• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

k1t4j

Playing though 3.1 to 3.5, what a rush man.

The conclusion to HW story
The warriors of darkness fight
That sad Ga Bu moment :(
Waiting to do baelsar wall after dinner

This game is fantastic

HunRevan

This game is fantastic

I am in the same boat. I want to get to SB content. But this strory is fantasctic. I am nowt even mad for being behind.

Aeana

Still waiting to see raid content; nothing we've seen yet really moves the mark on where people thought WHM would fall short . The tuning on EX trials makes it tough to really tell, but so far it seems like SCH/Diurnal is still better rDPS than Noct/WHM. WHM is A+ personal DPS if let to stand there and spam rocks.

WHM's secret advantage in Omega may actually just be that Noct is way more fun than Diurnal.

Right, I forgot that DPS is where the true measure of a healer's viability lies.

xero273

That looks like they just put two hotbars on top of each other in the HUD customization. If you want to find your slightly more advanced hotbar options, they live here:

HtjRo0c.png

I'm not sure what you mean Xero, they're just hotbars moved to the bottom right? If you want to adjust your layout go to the main menu (ESC), and then choose HUD layout.

the icon for that hotbar seems smaller? maybe they are the same size. I'll play around with settings. thanks

k1t4j

I am in the same boat. I want to get to SB content. But this strory is fantasctic. I am nowt even mad for being behind.

Its great isn't it? Sure at the end of the day you're the hero and blablabla but everything around and how it unfolds its just great.

I also like how not everything always ends in a happy note, or when something does immediately things go side ways.

A huge improvement of ARR story and I can't wait to see what SB has in store for me :)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Can we recall all of those WHM is dead memes and replace them with SCH?

Neither of them are quite dead it's just that WHM is an old guy yelling at clouds, SCH broke both wrists and AST is the guy she tells you not to worry about.

MechaX

This game is fantastic

If you're doing that back to back, yeah, that can seem epic as fuck.

Personally, I liked the Warriors of Darkness storyline; gave us a lot of insight on the lore of the world itself (and also introduced interesting antagonists as well).

HunRevan

Its great isn't it? Sure at the end of the day you're the hero and blablabla but everything around and how it unfolds its just great.

I also like how not everything always ends in a happy note, or when something does immediately things go side ways.

A huge improvement of ARR story and I can't wait to see what SB has in store for me :)

I am not at the end of HW content yet but
Shiva being a primal enemy and then sacrifice herself for us.

It was soo good.

Got to 70 and finished the MSQ yesterday. Don't care what anybody says, the MCH AF3 is cool as hell, and Flamethrower is, if nothing else, the GOAT animation. Now to do the EX dungeons and get geared some more so I can do the Extreme primals.

I'd like to get Monk, Bard and Samurai to 70 before Omega drops so that I can get a better idea of what I want to main, so I suppose I have a lot of leveling in my future.

Aeana

Neither of them are quite dead it's just that WHM is an old guy yelling at clouds, SCH broke both wrists and AST is the guy she tells you not to worry about.

There's some big issues with SCH, chiefly being adloquium costing more than aetherflow even restores, and the tether on aetherpact being unreliable and easy to break.
I really don't think AST should have better, more efficient shields than SCH.

Why did they change the way you could resize the menu and the dialogue boxes? It was perfect before. Now they are both too small, and the only way (that I could find) to get them bigger is to resize the entire UI to 150%. But when doing that, even though I could shrink down many other parts of the UI, both the menu and the dialogue boxes become too big.

Why did they change this? It was perfect before. Christ.

Kenai

Right, I forgot that DPS is where the true measure of a healer's viability lies.

I dunno where all this extra DPS is gonna come from in the first place from SCH since I can run out of MP super easy on AST now just keeping up my single DoT and doing a very occasional nuke, I am thinking having to res a few times which is expected in new stuff would be worse. I'm sure it will get better a few raid tiers from now like it tends to do but I am skeptical right now.

That being said I hope WHM not being as bad as previously thought doesn't mean folks let up on SE about Lillies being a trash mechanic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so I can play the free trial on Steam up to lvl 35, and then upgrade to the full version and get 1 month free sub right?

iammeiam

Viability has never been the concern in terms of actual WHM balance discussion, though. WHM's healing potency was overkill in HW, and without doing things to damage that render non-WHM comps totally unviable (which seems incredibly unlikely) focusing WHM's improvements on healing throughput is like upgrading from a garden hose to a power washer to fill an ice cube tray. It'll work, but the extra power doesn't add anything.

It's not viability, it's desirability and overall meaningful contribution. WHM was never in danger of being unable to do content, but it is in danger of having most of its new skill set rendered completely meaningless in terms of contribution. SCH got hit hard, but there's no indication that the ways it got hit will prevent them from actually contributing, and they still gained Chain Stratagem for above-and-beyond.

I'm not crying to ostracize WHMs here--there's one in my raid group and at no point has anyone indicated he should change jobs to suit The Meta because we can differentiate between optimal and viable--just maintaining that the concerns from pre-launch were valid, are still valid, and are still worth discussing. WHM is potentially shaping up to be where Monk was in Creator; totally viable, will still clear stuff, does run the risk of having a harder time finding groups blind unless ASTs push hard to be allowed to noct. The big WHM complaint heading into the expansion was a lack of rDPS utility, and they did nothing to address it.

Got to 70 and finished the MSQ yesterday. Don't care what anybody says, the MCH AF3 is cool as hell, and Flamethrower is, if nothing else, the GOAT animation. Now to do the EX dungeons and get geared some more so I can do the Extreme primals.

I'd like to get Monk, Bard and Samurai to 70 before Omega drops so that I can get a better idea of what I want to main, so I suppose I have a lot of leveling in my future.

Join me in praying for MCH buffs pre-Omega because unless Refulgent Arrow saves Bard for me, 50/50 chance I'm going to just do "guys I know the meta but until we wall on a DPS check imma just show up with turrets. k? k" if we find a healer instead of a DPS for the open slot.

I dunno where all this extra DPS is gonna come from in the first place from SCH since I can run out of MP super easy on AST now just keeping up my single DoT and doing a very occasional nuke, I am thinking having to res a few times which is expected in new stuff would be worse. I'm sure it will get better a few raid tiers from now like it tends to do but I am skeptical right now.

This is the inverse of my experience on AST in the EX's so far; the only time I'm really worried about MP is if I die right after using Lucid and get up in time to AOE heal spam. There's so much passive healing for AST in both sects that raises don't dent much for me.

Also: Chain Stratagem, Balance, Lord card, Earthly Star, Selene's AOE haste thing, etc. All kinds of DPS at a personal and rDPS level that doesn't eat a GCD to WHM's assize.

WHM is in a weird spot where they seem desirable because the other two healers are fucking wacky. AST is bonkers and SCH is just a broken mess so I expect people to go with WHM/Noct but at the same time if SCH gets buffed WHM will just go back to the attic.

That being said I hope WHM not being as bad as previously thought doesn't mean folks let up on SE about Lillies being a trash mechanic.
Chain Stratagem

Also you should not be running out of MP on AST unless you're spamming Gravity or ressing

Kenai

Chain Stratagem

Ah, I was thinking personal DPS but good point!

Also yes people are dying and I have to res. A lot. More than 3 time per fight is rare but none is just as rare. I am confident that will get better and then maybe I can swim in all this MP I've heard so much about. I'm totally cool with just keeping up my DoT though, not gonna worry about MP problems that are out of my control or low personal DPS til raid members get gud. At least I know my static will learn quickly.

This is the inverse of my experience on AST in the EX's so far; the only time I'm really worried about MP is if I die right after using Lucid and get up in time to AOE heal spam. There's so much passive healing for AST in both sects that raises don't dent much for me.

Also: Chain Stratagem, Balance, Lord card, Earthly Star, Selene's AOE haste thing, etc. All kinds of DPS at a personal and rDPS level that doesn't eat a GCD to WHM's assize.

I was thinking Thin Air and all of the (admittedly random) Lilly to GCD conversion would add up to extra MP to DPS time that SCH wouldn't have. They are lacking that key Balance/Stratagem style raid buff but that's about all they are lacking, so I don't think that's actually too bad. Not ideal certainly.

I don't have high enough ilvl to even do EX stuff yet, tho I am close. Doing even a few Gravity stuffs kills my MP, but that's 70 dungeons and so there wouldn't be much trash on primals. Earthy Star is great but that's once a minute. I can't rely on getting personal Ewer on a regular basis either. MP efficiency comes with people (me included) messing up less and DPS going up so I'm sure it will get better but it's just not there now. Not with any consistency.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why did they change the way you could resize the menu and the dialogue boxes? It was perfect before. Now they are both too small, and the only way (that I could find) to get them bigger is to resize the entire UI to 150%. But when doing that, even though I could shrink down many other parts of the UI, both the menu and the dialogue boxes become too big.

Why did they change this? It was perfect before. Christ.

They're working on a fix for that.

iammeiam

I was thinking Thin Air and all of the (admittedly random) Lilly to GCD conversion would add up to extra DPS time that SCH wouldn't have. They are lacking that key Balance/Stratagem style raid buff but that's about all they are lacking, so I don't think that's actually too bad. Not ideal certainly.

WHM definitely shouldn't be MP-bound at this point, but they're likely to be GCD-bound in terms of contribution, I think? Unless people go inverse-ARR and just designate the WHM as off-healer and expect them to only heal when absolutely necessary but it does mean when things go wrong WHM contribution will fall off a cliff (vs AST of "Oh my god why do you all have bleed" of spamming heal GCDs and still getting to toss out balance/Lord/etc). Refresh being literally free for ranged to use, if you have a bard or machinist, should mean a lot more mid-combat MP restoration going out because there's no longer a damage hit alongside it.

They're going to be god-tier for dungeons and I'm really looking forward to getting everything else out of the way so I can just Holy Spam everything and go "shush DRK blood price got nerfed go away", but I think I've been hyping that up since like day -20. I really prefer WHM in dungeons.

I don't have high enough ilvl to even do EX stuff yet, tho I am close. Doing even a few Gravity stuffs kills my MP, but that's 70 dungeons and so there wouldn't be much trash on primals. Earthy Star is great but that's once a minute. I can't rely on getting personal Ewer on a regular basis either. MP efficiency comes with people (me included) messing up less and DPS going up so I'm sure it will get better but it's just not there now. Not with any consistency.

Ooh. Gravity can eat stuff, and I think you might actually suffer more if the tank does short pulls since I'm pretty fond of bottoming out at the end of the pull, tossing out an AB, and then just letting MP regen during the long run. I also abuse the hell out of AOE Balance/Collective/Lucid/Celestial for extended MP regen, regen on the tank and the short stun to by time, and bank Lady cards while spending Lords ASAP. Sleeve Draw is almost always garbage in terms of the actual cards it gives me (STOP GIVING ME SPEAR. STOP TRYING TO MAKE SPEAR HAPPEN), but it's a couple of extra Minor Arcana and Lady heals for a lot.

WHM will definitely be a lot more fun in dungeons once I can finally get around to getting that leveled, since nothing beats free stunlocks on every trash pack, but AST's new stuff has made the whole process better for me at least, but learning the pull patterns of dungeons was a huge part of that. I'm kind of expecting a potency nerf to both Minor Arcana cards and Earthly Star, because I probably shouldn't be able to do like 30k in heals in the space of one GCD.

Tank gear will also impact a lot because of the bonkers def/mdef scaling.

So just made my first macros and have a question,

I used the macro for my combo attack to save some hotbar space, is there a way to make it go in a definitive order and timing?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I used the macro for my combo attack to save some hotbar space, is there a way to make it go in a definitive order and timing?

From what I remember you shouldn't use macros for combos as it doesn't allow you to queue at all, but there's a wait command for timing.

This game is fantastic

Warriors of darkness part was really awesome. More gray villains is always good, they had a damn good reason to be doing what they were doing.

Squishy3

From what I remember you shouldn't use macros for combos as it doesn't allow you to queue at all, but there's a wait command for timing.

Yeah, don't macro your GCD abilities, especially to make a one button combo. You can't use the built in latency timing, and the wait macro you need to use even at its lowest setting takes longer than hitting the button normally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Every time I fight Lakshmi I fall in love with her a bit more is this intended.

Aeana

WHM definitely shouldn't be MP-bound at this point, but they're likely to be GCD-bound in terms of contribution, I think? Unless people go inverse-ARR and just designate the WHM as off-healer and expect them to only heal when absolutely necessary but it does mean when things go wrong WHM contribution will fall off a cliff (vs AST of "Oh my god why do you all have bleed" of spamming heal GCDs and still getting to toss out balance/Lord/etc). Refresh being literally free for ranged to use, if you have a bard or machinist, should mean a lot more mid-combat MP restoration going out because there's no longer a damage hit alongside it.

They're going to be god-tier for dungeons and I'm really looking forward to getting everything else out of the way so I can just Holy Spam everything and go "shush DRK blood price got nerfed go away", but I think I've been hyping that up since like day -20. I really prefer WHM in dungeons.

Ooh. Gravity can eat stuff, and I think you might actually suffer more if the tank does short pulls since I'm pretty fond of bottoming out at the end of the pull, tossing out an AB, and then just letting MP regen during the long run. I also abuse the hell out of AOE Balance/Collective/Lucid/Celestial for extended MP regen, regen on the tank and the short stun to by time, and bank Lady cards while spending Lords ASAP. Sleeve Draw is almost always garbage in terms of the actual cards it gives me (STOP GIVING ME SPEAR. STOP TRYING TO MAKE SPEAR HAPPEN), but it's a couple of extra Minor Arcana and Lady heals for a lot.

WHM will definitely be a lot more fun in dungeons once I can finally get around to getting that leveled, since nothing beats free stunlocks on every trash pack, but AST's new stuff has made the whole process better for me at least, but learning the pull patterns of dungeons was a huge part of that. I'm kind of expecting a potency nerf to both Minor Arcana cards and Earthly Star, because I probably shouldn't be able to do like 30k in heals in the space of one GCD.

Tank gear will also impact a lot because of the bonkers def/mdef scaling.

If I get spear and lucid dreaming is up, I just pair the two. 96 second lucid dreaming cooldown? Why not?

iammeiam

If I get spear and lucid dreaming is up, I just pair the two. 96 second lucid dreaming cooldown? Why not?

It's definitely solid when the stars align; master troll Sleeve Draw usually likes to give me +50% aoe RR and then Spire into Spear while I make displeased faces. I'm still trying to work out how Sleeve Draw 'feels' best; I try to have something non-awful Spread before popping it so that I don't spend forever with a Spread spire I can't click off and don't want to waste a RR on, but then that desyncs it with Lucid usually since I pop that fairly close to CD to line it up with Celestial Oppo.

Spear (and lilies tbh) would be a lot better if they worked like the AST lightspeed trait works and actually shaved time off stuff already on CD. But then I feel bad for wanting cards fixed because somehow Balance exists still.

Kenai

They're going to be god-tier for dungeons and I'm really looking forward to getting everything else out of the way so I can just Holy Spam everything and go "shush DRK blood price got nerfed go away", but I think I've been hyping that up since like day -20. I really prefer WHM in dungeons..

Yea I really like the Lady card a lot, forgot what it was like having multiple oGCD heals. I like Sleeve Draw because of it since I like having off-CD stuff to throw out (and sometimes I get dat double Balance with AoE RR and then I swoon). I am not really a stranger to the beginning-of-an-expansion healer MP struggle or anything so I am not surprised or anything, far from it, but I am just going to put my foot down if people wanna be scrubs about dying or being undergeared and then wondering where my phat AST deeps are or something, cause I'm not overgeared either lol. It's literally on the bottom of my to do list after everything else and sometimes everything else has been a lot.

It's definitely solid when the stars align; master troll Sleeve Draw usually likes to give me +50% aoe RR and then Spire into Spear while I make displeased faces. I'm still trying to work out how Sleeve Draw 'feels' best; I try to have something non-awful Spread before popping it so that I don't spend forever with a Spread spire I can't click off and don't want to waste a RR on, but then that desyncs it with Lucid usually since I pop that fairly close to CD to line it up with Celestial Oppo.

Spear (and lilies tbh) would be a lot better if they worked like the AST lightspeed trait works and actually shaved time off stuff already on CD. But then I feel bad for wanting cards fixed because somehow Balance exists still.

I can't tell you if it's optimal but I basically fish for a Balance and if I don't get one then I Sleeve Draw and then work with what I get from there. I am debating on if maybe I should wait a bit for the Redraw timer, but then it extends the draw timer when I do so I dunno.

Yeah, don't macro your GCD abilities, especially to make a one button combo. You can't use the built in latency timing, and the wait macro you need to use even at its lowest setting takes longer than hitting the button normally.

don't macro your combos.

Ha, thanks guys.

Actually I been messing around with this stuff for 3 hours and im actually figuring some stuff out.
Got a hotbar up in addition to my crossbar and im thinking of trying to bind moves to my PS4keypad I never use

Squishy3

... I think I might like new Dark Knight a lot. Siphon Strike refunding your Dark Arts cost so whenever you're not needing to generate aggro (or using it on Carve and Spit) you're just using it on Siphon Strike and Soul Eater and not having to worry about Darkside falling off is pretty good.

cerulily

How can i get an invite to the discord? I'm on ultros but i have my own small FC so i can't join the gaf FC. but it would be nice to talk to folks.

The instances broken again? Because yay! If I knew this would happen come the weekend I would've actually played the story more.

I'm lv64 MNK and DRK (mainly because DPS queues are bad), and I'm now stuck on the instance
with Yugiri and my boi Zenos.

Top Bottom