• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

BlackJace

WHM didn't really suffer in the end, it's just their new skills aren't good additions.

SCH got wrecked harder.

I'm not really seeing it. The higher MP cost of Adloquium, and Aetherflow MP restoration nerf (while a bit rough) simply make the class actually have to manage its MP for once.

Also, Embrace being weaker makes the SCH have to just...heal more often? I think most of the changes just forces the job to work harder, but not at the expense of enjoyment IMO.

I do miss Sustain and spamming Shadow Flare though.

Plus, Libra and Aetherpact seem super useful.

Today I let the title screen run on for the first time and got the Stormblood opening movie complete with credits and all. I didn't notice the staff changes back when I finished 3.5 probably because I skipped the credits immediately to get on with it, since SB was coming out. Lol.

Some... really surprising changes.

- The Assistant Director roles are completely gone

- Minagawa is no longer Lead UI Designer, but is now the Art Director. FFXIV has not had this role since 2.0. Akihiko Yoshida was the art director for 1.0, but he was "lead artist" for 2.0, and subsequently off the team from 3.0 since he left S-E.

- The main scenario writers are now the world lore creator and a HW scenario writer.

This means... Hiroshi Takai, Mitsutoshi Gondai, Kazutoyo Maehiro are all off the game as leads now. For the 3.5 credits, all 3 were listed under "development supervision" instead. The last time FFXIV lost a major lead between expansions was Niinou leaving after 2.0, and he ended up directing Dragon Quest Builders.

Could this be an indication that part of the FFXIV team is now working on another new project? :eek:

Reminder: Takai and Maehiro previously worked together on The Last Remnant, which Takai directed and Maehiro was the lead designer.

Gondai was the lead battle planner, right? Who replaces him?

Also less Assistant Director means Yoshida handles even more stuff? That's crazy.

duckroll

Gondai was the lead battle planner, right? Who replaces him?

Also less Assistant Director means Yoshida handles even more stuff? That's crazy.

Kei Sato has been battle lead for a while now since Gondai moved up from that role to assistant director. They're renamed a few of the roles to make it clearer, with Kei Sato now being Lead Battle System Designer, and Daisuke Sase being Lead Battle Content Designer. The latter being actual battle encounters like boss mechanics and so on.

Also, with Minagawa moving up to Art Director now, Murasawa takes over as UI Lead. Pretty straightforward promotion. But this means we're definitely not getting another FFT game anytime soon. T_T

I don't think it means YoshiP doing more shit though, since all the main section leads are now grouped under something called "Assistant Director Team" in the front of the credits. Weird.

Soroc

Still at work but it sounds like the DDOSn has continued from last night? People still getting dc'd like crazy today?

They never sent a code

You should have gotten an email that said to log into the the squenix store go to your CE order and where the activation code you used on the redemption site for early access will now just be a registration code. Copy that code into mogstation and you will be all set.

adversarial

Darkside, yes always.

Grit, depends on what you are doing. If you have a solid amount of enmity built and think the healer will be fine without the mitigation (or you can replace it with a cooldown) then drop it and go nuts with blood weapon. As long as you have enmity, aren't dying, and have enough mana to turn back on grit in an emergency then it should be fine. Just remember to keep an eye on that enmity, dps can catch up fast.

Can you track enmity on PS4?

Kei Sato has been battle lead for a while now since Gondai moved up from that role to assistant director. They're renamed a few of the roles to make it clearer, with Kei Sato now being Lead Battle System Designer, and Daisuke Sase being Lead Battle Content Designer. The latter being actual battle encounters like boss mechanics and so on.

Also, with Minagawa moving up to Art Director now, Murasawa takes over as UI Lead. Pretty straightforward promotion. But this means we're definitely not getting another FFT game anytime soon. T_T

I don't think it means YoshiP doing more shit though, since all the main section leads are now grouped under something called "Assistant Director Team" in the front of the credits. Weird.

Ah thanks for the info ;), stopped checking into credts since I stopped playing around 3.0.

Nice to see how even with the changes the team keeps the quality of the game.

Man I hope the attacks stop by tonight though I doubt it. I'll do daily roulette and give PoTD a whirl but if I see disconnect problems in PoTD again...not wasting a whole night retrying again. I saw how much xp pvp gives in earlier posts, wonder what It'd give me at 47? I have no interest in PvP but only need a few more levels so if that could do the job quick...

Today I let the title screen run on for the first time and got the Stormblood opening movie complete with credits and all. I didn't notice the staff changes back when I finished 3.5 probably because I skipped the credits immediately to get on with it, since SB was coming out. Lol.

Some... really surprising changes.

- The Assistant Director roles are completely gone

- Minagawa is no longer Lead UI Designer, but is now the Art Director. FFXIV has not had this role since 2.0. Akihiko Yoshida was the art director for 1.0, but he was "lead artist" for 2.0, and subsequently off the team from 3.0 since he left S-E.

- The main scenario writers are now the world lore creator and a HW scenario writer.

This means... Hiroshi Takai, Mitsutoshi Gondai, Kazutoyo Maehiro are all off the game as leads now. For the 3.5 credits, all 3 were listed under "development supervision" instead. The last time FFXIV lost a major lead between expansions was Niinou leaving after 2.0, and he ended up directing Dragon Quest Builders.

Could this be an indication that part of the FFXIV team is now working on another new project? :eek:

Reminder: Takai and Maehiro previously worked together on The Last Remnant, which Takai directed and Maehiro was the lead designer.

Oh ho. Exciting possibilities there.

kromeo

You should have gotten an email that said to log into the the squenix store go to your CE order and where the activation code you used on the redemption site for early access will now just be a registration code. Copy that code into mogstation and you will be all set.

Thanks, probably never would have found that

Shy Fingers

Banned

Yes. There is an enmity ranking of the current selected target attached to the left side of the job icons in the party list. Ranked 1 - 8, with an A for who is currently being attacked by the boss. (Most of the time the 1 is an A)

Then the enemy list will rank your enmity by green, yellow, and red. Red meaning you have aggro.

studyguy

Nah it's the same for every platform.
You check enmity through the little bar on the player listing and the icons on the enemy listing.

ffxiv_10102015_133639000.png

This is an example of 100% locked enmity on the tank. Red flashing square on the enemy list and 100% filled bar under the player icon with an A next to it.

ffxiv_20130706_221406_zps8694684a.jpg

Enmity_symbols_zps5cc6c5c7.png

Red flash > Orange Triangle > Yellow > Green

Never tunnel vision on targets when tanking. Unless one target demands your attention, you're free to scroll through every one and gauge how much enmity you have on it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NINE HUNDRED DPS ON
SHINRYU
IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE

iammeiam

Thinking about jumping back in, hows MCH after the changes?

Different. Very different.

They did a terrible job of designing the leveling process; if you were 60 when you left, you're going to be frustrated by how broken and boring the job seems at first.

It picks up at around 64 when the heat mechanic actually starts doing something, and feels like a complete job at 66 when you pick up a skill that lets you control your heat a lot better.

Right now it's under-tuned and incredibly punishing--Trying to shorthand this, you want to be over 50 heat at all times. You only want to overheat when you have the level 66 skill available, because it sets you to 50 right away. Below 50, the 1-2-3 combo gives 5 heat per button, hot shot gives 10. So if you die or accidentally overheat, it takes a minimum of 9 GCDs (1xhot shot, 8x1-2-3) to get back to 50. Using quick reload eats 10 heat. Any shot with ammo adds 0 to the meter. IT's a hot mess if you screw up, and even played perfectly it's the worst DPS.

The biggest problems are incredibly fixable--make the 66 skill a 60s CD so it syncs up with Wildfire, increase the Overheat bonus or something--but the leveling experience pre-64 is pretty dreadful. I think it could end up being pretty strong after a few balance passes, but the leveling disaster is probably going to leave it relatively underplayed.

How many required dungeons/primals are there in between Heavensward and Stormblood? I think I'm on the final HW quest, but I remember there being quite a few required MP instances between ARR and HW so I'm tempering my excitement.

Also, this story has been great. Been taking my time with it rather than zerging it and have really been enjoying it.

Oh and lastly, RDM is awesome.

Baliis

How many required dungeons/primals are there in between Heavensward and Stormblood? I think I'm on the final HW quest, but I remember there being quite a few required MP instances between ARR and HW so I'm tempering my excitement.

Also, this story has been great. Been taking my time with it rather than zerging it and have really been enjoying it.

Oh and lastly, RDM is awesome.

I count 3 dungeons and one trial that are mandatory? The post Heavensward content is much better than the post ARR stuff though.

I'm not really seeing it. The higher MP cost of Adloquium, and Aetherflow MP restoration nerf (while a bit rough) simply make the class actually have to manage its MP for once.

Also, Embrace being weaker makes the SCH have to just...heal more often? I think most of the changes just forces the job to work harder, but not at the expense of enjoyment IMO.

I do miss Sustain and spamming Shadow Flare though.

Plus, Libra and Aetherpact seem super useful.

The problem is we're pretty much outclassed by both of the other healers in every regard. WHM outheals and outdamages, AST outheals, outdamages, and can also outmitigate us. We have to be the best at something, it's the only way to have a proper trinity. ASTs were supposed to be flexible between either raw healing or mitigation roles but they're pretty much the God healers at everything rn. I don't think they should be nerfed but WHM and SCH need to be buffed.

Thinking about jumping back in, hows MCH after the changes?

It's pretty damn good. Once you get to 64 a whole new world opens with heat management. You can do some pretty damn good damage when properly managing heat and your opener/rotations but I think BRD can still do more. We don't offer quite as much utility as BRD now so I think they should beef up our damage a bit

Different. Very different.

They did a terrible job of designing the leveling process; if you were 60 when you left, you're going to be frustrated by how broken and boring the job seems at first.

It picks up at around 64 when the heat mechanic actually starts doing something, and feels like a complete job at 66 when you pick up a skill that lets you control your heat a lot better.

Right now it's under-tuned and incredibly punishing--Trying to shorthand this, you want to be over 50 heat at all times. You only want to overheat when you have the level 66 skill available, because it sets you to 50 right away. Below 50, the 1-2-3 combo gives 5 heat per button, hot shot gives 10. So if you die or accidentally overheat, it takes a minimum of 9 GCDs (1xhot shot, 8x1-2-3) to get back to 50. Using quick reload eats 10 heat. Any shot with ammo adds 0 to the meter. IT's a hot mess if you screw up, and even played perfectly it's the worst DPS.

The biggest problems are incredibly fixable--make the 66 skill a 60s CD so it syncs up with Wildfire, increase the Overheat bonus or something--but the leveling experience pre-64 is pretty dreadful. I think it could end up being pretty strong after a few balance passes, but the leveling disaster is probably going to leave it relatively underplayed.

Playing MCH in PVP is fun, but maybe I'm just amused by the novelty of it since I haven't played MCH before. You can reach 50 Heat in two GCDs and get to throwing out cool attacks right away.

But my MCH is at lvl 40, and it feels like half a Job without command of the Heat mechanic. Sad to hear it will continue to be kind of like that for another...26 levels.

studyguy

Last Remnant is the kind of garbage SE makes that has me playing for like 90hrs hating myself for enjoying all the half baked potential.

iammeiam

Playing MCH in PVP is fun, but maybe I'm just amused by the novelty of it since I haven't played MCH before. You can reach 50 Heat in two GCDs and get to throwing out cool attacks right away.

But my MCH is at lvl 40, and it feels like half a Job without command of the Heat mechanic. Sad to hear it will continue to be kind of like that for another...26 levels.

PVP MCH is amazing and in a lot of ways I wish PVE worked more like that.

I'm just really annoyed by how badly they handled the leveling experience. I liked MCH before, and they nuked it to the ground on justification that nobody much played it.

Only the way they handled the new system, everything just feels bad. Where people were turned off before by too many buttons, there's now this weird gap in levels where you have a gauge you can't do anything with.

Baliis

Welp! Started leveling up a Gladiator and got my first "you're trash" message after a dungeon. I'm learning, guys!

Lol. Was it just like Sastasha or something? You don't even really need a tank for the lower level stuff. I would pull off tanks all the time with my sick AST/WHM DPS in content before they get their tank stance.

BlackJace

The problem is we're pretty much outclassed by both of the other healers in every regard. WHM outheals and outdamages, AST outheals, outdamages, and can also outmitigate us. We have to be the best at something, it's the only way to have a proper trinity. ASTs were supposed to be flexible between either raw healing or mitigation roles but they're pretty much the God healers at everything rn. I don't think they should be nerfed but WHM and SCH need to be buffed.

It's pretty damn good. Once you get to 64 a whole new world opens with heat management. You can do some pretty damn good damage when properly managing heat and your opener/rotations but I think BRD can still do more. We don't offer quite as much utility as BRD now so I think they should beef up our damage a bit

Interesting opinion, I do feel like our damage options we're needlessly nerfed as well.

Top Bottom