• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

aceface

Quick question: Just unlocked SCH and I'm wondering when I should use Selene and when I should use Eos. Just looking at them it seems like Eos is generally the better choice, but I'm sure Selene is better in spots.

Basically, bring Eos if you think you're going to be doing more healing, otherwise bring Selene. Eos gives you 3 extra healing cooldowns- a party-wide HP regen, a party-wide 20% magic defense up buff, and a 10% buff to your own healing. If you don't think you're going to need these cooldowns, bring Selene- her Fey Wind buff speeds everyone up and adds a few percentage points to DPS, which means things might die a little quicker. For me, I only find that Eos's cooldowns are necessary in the highest level content, for pretty much everything else I bring Selene. But, if you want to have the safety blanket of having those extra cooldowns available, bringing Eos is fine. No one else is going care one way or the other generally.

I hope otter has more outfits cause otter is best boy
DFpp6SfW0AALBo-.jpg

Incredible

iammeiam

For those doing O4S, are you guys using Vit melds on the crafted accessories?

Yes to VIT, crafted accessories vary. At some point left side gear will make this less of a thing, and to be fair I don't think there's a strict HP threshold for anyone (we've been doing the max-melee-uptime strat that at one point is like "It's fine, the healer should only take 32k!"), and it follows the XIV fight flow of bursts of healing and bursts of downtime, but when O4S wants to hit hard, it hits hard.

Like, this is a 9 minute O2S clear:

9 minutes, around 3.7 million HP healed total, just shy of 40% overheal because bad at healing.

This is the first forty seconds of combat post-phase-transition in O4S:

In 40 seconds we do 25% of the healing in an entire O2S, with less overheal overall.

And the buster thing there happens more than once throughout the fight; we rotate through mitigation stuff to keep up, but it's always a big deal. There's downtime, but when the fight wants to hit hard at current gearing, it hurts, and it's the first fight I've hit where having to use a healing cool down at an unplanned time is reason to panic later.

At some point MDef and vit from the left side will help smooth this out, but for the moment bring Vit melds (even if you don't have crafted and can't pentameld) because everything hurts.

The fight also has a soft enrage
that kind of mirrors J-Waves in A8S where he hits harder and harder and harder for a while before eventually hard enraging; more HP helps there as well.

Squishy3

Vit melds are basically mandatory AFAIK
Yeah, I was just looking at the vids for it and the DPS are sitting at 39/40K HP which puts them at two VIT VI melds on all their accessories. (that's like 5300 HP alone) and seems to be enough. And yeah, it should become less of a thing as armor values increase and whatnot week after week.

That 17% chance VI meld choice though. Thank god I can play tank for the clusters lmao.

iammeiam

Yeah, I was just looking at the vids for it and the DPS are sitting at 39/40K HP which puts them at two VIT VI melds on all their accessories. (that's like 5300 HP alone) and seems to be enough. (I'm sitting at 34,605 with no Vit melds right now) And yeah, it should become less of a thing as armor values increase and whatnot week after week.

You can only do one Vit VI per accessory, crafted or no. Main stats can't be overmelded, and Vit counts as main stat.

It's like 2.7k hp out-of-party from Vit VI in all right-side slots

Squishy3

You can only do one Vit VI per accessory, crafted or no. Main stats can't be overmelded, and Vit counts as main stat.

It's like 2.7k hp out-of-party from Vit VI in all right-side slots
Oh right, forgot Vit's considered a main stat. That's not as bad then, at least.

Still not looking forward to overmelding my other VI materia, though.

Orb

I've started to grind Astrologian and its REALLY fun so far, I love focusing on teammates health rather than my dps

Only turn off is the grind ahead :/ need to grind up like 22 levels

Yes to VIT, crafted accessories vary. At some point left side gear will make this less of a thing, and to be fair I don't think there's a strict HP threshold for anyone (we've been doing the max-melee-uptime strat that at one point is like "It's fine, the healer should only take 32k!"), and it follows the XIV fight flow of bursts of healing and bursts of downtime, but when O4S wants to hit hard, it hits hard.
From what I saw I believe you need at the very least 31k as a healer in v4 which can't be done with week 1 gear without melds

kaze343

Healer asks for big pulls. Healer goes into MAXXX DEEPS MODE!!!!! Die on first pull after popping all cds. Die on second pull. Ok. Start doing normal pulls. Die on a normal pull. Healer tells me to pull more. I say nope, don't trust your healing. Healer gets pissy and whiney and calls me a shitty tank
he's not wrong......

nothing is ever the healers fault. either the tank popped a cd too late, or the healers net messed up.
source: Im a healer.

Orb

Holy shit

Holy shit

Just fought the boss of floor 80 in potd and halfway through he wiped everyone but this WAR and the fucking badass tanked and survived by himself

So question... When you are queuing for savage raids or extreme primals, do you get disappointed when you see a white mage as one of your healers? Someone earlier today said something like "damn a whm, where all the ast at" or something. I preceeded to stay alive the longest on omega s1 but still. It bothered me. I like healing as white mage but didn't really think they were disliked that much. To be fair, it's the first time I've heard that.
I consider myself a damn good healer (always one in mmos). So it just bugs me lol I have a 70 ast and SCH so I know they are good but.. Whm isn't that bad is it?

So question... When you are queuing for savage raids or extreme primals, do you get disappointed when you see a white mage as one of your healers? Someone earlier today said something like "damn a whm, where all the ast at" or something. I preceeded to stay alive the longest on omega s1 but still. It bothered me. I like healing as white mage but didn't really think they were disliked that much. To be fair, it's the first time I've heard that.
I consider myself a damn good healer (always one in mmos). So it just bugs me lol I have a 70 ast and SCH so I know they are good but.. Whm isn't that bad is it?
WHM is amazing for prog in the current tier

Really? Glad to hear then. I guess why just didn't know what he was talking about?
Yeah. All healer comps are doing fine and have their pros and cons. Experienced groups will likely favor AST because they don't need the extra safety net WHM brings but don't let anyone tell meme you out of the job.

Yeah. All healer comps are doing fine and have their pros and cons. Experienced groups will likely favor AST because they don't need the extra safety net WHM brings but don't let anyone tell meme you out of the job.

Thanks for the reassurance lol. I really do enjoy healing as white mage. I honestly didn't realize they were the underdog healer now. I used to raid heavily in arr when it was only sch and whm lol didn't do anything in heavensward besides the story really.

iammeiam

wait wut? WHM is good now? What about the napkin math?

Napkin math said basically exactly what happened? Lilies are still garbage. WHM is still the same job it was at 60; they have the same weak points (no meaningful mitigation, no raid utility), and the same strengths (potency out the ass.) They didn't make the job more complete at all, and the plenary change made confessions not useless but still didn't improve the job or grow it beyond the same thing it's been for years and the second people gear up to the point throughput isn't needed we're potentially looking at Creator all over again. Nerfed Balance still beats out Absolutely Nothing. It will remain the best dungeon healer.

Like, it'll still be a viable job. Lilies will still be a mess and a disappointing core mechanic for the expansion. Nothing has changed; people will still boil all criticism down to Total Garbage, but that was never the actual problem, so it not being Total Garbage is... not an actual shift.

Quick question: Just unlocked SCH and I'm wondering when I should use Selene and when I should use Eos. Just looking at them it seems like Eos is generally the better choice, but I'm sure Selene is better in spots.

Personally I mostly use Eos in dungeons/trials/whatever, and only use Selene for soloing. While selene has a relatively nice speed buff, it's not that impactful and the uptime is only 50%. It's good if you really need low healing, so it's ok in lower level dungeons too, however having Eos means I can often not heal at all in these dungeons even when an aoe goes off or the tank pulls a bunch of stuff or whatever, meaning I do more damage, meaning the speed buff damage bonus evens out if that. It's such a minor buff that honestly just hitting an additional Ruin/Broil/Broil II probably beats it, at least in 4man content. 8man if it's like unsynced stomping low stuff then it doesn't matter but for content that matters, Eos healing output is great since most 8man content involves aoes and stuff so again, Eos more useful.

You do want to manually control Eos spells though, so you cast them in the right order and for the right situation, while Selene can be left on Sic and just autocast the buff whenever, unless you need the aoe esuna specifically(but generally if there's something I'd need to aoe esuna, Eos aoe regen would just negate it the same so I'd just use that).

They really should buff Selene imo, she's super situational outside of speedrunning. Remove the silence and add a debuff of some sort instead(increased damage or reduced damage or something like that) and it'd become more useful, especially with the loss of super virus.

Bowlie

Banned
We got O2S down to 4% tonight, I'm sure we'll make it on our next raid night \o/

One thing that the group have been noticing is that multiple times during our attempts
one of the probes would lose the eye marker above them, signaling they're safe, and we would go to that corner only to be hit by the AoE attack, like they were not safe.

That happened in our two last runs tonight, which made us call it quits, it's annoying.

Napkin math said basically exactly what happened? Lilies are still garbage. WHM is still the same job it was at 60; they have the same weak points (no meaningful mitigation, no raid utility), and the same strengths (potency out the ass.) They didn't make the job more complete at all, and the plenary change made confessions not useless but still didn't improve the job or grow it beyond the same thing it's been for years and the second people gear up to the point throughput isn't needed we're potentially looking at Creator all over again. Nerfed Balance still beats out Absolutely Nothing. It will remain the best dungeon healer.

Like, it'll still be a viable job. Lilies will still be a mess and a disappointing core mechanic for the expansion. Nothing has changed; people will still boil all criticism down to Total Garbage, but that was never the actual problem, so it not being Total Garbage is... not an actual shift.
I'm still hoping out on more work being done on Lilies down the line. They can't be that fucking stubborn.
We got O2S down to 4% tonight, I'm sure we'll make it on our next raid night o/

One thing that the group have been noticing is that multiple times during our attempts
one of the probes would lose the eye marker above them, signaling they're safe, and we would go to that corner only to be hit by the AoE attack, like they were not safe.

That happened in our two last runs tonight, which made us call it quits, it's annoying.
More than one tentacle can lose an eye, you're supposed to look for the first one to fall off.

Squishy3

We got O2S down to 4% tonight, I'm sure we'll make it on our next raid night \o/

You have to jam your butts all the way in that corner, if that's not the issue then you're actually misreading as eventually all of them stop wiggling.

It's not that, in those instances only one was without the marker by the end. Though another one had lost the marker and quickly gotten it again, maybe that's it?
Are you putting the probes at the edge of the arena or are you doing the close to the center srat?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait can you actually put the tentacles all to one side? Because that would make it a lot easier (if your group could pull it off).

iammeiam

Wait can you actually put the tentacles all to one side? Because that would make it a lot easier (if your group could pull it off).

They work like A12s crystals--they don't do the AOE (they do a small AOE when they drop, but not the big death one), they're the indicator. If you drop them in the same half of the arena, you basically won't know where the safe space is.

We did the mid-wagon-wheel placement this week and they seemed to work normally for us? easier to see them all at once, too.

Luminaire

We were wiping a lot this week due to tentacles either never deactivating or deactivating late. Wish I knew what the fuck was causing it as it was infuriating after the 7th wipe. Last week we did it no problem and changed nothing this week.

Xux

Not at 60+. On my WAR I did a run and it somehow gave me quite a decent bit of xp at 58, but it might have been because of the weekly challenge stuff too I'll check again tomorrow. Overall it's not a very good queue for xp, but it's a nice change of pace. Sadly it's quite often the MSQ dungeons lately so I've stopped doing it since even as a change of pace it was getting boring, not enough random side dungeons that I haven't done many times.
Yeah, I get Snow Cloak and Xelphatol a lot but feel like it's been a couple years since I've done Haukke Hard, Sirius Hard, 3.0 expert, Arboretum, and others. I really like dungeons so I'd like more variety.

Yeah, in fact too pathetically easy. People still wipe long drop placement though. It's hilarious.

Well, I wouldn't say too pathetically easy or else people wouldn't be wiping at all lol.

Mainly what's been happening in my pugs is tanks fucking up the switch or not having cooldowns ready for evil sphere, or healers killing all four dps with the first gravity burst. Feels like people are trying to react instead of remember.

Well, I wouldn't say too pathetically easy or else people wouldn't be wiping at all lol.

Mainly what's been happening in my pugs is tanks fucking up the switch or not having cooldowns ready for evil sphere, or healers killing all four dps with the first gravity burst. Feels like people are trying to react instead of remember.

Meh, it's A pick up group so anything can happen. I personally find it easy enough to learn the mechanics which pretty much does not even take much coordination to begin with. It's really the point of frustration when you yourself know the fight and people are wiping you though. That can make an easy fight look hard to some. Okay maybe my wording was wrong but it's not that harder than O1S and isn't a huge spike by any means. The hardest part for me is getting the sch to put shields up so we're not one shot by gravitational wave <_<

Omni

Last week I was AST for v1/2 and WHM for v3/4. Stuck with AST in 3s today now that we're done with prog and can start optimising. Literally knocked a minute off our clear time xD

Will go back to WHM for v4s tomorrow, I guess. Adjusting to different jobs is a bit of a mess though

Meh, it's A pick up group so anything can happen. I personally find it easy enough to learn the mechanics which pretty much does not even take much coordination to begin with. It's really the point of frustration when you yourself know the fight and people are wiping you though. That can make an easy fight look hard to some. Okay maybe my wording was wrong but it's not that harder than O1S and isn't a huge spike by any means. The hardest part for me is getting the sch to put shields up so we're not one shot by gravitational wave <_<

Nah, I get what you meant lol. I've been one of the DPS getting blown up in the first gravity burst for a few days -_-

Marlboro server first for six of us

Levi server ten millionth for healer scrubs

Literal world worst AST; 0 fucks given, come at me

Congrats man! I hope to do this to.... just need a raid group to progress O3S but it's been taking years to find a static because nobody wants to raid on the weekend or they raid during my work hours. It sucks.

IvorB

I mean, the whole point of the instancing is so the former doesn't happen. The game just wasn't designed to have hundreds of players in one dinky little space at the same time and A/S ranks are a shitshow right now because of the stupid mount and Mat VIs.

If anything, its hunts that need to be addressed somehow. Ixion is a fucking sham.

Well, I've already ranted enough about how that's not an acceptable solution for me so I'm not going to start again. And I'm not even talking about S ranks but just basic A rank hunt that's not even close to 100s people showing up. So basically are you saying they have to make hunts as unpopular and unattractive as possible so that their poor servers can handle it? It's 2017, man...

Also what mount do you mean, by the way? Is there a new mount for hunts?

O4S down ;_;

Marlboro server first for six of us

Levi server ten millionth for healer scrubs

Literal world worst AST; 0 fucks given, come at me

Congrats!

Top Bottom