• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

So I'm having a great time with the ARR 30-day free trial, but it's almost done in a week.

I'm kinda interested in getting a sub, but I'm also interested in getting the expansions sometime down the line when I get up to the level requirements.

I see that Stormblood is 40 bucks, and a 1-month sub in Canada is almost 20 bucks.
Seeing how Stormblood comes with both Heavensward and 30 days free, is that a pretty good deal? Is that 30 day free game time applicable even if I already took the ARR free trial?

I'm OK with not getting to the expansions in that 1 month.

My sub ends it 3 days, my controller is busted. Well that was a lackluster tap out of FF14. I'll be back in for 4.1. I need a break, play other things, it's me not you.

B.K.

I wish there was a way to put note marks in the zone map, like you could in XI. I would like to be able to mark where timed and Ephemeral nodes spawn at.

Clyde Donovan

Neo Member
So as a Dragoon what should I use as a second ring accessory? Right now using the Ala Mhigan tomestone gear but I can only buy the one ring.

Preferably not wasting too much money on the marketboard. Right now I'm using one of the slaying ones I got during MSQ.

Zuly

So as a Dragoon what should I use as a second ring accessory? Right now using the Ala Mhigan tomestone gear but I can only buy the one ring.

Preferably not wasting too much money on the marketboard. Right now I'm using one of the slaying ones I got during MSQ.

You have a few options. The Lakshmi ones from the Extreme version of the trial, the Omega raid and a normal dungeon drop from any of the level 70 dungeons. There's also Omega Savage Raid.

Orcastar

Yes. Are you going to say that the start of XIV is anything other than a shitstorm?

And Tibia is not obscure. It is iconic. Clearly you haven't experienced it.

The start of XIV was fine back when I played it. Sure, the game starts out slow, but it's much better than vanilla WoW or Guild Wars 2, for example.

I see you're using the word iconic in the same way Ubisoft does.

Squishy3

The start of XIV was fine back when I played it. Sure, the game starts out slow, but it's much better than vanilla WoW or Guild Wars 2, for example.

I see you're using the word iconic in the same way Ubisoft does.
They actually went and ruined initial Guild Wars 2 since you're locked out of abilities by level instead of just using the weapons to unlock them like it was at launch. This also applies to your downed and underwater abilities, so if you get downed and nobody's around you're basically SOL.

Luminaire

How can you people speak of freedom when we rot away here in Community!

Lakshmi was pretty chill too. No primals seem super pissed anymore.

ubercheez

So I'm having a great time with the ARR 30-day free trial, but it's almost done in a week.

I'm kinda interested in getting a sub, but I'm also interested in getting the expansions sometime down the line when I get up to the level requirements.

I see that Stormblood is 40 bucks, and a 1-month sub in Canada is almost 20 bucks.
Seeing how Stormblood comes with both Heavensward and 30 days free, is that a pretty good deal? Is that 30 day free game time applicable even if I already took the ARR free trial?

I'm OK with not getting to the expansions in that 1 month.

Free trials aren't time-limited anymore. You can stay on your free trial up to level 35 (in as many different jobs as you wish).

When you do decide to purchase, the expansions do not include game time, only the base game does. But if you buy a package that includes the base game, you'll get the game time.

Edit: I just realized you probably meant you already have ARR and you're talking about the game time it comes with. In that case, you have to buy game time going forward, since the expansions don't include any.

Free trials aren't time-limited anymore. You can stay on your free trial up to level 35 (in as many different jobs as you wish).

When you do decide to purchase, the expansions do not include game time, only the base game does. But if you buy a package that includes the base game, you'll get the game time.

Edit: I just realized you probably meant you already have ARR and you're talking about the game time it comes with. In that case, you have to buy game time going forward, since the expansions don't include any.

Ah, You're right; I got confused by the big circle on the Stormblood box art, because ARR had the circle with the free 30 days written on it. Silly mistake.

Thanks anyways. I'm just gonna get the one month then, and wait for the expansion to go on sale.

Squishy3

How can you people speak of freedom when we rot away here in Community!

Lakshmi was pretty chill too. No primals seem super pissed anymore.
Eh, it varies on the Primal. Sophia, for example, is probably one of the most dangerous primals even though she doesn't necessarily have the strength as say, Sephirot or Zurvan or the various other Primals we've fought.

What she possessed was cunning. You haven't really seen that in the game since... Garuda?

Spoilers for the Warring Triad storyline added in the Heavensward patches:

Doing her quest reveals she'd devised a plan to be captured with her thralls (the quest states the prison was in the heart of Allag) and she conspired with a rebel group among the Allagans to have a flaw placed on her restraints. She would then be summarily freed by the rebel group, free Bahamut, and wreak havoc on the Allagans. However, the Allagans found out the rebel group and executed them all ensuring her plan never came to fruition, until the present day when the Warring Triad was roused by King Thordan.

studyguy

My savage 1 & 2 logs have been fucking pathetic, but I was being cautious as fuck in ShO both the first day running them. Clearing them while still learning them is silly, literally my clear parse was the first time I had seen anything beyond the split launch AoE.
Time for SwO.

H E A L E R S
A D J U S T

iammeiam

My savage 1 & 2 logs have been fucking pathetic, but I was being cautious as fuck in ShO both the first day running them. Clearing them while still learning them is silly, literally my clear parse was the first time I had seen anything beyond the split launch AoE.
Time for SwO.

H E A L E R S
A D J U S T

The thing about not being a career healer is I am fucking garbage at paying attention to what tanks have up. At full health and have a shield? My job is done gl hf

As a result, I am just now realizing this is what our PLD does in the back half of O4S:
zFKK9qO.png

fuck this I want to go back to being a DPS wtf

(and then I realize the only reason it's that low is because aggro resets. I now understand why threat is such a struggle.)

(that said apparently it can't be that bad if I'm literally now only figuring this out. but still.)

Edzi

I'm a bit late, but I just unlocked the whole wondrous tales thing yesterday and I'm wondering exactly how the weekly structure works. If I don't finish one book by Tuesday, is that now useless? It's required to do each weekly book within that same week?

Demoskinos

Apologies if this is in bad taste for posting this (didn't see any rules about this in the OP) but my crew is starting to get desperate here.

My Raid team (on Ultros Server) had a few members bail at the beginning of storm blood. We found someone to fill the Bard role but now our WHM has also left because he wanted to play RDM and got an offer from another group.

So here is the deal. Right now were needing a Healer WHM/AST (SCH is covered) and Tank (WAR/PLD DRK is covered)

There is possibly some wiggle room here. I play and want to play a RDM but can also end up doing AST if needed. And our raid lead and SCH could possibly also go WAR instead.

If anyone is interested PM me I can get you in touch with my raid lead and specifics can be discussed.

Squishy3

I'm a bit late, but I just unlocked the whole wondrous tales thing yesterday and I'm wondering exactly how the weekly structure works. If I don't finish one book by Tuesday, is that now useless? It's required to do each weekly book within that same week?
You have 2 weeks to do each book, basically. So say you pick one up today, you can still do it and turn it in next week after the weekly reset on Tuesday. You can then also pick up that week's book. 2 Tuesdays pass without turning in a book, and it's expired.

ebil

Time for SwO.

H E A L E R S
A D J U S T
My 1s log for last week is garbage, and then I remembered I have 7 rez, 1 death of my own, and one minute towards the end dancing around my healers ocasionally doing the unenchanted melee combo because I literally didn't have MP to keep casting spells.

Like, we technically wiped and still cleared this.

scy

"So how do we make tanks use tank stance more often?"
"Why don't we reset threat every 60 seconds?"

My 1s log for last week is garbage, and then I remembered I have 7 rez, 1 death of my own, and one minute towards the end dancing around my healers ocasionally doing the unenchanted melee combo because I literally didn't have MP to keep casting spells.

Like, we technically wiped and still cleared this.

I feel bad for our DPS, we cleared basically all of 1-3 with the occasional DPS just eating dirt for the last leg of most the fights (hell, O2S all four DPS died due to "we only stack 4 for this" Long Drop strats).

First week clears are hilarious.

iammeiam

The T designation for Coil was dumb, but was decided before people realized the numbers would reset. A was a proactive move to get away from repeating the mistakes of Coil (I think at some point there was some weird push for F for floor and it was ignored, as should have been the case), and team OxS in going to do its damnedest to prevent the V heathens from dragging us back into the dark ages.

I feel bad for our DPS, we cleared basically all of 1-3 with the occasional DPS just eating dirt for the last leg of most the fights (hell, O2S all four DPS died due to "we only stack 4 for this" Long Drop strats).

That is a dirty lie and you should feel bad.

They died due to our WAR standing on top of them yelling at tanks and healers to run out and not, himself, running out. Same thing would have happened if we did it right, since he wouldn't have hit float.

They survived the four stack just fine. Aspected Helios still OP as fuck, go throw rocks somewhere and stop slandering mitigation.

ebil

Speaking of Long Drop in 2s, our WAR wiped us twice on it while we were learning it, saying he never got knocked back.

And then it dawned on us.
Doubly hilarious because I'm sure that, like Tempered Will, it won't work for half the mechanics where it could actually be useful.

scy

That is a dirty lie and you should feel bad.

They died due to our WAR standing on top of them yelling at tanks and healers to run out and not, himself, running out. Same thing would have happened if we did it right, since he wouldn't have hit float.

They survived the four stack just fine. Aspected Helios still OP as fuck, go throw rocks somewhere and stop slandering mitigation.

haha, true! A different sort of Long Drop failing. Maybe this time the DPS can make it out alive instead of watching tanks+healers kill it anyway.

Speaking of Long Drop in 2s, our WAR wiped us twice on it while we were learning it, saying he never got knocked back.

And then it dawned on us.
Doubly hilarious because I'm sure that, like Tempered Will, it won't work for half the mechanics where it could actually be useful.

I can guarantee that whenever it does work, it's because the mechanic getting blocked is a bad outcome :|

I'm legitimately surprised I can Surecast through O4S Vacuum Wave. A shame it does nothing for Off-balance though. It's probably the only occasion I can think of in Savage it works in your favor.

But A never had numbers.

:thinking:

All the more reason to ignore their floor names and just refer to them as numbers anyway! Hell, Alexander also changed it's own internal naming convention for the last tier.

Alex

I feel like I should be surprised or annoyed by a 200+ upvoted thread on Reddit whining about the removal of Wide Volley, an ability that was objectively worse than Quick Nock while also costing more TP but sadly I'm not.

I normally have an OK time with the places on Reddit I follow but the XIV sub probably kills more brain cells than rampant alcoholism.

Squishy3

I feel like I should be surprised or annoyed by a 200+ upvoted thread on Reddit whining about the removal of Wide Volley, an ability that was objectively worse than Quick Nock while also costing more TP but sadly I'm not.

I normally have an OK time with the places on Reddit I follow but the XIV sub probably kills more brain cells than rampant alcoholism.
It's more because of the animation being completely gone than anything else.

You have all these other cool looking skills... and then your spammable AOE move is you standing still and shooting a bunch of arrows with no special effects even present on them.

B.K.

I was just looking in the duty finder and V2S is still locked. Does anyone know why it would be locked? I cleared V1S over the weekend.

Alex

It's more because of the animation being completely gone than anything else.

You have all these other cool looking skills... and then your spammable AOE move is you standing still and shooting a bunch of arrows with no special effects even present on them.

I actually kinda like the animation of Quick Nock with how the arrows curve out and then litter the ground in their cone but I do like the color work on Wide Volley more.I don't like the sounds on either but I dislike the sounds on most of the AoE, none moreso than MCH, though.

Still what you said is what I thought and I sympathized with that to a degree but after reading the comments there are a good number of people who don't understand their core abilities that have functioned in the same manner since ARR launch.

iammeiam

I was just looking in the duty finder and V2S is still locked. Does anyone know why it would be locked? I cleared V1S over the weekend.

Today is reset day; you need to kill O1S this week to get access to 2S, and on from there. Will happen every Tuesday for the duration of lockout. iLevel can play in too, but unless you killed O1S today you should have a red PROGRESS under the reason you can't queue.

B.K.

Today is reset day; you need to kill O1S this week to get access to 2S, and on from there. Will happen every Tuesday for the duration of lockout. iLevel can play in too, but unless you killed O1S today you should have a red PROGRESS under the reason you can't queue.

So, you can't unlock it for good? That's stupid.

scy

It's so you don't miss loot trying to just DF it; skipping to O2S means not getting loot from O1S for the week.

Squishy3

It's to ensure you don't progress and screw yourself out of a page, since if you progress further you can't get anything from earlier floors, not even a page. It'll be unlocked permanently when 4.2 comes out with the next wing of the raid.

iammeiam

As mentioned, it's to prevent you from screwing yourself out of loot.

However, if you don't care about clearing O1S this week, you can join PFs for any floor. The queue restriction is just for the party leader selecting the floor; in a full premade party with a lead who cleared this week, you can skip around but will lock yourself out of the 1 drops and page for the week. And once you've been 'locked' to 2 for the week, you'll be able to queue for it yourself.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
since if you progress further you can't get anything from earlier floors, not even a page.

I didn't know this. Why would they do that?

Who in god's name thought this was sensible?

Made it to books once despite our AST dying pretty much once every phase yay

Good thing we have a replace coming up because holy shit he's anchoring us down hard. Everyone else got everything to dragon down but I can't solo heal that shit

Made it into my first farming Susano PF, went better than expected, got 6kills in a row with the same group, got the mountsome shitty crafting item on the 5th kill, then we replaced a tank and a DPS and the new DPS got the first lightning cloud into the raid 3times in a row(the first as in, the one during first phase) and the other tank then proceeded to kill us on the one that was recoverable because he didn't know you have to click the sword thing(also was one of these mysterious "no darkside dark knight") and it disbanded.

Actually wasted some verity on this tank just so I could get 310 and get into the PFs since they're always missing tanks. The funny thing is tanking it is by far the easiest job, and yet the most in demand for these PFs.

BLCKATK

Been lurking a lot reading discussions and what not. It's fun to hear about everyones progress, and I'm glad to see a lot of people trying out savage. I've been encouraging people in my FC to give it a shot.

I cleared O1s and O2s within the first two days last week and then took some time away from the game to work a crazy amount of hours. Back at it again this week, working on trying to push those PLD numbers. I really wish I had a static. I'm running with my two old raid friends and a couple from the EU that we met on our runs, subbing in who we can from FC and friendlist. It's been fun, but scheduling sucks! I'm surprised at how puggable this all is though.

Working on the Library phase of O3s now. The fight has been a blast so far and I'm in no rush to beat it, more focused on actually having a group to play with than anything else. Also trying to push that PLD utility and damage!

Luminaire

V3S has been fun to learn. Pretty heal intensive on some parts in the library, but just a timing thing really. Got to the spot after it and had to call it a night. Spent too much time with the stupid tentacles tonight.

Top Bottom