• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Brick

I've played MMOs for years, but this is the first time I've ever really tried a tank. I've loved it so far, but I just did the last two dungeons in the 2.0 story through the Duty Finder.

Man, duty finder is a real bad way to learn how to raid/off tank. I had no idea what was happening the entire time in both dungeons.

It's true that getting a party together from the FC might be harder due to SB having launched, but it never hurts to ask. You can expect a majority of the bosses to be the Imperials you've been seeing throughout the story, so you would inevitably miss most of those battles (that being said, the battles are so easy now that many of them die in around a minute, if not less). You'll also lose a fair bit of context for the battles themselves by skipping the scenes.

My preference has always been that if you can't get a premade together, go in and watch the cutscenes, then just go back and try the battles in a separate run. Because of how trivial the fights have become, I don't think they're worth sacrificing the cutscenes for.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to skip the cutscenes then. Damn, what a conundrum. It wouldn't be so bad running it twice if the queues weren't insane right now with the expansion launch.

Actually, are all the cutscenes on Youtube probably? I could perhaps watch them there and then play through the dungeon.

MechaX

As a healer, I pray for someone to pick up the raise every single time. Raise costs a massive amount of MP, and it throws off everything if I have to do it too often. You don't want your healers running out of MP.

If I notice it, I'll usually swiftcast rez (although it seems like 99% of the time with PUGs, the healer will still get it, so it's MP wasted).

If I am trying to learn a fight, I honestly may not even notice at first.

On the subject of healing, got yelled at by one healer dude in Lakshmi because I couldn't raise one of two healers, both of which got nuked somehow at once. But I died shortly before due to not figuring out the veil mechanic in time and had no MP to do rez immediately. At least one other person noticed the issue I had in that circumstance, but it seemed kinda screwed that the healer was pushing the party wipe entirely because I couldn't swift cast at that moment (and the slow rez still wouldn't have helped).

Also, plz don't make me rez when I am in Dreadwyrm or have Bahamut out.

Vitanimus

Level 63 trial is incredible. Cleared it this morning solo and was amazed. Cleared it again with a friend just now and was even better with all of the clutch rez's flying everywhere. Stormblood is just sooooooooooooooo good. So psyched to see the rest of the stuff!

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to skip the cutscenes then. Damn, what a conundrum. It wouldn't be so bad running it twice if the queues weren't insane right now with the expansion launch.

Actually, are all the cutscenes on Youtube probably? I could perhaps watch them there and then play through the dungeon.

Honestly, I would just watch them ahead of time and play it through. It sucks but thankfully it's the only time in the entire game you'll ever have to do this, they learned this lesson pretty quick from fan feedback.

Edit: I had a link but it was for the wrong dungeon because I'm a stupid person on the internet.

RDM has a trait that makes every other cast a swiftcast; SMN only has Swiftcast on CD and I can understand why if one of the two of us has to rez they'd prefer it be me. But since a RDM can cast a normal short-cast damage spell and immediately swiftrez that's always going to be preferable from a GCD economy perspective.

Like, anything that hits hard enough to actually kill people is probably also going to be something where I can find uses for every GCD so not wasting a bunch of them locked in a rez is huge (or playing the I BET I CAN FINISH THIS CAST BEFORE THE AOE GOES OFF game.) If I get a RDM that's on the ball with raises I usually just run Bole and Ewer on them when Sleeve Draw slaps me with them to keep them up and make up for the MP loss from rezzing. I usually also do the extension on Balance for them to make up the lost damage for covering my ass.

Screw optimal I will straight up bribe you to not make me panic about finishing a rez, healing a tank buster, and topping everyone off for AOE at the same time.
I live for those panicky moments when the other healer dies, the MT tank is low and is about to get hit by a tank buster and everyone is about to get hit by multiple party wide AoE and are at half hp.

I cannot orgasm as a healer unless these things are happening.

Reszo

There is this quest in the azim steppe area where I have to fight diremites but they aren't spawning anywhere . Has anyone completed this?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I leveled PLD to 70 and now I am doing MNK (currently 63). Dungeon queues are too long. I ran shatter hundreds of times in HW. I am very tired of this map. I wish they would have added a new one for SB. It sucks the best way to level dps right now is by spamming old content...especially when it's only one map.

Varjis

So I'm trying to jump back in and made the horrible mistake of not having the token app installed still..from 3 years ago. Support is killing me. Their call number is a constant busy tone, I've read that chat can't help with token removal. I understand them being inundated with support tickets due to Stormblood's launch but their call center doesn't even have a call queue? Sheesh.

LOL, right after I posted this I got through. :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So I'm trying to jump back in and made the horrible mistake of not having the token app installed still..from 3 years ago. Support is killing me. Their call number is a constant busy tone, I've read that chat can't help with token removal. I understand them being inundated with support tickets due to Stormblood's launch but their call center doesn't even have a call queue? Sheesh.

LOL, right after I posted this I got through. :p

This reminds me, I'm still running off my old FFXI token. One literally from when they first introduced it not long after XI went up. Still going....but, I really should move over to whatever they have going now. I know the phone authentication is going, but do they have a similar token working?

Don't forget you can view cutscenes in the Inn.

Ruff

It's likely because gil sellers made a bunch of accounts on a single IP back in the day. Try contacting SE chat support.

Yeah this is ridiculous. They want me to email them a photo of her drivers license and proof of address.

To play a limited free trial of an MMO. What a bad introduction to the game this has been.

dramatis

I've played MMOs for years, but this is the first time I've ever really tried a tank. I've loved it so far, but I just did the last two dungeons in the 2.0 story through the Duty Finder.

Man, duty finder is a real bad way to learn how to raid/off tank. I had no idea what was happening the entire time in both dungeons.
The last two 2.0 story dungeons are a whirlwind of what regardless of whether you are a tank or not, so don't worry about that.

Gnomist

There is this quest in the azim steppe area where I have to fight diremites but they aren't spawning anywhere . Has anyone completed this?

This one was confusing for me as well. I think you just need to walk around in the designated area to get one to pop out of the ground and spawn. I dunno if it's a set point or random, but mine was near one of the rocks in the sand.

Are you sure you were able to put the setting on?

Yep. I enabled the settings and most of my HUD was scaled down after that. Now, I'm not sure if it's actually down-scaling 4k resolution to 1080p, but something happened. I haven't spent too much time with it this week to really test it all out and do comparisons, but the option was definitely usable for me on my 1080p tv.

Bowlie

Banned
Me and my new friend:

eCoDeqG.jpg

R0ckman

I leveled PLD to 70 and now I am doing MNK (currently 63). Dungeon queues are too long. I ran shatter hundreds of times in HW. I am very tired of this map. I wish they would have added a new one for SB. It sucks the best way to level dps right now is by spamming old content...especially when it's only one map.

How long is too long for most people? DPS usually takes 20-30 minutes. I have so much to do that it doesn't always bother me, but yeah when I run tank its just feels much better to hop in and hop out.

Squishy3

To be fair to them, SSPD PLD and NIN were potentially things at high SSPD if so due to on-hit stuff.

I guess.
Speaking of skill speed, time to become upset as a Dragoon now that we no longer have a GCD threshold to hit for 3 geirskoguls/min but most of the gear has skill speed on it. At least with the TP amount changes I see no way Dragoons could ever run out of TP short of having to AOE constantly, so now I'm just trading off stats. Grade VI does make this a little more bearable at least though since that's like an accessory's worth of substat.

Fucking fuck. I had a power outage while playing and when I tried to get back in, the launcher is downloading the entire fucking game again. I think this has happened to a couple other people as well when I searched online...

everybodyman

Neo Member
I've been trying to move my copy of FF XIV on steam from my laptop to my computer but steam ends up forcing me to re-download the whole game even when i move the app manifest as well. Is there any way around this or should i just open FF XIV from within the launcher?

erawsd

I wish they just scaled down stats in the leveling roulette, losing a ton of abilities just makes doing old stuff even more of a chore.

Fucking fuck. I had a power outage while playing and when I tried to get back in, the launcher is downloading the entire fucking game again. I think this has happened to a couple other people as well when I searched online...
Yea the game has gotten sensitive in this update, I've had that happen before in the past and nothing happened. Now since SB if you lose power while playing it corrupts a huge chunk of your data and you have to re-download the game.

Yea the game has gotten sensitive in this update, I've had that happen before in the past and nothing happened. Now since SB if you lose power while playing it corrupts a huge chunk of your data and you have to re-download like half the game.

Ugh, now I don't want to download it in fear of it happening again, at least until there's some official news on whether something can be done. I really don't want this eating up my sub. :(

Item Box

A few NPC lines at the end of the 67 trial quest:

Lyse: I wish we could have left on better terms, but that was never going to happen. It could be a problem if they get their hands on any more crystals, though...
Lyse: Never mind. We'll deal with that when the time comes.

My eyes almost rolled out of my head reading that

But I guess they need an excuse to add the Extreme version in the game...

Gattsu25

Banned

3 things:

Good luck, we need more tanks out there! :)

adversarial

I wish they just scaled down stats in the leveling roulette, losing a ton of abilities just makes doing old stuff even more of a chore.

I just mentioned this last week or so when I first installed ARR. The fact that they remove 90% of your abilities, depending on the dungeon you get, is absolutely absurd to me. For some classes it hurts way more than others, as well.

Gattsu25

Banned
I just mentioned this last week or so when I first installed ARR. The fact that they remove 90% of your abilities, depending on the dungeon you get, is absolutely absurd to me. For some classes it hurts way more than others, as well.

Do scholars still get the ability to remove poison after 4 poison-heavy dungeons?

chogidogs

Thanks to the people who suggested to do Palace of the Dead to get my feet wet. I'm starting to remember how to play this game again.

QQ, though. When I try to assign Stone I to my hotbar, it automatically adds Stone II instead. Is that a new thing? Can I still cast Stone I?

Top Bottom