• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phinious

So I bought the game tonight to try and play with a friend, and it won't let me join his server. WTF! Id return it if I didn't register already;(

Caad

Neo Member
So I bought the game tonight to try and play with a friend, and it won't let me join his server. WTF! Id return it if I didn't register already;(

During peak hours they close down character creation on select servers. Same thing happened to me last night, and I just had to wait until today to make my character on the server I wanted. They keep an updated list somewhere on the official site, I forget exactly where though.

SRTtoZ

Just came back to the game after a 6 month hiatus.

I'm running CM for the roulette crap.

CM.

You know, that place I ran 35 times until I quit the game? Ya, that one. Take it out of the game SE.

Lol I just ran it after resubbing and afterwards I'm thinking...NEVER AGAIN. I need to unlock the hard roulette by visiting the newer 2.1 dungeons.

expel

Damn ppl are clearing turn 6 n 7 now, my group have not progress at all mainly cus one of our member has to go overseas quite a lot lately for work :(
Hopefully we can clear turn 6 soon

It's way, WAY easier than it sound. Especially if you're playing a PLD. The game is basically zzzz when you're a PLD.

What bothers me is the lack of tutorials for this stuff. I'm a level 23 MRD and I had NO idea about marking targets and I didn't even know about a hate bar until now.

I was in one dungeon, can't remember which one it was, and all of a sudden this large purple blob beast is attacking us while we have to set some charges. So, having never done this dungeon before I do what I've always done. I spam that enmity power I have until they face me, turn him around so the dps can hit its rear and start hacking at it. Well I notice that the others are doing nothing. They're stood next to the explosive plunger kinda looking at me. I don't know what to do. Then some other thing spawns and it starts to attack the team. I flash him too to get him away and he ends up dying.

Well...the team was Pissed. "Why did you kill that guy?", "noob lol".

Seriously? How am I supposed to know this stuff.

Sorry, rant over....still love ng the game but they don'tmake it easy for newcomers .

I have a few questions.

Firstly, I accidentally used my fat chocobo whistle. Did I completely screw up my chance of getting one later? :(

And I started as a conjurer so I could work my way up as a paladin. If I want to start working on my gladiator class, do I just have to start using a sword and shield? Or is there a certain point where the game lets me swich?

SougoXIII

What bothers me is the lack of tutorials for this stuff. I'm a level 23 MRD and I had NO idea about marking targets and I didn't even know about a hate bar until now.

I was in one dungeon, can't remember which one it was, and all of a sudden this large purple blob beast is attacking us while we have to set some charges. So, having never done this dungeon before I do what I've always done. I spam that enmity power I have until they face me, turn him around so the dps can hit its rear and start hacking at it. Well I notice that the others are doing nothing. They're stood next to the explosive plunger kinda looking at me. I don't know what to do. Then some other thing spawns and it starts to attack the team. I flash him too to get him away and he ends up dying.

Sorry, rant over....still love ng the game but they don'tmake it easy for newcomers .

Yeah, the game's tutorial is lacking when it comes to the intricate stuff which is surprising since they don't really allow you to group up until Lv.15. And don't worry about it if it's your first time doing the dungeon. Just say that: 'It's my first time here, anything special to watch out for in this dungeon/boss?' Usually there will someone there to explain the important stuff to you or they wouldn't mind as much if they fail. If they said nothing then they have no excuse to be pissed at the newcomer.

The game is basically zzzzz when doing anything other than healing then if you think tanking can be done in your sleep.

I wasn't talking about tanking, I was talking about PLD. Tanking as a PLD is a joke when compare to WAR. It's so brain dead that it's not even funny.

Pollux

If I'm playing as a Marauder right now (lvl 13), and I'm putting all my attribute points into categories that will help me as a tank will that hurt me later on when I try to level up my character as a Thaumaturge?

I guess what I'm asking is, after I've gotten to lvl 50 as a warrior/marauder, will I still get attribute points as another class when I'm trying to level that class up?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brb using imagination since no pics

t7win.jpg

There, lol. Double healer drops - chest and neck piece.

phinious

During peak hours they close down character creation on select servers. Same thing happened to me last night, and I just had to wait until today to make my character on the server I wanted. They keep an updated list somewhere on the official site, I forget exactly where though.

Ok, Thanks for the info!

Anyone know what a good class to start as would be? They all seem fun.

SougoXIII

If I'm playing as a Marauder right now (lvl 13), and I'm putting all my attribute points into categories that will help me as a tank will that hurt me later on when I try to level up my character as a Thaumaturge?

I guess what I'm asking is, after I've gotten to lvl 50 as a warrior/marauder, will I still get attribute points as another class when I'm trying to level that class up?

Edit: Your attribute points are not fix for all class. Sorry I was misremembering things.

Pollux

Your attribute points are fix for all class. However, you can get an item later on to reset it so you can spend it on some other stat.

Ok. I was planning on having one character be my main disciple of war character and another as my disciple of magic character. is that a viable option?

SougoXIII

Ok. I was planning on having one character be my main disciple of war character and another as my disciple of magic character. is that a viable option?

Wait, sorry I think I may be remember it wrong. Different class do get separate attribute point so you don't have to worry about making another character. I got confuse with the SCH/SMN jobs since they share the same base class so you do need to reset the point for those jobs. However, if you want to play a disciple of war then switch to magic then there's no problem.

Handy Fake

Noob question, can PC and PS3/PS4 players play together in this?

Yes.

I know this because I watched my brother infuriate a Duty group by not knowing how to pass leadership on his PS4. It was mildly hilarious.

They were very understanding after he explained the PS4 somewhat skirts over the console commands. Comme si comme ca. ;)

Yes.

I know this because I watched my brother infuriate a Duty group by not knowing how to pass leadership on his PS4. It was mildly hilarious.

They were very understanding after he explained the PS4 somewhat skirts over the console commands. Comme si comme ca. ;)

I appreciate it. I have two buddies on PS4 and I plan to go PC. Just found out that this thing can be played solo for story quests and it's $30 on Steam so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Noi

I wrote a lot of stuff there, but really it boils down to "do these 5 skills in order". I just added a bunch of extra info for the sake of making it wordy. :V

Really the only thing resembling a tutorial for tanking is the Gladiator quest line, since it actually has a quest that relies on you to pull mobs away from an NPC to keep it alive. Marauder quests aren't too good at that.

For that particular dungeon you were in, those are the mechanics of that particular fight, which you're meant to figure out on your own. Not blaming you in this instance, but a lot of people forget to mention that its their first time doing a thing, and a lot of higher level players kinda just assume that everyone knows what to do (even with the prompt saying someone is new to that duty). If you're on Ultros, you should look into doing those dungeons with people from the GAF free company that are either also new to it, or don't mind explaining what to do.

OK so the early access period is over and I need to resub.

I have a US account, since that's what I have on my PS4, but I'm not in the US.

What would be the best options for paying? Would an international credit card work if I lie about my address?

I saw the option of buying crystals or something, but it's pretty confusing. I hope you guys can help me out here.

I also saw an Amazon card, but apparently is not digital and I don't want to wait/pay for shipping.

I have a few questions.

Firstly, I accidentally used my fat chocobo whistle. Did I completely screw up my chance of getting one later? :(

And I started as a conjurer so I could work my way up as a paladin. If I want to start working on my gladiator class, do I just have to start using a sword and shield? Or is there a certain point where the game lets me swich?

You can summon hiim just fine. Go to character in the menu and go down to mounts to select one.

SRTtoZ

Fat Chocobo got.

How long do the servers restrict character creation? im trying to make a guy on Ultros but it isnt open right now.

Every few hours I think it changes but the best time is either early in the morning or at night. When I first started playing Ultros was locked down all the time so I woke up super early one morning and it let me create a character.

aceface

How long do the servers restrict character creation? im trying to make a guy on Ultros but it isnt open right now.

Check the op

Originally Posted by suzu
For those who want to know when Ultros or whatever server is open for character creation:

Check this page for updates --> http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)

Aeana

Getting to the final phase pretty consistently in turn 7 now. I'm pretty proud of our group, considering this is only our third evening in the instance. Should go down pretty soon once we can get together again.

SRTtoZ

Whew, okay. So whenever I'm able to use a mount it'll just be in the menu?

Yes, when you "use" a mount or pet in your inventory it saves it to your account, all you need to do is open up your actions/traits menu and find mounts and select the one you want and drag it onto your hotbar. There is also a "random mount" option as well as "random minion (pet)" that summons random ones you collect so you don't need to tie up your hotbars with all sorts of pets/mounts. Its pretty cool.

Yes, when you "use" a mount or pet in your inventory it saves it to your account, all you need to do is open up your actions/traits menu and find mounts and select the one you want and drag it onto your hotbar. There is also a "random mount" option as well as "random minion (pet)" that summons random ones you collect so you don't need to tie up your hotbars with all sorts of pets/mounts. Its pretty cool.

Awesome. So to get my CE minions, I just have to "use" the item and they'll just pop up in my menu as well?

lordxar

Is there a good Marauder/Warrior tank guide out there somewhere on the interwebz? I've looked around a bit but looks like everything is piecemeal.

Pollux

Wait, sorry I think I may be remember it wrong. Different class do get separate attribute point so you don't have to worry about making another character. I got confuse with the SCH/SMN jobs since they share the same base class so you do need to reset the point for those jobs. However, if you want to play a disciple of war then switch to magic then there's no problem.
awesome! Thanks.

chrono01

There, lol. Double healer drops - chest and neck piece.
\(^_^)/

I'm really loving the Unidentified Allagan Tomestones/Oil of Time/Sands of Time. At least for our group where DPS gear is a rarity, this way we can still gear ourselves up with upgraded Soldiery gear, many of which are BiS for BLM's. The fact that they're guaranteed to drop means we have an easier time designating who gets what and when.

Getting to the final phase pretty consistently in turn 7 now. I'm pretty proud of our group, considering this is only our third evening in the instance. Should go down pretty soon once we can get together again.
Good luck!

Awesome. So to get my CE minions, I just have to "use" the item and they'll just pop up in my menu as well?
You got it.

Once you "use" the mount/minion item from your inventory, they will become available in your Mount/Minions tab in Actions & Traits [press "P"] where you can summon them.

God, what have I got myself into lol

yea bruh, I dont do tank classes. I decided to try the tank classes in the beta, and I was like……nope……man, you got so much damn responsibility with the aggro grabbing and trying to keep yourself alive. Lots of pressure, like if the tank dies, everything turns to shit, real quick.

But because im a archer, when the tank dies, im already far enough back from the enemy and I just keep my distance from them.

Just today, joined a random group, their first time doing a dungeon. later into the dungeon, the tank died, and when that happened, it was like a domino effect. The healer dies seconds after, and the puglists died a few moments after while i was kiting a whole group of enemies trying not to let them hit me.

So i was running around in circles and doing damage until my team got back to where I was. man, if they'd gotten there like 5 seconds later, i would have died from the ranged attacks.

But, it was mainly because our healer decided to do damage instead of healing the tank.

SRTtoZ

Correct. Same goes with the CE Barding. "Use"ing it causes the 3 barding pieces to go into the chocobo armor menu so you can select it later when you actually have a chocobo.

So I've been playing since the beta last year and I've just recently gotten to lvl 47 for my Paladin and I've just barely started getting into FATE groups to level up. I've never played the game for more than like 1 to 2 hours at a time and I've never played an MMO before, aside from Ragnarok 2 for a month or so, so I enjoy playing solo.

I love this game and don't really know what the point of this post was but to say that it's really kept my attention and I would love to get to know more about the deeper systems and stuff.

Qvoth

Will they be enough or will I have to combine them with other Allagan stuff before heading to Coil2?

What's the caster cap for T5?

the popular opinion as of now is that you should place spell speed as your 2nd most important attribute, after int

so it's int > ss > crit > det
obviously you don't have to follow this, i know a blm who prioritizes crit and det and he's dealing better dps than i am (he uses mega potions of int all the time on his rotations though)

he taught me this rotation, you should start with it too
thunder 2 > fire 3 > raging strikes > fire until low mana > swiftcast flare > convert > fire > blizzard 3

take note that you should have 251 piety total (with scholar in your party), this gives you 1 extra fire cast, at 1st i wasn't a believer but after parsing i am now
i'm hellsguard roegadyn so i put some of my bonus stat into piety for it

hhhmmm, thats strange. I sometimes see people in battle with "-haste" dropping from them. So I thought the skill was in the game.
Maybe you saw it on an enemy. Some can use abilities that grant Haste. It'll say something like "weapon skill action time and casting time reduced" on the tooltip.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dos the game still restrict the number of characters you can make like in ffxi?

I have a dude on Yojimbo but I want to play with GAF peeps on Durandal.

Also, how easy is it to transfer a character between servers?

chrono01

the popular opinion as of now is that you should place spell speed as your 2nd most important attribute, after int

so it's int > ss > crit > det
obviously you don't have to follow this, i know a blm who prioritizes crit and det and he's dealing better dps than i am (he uses mega potions of int all the time on his rotations though)

he taught me this rotation, you should start with it too
thunder 2 > fire 3 > raging strikes > fire until low mana > swiftcast flare > convert > fire > blizzard 3

take note that you should have 251 piety total (with scholar in your party), this gives you 1 extra fire cast, at 1st i wasn't a believer but after parsing i am now
i'm hellsguard roegadyn so i put some of my bonus stat into piety for it
If you can get a high amount of Critical Hit Rating, it's a lot of better than Spell Speed. Actually, even if you can't, I'd say that it's still better. There's a lot of suspicion going on right now in-regards to Spell Speed, so if you're a Black Mage, I would recommend (if you're raiding):

Accuracy (up until the amount needed for that particular Turn) --> Intellect --> Critical Hit Rating --> Spell Speed/Determination

My Best-in-Slot list would give me a 594 Critical Hit Rate (although that might drop slightly depending on whether I need to increase my Accuracy a bit). I seriously cannot wait for that day.

As for rotation, that's exactly what I do. I'll, of course, prioritize the Thunderstruck/Thunder III proc over Firestarter.

You got it.

Once you "use" the mount/minion item from your inventory, they will become available in your Mount/Minions tab in Actions & Traits [press "P"] where you can summon them.

Correct. Same goes with the CE Barding. "Use"ing it causes the 3 barding pieces to go into the chocobo armor menu so you can select it later when you actually have a chocobo.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll get the hang of this game one day.

Alex

Oh wow, that Uematsu song from Turn 9 sounds great. The Twintania song was terrible, so I'm glad they have something befitting a final encounter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom