• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Holy shit. That Heavensward final boss. I feel really stupid for not making the connection earlier (
Thordin and his Heavensward = Knights of the Round, duhhh
) but man, when it popped up during the fight I just had a mind blown moment lol

The OST is amazing as well! The aforementioned fight, Azys Lla, the Library, hell even the main battle theme.

Awesome expansion. Shame the grind got to me back when it released (decided to level up DRK and it was a slog).

duckroll

Holy shit. That Heavensward final boss. I feel really stupid for not making the connection earlier (
Thordin and his Heavensward = Knights of the Round, duhhh
) but man, when it popped up during the fight I just had a mind blown moment lol

The OST is amazing as well! The aforementioned fight, Azys Lla, the Library, hell even the main battle theme.

Awesome expansion. Shame the grind got to me back when it released (decided to level up DRK and it was a slog).

HW isn't over. The real final boss and true ending is like ten times better. :)

You have impact procs to manage so there's a little bit more, plus verholy/verflare as your melee finisher which complicates Mana management some more, but other than that doesn't seem like much. RDM really does get most of it's core playstyle by 50

Not really. You end up juggling more procs to try and never cast Jolt ever, and you get Holy and Flare finishers but the playstyle isn't radically different at level 70 than it is at level 50 (or 15, really).

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if I want to main it yet but I don't know if I want to heal again this expansion in a static role so the other option would be red mage or black mage. I'm leaning on rdm since it is so frickin fun from what I played so far and I just can't say no to a mobile caster.. I've always mained AST but everyone and their mum is maining it now and I just feel like I should get something new.

Luigi87

Playing through 3.1, I neglected to mention that the character development Alphinaud had throughout 3.0 and continues to have has been among my favourite things from Heavensward.

B.K.

Level 64 MSQ spoiler.

I got a bit excited when Estinien appeared at the end of the last level 64 quest. I'm looking forward to seeing his role in taking down Shinryu.

rezn0r

These login queues are killing me. Forgot to remote home and start it before my commute. It's making me want to move away from Balmung. It's not as bad on all NA servers is it?

Luigi87

So in 3.1....
Haven't watched the full scene, but just encountered the Warriors of Light from... well all the CG and stuff... What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

duckroll

It's really interesting how different the writing for all the Scions is in HW, and especially in 3.x. They did an amazing job rebooting a bunch of initially lackluster characters. They weren't very interesting in ARR, and I think the 2.x story arc made me actively dislike them. The entire organization seemed incompetent at what it did, and all the members were stupid in different ways, with little in the way of personality or meaningful backstory. Except for Tataru. She was awesome from the start.

But then HW comes along, and by the end of 3.5 I was actually pumped to go through a new expansion story with Scions actually driving parts of the story. Who would have thought!

Luigi87

Probably my favorite story arc in the game so far.

omfg, this cutscene is awesome!

It's really interesting how different the writing for all the Scions is in HW, and especially in 3.x. They did an amazing job rebooting a bunch of initially lackluster characters. They weren't very interesting in ARR, and I think the 2.x story arc made me actively dislike them. The entire organization seemed incompetent at what it did, and all the members were stupid in different ways, with little in the way of personality or meaningful backstory. Except for Tataru. She was awesome from the start.

But then HW comes along, and by the end of 3.5 I was actually pumped to go through a new expansion story with Scions actually driving parts of the story. Who would have thought!

That's good to hear. Y'shtola is was already a great improvement, and not just in her design. I found her very vanilla in ARR.

R0ckman

What the hell is going on in the Samurai 54 quest?

Easily kill the trash mob and beast, the boss thug melts me though, is there a trick to him?

Easily kill the trash mob and beast, the boss thug melts me though, is there a trick to him?

Apply DoT. Dodge AOEs. Use Second Wind, Third Eye/Merciful Eyes/Bloodbath. Kite a little and pick at him with Enpi.

Omnicent

what is so hard about moving to the other side of the big black line when you have a purple marker over your head

why is this so difficult

i don't understand

I'd like to know the answer to this. As I said earlier I was ramming my head against Susano EX all day yesterday and didn't join a competent group till this morning (we did about 8 clears before I had to go eat lunch).
As more players hit 70 it's only going to get worse.
Luckily we could probably setup some GAF nights on the weekends to get people clears/weapons.

It's a bit overtuned right now if you're actually doing it at 54. It took me like three tries to get it. If you haven't upgraded your gear, you will probably want to, but it's doable in your starter gear. You'll also want to abuse Third Eye, Bloodbath, and HP pots as liberally as you can.

R0ckman

Apply DoT. Dodge AOEs. Use Second Wind, Third Eye/Merciful Eyes/Bloodbath. Kite a little and pick at him with Enpi.

Not sure what happened the first few times but he would melt me before using his AoE. I managed to beat him using DoT and combining Kaiten and the Midare Setsugekka a couple of times since my blade was full by the time I got to him.

I'm a bit indifferent to Lyse. Alisaie is best girl though. It's so refreshing to regularly hang around with someone who comes across as genre-savvy, occasionally even lampooning things we've all made fun of in this game already...plus that shit-talking about Alphinaud. Such a shame that she
has to be sidelined for the last chunk of the game because of brooding queen Fordola.

My group for the final MSQ boss made the fight considerably more of a headache than it should have been. This idiot co-healer decided this would be the ideal time to use Rescue exactly in a way you would expect and at some point I half-expected a duty abandon. Still, we made it after probably four tries. Christ.

So what about those post-credits sequences?
Fucking Nero. I had such a shit-eating grin on my face when Jessie decides to bring him on board and Cid's jaw just drops in disbelief. Fucking Nero. Such delightful asshatery. I look forward to more of that dynamic between them in presumably the Omega storyline.

Look, it's been a few years now and I'm sick of how they keep playing up Elidibus's cryptic qualities. Just...get on with it. At this point I'm just prepared to throw my hands up and say it's probably Gaius under that mask or something. It may as well be. We never actually see his body after the Praetorium and there's precedence of Ascians possessing human hosts.

Oh come on, why are Gosetsu and Yotsuyu suddenly alive and on a tiny desert island? As amusing as it would be to witness their adventures in the middle of inexplicable nowhere, it continues this strange trend of FFXIV being toothless when it comes to death. It will happily keep teasing characters' deaths and most of the time it's just a flesh wound. It's particularly egregious when you would expect Stormblood, being an expansion about actual war, to at least treat death with sufficient permanence, but no. Besides Zenos, let's just keep the fatalities to Meffrid, Conrad and a bunch of nameless and barely-mentioned blokes, I guess?

Rua

what is so hard about moving to the other side of the big black line when you have a purple marker over your head

why is this so difficult

i don't understand

Tunnel vision, probably. I had to go through like 3 learning/clear parties before I got some competent people.

Got my weapon pretty early on from a chest in my farming runs thankfully. I'll just come back for the mount when they raise the drop rates, pretty tired of him already.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alisaie
getting literally cut off the script so that Alphinaud can shine again in the finale
legitimately pissed me off.
Not only do they have a huge cast of characters they scarcely know what to do with they also play favorites.

Yes,
use third eye for the damage reduction as much as possible and make sure you hit the 3 sen w/ the bonus after he stuns you and you move out of the way. That way you can keep moving, also use feint to reduce his damage delt

Severance

It's been a year or so since i played, and of course I'm back for Stormblood. The most surprising thing so far is how badly they nerfed Scholar. I step into a dungeon and I'm going out of mana, all my useful skills are deleted apparently and oh hey, pets are nerfed too. Ouch. Seems like too much.

It feels great to be back though. Alphinuad is still the worst character, but thankfully they brought back his twin sister to take some of the spotlight off him. Finishing up 3.5 MSQ and I'm so glad Heavensward is over. I found myself skipping a couple cutscenes. Stormblood is feeling fresh though. Lyse and Alisae? yes please.

TLS Lex

I've been having an amazing time with Stormblood, finished the main story a few days ago (IMO it's been the best content we've had so far).

I've managed to fully gear up my main (DRG) with i320 weapon + accessories and i310 left side tome gear, so until more content drops I'm levelling another class. I have a WAR and WHM at 60, and although I prefer healing I've decided to level my WAR first since I've neglected him for a while (to the point where I've basically forgotten how to tank lol). That and insta queues are lovely. It's a good time to "re-learn" too what with all the changes to combat overall.

How have people been levelling? I think they nerfed the PVP exp thing and PotD isn't good for 60-70. Is it just a case of getting to 61 then dungeon spamming?

I also left some side quests between 67-70 in some areas because I didn't need the exp on DRG, so hopefully that'll break up the monotony a bit.

As an aside I love the changes to DRG. It still takes some skill to really push the DPS with Nastrond (which can be frustrating to keep optimal in dungeons depending on the tanks pull style) but the rotation itself is actually simpler. I'm just a bit mad I can't double-weave Mirage Dive because it looks like you should be able to based on the length of the skill animation, but the "eye" animation seems to cause too much of a delay.

theofficefan99

I'd just like to drop in and say FFXIV is legitimately the only MMO that I've truly wanted to experience. It's not even the subscription or the forced fetch quests that bug me. It's the fact that I have to pair up with random people if I want to complete a vast majority of the content. IIRC Dragon Quest X has this system where the player can hire an AI companion to help you out. I really wish this game had something like that. But oh well, just ain't for me and I can accept that.

Happy you guys are enjoying the game!

I'd just like to drop in and say FFXIV is legitimately the only MMO that I've truly wanted to experience. It's not even the subscription or the forced fetch quests that bug me. It's the fact that I have to pair up with random people if I want to complete a vast majority of the content. IIRC Dragon Quest X has this system where the player can hire an AI companion to help you out. I really wish this game had something like that. But oh well, just ain't for me and I can accept that.

Happy you guys are enjoying the game!

You can just treat people like AI companions. If you want to do a duty you just use the Duty Finder and it autofinds people and throws you into the dungeon/trial.

R0ckman

What's the quickest way of levelling crafting? I'm mostly interested in weaver and goldsmith.

Depending on how good you are at it find the best leve for the range you are at and HQ craft that item and turn in the leve over and over until you hit next five level range and repeat. The guides unfortunately assume you are rich enough to buy the levels up (as in buy the HQ items you beed to turn in), but its much more rewarding to craft them yourself so you actually know how to do it.

Found what I need to complete the ultimate Dark Knight costume.

nNKxoc.png

nNKttg.png

nNKKZN.png

The head bandage. A Dark Knight has no need for sight, for the world is shrouded in darkness.

AwShucks

I don't want to hamper someone else's experience if I'm sucking, though :/

I'm a casual player. If you play the story you likely will never be so shitty that you'll hamper an experience. I literally treat this as a single player game that I can talk to GAF people in while playing.

theofficefan99

As long as the content is cleared, no one's experience is being hampered unless they are a dick, in which case they deserve it.

I have some questions then, I apologize for my ignorance toward MMO's.

1) If I die in a dungeon, do I get to respawn? Do I restart from the beginning? What's my punishment?

2) Usually how long are the dungeons?

3) Is there any possibility of me being forced to skip cutscenes if someone I'm playing with wants to skip them?

4) I'm not forced to communicate with the Duty Finder right? Game just does its job finding people for me, everyone knows their roles, and that's it?

That's all. Again, I apologize for the ignorance. Thanks guys!

I'm a casual player. If you play the story you likely will never be so shitty that you'll hamper an experience. I literally treat this as a single player game that I can talk to GAF people in while playing.

That's honestly really encouraging.

1) If I die in a dungeon, do I get to respawn? Do I restart from the beginning? What's my punishment?

3) Is there any possibility of me being forced to skip cutscenes if someone I'm playing with wants to skip them?

4) I'm not forced to communicate with the Duty Finder right? Game just does its job finding people for me, everyone knows their roles, and that's it?

1) Yes, but it's usually best to just wait until the fight is over in case you can get a res from the healer.
2) It depends on the Duty you run, but most tend to be around 2 minutes total unless the team you're with is just blasting through it.
3) Forced, no, but you'll get people who don't give a rat's ass about anyone else's experience and will start the boss rooms without waiting for anyone else. That will close off the area within 15 seconds and if the game takes long enough to load after this prompt you'll likely be locked out of the arena. Don't worry about it, though.
4) Not forced and yes, I've run entire Trials, Duties and even a RAID without talking to anyone else.

Baliis

1. Healers all have a raise spell that brings you back to life with a temporary stat penalty. Otherwise you can just respawn and run back to the group, if it's a boss fight though, the "door" will lock so let the healer res you. Depending on how far into the dungeon you are, you'll respawn further in or there will be a shortcut portal you can take.

In general though most dungeons and regular bosses are pretty forgiving.

2. Depends really, some of the lower level ones are kinda slow to obnoxiously long *cough* stone vigil *cough* , some of them you can run in like 15 mins though where the tank just pulls all the trash and you a it down.

3. Unfortunately, yes(well as hikarutilmitt says, you aren't forced to skip them, but you won't actually get to do anything else in the dungeon). The finale dungeons for the ARR story are two 8 man dungeons with tons of long story cut scenes that absolutely nobody is going to wait on you for unless you specifically form a group to do it. You can always watch the cutscenes later though in an inn room. They stopped doing that though in Heavensward, all the story cutscenes are after the last boss of the dungeons.

4. Beyond just a hi or maybe a newbie asking what to do for a boss, there's usually very little chatter. Everyone has their role and for the most part has probably run the dungeon a bunch of times already. If anything, people will love you for being new lol, you get a bonus at the end of the run if it's someone's first time which helps speed up the tome grind quite a bit.

Top Bottom