Or is it still the same as I heard about on the Beta?

Edit: NM I got it.

Mairu

We had two wipes at less than 1% last night on T8. That was brutal. Our last attempt of the night was nearly perfect, up until two people got hit with 90k's at around 20-25%.

Oh well, we definitely should down it tonight.

Femto.

Yes, when you're register the PS4 version just select already have an account and input the details.
Sweet, thanks!

Edit: what does that mean for the character I had on PC though?? Or will my SE account just have two games registered under different platforms? (i.e. origin)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ahhhh.. ok, this was the second part of my post. So it creates a separate target frame for focus.. I'm guessing you get target of focus, casting bar, buff/debuff bar, etc?

Yeah as a CNJ for now basically I just want to see what the boss is casting, and maybe see my Aero expiring?
You got it. If you don't set the boss as the focus target, then you only get their animation as an indication for what's coming your way, because the only info you get when you're targeting a tank (who is targeting the boss), is the boss' health.

Interfectum

Gotta say, I haven't been this in love with an MMO since WoW back in 2004. Really enjoying pretty much everything about this game so far.

I've been needing a Final Fantasy fix for quite some time and this gives me that as well!

borghe

Gotta say, I haven't been this in love with an MMO since WoW back in 2004. Really enjoying pretty much everything about this game so far.

I've been needing a Final Fantasy fix for quite some time and this gives me that as well!

I love(d) WoW. But I love(d) WoW for being WoW. To me this makes me feel the wonder I felt back in the days of EQ-launch up through Kunark. Between the bit more serious presentation combined with the "you want us to hold your hand? FUCK YOU!" approach to the complexity of the system. So much depth here it's ridiculous, whereas WoW is a pretty straight line from starting zone to end game (albeit a quite amazing and lush straight line). Definitely one of the first MMORPGs I've played in a long time where they said "we're going to take what works from other popular games (WoW) but then do our own thing as well"

I'd put DCUO in there also for blazing its own way, but have to say this is objectively a better game just due to more content with a much more fleshed out world and more capable game engine.

I really am blown away by this. Also blown away with them pulling off controller support so wonderfully while not skimping on any of the class/ability/spell complexities.

Frazley

I love(d) WoW. But I love(d) WoW for being WoW. To me this makes me feel the wonder I felt back in the days of EQ-launch up through Kunark. Between the bit more serious presentation combined with the "you want us to hold your hand? FUCK YOU!" approach to the complexity of the system. So much depth here it's ridiculous, whereas WoW is a pretty straight line from starting zone to end game (albeit a quite amazing and lush straight line). Definitely one of the first MMORPGs I've played in a long time where they said "we're going to take what works from other popular games (WoW) but then do our own thing as well"

I'd put DCUO in there also for blazing its own way, but have to say this is objectively a better game just due to more content with a much more fleshed out world and more capable game engine.

I really am blown away by this. Also blown away with them pulling off controller support so wonderfully while not skimping on any of the class/ability/spell complexities.
Thanks for clarifying why I was in love with this game! :D

I feel the same way about it! Was weird looking at my minimap and forgetting that wasn't the WoW one.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

It will be interesting to see your opinion if/when you hit 50 and finish the campaign up.

borghe

oh.. is there a pro/con vs. grabbing another (unrelated) class for your character or starting a new character? I just realized that "hey, why would I level a Gladiator when I can just grab Gladiator on my CNJ" but then I was like "yeah... but new character/starter quests/aesthetic/whatever is always fun"

is there a general thought between one or the other?

It will be interesting to see your opinion if/when you hit 50 and finish the campaign up.

is it a pretty standard end game? Wildly different end game? Yeah I'm just speaking about the early and now mid-game for now. But now you have me curious if it keeps its own identity at the end game or if it slinks into the modern end game standards of like every MMORPG out there.

for reference I've done a ton of raiding in WoW (Vanilla, Cata and MoP heroics) and raided hardmode launch SWTOR.

Ken

oh.. is there a pro/con vs. grabbing another (unrelated) class for your character or starting a new character? I just realized that "hey, why would I level a Gladiator when I can just grab Gladiator on my CNJ" but then I was like "yeah... but new character/starter quests/aesthetic/whatever is always fun"

is it a pretty standard end game? Wildly different end game? Yeah I'm just speaking about the early and now mid-game for now. But now you have me curious if it keeps its own identity at the end game or if it slinks into the modern end game standards of like every MMORPG out there.

shhh no cons only pros

You have zero reason aside from endgame lockouts to have a secondary character instead of just doing the class. You can freely level up all classes and you'll get to do all the class quests.

The cons would be you'll be wasting time when related to your main class, but you can always switch on the fly so having multiple jobs at 50 is pretty fun.

Okay, I think I'm ready to bite. I'm hovering over the purchase button on the PS4 right now. Before I click X, I'd like to ask a few noob questions, and make sure I know what I need to know to begin playing :)

GAF is on Ultros on PS4, so that's what I'm joining. Will there be a free "clan (company?)," or are they all full up?

What class is the most beginner-friendly? I've never played an MMO other than GW2, which only requires a few skill inputs (6, i think), so it's going to be a rough transition to using over 16.

Lastly, are the CE bonuses worth it?

Thanks for being patient with me :)

borghe

The cons would be you'll be wasting time when related to your main class,
but this is true of any game. It's why I have a Demon Hunter in D3 stuck at 40. Because why play her when I can grab paragon levels on my WD? :(

Thanks!!

Lastly, are the CE bonuses worth it?

There are multiple servers in the OP.. but yeah Ultros is pretty busy.. both the server the the FC.

Honestly I don't really think the bonuses are worth it. but I also don't have mounts yet. The fat chocobo definitely has charm, but $20 worth? I only have it because I bought the PS3 version on the PSN xmas sale a few months back.

I'd almost be more inclined to buy the physical release. That actually looks worth it.

SkylineRKR

lol, I was constantly smacking bombs until someone shouted I should leave them alone. There are no indications or whatever, and I had to smack them for explosive shards before.. so.. but its great fun anyway.

Why is the Leve quest music so awesome btw?

but this is true of any game. It's why I have a Demon Hunter in D3 stuck at 40. Because why play her when I can grab paragon levels on my WD? :(

Thanks!!
Not all classes are a waste though thanks to cross class skills. For example, getting Thaumaturge to level 26 is extremely important for healers since you get access to Swiftcast, same for Bards and Monks, you want 34 levels in Lancer to get access to Blood for Blood, and so on.

Look up which cross class skills your job can use and work on that.

borghe

Not all classes are a waste though thanks to cross class skills. For example, getting Thaumaturge to level 26 is extremely important for healers since you get access to Swiftcast, same for Bards and Monks, you want 34 levels in Lancer to get access to Blood for Blood, and so on.

Look up which cross class skills your job can use and work on that.

do passives apply to whatever job/class you're in?

edit -ahhhh.........

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

for reference I've done a ton of raiding in WoW (Vanilla, Cata and MoP heroics) and raided hardmode launch SWTOR.

Nah man. Enjoy the ride. It's awesome. I just like hearing opinions at the beginning and then at the "end." Mine, for example, changed a lot.

For example, I'm enjoying the hell out of ESO but I've only lvl 10. It will change 10 times over during my time with it. =)

Kenai

I can't think of anything that isn't something that's been done before. You'll be going after lewts and progressing the story doing endgame stuff. Some of it is very difficult to clear without a static or people who have cleared it before, which can put some people off, and others can get bored by the grind because they don't want to do it (don't let anyone tell you there's "nothing to do" tho, there's LOTS to do, but one finds it fun/not fun depending on their tastes).

For example, my play days consist of the DF Roulettes for tomes (think WoW Daily Dungeons), gathering stuff to craft via Botany 2 star nodes + whatever else lower level might be selling, beastman dailies, and leveling other classes not at 50 via burning a few of my levels so they don't max out. Depending on my mood, I focus more on burning more leves, grinding more tomes for my next Animus book if I'm close (think JP/VP here), work on said book, help FC members with DF Primals/story, or do Coil if it's a raid night for my static (we really want to down Turn 6!).

There's a lot of things I'd be able to do if I had more classes at 50 or played more often as well, but I like to go more at my own pace.cause it really can be a grind and I don't want any particular aspect of it burning me out.

A little off-topic, but has anyone used the mumble iPhone app? How does it work? I have a few friends on the PS3 and I'm on the PS4 and I was wondering if we could chat on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom