• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Apoptomon

IIRC for the Falcon thing you need a cumulative total of 90days subbed between July and October. So for multi-month subs as long as the days remaining at the start of july + how many days you have banked by the start of October >= 90 it should be fine(?) Maybe...
.. As for anyone on entry/monthly subs, I gather eligibility wont be until Oct 4.

aceface

Luminaire

Alright, I just thought I would ask as I am confused about what my healer partner in the static asked of me yesterday for next raid. She said my drawing cards is low on AST during raid and she said I like to redraw whenever I get a crappy card. She suggests using bole.... which to me is kind of useless but she did say I should use bole if I have no other options as it is better than praying for lord. Should I take her advice? All the years I played ast usually consisted of not using the trash cards unless I really have nothing to use. Obviously, she suggests bole being used last in the "useful" cards. In my opinion... I would rather NOT use bole as the damage reduction is already in effect by shields. What really needs bole that I dont know of? Anyway, she just wants me to use cards more often than just rolling for good ones so I can become versatile. I don't necessarily agree with her but it's something that did catch my eye.
I ignore Bole usually. By the time it'd be useful, I'd be close to drawing another card anyways. I mean if you're just throwing it away otherwise, go for it I guess.

Jeels

How is machinist 60 to 70? I had fun with it up to 50 but didn't really enjoy 50-60 because it essentially became a caster with the proc and burst mechanics added on. Mainly I just hated that it was a caster and I couldn't run around.

Astral

Man O3S is so hard. I got to animal farm and died with the next normal panel Waltz almost instantly. Not even sure how. I'm guessing some people were in the wrong spots. I kinda don't wanna go through weeks of learning O4S after this.

Leunam

How is machinist 60 to 70? I had fun with it up to 50 but didn't really enjoy 50-60 because it essentially became a caster with the proc and burst mechanics added on. Mainly I just hated that it was a caster and I couldn't run around.

All I can say is that it's no longer a caster. Haven't leveled it to 70 from 60 yet.

MechaX

Coming from someone who spent their jump potion on MCH for some reason, I... am not quite sure what the game plan is for the class in the early 60s. Maybe it gets better when you get the Heated moves plus an actual way to control and use Heat.

Still enjoyed BRD by far, but then again, I like BRD a lot more in this expac than most of the other classes by a huge margin.

Man O3S is so hard.

At this point (after weeks of practice/wiping with a couple of clears in the last two runs w/ my static), Mindjack is the only mechanic in v3s that gives me trouble (the window to adjust your character is soooooo short). Everything else is second nature.

Qvoth

Man O3S is so hard. I got to animal farm and died with the next normal panel Waltz almost instantly. Not even sure how. I'm guessing some people were in the wrong spots. I kinda don't wanna go through weeks of learning O4S after this.

yep, like i mentioned earlier, every fight in the game is just a battle with familiarity
mindjack (and keeping high enough dps for the kill) is the true hard part of v3s

Rua

I love this fight but hate doing it with pugs. Someone's always trying to sneak in when they haven't learned the fight to try and get carried.

Still haven't cleared it, 1% enrage wipe is the closest I've gotten. I need to find a static already.

Heartfyre

IIRC for the Falcon thing you need a cumulative total of 90days subbed between July and October. So for multi-month subs as long as the days remaining at the start of july + how many days you have banked by the start of October >= 90 it should be fine(?) Maybe...
.. As for anyone on entry/monthly subs, I gather eligibility wont be until Oct 4.

It also doesn't count for any free time you get through their various campaigns. I got fifteen extra days for levelling a new character to 30 on Louisoix, which moved my resub date from the 14th to the 29th...which means I'll get the mount with one day left before the deadline. A mighty close thing, to think I could have never cancelled my subscription and still missed out on the mount...

iammeiam

MCH is a disaster until 64; it's fun at 70 but also an epic mess if you're not on top of your GCDs. I'm pretty sure it's harder than HW MCH was at this point; getting the most out of Overheat involves delaying an oGCD until like 75% of the way through your GCD, then hitting the next GCD before the impact of the next oGCD has fully registered, but not too early such that the server never gets it.

Alright, I just thought I would ask as I am confused about what my healer partner in the static asked of me yesterday for next raid. She said my drawing cards is low on AST during raid and she said I like to redraw whenever I get a crappy card. She suggests using bole.... which to me is kind of useless but she did say I should use bole if I have no other options as it is better than praying for lord. Should I take her advice? All the years I played ast usually consisted of not using the trash cards unless I really have nothing to use. Obviously, she suggests bole being used last in the "useful" cards. In my opinion... I would rather NOT use bole as the damage reduction is already in effect by shields. What really needs bole that I dont know of? Anyway, she just wants me to use cards more often than just rolling for good ones so I can become versatile. I don't necessarily agree with her but it's something that did catch my eye.

This is bad advice. This was bad advice before we had Minor Arcana for card recycling, and it's even worse now.

Disclaimer: None of this applies to disaster clears where you're mid-wipe, everyone's cool downs are jacked up, and you're just trying to limp along in the fight to whittle health down. Everyone does unorthodox weird stuff trying to survive the unsurvivable, and nobody's going to judge you for dropping an Enhanced Bole on a tank about to take a buster they had no plan for.

However: Cards are only good if you can point to them and say "this accomplished X in the fight." Balance and Arrow and Spear are easy--people did X more damage or had X% better crit rate while the card was out, improving raid DPS and letting us kill the thing faster!

Single-target Bole on your tank is useless because your tank should be planning cool downs such that he doesn't drop dead if you don't draw a Bole, and your healing plan for him is unlikely to change as a result of the Bole. Most ST healing is done via oGCDs this tier; Bole is only a gain if it gains a healer DPS cast in place of a GCD spent on a heal; if you drop a Bole on the tank and you don't gain a Malefic and your cohealer doesn't gain a Broil or Stone, it's a wasted card and you'd have been better of Minor Arcana'ing it for 50% shot at a Lord and a bonus free oGCD heal if you 'lose'.

AOE Bole is considerably worse--not only is it super unlikely that it's going to save you a heal cast, it actually costs you a draw because you lose the RR effect and will need at least two draws to get an RR card out, and even then it's not guaranteed to be an AOE card. Raid DPS will suffer, and if that Bole didn't gain damage casts for your cohealer or you (and it is super unlikely that it would), it ends up costing you rDPS in the end. Minor Arcana preserves your Royal Road for the next card, gives you a 50% shot at an oGCD nuke, and the 'failure' state is a decent free oGCD heal what it is very easy to get some real usage out of.

Generally the handful times I intentionally use a Bole are when I've got zero RR, no active cards, and a Bole sitting in Spread. It gets used there because a useless Bole isn't measurably worse than just throwing the card away, and if I get something good I'm just going to overwrite it anyway; if I could Minor Arcana spreads it'd be a different story.

But, no, seriously: Redraw and Minor Arcana are incredibly good and important tools, and you should feel free to use them aggressively unless you get a Bole at a perfect time you have a concrete usage for it (i.e., you get an AOE Bole just as you'd be expecting somebody to chuck up 10% mitigation on a raid wide attack you're used to barely surviving, and that person is currently decorating the floor.) Using an AOE Bole to bring the damage back down to in-line with what you're expecting and prepared to heal makes sense and is probably worth the 'cost' of not getting to use that RR on a future DPS increase card; using it Just Because and creating a situation where you just overheal 10% more makes less sense. Lady is at least a nice ohshit emergency heal that you can sit on until your next draw.

It does lead to incredibly frustrating runs where I don't get out nearly as many cards as I'd like, but at the end of the day there's no spot where I'm like "if everyone just took 10% less damage there, I wouldn't have to Helios!"

kagamin

First day of trying v3s and made it all the way to reapers! Gonna have to try again with the team tomorrow but they have more practice on this fight than me so that might also help a bit.

Qvoth

I love this fight but hate doing it with pugs. Someone's always trying to sneak in when they haven't learned the fight to try and get carried.

Still haven't cleared it, 1% enrage wipe is the closest I've gotten. I need to find a static already.

uhhh there's a duty completed option now for both PF and RF
that means only a cleared person can enter

Bole is only good in dungeons, when your tank plays the special version of the game where they have to paypal money to buy cooldowns so they don't use them until they're at 10% health. Just throw bole on them when they're pulling wall to wall because why wouldn't they be doing that on their cooldown restricted version, and that helps quite a bit. More so than casting balance on the blackmage doing his single target rotation on a 8mobs pull at least.

But yeah Bole you pretty much never use. Spire you also never use in raids, but it can be useful in dungeons when people are properly spamming aoes, although if both DPS are spamming aoes and they're geared appropriately, they should kill stuff before they run out of TP so even that isn't that useful. Ewer has niche uses, especially if you die or have to rez people and run low on mp, but most of the time it's just fodder too.

Omnicent

uhhh there's a duty completed option now for both PF and RF
that means only a cleared person can enter

They have not cleared it yet, so in this case what he said makes sense. IE: You are at enrage, ask for people at enrage to join your PF and you get some dude that has not even done the fight.
Sadly thats the PUG life. It does get better once you get that 1st clear though (and then you get troll chests, so you start making your own PF cause fuck those trolls) since as you mentioned you can set duty complete and completion.

komaruR

Yup. Theres always 1 or 2 that cant do mechanic and is looking for a carry which cant happen in o3s.
So i got fed up after atempting it 1 full week and made a idc chest and just want clear with only ppl that have cleared o3s. Wait for few hrs but there are some nice souls out there that helped. Its still took many tries even with ppl that cleared to get in sync.
I can assure you when i made that pf looking for help, i got the mechanic down to the dot and my dps is near toppest of what i can dish out with the current gear.

Theres a kicker tho. I always thought once ive clear i will join the ranks of ppl that can do mechanics properly (ie weekly clear). Boy am i wrong. It still took me a whole weekend to find a weekly clear party that are capable of clearing. God... there's still ppl that cant do mechanics and got their o3s clears...

komaruR

They have not cleared it yet, so in this case what he said makes sense. IE: You are at enrage, ask for people at enrage to join your PF and you get some dude that has not even done the fight.
Sadly thats the PUG life. It does get better once you get that 1st clear though (and then you get troll chests, so you start making your own PF cause fuck those trolls) since as you mentioned you can set duty complete and completion.
Pf and df restriction is seperate. U can make a pf group that only ppl who cleared can join to filter out ppl that havent clear. When going into the duty after forming the party, you can go in as practice to lift the restriction/ you probably dont even have the option to select obly the cleared can go in anyway.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Exdeath down! On to Neo.

Kinda sad how Exdeath seemed to take more hours to clear than O3S.

It gets easier once you get used to when she'll jump to do Waltz so that you're prepared to look around and move. It also helps to have someone call the mechanic when she jumps to do Waltz during final phase. I try to call something like "Protean wave!" or "Books!" or "blue tile!" and so on.

iammeiam

Exdeath is harder in that he does less and it'll generally take more time to get a handle on each of his mehanics. He was ~3 hours of prog on his own for us.

Neo pukes up a lot more mechanics, but they are individually simpler to deal with, mostly remixes of things you've done before, and the length of the encounter makes it less frustrating to wipe to. It was like 12 hours of Neo to kill him, but the fight having so much going on made it feel like progress was really fast even though he ended up being half of our prog time for the tier. Neo is crazy forgiving, though. Our record is twelve deaths on a clear (758/758, reigning world worst champions), and when our tanks decided they wanted to try cover memes and it just killed the WHM over and over it's not even scary anymore whereas white hole without the WHM is sadfacing and hoping I didn't pop all my cooldowns out of boredom already.

Akuun

So far Neo's mechanics seem kinda like A12's Time Stops in that it's a lot of "see this marker > go stand here" stuff. We got past Grand Cross Alpha in the half hour or so remaining in our raid night. We took at least three full raid nights + 2 or so partial raid nights to get past Exdeath though, so you clearing it in just 3 hours of progression sounds nuts to me.

Our record is twelve deaths on a clear (758/758, reigning world worst champions)
High five! My group is the reigning world worst champions for A3S prenerf, with the slowest clear time on FFLogs. Living Liquid cast enrage, we all died, then he fell over and we got the clear. We had 12 deaths on that as well lol.

We've been running a AST/SCH comp for this tier. While O4S does require effort it's definitely pretty viable. While we haven't reached neo, our rdps is there since we reached 63% on our first clear attempt (one or two DPS died during 2nd BH). Of course, Neo will be a different story for us once we get there.

Omni

Neo pukes up a lot more mechanics, but they are individually simpler to deal with, mostly remixes of things you've done before, and the length of the encounter makes it less frustrating to wipe to. It was like 12 hours of Neo to kill him, but the fight having so much going on made it feel like progress was really fast even though he ended up being half of our prog time for the tier. Neo is crazy forgiving, though. Our record is twelve deaths on a clear (758/758, reigning world worst champions), and when our tanks decided they wanted to try cover memes and it just killed the WHM over and over it's not even scary anymore whereas white hole without the WHM is sadfacing and hoping I didn't pop all my cooldowns out of boredom already.
Damn, you got us beat. This week we had 7 deaths. 749/759, haha. Also guess which log my static decided to upload for my first AST log in Neo... (co-heal is SCH. I usually go WHM for weeklies)

eHABky3.png

Feels bad.
That totally reminds me, I need a better 2/3 parse too hmmmm

Omnicent

Pf and df restriction is seperate. U can make a pf group that only ppl who cleared can join to filter out ppl that havent clear. When going into the duty after forming the party, you can go in as practice to lift the restriction/ you probably dont even have the option to select obly the cleared can go in anyway.

I know they are separate. When I make PF for savage I put/set the tags/restrictions that I will be setting in RF, otherwise you may not be able to queue as someone does not meet the reqs.

iammeiam

So far Neo's mechanics seem kinda like A12's Time Stops in that it's a lot of "see this marker > go stand here" stuff. We got past Grand Cross Alpha in the half hour or so remaining in our raid night. We took at least three full raid nights + 2 or so partial raid nights to get past Exdeath though, so you clearing it in just 3 hours of progression sounds nuts to me.

We weren't really expecting it either, and when he walked off to transition out Bard thought it was just another enrage. I think we just lucked out with how we decided to handle black holes and flare positioning ending up being a really good fit; if we'd started with 100% center strat or more rigidly assigned spots I think it would have taken us longer. It might have also helped that the WHM and I swapped finger-painted pathing suggestions between raid days.

I could easily see it having taken longer if we had gone with an alternate suggestion, we just started with what ended up being best for us.

High five! My group is the reigning world worst champions for A3S prenerf, with the slowest clear time on FFLogs. Living Liquid cast enrage, we all died, then he fell over and we got the clear. We had 12 deaths on that as well lol.

Disaster clears are the most fun! Healer LB3 is, at this point, the unsung hero of Savage. People make a thing out of losing a DPS lb, but DPS LB3 is 250k DPS. 25k rDPS is the rough Neo target. So healer LB3 costs you roughly 10 seconds of DPS, but:

a.) The instance enrage timer is super variable. Like, I have seen enrages at 12:35, and clears at 12:47. So it seems like half the time the boss is just randomly going to give you extra time.

b.) Everyone comes back with full resources and no weakness. If your healers can get the timing down, you can turn a disaster Omega into a fairly smoother clear by letting the AF healer die to their own explosion, and have the other healer LB3 timing it to get everyone up after the Almagest cast finishes. The LB3 healer dies to Alma damage, but everyone else is better than ever and the just rezzed healer has all this free time to rez, and all kinds of CDs for what's usually the bad no-CD Alma. Basically healer LB3 changes have made disaster clears more attainable than ever and I love it.

Neo is vey much just Stasis and Inception over and over in different orders, and mostly a gauge of if you can successfully execute well enough to meet the damage requirement while also not having your healers bottom out from overhealing.

We've been running a AST/SCH comp for this tier. While O4S does require effort it's definitely pretty viable. While we haven't reached neo, our rdps is there since we reached 63% on our first clear attempt (one or two DPS died during 2nd BH). Of course, Neo will be a different story for us once we get there.

I've been petitioning to try SCH/nAST on Neo for a while because I'm pretty sure it would secretly be amazing. But nobody wants to go full crazy yet.

Damn, you got us beat. This week we had 7 deaths. 749/759, haha. Also guess which log my static decided to upload for my first AST log in Neo... (co-heal is SCH. I usually go WHM for weeklies)

eHABky3.png

Feels bad.
That totally reminds me, I need a better 2/3 parse too hmmmm

I check daily to see if anybody has beaten us. If so I'm going to have to find ways to die more.

We just upload everything, and then I rely on healer combined to carry me to legitimacy while I overheal or sit in the corner playing solitaire and actively ignoring all the discussion about Shadewalker on the WHM to guarantee consistent Cover usage because oh my god you have all gone insane.

I've been petitioning to try SCH/nAST on Neo for a while because I'm pretty sure it would secretly be amazing. But nobody wants to go full crazy yet.
[/i].

Just for fun, I tried just doing noct AST with sch during exfaust, though we kept getting stuck at first black hole. But it was prog and haven't handled mitigation rotation around that time.
Honestly, I'd like to experiment it when we know how the fight goes, same for going solo noct AST. But that's not until much later and everyone is BiS.

Kudo

Exdeath is totally harder than Neo IMO

Definitely, I don't know what sometimes happens but sometimes some weird wipes happen on Exdeath, whilst none happen on Neo.

Fully stacked for patches now, got all best in slot gear, feels good.

Akuun

Disaster clears are the most fun! Healer LB3 is, at this point, the unsung hero of Savage. People make a thing out of losing a DPS lb, but DPS LB3 is 250k DPS. 25k rDPS is the rough Neo target. So healer LB3 costs you roughly 10 seconds of DPS, but:

a.) The instance enrage timer is super variable. Like, I have seen enrages at 12:35, and clears at 12:47. So it seems like half the time the boss is just randomly going to give you extra time.

b.) Everyone comes back with full resources and no weakness. If your healers can get the timing down, you can turn a disaster Omega into a fairly smoother clear by letting the AF healer die to their own explosion, and have the other healer LB3 timing it to get everyone up after the Almagest cast finishes. The LB3 healer dies to Alma damage, but everyone else is better than ever and the just rezzed healer has all this free time to rez, and all kinds of CDs for what's usually the bad no-CD Alma. Basically healer LB3 changes have made disaster clears more attainable than ever and I love it.
Disaster clears are pretty funny, and they do sometimes lead to moments that make you proud. We've already had a few disaster clears of O1S/O2S and honestly, it helps with group progression because a disaster clear is still a clear that gets you to the floor you're progressing on sooner. LB3 definitely helps with that a lot.

There have been multiple times on a lower floor when a bunch of people die and people ask if we should wipe, and I usually tell the group to keep trying anyway. Sometimes it works out even when you don't think it should. It makes our more competitive DPS players sad, but it still beats wiping and doing a ~10 minute fight again to try to get to the floor you actually want to do when raid progression time is limited.

B.K.

Does anyone have any links or know a good rotation for making collectables with DoH classes at 50? I just tried one and couldn't even get to the minimum 130 rating.

Does anyone have any links or know a good rotation for making collectables with DoH classes at 50? I just tried one and couldn't even get to the minimum 130 rating.

How much GP do you have? I started doing it as soon as I could.

1) Reveal 300 gp
2) 1.5x ability 200 gp
3) Increase
4) Increase
5) Collect 4x

This is how I started to do it and yellow copper ore and w/e the botany one was and it would give me 4 pieces worth like 65k each.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Had a problem with my CC an automatic renewals this morning.

Got it squared away easily on mogstation, but this is the first time I've renewed with an additional retainer, so I had to pay for that too.

What happened to the items my retainer was selling on the marketboard? Still has stuff in the inventory, still on the venture I sent it on yesterday. But it's not selling anything. Items haven't been moved to retainer inventory.

Guess it just takes a little while for everything to get reactivated. Just checked again and the items are being sold again.

hi this is yoship's character

WnE3jAzIrpqobtYd1GQjwU4R1w.jpg

Welp, I feel silly for not noticing that.

Seijuro

I know most people here are on Ultros, but has anyone experience with EU server Louisoux? Thinking about transferring there since it's still free.
How is the population doing, since this is a rather new server?

iammeiam

So I saw the BRD guide scan floating around, and wound up picking up a Kindle copy of this (JAPAN ONLY) thing: Stormblood Job & Dungeon Guide

I haven't gone through the dungeon guide stuff at all, but I'm actually pretty surprised at how solid the job guide stuff seems to be. It's mostly safer rotations and openers (5 GCD OH on MCH), but definitely seems written by somebody who actively follows what the community is currently doing. The SMN section seems to be recommending Addle as a DPS increase, the MCH opener includes FT into OH, etc. It's not going to make anybody a crazy minmax max deeps person, but it does a really good job of teaching people things solid enough that they could probably get through Savage with them? Like, the WHM section straight up has a box of 'here is how you do AOE DPS in a dungeon' and it's actually got thought put behind how you combine holy, aero 3, and assize to get milage out of the stuns and MP regen.

There are a few questionable sections (the AST guide seems to be "I don't know, you have some buttons, push them. Also be in diurnal"), but for the most part it's really good. Like, the tank jobs all show how to do pulls to work best with each tank's AOE, it breaks down the potency differences between combos, there are suggestions on how to position for tank swaps so you're not spinning the boss... It's actually a really solid resource; I don't think it would sell anything in the US but it's almost exactly all the kinds of things the game totally should be trying to teach players but doesn't.

edit: fixed for clarity and to not give the impression SE will ever actually teach NA how2play

Squishy3

If you're not familiar with guide books like those at all they're always super indepth, mostly also because they typically aren't available right away at launch compared to most US strategy guides. They're way more along the lines of the good Future Press guides versus your average Prima/Bradygames guide.

There was also a story from someone in the 14 hour stream about someone who's on the 14 dev team now who'd originally written guidebooks for XI and he was afraid he'd get fired when working on it because they gave him a character that belonged to someone on the dev team and he'd died and deleveled it. :lol

iammeiam

I was expecting big, long passages on lore, and explanations of what each button does. I did not expect them to embrace less bread-and-butter gameplay stuff like Addle for damage, AFK FT openers, pop Thrill for a better damage Upheaval, even showing the BLM standing on the far edge of leylines instead of smack-dab in the middle baiting AOEs. It's not just that it gives specifics, but that it's giving specifics from a very different POV than 98% of everything we see and hear about the game comes from ("we had to nerf ninja because we didn't realize people would use ALL their buttons in an opener.")

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I saw the BRD guide scan floating around, and wound up picking up a Kindle copy of this thing: Stormblood Job & Dungeon Guide

I haven't gone through the dungeon guide stuff at all, but I'm actually pretty surprised at how solid the job guide stuff seems to be. It's mostly safer rotations and openers (5 GCD OH on MCH), but definitely seems written by somebody who actively follows what the community is currently doing. The SMN section seems to be recommending Addle as a DPS increase, the MCH opener includes FT into OH, etc. It's not going to make anybody a crazy minmax max deeps person, but it does a really good job of teaching people things solid enough that they could probably get through Savage with them? Like, the WHM section straight up has a box of 'here is how you do AOE DPS in a dungeon' and it's actually got thought put behind how you combine holy, aero 3, and assize to get milage out of the stuns and MP regen.

There are a few questionable sections (the AST guide seems to be "I don't know, you have some buttons, push them. Also be in diurnal"), but for the most part it's really good. Like, the tank jobs all show how to do pulls to work best with each tank's AOE, it breaks down the potency differences between combos, there are suggestions on how to position for tank swaps so you're not spinning the boss... It's actually a really solid resource; I don't think it would sell anything in the US but it's almost exactly all the kinds of things the game totally should be trying to teach players but doesn't.

Aaaaah too bad it is only in Japanese. Didn't realize that until I saw the link.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Speaking of things that are interesting, somebody noticed that pretty much any attack you do that exceeds a certain threshold of around 30k will end in 0.

RtsgSR1.png

Like this.

Video game development is fun.

Top Bottom