• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Cmagus

Just made it to the final chamber in Lost Canal with 3 people and we got the boss down to 40% only to have a wall of lightning adds and Abhramu came out at the same time and destory us.

B.K.

Just had four people in my group drop after dying in the second boss of the Royal City of Salt. I can't believe people really expect everyone to kill these bosses the first try. Especially when half the alliance is new.

Astral

I got as far as Diamond Dust in Shinryu EX. There’s so much shit going on in this fight. I can’t imagine this doing this for 10 tomes.

So tomestones of Verity. Do I just keep collecting this? I’ve better gear then what I can exchange it for & I don’t craft.

I can’t find another use beyond 310 gear and crafting..

Sorian

Banned
I got as far as Diamond Dust in Shinryu EX. There’s so much shit going on in this fight. I can’t imagine this doing this for 10 tomes.

The first phase is by far the hardest and there isn't really much going on. On a couple runs it appears that a lot is randomized but he's really scripted with very few variations.

B.K.

Rabanastre cleared. Except for the
faces
mechanic, I think the last boss was the easiest. We wiped twice on every other boss, but cleared the final boss the first try.

Bebpo

Banned
Just save it, they'll be used for the new artifact stuff.

huh?

Are you telling me that old outdated tomes will suddenly be relevant for the latest gear at some point? I've been trading all mine in for items to sell on the MB.

Or do you mean that like once creation tomes are for i350 or something, that verity will work for i330 or something?

iammeiam

But didn't the Verity analog stick around for the whole expansion in HW? Soldiery was it? I can't remember.

Nah, Law was the HW Verity, Esoterics were HW Creation. When 3.2 hit, Esoterics bumped Law out of the uncapped tome spot, Lore replaced Eso as the capped tome, and Law itself became outdated and couldn't be spent, only traded in for Eso. In 3.4, any Law you hadn't upgraded to Eso got deleted, Eso took the Law spot of "stuff you can't earn or spend, just trade in for the new uncapped", Lore went uncapped, Scripture was the new hotness.

So if nothing relic related happens before 4.2, you'll probably just turn stored up Verity into Creation at a reduced value, Creation will be the uncapped grind 5ever tome.

I think the breakdown is:

Philo - Law - Verity
Myth - Esoterics - Creation
Soldiery - Lore - ????
Poetics - Scripture - ????

And then when the expansion is over, all 'old' tome stuff gets moved to Poetics

Squishy3

Scripture is what should be removed, Verity should become unearnable?

So it'll be poetics->creation uncapped->whatever the new weekly capped tomestone is. also think they'll reduce the price of the creation stuff right away since the verity stuff was all super cheap at launch

Berordn

I did it!
agogolasn5.png

...why did I do this, again?

At least now I can go back to actually playing the game.

Apoptomon

So... squadrons don't get synced down in command missions? I noticed my acn using shadow flare a lot in brayflox, so im presuming they have their full kit available.

I got as far as Diamond Dust in Shinryu EX. There's so much shit going on in this fight. I can't imagine this doing this for 10 tomes.

Same here but I've found it easier to move my enemy bar over to the right of center so I can see what each wing is casting. Got to Diamond dust but the healers and tanks failed the chain part just before that. Also I got an Earth shaker icon literally in a bad spot where I couldn't make it to the corner in time. Also watching a Mr. Happy video only for the party I went in do a completely different strategy which took me some getting used to. Really regret spreading creation tomes on other jobs, wish I was at least 330 but I'm going back into Savage on MNK and trying for some gear.

Though what got me was that tile breaking pattern. There were times where when I had the tail icon, we were down to ONE uncracked tile, and there was supposed to be one more marker for tanks. It doesn't happen all the time, but I wonder if the healer didn't go far enough so when the tail comes down it cracks three tiles instead of two.

Also some folks forget to spread for Levinbolt. I also spread for Judgement but it's a force of habit to just do Lightning-spread, and Fire-stack in one puddle.

Thanks to the introduction of raid roulette I've finally managed to try the crystal tower raid when it was previously almost impossible to queue for. Overgeared as we were, it still is a heck of spectacle. Now I'm looking forward to reaching the endgame and trying Ivalice. Love the 5 mins DPS queues as well, the roulette is going to give me a great source of daily exp for leveling up my SAM class.

B.K.

Can you only do fishing levequests once? I did the one at Quarymill that needed Black Eels. After I did it, the game won't let me do it again. It's not in the quest giver's list.

Can you only do fishing levequests once? I did the one at Quarymill that needed Black Eels. After I did it, the game won't let me do it again. It's not in the quest giver's list.
No, its just that there's more than 3 fisher leves per tier until level 50 or 60 (dont remember which) and every time you beat a leve it rerolls so you just kinda have to luck out.

Omni

I really don't understand how DPS mains do so much damage.

Like I main a healer. But I've been gearing my ninja on the side. It's i333 with a 345 weapon. A few 320/330 pieces too but nothing major. I did 3.6k dps in Shinryu ex... but that's apparently only 30th percentile on logs which is kinda bad? 95+ percentile is in the 4k range... I must be doing something majorly wrong, right? I feel as if I'm missing something super obvious

/random rambling and all that

Like I main a healer. But I've been gearing my ninja on the side. It's i333 with a 345 weapon. A few 320/330 pieces too but nothing major. I did 3.6k dps in Shinryu ex... but that's apparently only 30th percentile on logs which is kinda bad? 95+ percentile is in the 4k range... I must be doing something majorly wrong, right? I feel as if I'm missing something super obvious

Its all on optimization and getting comfy with the fight. Knowing when to be greedy, knowing when to do weird shit like letting all your buffs drop to do an extra damage combo because its a DPS gain, etc.

Thorgal

Did you put rank 6 Materia in all your gear?

iammeiam

TBH this is where FFLogs is arguably the strongest; if you hit up the comparison tab, you can do a search for other recent kills within 10 seconds or so of your own, and then compare what you did to what they did. Casts will tell you if they're staying on top of their GCD better, or if you're hitting certain skills more and others less and losing damage. You can tell from the average damage from autos if their baseline damage is higher from more/better/better melded gear. Buff and debuff uptime, if they're staying on the boss vs peeling off (one relatively little discussed trick for Shinryu: the tail inherits debuffs from the boss. Piercing/blunt/slashing/whatever will be auto-applied to the tail if Shinryu has them, and Trick works the same way.) If you notice your DPS spikes are at different times or entirely missing, it can be a clue.

It's also worth noting that healer logs, much like tank logs, basically get a gigantic boost just for trying to do damage, whereas all DPS logs revolve around it. The minimal-to-no DPS healers, and the full tank stance uptime tanks, create a hefty cushion at the bottom where you get essentially a free boost in percentage just for pushing damage buttons.

Like, looking at AST (because that is what I'm most familiar with in the fight):

10th percentile Shinryu is 454 DPS. 50th is 794. 99th is 1,572. So you can hit 50th percentile on a healer is really just doing around 50% of the damage somebody in 99th is doing. You can hit 10th doing less than 30% of the damage of 99th.

Ninja at the 10th percentile on Shinryu is 3,246. The 50th is 3,742. 99th is 4,294. The jump from 50th percentile to 99th is only 550 DPS--hitting 50th requires doing 87% of the damage that hitting 99th requires. Even hitting 10th percentile is 75% of the damage at the 99th percentile.

All bets are kind of off at the higher percentiles, but getting to 50th on a DPS generally involves being a lot more on top of GCDs and raid synergy than getting purple on a healer in my experience. It's sort of the tradeoff for the DPS getting to mostly tunnel on damage, while healers and tanks get to output damage as a reward for having a bunch of other stuff already under control.

Huzzah! I found my emergency removal password for my security token late last night so now there's no need to get in touch with Square's Support! I'd already e-mailed them though so I'll have to politely decline them whenever they contact me lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just made it to the final chamber in Lost Canal with 3 people and we got the boss down to 40% only to have a wall of lightning adds and Abhramu came out at the same time and destory us.

I just imagined a bunch of FFXIII Lightning clones beating the shit out of player characters...... and now I'm disappointed this isn't a thing.

Qvoth

it's generally a better idea to run canals with full 8 person, with each person bringing 1 map minimum
"better" chance of getting into lost and hidden canals

rubius01

My group has done nearly 20 or so maps in the past few days.
Not a single one managed to get into the new dungeon. smh

Got into the newmap dungeon. It was the exact same but with three doors now. Wasn’t it supposed to be tuned to i340 8 man party with an all or nothing mechanic?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
My group has done nearly 20 or so maps in the past few days.
Not a single one managed to get into the new dungeon. smh

This is what makes me wanna never touch that, it's because it's down to lottery whether you'll even be admitted to it or not, it's the same problem with Diadem 2.0. There's no skill or persistence involved, you just roll a dice and that's all you do. However lucrative it might be with rewards (Hidden Canals apparently just drops up to 3 mil per person at the highest) "content" with RNG admittance is just absolute bullshit. To this date I haven't seen an Emergency Mission spawn in Diadem. Like, what.

ZangBa

So I have a weird question. Is it possible to level a crafting profession past my highest class? I'm like level 52 or 53 on my Samurai just starting Heavensward, but I want to level stuff like fishing and goldsmithing to 70 if possible. I do the main story with a friend and don't want to speed past her, but I want to make gil in the future for a big ass house.

Thorgal

So I have a weird question. Is it possible to level a crafting profession past my highest class? I'm like level 52 or 53 on my Samurai just starting Heavensward, but I want to level stuff like fishing and goldsmithing to 70 if possible. I do the main story with a friend and don't want to speed past her, but I want to make gil in the future for a big ass house.

you can .

Yeah but you'll likely be gated by MSQ due to having to unlock areas for leves. You'll only be able to realistically get to 70 with them once you're nearly done with the base Stormblood MSQ.

Cmagus

it's generally a better idea to run canals with full 8 person, with each person bringing 1 map minimum
"better" chance of getting into lost and hidden canals

Yeah I actually got a Fabled map on the 4th floor. Really we just wanted to see how far we could get but we were not ready for what was at the end lol.

Finally finished this trash content.

Top Bottom