• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

Fought my first primal (Ifrit) last night. Really liked the fight, though it took my party several times because we'd always be one last hit away from finishing off that damn nail. I was disappointed that I didn't receive any loot or XP for the fight though... Took this shot with the share button that I really liked.
igJenhuxQ3mGJ.jpg

Also; I've done three different dungeons (one twice for the xp and loot) and so far I'm the only person that has used the limit break.

the story mode primals don't give any loot
hard mode onwards, each do

Question on cross class abilities:

Or do I have to be above level 34 with my WHM before I can use a level 34 ACN skill?

no

Frazley

Stats vary a bit when you switch classes. Hunting logs are unique to classes. This is a good thing because it's easy exp.
That's good to know. I will stick with one character because otherwise it will turn into other MMOs for me where I have twenty alts below 20 and one main trying to go above 50. I do think it's cool people have a choice on how much they pay for what they will get.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also; I've done three different dungeons (one twice for the xp and loot) and so far I'm the only person that has used the limit break.

That is normal. Limit break, especially in the early/mid game is most beneficial when used by a melee dps or caster dps for that free chunk of damage. As an archer/bard, I've never even seen my LB, and I would only piss people off if used because everyone expects it to be saved for an early killing blow by classes such as yours and not free heals by mine(unnecessary with a good healer). Just a lot of situational merits for other classes and rarely any situations that demands it's use.

Limit break system could really use an overhaul, but I have not played much end-game content yet to see if the other classes get more use out of it than pretty much the entirety of instances to 50.

Mozendo

Still early in the game (Lvl 19 GLA) and just did the Galvanth the Dominator fight. A ton of fun, though we did lose the first time because it took us awhile to figure out how to break the invincibility hahaha. And our healer dropped out right at the beginning of the quest, so we had to rely on our DPS for all healing. Still real exciting and starting to get the hang of this tanking business.

That is normal. Limit break, especially in the early/mid game is most beneficial when used by a melee dps or caster dps for that free chunk of damage. As an archer/bard, I've never even seen my LB, and I would only piss people off if used because everyone expects it to be saved for an early killing blow by classes such as yours and not free heals by mine(unnecessary with a good healer). Just a lot of situational merits for other classes and rarely any situations that demands it's use.

Limit break system could really use an overhaul, but I have not played much end-game content yet to see if the other classes get more use out of it than pretty much the entirety of instances to 50.

I see, thanks.

I have another question for GAF. I'm currently just shy of being a level 24THM. I'm thinking of becoming a Black Mage or Summoner. Is one considered better than the other? Also, once I hit 30THM, should I work on the other classes that I would need to level up to be a Black Mage/Summoner, or should I work towards level 50THM first?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got another question ;_; sorry I tried looking everywhere for an answer...again
So what happens to someone who already activated a PC version and wants to buy the PS3 version, do they get an extra 30 days?

Also one of the links on the OT is broken and redirects me so spanish message board talking about cellphone usage in schools.
http://ffxivarr.forumotion.com/t3-mog-station-explained-qa-ce-items-days-remaining-etc

Edit: Saw this on reddit

I'm still confused
Yes, you get extra 30 days added to your account if you buy another version.

So I'm reading that I only need 1 character and I can play all classes!

That is awesome! Only having to worry about stats on one character, one hunt log, quest log, etc.

I have heard the complaints on inventory or appearance, but I can hire 2 retainers for free and add 2 more if I need to. I mainly only play one character type in any game, but I can switch out on a whim and do others if I get bored!

Plus, only paying for the entry level sub means I can feel less guilty when I can't play.

This game keeps getting better! It is casual friendly and also has taken a lot of the complaints in MMOs away, plus I love being able to play with a controller.

How does one pay for the subscription on PS4? I just started playing last night on the free month and I linked my PSN account - will it just automatically withdraw every month like most PC MMOs or do I have to go into PS Store and set it up?

Ok dammit, I'm in, picked up my copy last night and jumped into the lamia server. Anyone else just starting out looking for fellow gaffer to figure out what the hell is going on hit me up (character:aethan blunt). Otherwise, in planning to join the gaf FC on the server. Looking forward to this one, game on!

Psn:midasmulligunn

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
is there a page that describes combat UI elements? In particular threat table, estimated threat, etc? Also how does Focus target work? For instance as a healer I leave the tank targeted, but can then quick target someone else to cast. Is that focus target? or can I actually have another target on a focus plate?

Frazley

Ok dammit, I'm in, picked up my copy last night and jumped into the lamia server. Anyone else just starting out looking for fellow gaffer to figure out what the hell is going on hit me up (character:aethan blunt). Otherwise, in planning to join the gaf FC on the server. Looking forward to this one, game on!

Psn:midasmulligunn

Welcome to the club! You're in the boat I am in too, I couldn't resist and bought it. Last night I logged out and calmly fell asleep in my chair to the opening menu music. That music is so darn gorgeous and soothing! I woke up about 2 hours later and went to bed.

We need a separate thread for crossbar recommendations/setup. I want to see those crossbar/hotbars.

I definitely feel like I'm underutilizing the system.

danthefan

So. I made my char on a different server to the GAF server - I would quite like to join the GAF guild.

I'm only level 22.

So the question is, do I go back to the start and make a new char on Ultros...? I'm thinking yes.

I thought this fight was easy. We did it on our first try. I imagine if you're stuck in a group with a couple of people who don't bother to attack the Nail when it drops, you're screwed.

Yeah I did the same one last night too. Took me a second to realise the nail had appeared as it was behind ifrit and I was in front of him, he's a big fella. Didn't even make a dent in us really.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
is there a page that describes combat UI elements? In particular threat table, estimated threat, etc? Also how does Focus target work? For instance as a healer I leave the tank targeted, but can then quick target someone else to cast. Is that focus target? or can I actually have another target on a focus plate?

Focus target is separate. If you're on the PC you select the target you want to make your focus and hit shift + f and it brings up the target name in a separate window. If you're on the PS4 you select the target you want to make your focus and hit square and then select focus from the drop down menu.

You can make macros to make your heals target your focus target if you want to even when you have, say, a mob targeted that you're attacking. Personally, I only use it on boss fights, and make the boss my focus target so that I can see what actions it's taking so I know if I need to move away or whatever.

Welcome to the club! You're in the boat I am in too, I couldn't resist and bought it. Last night I logged out and calmly fell asleep in my chair to the opening menu music. That music is so darn gorgeous and soothing! I woke up about 2 hours later and went to bed.

The music...just brilliant. I had to update some patches and one of the themes looped for about 45 minutes, most enjoyable 45 minute download to date.

Can someone explain how to best utilize focus target as a healer on PS4?

Generally I'm targeted onto the tank, can I use focus target on his enemy and still target the tank?

So. I made my char on a different server to the GAF server - I would quite like to join the GAF guild.

I'm only level 22.

So the question is, do I go back to the start and make a new char on Ultros...? I'm thinking yes.

I started the beta phase on a different server and was almost 20 when I realized my mistake.

I have already made up the time lost with the helpful members of GAF, I highly recommend it.

Gaz_RB

I'm only level 22.

Ultros. The people in the GAF FC are amazing and the game is significantly better for it.

Kenlars

Neo Member
the GAF FC ON ULTROS ,just waiting for the game in the mail .

Gamestop is kinda slow.
I am a member but i think this is my first post :)

borghe

You can make macros to make your heals target your focus target if you want to even when you have, say, a mob targeted that you're attacking. Personally, I only use it on boss fights, and make the boss my focus target so that I can see what actions it's taking so I know if I need to move away or whatever.
ahhhh.. ok, this was the second part of my post. So it creates a separate target frame for focus.. I'm guessing you get target of focus, casting bar, buff/debuff bar, etc?

Yeah as a CNJ for now basically I just want to see what the boss is casting, and maybe see my Aero expiring?

Taruranto

Are attribute points shared between classes or each class gets their own share of attribute points?
Each class gets it's own pool of bonus points, but jobs don't. So Marauder will have it's own points but Warrior will share those same points. This only matters for Arcanists, because you'll be choosing between becoming a Summoner or a Scholar at level 10 - INT if you want to be a SMN, MND if you want to be a SCH

Are attribute points shared between classes or each class gets their own share of attribute points?

Each class gets its own attribute bonus points that you assign. Just be warned: For Arcanist, you better have in mind which advanced job you want to be from the outset (or not spend any of those attribute points until you get that job) because Scholar and Summoner share those points.

XenoRaven

I'm not sure where you'd find it, but I can tell you that in your party list, it will tell you who has what level of hate. So A is the person the mob is targeting, then 1-8 will be used to say who has the most and least hate. Most of the time you will never see 1, because A is usually 1, but sometimes the mob will target someone who is not #1 on the list, in which case #3 could potentially have A. This is only in relation to the mob you're targeting.

There is also a list of attacking mobs on the left side of the screen with a color indicator. If you're green you not at risk of taking hate, if yours yellow, you're getting close, and if you're red you are now #1 for that mob.

Hopefully my terrible explanation makes sense.

btkadams

I'm not sure where you'd find it, but I can tell you that in your party list, it will tell you who has what level of hate. So A is the person the mob is targeting, then 1-8 will be used to say who has the most and least hate. Most of the time you will never see 1, because A is usually 1, but sometimes the mob will target someone who is not #1 on the list, in which case #3 could potentially have A. This is only in relation to the mob you're targeting.

There is also a list of attacking mobs on the left side of the screen with a color indicator. If you're green you not at risk of taking hate, if yours yellow, you're getting close, and if you're red you are now #1 for that mob.

Enmity bars:

Party-Enmity-Meter.jpg

gallery_554_58_35914.png
Learning new stuff every day! Thanks for this, guys. Very helpful.

JLeack

Banned
Any other Final Fantasy XI veterans here? I'm curious how you feel about this game in comparison.

I really like FFXIV, but it's missing some of the spark of FFXI. I can't quite put my finger on why that is.

Just a heads up, the party list hate bars are only for the enemy you're targeting, so you have to swap between targets constantly to keep track of the hate when fighting multiple enemies.

borghe

Enmity bars:

Party-Enmity-Meter.jpg

gallery_554_58_35914.png

not terrible at all. I figured that on the aggro mob list on the side but it was nice to see confirmed. I didn't know that at all about your current target and the A/#. then again as healer I basically leave the tank as my target and then quick target/cast on dps to spot heal.

not terrible at all. I figured that on the aggro mob list on the side but it was nice to see confirmed. I didn't know that at all about your current target and the A/#. then again as healer I basically leave the tank as my target and then quick target/cast on dps to spot heal.

What level are you? I'm the same way as a healer, but as you level up you get powers and run into situations where you are going to have to mitigate enmity a bit more, so it's good to be aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom