• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Luigi87

Hm, just realized I should probably try to get through 3.X and 4.0 within the next two weeks, 'cause then I'm all about dat Ivalice life come July 11th.

Ruff

The instances broken again? Because yay! If I knew this would happen come the weekend I would've actually played the story more.

Is that what this is? I've been trying to do a level 7 quest for like an hour and all it does is freeze me in place for a minute when I presumably go to teleport in.

k1t4j

If you're doing that back to back, yeah, that can seem epic as fuck.

Personally, I liked the Warriors of Darkness storyline; gave us a lot of insight on the lore of the world itself (and also introduced interesting antagonists as well).

It was soo good.

Warriors of darkness part was really awesome. More gray villains is always good, they had a damn good reason to be doing what they were doing.

Yes, more warriors of darkness please. When you realise what they were doing and the why, fuck it really makes you think that these guys have a valid reason for this shit.

I am not at the end of HW content yet but
Shiva being a primal enemy and then sacrifice herself for us.

Was pretty epic for sure :D

In another news while the DF is down i managed to change the colour of my chocobo, which is now rest red with the raven barding, looks cool as fuck. Just need that ravana bird now for the edgy dark/red companion/mount set :p

R0ckman

I brought this up before but wanted to know the specific background on it. So now that we can meld easier and with NPC melders what was the reasoning behind this from the devs? Were people in the community complaining that the carbonized thing was just too much?

iammeiam

Bokchoy has a pretty solid healer analysis post up; his conclusion is that you can make an argument for any comp with an AST:
Personally, I think AST/WHM and AST/SCH are both very strong, while WHM/SCH is quite a bit further behind.
AST is really strong because of having a pretty complete kit plus the overpowered Balance card, but greatly benefits from a co-healer who can output a lot of "free healing". WHM pulled a lot closer to SCH in this area but both are great "sidekicks" to AST.
AST/SCH has superior damage, due to Balance plus Chain Strategem.
AST/WHM has superior healing GCDs and stability/control.
I think these two comps are more-or-less equal or very close to it, depending on what's important to you and your static and also depending on encounter design. I actually have a slight preference for AST/WHM vs Susano and AST/SCH vs Lakshmi, but that's all based on anecdotal experiences. In any case, you can make solid arguments for either comp being "optimal" over the other. But notice how all three healer jobs are involved. This is an improvement over what we saw in Creator, where AST/SCH was strictly better than the other two healing duos.

Which is fair! However, the WHM analysis section notes the thing that I think caused the initial concern:
Pre-Stormblood, WHM was already the red-headed stepchild of the healing trio, as the healing meta was all about SCH/AST. The sheer damage advantage of SCH/AST was insane, and WHM didn't really provide anything that came close to making up for the damage loss. Moreover, the content itself wasn't very WHM friendly. WHM's strengths lie in their throughput healing, but Creator Savage encounters don't really play to WHM's strengths, mostly due to how little healing was actually required.
So, when preliminary details were released about Stormblood abilities, everyone was up in arms about White Mage's Secret of the Lily mechanic, which to be honest is quite bad, even after if it's been buffed from its initial build. It felt like WHM was already the weakest and got the least, so they must be in a bad place. I initially kinda felt that way too. Then came the "RIP WHM" memes.
However, after thinking about it for a bit, I thought that WHM was actually buffed quite considerably. Oddly, the majority of the buffs were upgrades to already existing abilities, and as a result these buffs flew under the radar.

WHM got better at the things it was good at. Creator didn't need the things WHM was good at; if Omega follows Creator, WHM will continue to be good at things that Do Not Matter because there's no bonus for overheal but there's always a bonus for more rDPS.

He comes off more positive about WHM's place in the world than I have been or continue to be, but it's largely because I fully expect Omega to follow Creator so that we don't end up with another Gordias situation. But it's a solid analysis, worth reading, and will be interesting to revisit a month or so into the tier when they've rebalanced everything and it turns out the optimal comp is actually mnk/mnk/mch/mch/whm/sch/drk/drk

(and again I'm not saying WHM is dead--largely that if you're going to go apply to groups of strangers to raid with, it's like to end up being the last-choice job and not a selling point. Much like you didn't roll monk in Creator if you wanted an easy route to statics, WHM is finding a static challenge mode.)

Redx508

cA6wbtn.png

lol

Since the instance servers are messed up I figured I'd try collectables again since I remember finding the system to be really tedious and uninteresting when it first launched but I also didn't quite understand how they worked.

Now that I've actually learned how they work I can't say my opinion has changed, I have a lot more fun just grinding out regular mats from a node than doing this, at least they're good for levelling quickly.

drac96

I started playing this around Christmas this past year. I hit a questline I found to be a particular slog
The one where the leader of the sylphs is kidnapped by the evil hooded guy.
After that I let my subscription lapse, but decided to start again now.

I'm a little over 30 and should be ready to advance my pugilist to a monk soon. My issue is that I'm still finding the main plot to be a complete slog. There was a point where I was way into it
The introduction of the scions of the seventh Dawn, and some of the stuff to follow.
However I feel like it's not going anywhere now. I just had to run around the desert talking to various people for a few hours and then go back to see Minfillia.

I'm going to keep going, but should I temper my expectations? I hear nothing but praise for the main quest of Heavensword, and now Stormblood.

R0ckman

Since the instance servers are messed up I figured I'd try collectables again since I remember finding the system to be really tedious and uninteresting when it first launched but I also didn't quite understand how they worked.

Now that I've actually learned how they work I can't say my opinion has changed, I have a lot more fun just grinding out regular mats from a node than doing this, at least they're good for levelling quickly.

Yeah, it depends on the collectible but some are so worthless in the exp you gain you are better off grinding the node a couple of times than turning in the collectible. For fishing 60-70 its absolute garbage. I'm about halfway to 70 through leves and grinding.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I started playing this around Christmas this past year. I hit a questline I found to be a particular slog
The one where the leader of the sylphs is kidnapped by the evil hooded guy.
After that I let my subscription lapse, but decided to start again now.

I'm a little over 30 and should be ready to advance my pugilist to a monk soon. My issue is that I'm still finding the main plot to be a complete slog. There was a point where I was way into it
The introduction of the scions of the seventh Dawn, and some of the stuff to follow.
However I feel like it's not going anywhere now. I just had to run around the desert talking to various people for a few hours and then go back to see Minfillia.

I'm going to keep going, but should I temper my expectations? I hear nothing but praise for the main quest of Heavensword, and now Stormblood.

ARR doesn't become really interesting until the last few quests (they were added in patches) that lead up to Heavensward. From there Heavensward is awesome.

In particular the quests right after the main part of ARR are awful.

I blame having to salvage 1.0 and concentrating on that for the team.

I want Yoshi-P one day to candidly admit that the Grand Company uniforms are awful.

Otnopolit

Leveling my Samurai to 60 before I continue, he is already 56!! Here's hoping he's got his use in raids, some people on Reddit think otherwise because he doesn't offer any raid utility beyond the typical DPS role moves like Goad and such. What do you guys think? They hit like trucks, that's for sure. Somebody got 4505 on one of the level 70 primal fight test dummies.

MikeBison

So is duty finder flat out not working or?

On moogle. On the ship waiting for sirensong with my SAM and roped a healer into my party. Still says >30mins.

Edzi

When using a controller, is there a way to quickly display an ability's description while in battle outside of hovering over it with a mouse?

So is duty finder flat out not working or?

On moogle. On the ship waiting for sirensong with my SAM and roped a healer into my party. Still says >30mins.

I finally had a queue pop after 2 hours, so I guess it's just real slow. Although when I was loading into the dungeon I got hit with a 90k and I dunno if that was just bad luck or if it was because instances are messed up, so be ready for that possibility I guess.
Yeah, it depends on the collectible but some are so worthless in the exp you gain you are better off grinding the node a couple of times than turning in the collectible. For fishing 60-70 its absolute garbage. I'm about halfway to 70 through leves and grinding.

Yeah I managed to get a couple thousand exp off of 65 just by grinding mats from nodes before finally switching. I'd probably have stuck with that if it wasn't for the fact prices for the items are all over the place right now.

Top Bottom