• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

MechaX

Wow SMN at 60 (and hey at 50 too) just sucks now. Your abilities suggest 30s cycles but your dots aren't extended to 30s until they upgrade well into sixties so you end up clipping dots all day.

Which is doubly upsetting when you realize RDM has its primary kit at 50 and everything after that just fleshes it out.

To be honest, the wait for level 66 has been agonizing (halfway through 65 and I am bit anticipating getting off work today until late), because Bio and Miasma as it is now is clunky as fuck. I think the level 3 spells will alleviate a lot, but the class still has some odd quirks in SB.

I would be able to buy a new PC if I got $1 for every time I blew an aetherflow cast. They might as well not even let you cast the thing if you have 3 aethertrails ready to go (and the MP recovery is pretty bad now).

Yeah they play up the idea that Astrologian and
Geomancer
are polar opposites like Black Mage and White Mage, with one drawing power from energies of the stars in the sky and the other drawing power from the planet that they are on and that fundamentally they are extremely similar concepts and combined could be extremely powerful.

5.0 FFXIV exclusive job(tank) and Geomancer(healer) confirmed! (Probably not)

Dreamwriter said:
It’s probably happening because the game doesn’t actually launch until Tuesday. The complete edition doesn’t include Early Access, as I understand it.

Edit: I was right, complete edition doesn’t include Early Access, the game doesn’t officially release until June 20.
But I would think that shouldn't stop them from playing the game.

Everyone not in early access can still play the non-Stormblood parts of the game.
You gotta good point...dunno why a PS4 complete edition wouldn’t be able to get in with maintenance errors, except during actual maintenance like last night’s EU maintenance.

got 70 on brd, been waiting for a friend that was stuck on rabauhn savage.

I LOVE HW caster bard, and I love the direction SB bard went but a few head scratchers.

Flute skill? Very situational. Its plays a buff (hp%+, phy def+, mag def+) pending on what song you are in, except song is tied to your dps rotation. You may never be in the right stance when needed without severely gimping your dps by going to a song early. Songs have 90sec CDs and last 30 sec (and you have 3). Also the fact that the brd doesn't receive the buff is just stupid.

Army Paeon? The most boring and lackluster song ever. Has 0 procs, has 0 interactivity, has 0 thought process. You never want to be in this song/stance. Hot garbage.

But the other stuff is great! Including the amount of decision making there are. I feel brd skill ceiling got higher and it was already one of the highest in HW. Brd optimization just got a ton harder.

I wouldn't limit that to just pre-SB. I queued last night for the first SB dungeon and it took 10 minutes longer to find a group than to beat the actual dungeon.

Took me about 35 minutes or so last night for that first dungeon as well since I main SMN.

Of course I took that time to go start up the new SMN quests and some other stuff in the meantime.

I would be able to buy a new PC if I got $1 for every time I blew an aetherflow cast. They might as well not even let you cast the thing if you have 3 aethertrails ready to go (and the MP recovery is pretty bad now).

I completely agree. I don't do it often, but have caught myself a few times out of habit. I do like though the change for the trance stacks and how they now stack and stay instead of going away after 30 seconds.

Also not a fan of them gimping out Shadowflare.

NandoGip

Just started FFXIV for the first time this past weekend. Got to level 12 I think? Game is awesome so far.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm a lancer on Ultros btw

I miss my Bard flame ring :(

Although doing the Perfect Pitch at 3 stacks looks so cool! All my friends are like "WTF is THAT!?"

:)

It certainly does!

Although, that feeling when you're DPSing a primal and none, literally NONE of the DoT hits are crits, so your WM goes to waste. How did I go 30+ seconds without a single DOT crit? :|

I'll be happy once I get EA+, because at least then each use is a guaranteed note on the bar. I'm curious, as I haven't seen any mentions, if it's based on each use or each hit. I expect the former but if it's the latter, barrage with EA+ means an instant fill on the notes for PP.

O and SB without the technical issues has been AMAZING so far. Great overall production and presentation.

I'm excited to see what this raid tier brings

Just started FFXIV for the first time this past weekend. Got to level 12 I think? Game is awesome so far.

When you see a quest with a blue color and the + on the marker, grab it and complete it, as that's how you open up other things to do and/or certain area quirks. Basically, if you see a + do it.

Make sure you follow the MSQ quests that have the meteor icon.

Have fun.

R0ckman

Take up a gathering craft on the side for a steady flow of cash. Gather when you are waiting for dungeon queues (assuming you are a DPS). I sometimes tank and its basically instant if you play that class.

studyguy

Made it to 67 this weekend.
Man I really like where PLD is at currently.
Just one more level to requicast though, my god in PvP it absolutely demolishes.

Luminaire

Pay attention to the tooltips! Some abilities/weaponskills do more damage from the back or side. Also pay attention to your threat/aggro/enmity. If you see yourself creeping up (it's the bar by your names in the party list), consider swapping targets if it's in a pack while the tank picks hate back up. If you get aggro on the enemy, try not to run away. Making the tank chase mobs is a nightmare. Otherwise, enjoy!

Alo0oy

Banned
I took a look at the Paladin's skills past level 60, is there anything even remotely worth using? It's a bunch of DPS/Healer skills that are useful in single player probably. Passage of Arms looks to be alright, but not worth sacrificing your movement for it.

ChazGW7

Started going through this game for the first time on the new EU server Omega and have experienced 0 queues so far which I am very greatful for! 100% bonus exp till 60 is great too.

And I also learned I get 1mil gil and 15 days free play time when I reach level 30 (currently 29). The gift that keeps on giving it seems, thanks Square Enix!

Anyway, i'm really enjoying the game so far, and its nice knowing I have a butt-load of content to still look forward to. Currently a conjurer going to White Mage but im toying with the idea of trying Samurai and Black Mage. Choices choices choices...

studyguy

I took a look at the Paladin's skills past level 60, is there anything even remotely worth using? It's a bunch of DPS/Healer skills that are useful in single player probably. Passage of Arms looks to be alright, but not worth sacrificing your movement for it.

I mean yeah.
Intervention is fantastic as a OT CD to mitigate basically any tank buster or even assist your team basically on demand. Divine Magic Mastery trait brings your MP costs down to levels that won't just tap you out on MP after 2 casts of your magic. Holy Spirit buffed with Requicast is literally part of our rotation now as well. Moreover the spammable AoE picked up pre-60 now really rounds things out.

PLD literally is better than it's ever been. Feel like a monster of utility currently between helping teammates out in dungeons, self sustain and the ability to basically shelltron anything on demand.

scy

I mean ... tanks are still basically DPS with mitigation cooldowns and tank stance vs DPS stance is an issue of threat, not defense, for use. PLD got a fairly robust set of skills that gives them a different rotation of cycling through a caster phase with Requiescat -> Holy Spirit and then a physical phase with Fight or Flight.

studyguy

Also regarding the MSQ
That dude on the Steppe really wants to fuck that horse...

Also regarding enmity generation, it feels pretty okay as it is. I haven't noticed anyone ripping hate from me in dungeons, I definitely see them creeping up though with Savage out of my rotation. It's still not anything to worry about though.

Alo0oy

Banned
I mean yeah.
Intervention is fantastic as a OT CD to mitigate basically any tank buster or even assist your team basically on demand. Divine Magic Mastery trait brings your MP costs down to levels that won't just tap you out on MP after 2 casts of your magic. Holy Spirit buffed with Requicast is literally part of our rotation now as well. Moreover the spammable AoE picked up pre-60 now really rounds things out.

PLD literally is better than it's ever been. Feel like a monster of utility currently between helping teammates out in dungeons, self sustain and the ability to basically shelltron anything on demand.

I mean ... tanks are still basically DPS with mitigation cooldowns and tank stance vs DPS stance is an issue of threat, not defense, for use. PLD got a fairly robust set of skills that gives them a different rotation of cycling through a caster phase with Requiescat -> Holy Spirit and then a physical phase with Fight or Flight.

Alright, maybe I'm talking out of my ass since my Paladin is only level 31, and I'm just theorycrafting.

Wouldn't Holy Spirit hinder your ability to use flash more liberally though? Looking at the PLD's entire skill set makes me think the class is a pretty good off-tank class, but didn't gain anything tank-worthy.

studyguy

Alright, maybe I'm talking out of my ass since my Paladin is only level 31, and I'm just theorycrafting.

Wouldn't Holy Spirit hinder your ability to use flash more liberally though? Looking at the PLD's entire skill set makes me think the class is a pretty good off-tank class, but didn't gain anything tank-worthy.

At 31, PLD is a substantially different beast than 50, 60, post 60.

Pre 50 is a lot of flashing, post 50 is 123 combo forever, 60 is Royal/Goring, post 60 is again a big change for rotation once holy spirit requicast is up.

I can understand the frustration before you get to 50 though, PLD still feels half baked at lower levels even if they lowered the level when you get critical skills. At least you don't need to wait till like 45 for shield oath anymore...

wamberz1

My thoughts on the new monk skills after getting to try out all of them:

Deep Meditation: Pretty awesome, and probably the biggest change to monk of the expansion. Helps set up Brotherhood down the road too. I'm down with FB changing from something you get during downtime to a randomly generated oGCD. Only complaint is that I swear to god my luck on crits proccing a charge is awful compared to when I proc on machinist... but that's probably just me being crazy.

Riddle of Earth: So at first I dismissed this as being totally useless outside of single PVE - it completely goes against DPS's "you should never be taking damage" mantra, and you need to get hit at least twice for the defense buff to even do anything.

However... I came around on it when I realized just how awesome the GL reset effect is for certain mechanics. Stuff like tracking AOE's where you have to run away from the group... just hit that shit and BAM - full charge. The earths reply animation is dope too. And the best part? It doesn't make your fists go on cooldown, so you can hit it, get the GL reset, and change back to FOF in the blink of an eye.

Riddle of Fire: A was also kind of bummed out on this at first. I don't wanna go slow, I wanna go FAST! But then I realized how big the numbers I was pumping out were and forgave it. Anyways, at the end of the day its just a damage buff and should be used like one - on cooldown. Only thing to note is that if you use it during perfect balance (and good god why would you without 3 stacks) you can only get 4 hits in.

Riddle of the Wind/Tackle Mastery: I have no idea what the actual fuck they were thinking when they made this ability. It's essential an ultra glorified way of making our tackle hit a bit harder. Earth tackle has knockback so that's never getting used, (though the knockback stun combo could be useful in cases where the tank is getting overwhelmed, but that's about it) and wind tackle.... Jesus Christ. The idea of double tackle is cool but the price of having to switch to FOW just to tackle twice.... I can't think of any use for it outside of PVP. Totally and utterly garbage.

Brotherhood: Going to have to experiment with it more but I was a tiny bit disappointing. From the description I was expecting UNLIMITED CHAKRA WORKS, but in the last dungeon I was lucky to get maybe a full chakra every time I used it. It will obviously probably be better in 8 mans.

My biggest pet peeve is a sprout who's new to an instance and starts blaming others/being an asshole if they die or someone else does. C'mon mayne

R0ckman

Is it easier to do extreme fights in FC or PF? Gotta get my SAM to 60 fast to get some of these primal Katanas.

Also, is this a overlook? It seems absolutely worthless to do fish collecting from 60-70 outside of script farming. You don't get enough from the bonuses even when turning in loads, you are better off gearing up to maximize HQ fishing and just farming good fishing spots.

Thorgal

Looks like codes can now be redeemed for the game proper and the preorder items .

don't forget to do this or you will be locked out of Stormblood next week .

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Looks like codes can now be redeemed for the game proper and the preorder items .

Still waiting on mine from Greenman, per their tweet earlier today:

We'll update as soon as possible with details about when we're sending them out.

Not too worried, I expect to have it tomorrow.

oh yeah

you need to do dungeons to advance the story

fucking rip

Yeah DPS queues for specific dungeons are ass right now. It's not usually too bad though, and there's other stuff you can do while in queue (levequests, fates, crafting, sidequests)

Soroc

If I bought from the Square Enix store, is there anything else I need to do? I don't remember getting any code for my collectors digital version, only the preorder/early access code.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Give in and decide to buy a copy
Get discount on greenmangaming
Go to input pre-order code
"This code is not valid in your region"
Fuck you Square Enix

Carlius

Banned
If I bought from the Square Enix store, is there anything else I need to do? I don't remember getting any code for my collectors digital version, only the preorder/early access code.

i got mine here too. whats the deal with the code? on my mog station it says i need to buy stormblood but i have early access.

Soroc

i got mine here too. whats the deal with the code? on my mog station it says i need to buy stormblood but i have early access.

Yeah thats exactly how mine looks too and on my Squenix account orders page there is only the one damn activation code for the early access.... sigh...

Thorgal

all you need to have is 2 codes named :

FFXIV: Stormblood collector edition ( or other version )

FFXIV stormblood Early access .

Assuming you are already using the Early access code to play SB right now you only need to enter the first key into mogstation to get access to Stormblood content proper .

Don't panic , you have until the 23rd until EA ends . after that you won't be able to access SB content until you input the code .

Carlius

Banned
all you need to have is 2 codes named :

FFXIV: Stormblood collector edition ( or other version )

FFXIV stormblood Early access .

Assuming you are already using the Early access code to play SB right now you only need to enter the first key into mogstation to get access to Stormblood content proper .

Don't panic , you have until the 23rd until EA ends . after that you won't be able to access SB content until you input the code .

iad both codes, mogstation says both codes are registered...i hope and i assume that the status of bought will appear when game launches.

Carlius

Banned
Yeah thats exactly how mine looks too and on my Squenix account orders page there is only the one damn activation code for the early access.... sigh...

you can get the second code going into the instructions from the se store in your account. there you iwll put the code given when you bought it and the account will be registered with that, and there you can get your second code that you can register in mog station.

Thorgal

if you input both the codes this is what it looks like on my steam account :

hjs2gsK.png

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
More like fuck GMG.

Not really. There's no reason to split the world into these arbitrary regions to begin with. The whole Mog Station bullshit is so needlessly convoluted and confusing it's absurd.

Consider this:
I got the wrong key because I am currently sitting in Hong Kong airport, which accoring to Square Enix is 'The Americas" but the key I needed is for "Europe and Other Regions" because wait for it..... I made my original account in Australia. It's about as absurd as I can possibly think of.

So yeah. Fuck Square Enix

Hopefully GMG will help me out and let me refund it. I know Square sure as shit won't (help me out that is)

Top Bottom