• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

rubius01

Welp! Started leveling up a Gladiator and got my first "you're trash" message after a dungeon. I'm learning, guys!

You're not a real tank unless you've wiped the party multiple times.

Don't worry about it. Dude was a jackass. Tell him to go fuck himself and you carry on having fun.

Today I let the title screen run on for the first time and got the Stormblood opening movie complete with credits and all. I didn't notice the staff changes back when I finished 3.5 probably because I skipped the credits immediately to get on with it, since SB was coming out. Lol.

Some... really surprising changes.

- The Assistant Director roles are completely gone

- Minagawa is no longer Lead UI Designer, but is now the Art Director. FFXIV has not had this role since 2.0. Akihiko Yoshida was the art director for 1.0, but he was "lead artist" for 2.0, and subsequently off the team from 3.0 since he left S-E.

- The main scenario writers are now the world lore creator and a HW scenario writer.

This means... Hiroshi Takai, Mitsutoshi Gondai, Kazutoyo Maehiro are all off the game as leads now. For the 3.5 credits, all 3 were listed under "development supervision" instead. The last time FFXIV lost a major lead between expansions was Niinou leaving after 2.0, and he ended up directing Dragon Quest Builders.

Could this be an indication that part of the FFXIV team is now working on another new project? :eek:

Reminder: Takai and Maehiro previously worked together on The Last Remnant, which Takai directed and Maehiro was the lead designer.

Were there not rumors that SE wanted some of the XIV/Yoshi-P team to make a more "classic fantasy" FF title (a mainline single player)? Or am I imagining it? I know Yoshi-P said he has no interest in moving onto anything else, anytime soon.

SOLDIER

This is a rather specific problem, but I'm hoping someone here knows a fix for it.

Every time I boot up FFXIV, it turns off the lights to my mechanical keyboard. I can temporarily fix this by unchecking "Allow games to control illumination" on the Logitech Gaming Software, but it checks this back every time I restart my PC.

Any way to disable this permanently?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tanking a dungeon when it is also your first time in a dungeon does seem nerve wracking. It's easier to sit back as a dps and let the, hopefully, experienced tank lead everyone.

With tanking new dungeons I'm never sure of if I should be pulling more mobs, whether that is expected, and how much is too much.

Good thing about being a tank besides the fast queue is that you can dictate the flow of how things go. Bad thing is when I'm wondering why it is taking so long to kill these mobs and then look at a dps meter and see that as the tank I have the highest dps in the group. As a DPS I can count on my dps being high. I don't half ass shit it only makes things take longer.

Gattsu25

Banned
Tanking a dungeon when it is also your first time in a dungeon does seem nerve wracking. It's easier to sit back as a dps and let the, hopefully, experienced tank lead everyone.

With tanking new dungeons I'm never sure of if I should be pulling more mobs, whether that is expected, and how much is too much.

Good thing about being a tank besides the fast queue is that you can dictate the flow of how things go. Bad thing is when I'm wondering why it is taking so long to kill these mobs and then look at a dps meter and see that as the tank I have the highest dps in the group. As a DPS I can count on my dps being high. I don't half ass shit it only makes things take longer.

Sorry, how do you enable a DPS meter?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Welp! Started leveling up a Gladiator and got my first "you're trash" message after a dungeon. I'm learning, guys!

I got one of those yesterday at level 70! I was tanking one of the EX dungeons for the first time. There was a part where I grabbed some packs but there was a breakable wall a bit further down. The RDM in my party got really nasty about me not dragging them all the way down to the wall so it could be included in the AOE. Not something that should be a big deal and all he had to do was mention it nicely. I had him kicked. Enjoy the DPS queue!

Rua

Yesss

aY0Lggc.png

That felt good.

Baliis

This is a rather specific problem, but I'm hoping someone here knows a fix for it.

Every time I boot up FFXIV, it turns off the lights to my mechanical keyboard. I can temporarily fix this by unchecking "Allow games to control illumination" on the Logitech Gaming Software, but it checks this back every time I restart my PC.

Any way to disable this permanently?

No idea, I had to do the same thing. Seems like something that just got changed in the patch.

I'd stumbled across a thread on the FFXIV forums about it, some people suggesting you can try updating the software for your board.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...rd-back-lighting-when-it-is-the-active-window

Elrina

Neo Member
Going to log back in tonight for a while, although I won't really have "time to play" until Friday night or Sat probably (still waiting on a few friends returning with me anyway).

Still confused by some of the changes (and remembering how to navigate all the menus), although I guess I mostly just need more hands on time away from the balcony, eh?

Lot of catching up to do, but I'm pretty excited to be playing again, and the welcome back when I got on yesterday was very appreciated. Glad I took the time away before returning, I guess I have a lot to look forward to. Anyway, just wanted to say it feels good to be back.

Trojita

Sorry, how do you enable a DPS meter?

I've been gone for the game for awhile so I'm not sure if PS4 got one ( I doubt it because Yoshi P seemed pretty against them).

On PC you download an application that tracks numbers and displays everyone's dps numbers.

When I left ACT, Advanced Combat Tracker, was the one everyone used.

nutella

Neo Member
So I'm kind of an MMO tourist these days, subbing to MMOs for the latest content and often canceling a few months later. I'm thinking of re-subbing to FFXIV to give this a try and I had a question about DPS roles. Coming from WoW, utility has pretty much removed from all classes, so DPS is (IMO) sort of an aesthetic choice more than anything. Is FFXIV like that? I'm drawn to Summoner and Red Mage, if it matters.

Trojita

So I'm kind of an MMO tourist these days, subbing to MMOs for the latest content and often canceling a few months later. I'm thinking of re-subbing to FFXIV to give this a try and I had a question about DPS roles. Coming from WoW, utility has pretty much removed from all classes, so DPS is (IMO) sort of an aesthetic choice more than anything. Is FFXIV like that? I'm drawn to Summoner and Red Mage, if it matters.

Tanks, DPS, and Healers all have their roles and have to mostly stick to them for dungeons and raids.

You're not a real tank unless you've wiped the party multiple times.

Don't worry about it. Dude was a jackass. Tell him to go fuck himself and you carry on having fun.
Eh, not sweating it. Just find it funny after deciding I'm tired of DPS queues for a while.

I got one of those yesterday at level 70! I was tanking one of the EX dungeons for the first time. There was a part where I grabbed some packs but there was a breakable wall a bit further down. The RDM in my party got really nasty about me not dragging them all the way down to the wall so it could be included in the AOE. Not something that should be a big deal and all he had to do was mention it nicely. I had him kicked. Enjoy the DPS queue!
Glad I have so much to look forward to! I'm in no rush really so I'm just having fun getting back into everything.

Gold_Loot

Nah you still have some utility on the DPS role here. Nothing game changing, but Bard and Red mage have some good tools.

Baliis

Each class has some utility, except for maybe like samurai and monk? RDM for example though has embolden which increases everyone's physical damage, and spells like cure and raise that are useful. Magic DPS in general also get a couple skills like one that removes a DoT from any party member or one that transfers some of mp to another person.

Ninja has trick attack which increases everyone's damage to the target for a bit as another example.

Bards have their songs, though I don't know what they all do off the top of my head.

studyguy

If someone calls you trash while leveling as a tank then just remind them that YOU DON'T PAY FOR MY SUB! Then remember to stop progressing, force them to quit or votekick, no tank queues for in progress atm since we're instaqueue anyway. Let them languish for another 30m and you get another instant queue after they votekick.

EZPEASY

Don't actually do this, or do but keep it on the down low.

BlackJace

Now that I think about it, I feel like a lot of the nerfs/problems with 4.0 SCH come from being a weird hybrid class with SMN.
I don't know how they can do it, but the devs need to divorce the jobs for good.

creid

Were there not rumors that SE wanted some of the XIV/Yoshi-P team to make a more "classic fantasy" FF title (a mainline single player)? Or am I imagining it? I know Yoshi-P said he has no interest in moving onto anything else, anytime soon.
Didn't Yoshi-P recently say he wasn't going to direct the next expansion? Or was I dreaming?

If I pre-ordered the physical collector's edition, I have to wait until I get the actual code from the physical copy? The unlock option from SE store is just showing the early access code and it doesn't work.

Kremzeek

when i started tanking, i did better when i reminded myself that my job isn't to attack enemies, but to GRAB them and keep their hate by cycling through all of them during the duration of an encounter.

when i approached it with a DPS mindset, i would focus too much on one enemy and then the others would start to get away from me.

Edzi

If someone calls you trash while leveling as a tank then just remind them that YOU DON'T PAY FOR MY SUB! Then remember to stop progressing, force them to quit or votekick, no tank queues for in progress atm since we're instaqueue anyway. Let them languish for another 30m and you get another instant queue after they votekick.

EZPEASY

Don't actually do this, or do but keep it on the down low.

I never thought about it before but this actually sounds kind of satisfying in a really diabolical way, especially if the person complaining was a DPS.

Luigi87

Just finished 3.0 myself. Since I know there are others just jumping into the game, I'll tag this.

Really great ending, and am definitely looking forward to 3.X and SB.
I will say though as soon as Estinien was consumed by Nidhogg as a vessel I projected my immediate thoughts onto my character.
-Well, saw that coming.
[Nidhogg flies away]
Probably gonna have to do something about that later...

studyguy

I never thought about it before but this actually sounds kind of satisfying in a really diabolical way, especially if the person complaining was a DPS.

Again I'm not endorsing waving around your magic tank queue privilege, but all the same....
You're a first class tank citizen now, not one of the dirty DPS peasants.

Also shirking an enemy on another player is 100% delicious and I had not thought of it.

Luminaire

Again I'm not endorsing waving around your magic tank queue privilege, but all the same....
You're a first class tank citizen now, not one of the dirty DPS peasants.

Also shirking an enemy on another player is 100% delicious and I had not thought of it.
Can a ninja still give their hate away?

nutella

Neo Member
Each class has some utility, except for maybe like samurai and monk? RDM for example though has embolden which increases everyone's physical damage, and spells like cure and raise that are useful. Magic DPS in general also get a couple skills like one that removes a DoT from any party member or one that transfers some of mp to another person.

Ninja has trick attack which increases everyone's damage to the target for a bit as another example.

Bards have their songs, though I don't know what they all do off the top of my head.

Thanks! I'll probably try RDM. Speaking of which, I think I have a 50 summoner from a few years ago that I stopped playing shortly after hitting the cap at that time. Is there any reason to create a new character or should I just equip the RDM weapon on the SMN?

Oh my God lol I never noticed the new hunt achievements. To get the new tiger mount it's 3000 A ranks and 2000 S ranks... I've played this game since 2.0 and I only have about 250 S ranks.

I have massive penis envy for that damage. That's lv70 I assume? SAM may be the 2nd top DPS behind MNK.

From all reports, it's fairly far ahead of monk. SAM is the top dog, nin/mnk/drg seems relatively close to each other although some ppl say nin is ahead(and since they're also ahead utility wise, that puts them a fair bit ahead overall).

erawsd

I'd say its very similar to modern day wow where classes have some niche utility but nothing is a genuine hybrid or support class like Bard/RDM in FFXI or Shaman/Paladin in vanilla.

Ashodin

S9XrUly.png

Having a lot of fun getting back into the game again - my wife is playing in earnest now, so I feel a lot more invested this time around! She's enjoying fishing a lot and I'm doing the tank role through the trials. (I've tanked MMOs before, so it's not something new)

Loving how good the game looks and just the music is gorgeous and so catchy.

My previous character was only level 18, so maybe I'll get to 20 this time :3

From all reports, it's fairly far ahead of monk. SAM is the top dog, nin/mnk/drg seems relatively close to each other although some ppl say nin is ahead(and since they're also ahead utility wise, that puts them a fair bit ahead overall).
Those NIN parses are kinda wonky because DRG parses probably don't have Dragon Sight up

Just finished 3.0 myself. Since I know there are others just jumping into the game, I'll tag this.

Really great ending, and am definitely looking forward to 3.X and SB.
I will say though as soon as Estinien was consumed by Nidhogg as a vessel I projected my immediate thoughts onto my character.
-Well, saw that coming.
[Nidhogg flies away]
Probably gonna have to do something about that later...

The music you have coming up is so, sooooo good.

Top Bottom