• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV team restructured, PS3 release delayed | FFXI staff swap: Post #108

Zinga said:
The game should never have been released like this but still I am impressed by their response, they are doing all the right things to make amends.

Except they are not - Tanaka is being punished for Wada fucking up and rushing the game.

duckroll

This just in: Akihiko Matsui was the new director of FFXI as of Sept 2010, but since he has been moved to FFXIV, FFXI has another set of new directors! Musical chairs! :)

From Sept 2010: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/1009/topics_all.html

We would like to announce the appointment of a new director for FINAL FANTASY XI.

Former Battle Director Akihiko Matsui has assumed the post, and would like to take this opportunity to offer a few words of greeting to our players.

Dear Users,

It is both an honor and pleasure to give this address as the newly appointed director of FINAL FANTASY XI.

With the commencement of official service for FINAL FANTASY XIV imminent, the period ahead will prove to be a turning point for FINAL FANTASY XI. I have had the privilege of being part of the team since the project commenced some ten years ago, but to assume the mantle of leadership at this juncture is daunting indeed.

As director, I intend to work in close cooperation with all project members and involved parties to ensure that FINAL FANTASY XI will continue to hold allure for our players. For truly, nothing would please me more than to see Vana'diel remain a gathering place for those seeking high adventure and camaraderie.

I look forward to your continued support in the future.

Akihiko Matsui
Director, FINAL FANTASY XI

Today: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/6064/detail.html

The development team is pleased to announce that Mr. Mizuki Ito, director of the Abyssea series of battle area add-ons and creator of a wide range of battle content to date, will be taking over the helm as director of FINAL FANTASY XI.

Assisting him as associate director will be Mr. Yoji Fujito, known to players as the creator of the Trial of the Magians and chocobo raising systems.

Both directors are committed to seeing that Vana'diel continues to evolve as a realm of rousing adventure and camaraderie.

It is an honor and a privilege to be given this opportunity to assume the role of FINAL FANTASY XI director from my colleague Mr. Matsui.

With my experience on the team, I understand how deeply our players treasure the memories they have made over eight-plus years in Vana'diel, and I will do everything in my power to see that the greatest adventures are still yet to come.

Mizuki Ito
Director, FINAL FANTASY XI

As associate director, I look forward to working with Mr. Ito to guide FINAL FANTASY XI into its next great age of adventure.

Though the challenge is a daunting one, we will endeavor to create content that offers new challenges and rewards for all adventurers who call Vana'diel home.

Yoji Fujito
Associate Director, FINAL FANTASY XI

jiggle

duckroll said:
The development team is pleased to announce that Mr. Mizuki Ito, director of the Abyssea series of battle area add-ons and creator of a wide range of battle content to date, will be taking over the helm as director of FINAL FANTASY XI.

Noooooo bring him to XIV!!!

duckroll said:
Assisting him as associate director will be Mr. Yoji Fujito, known to players as the creator of the Trial of the Magians and chocobo raising systems.

yuck
he can stay on XI

duckroll said:
As for the actual director of FFXIV, he has not been removed from the core team, but simply demoted. This is probably better for him as well because it was clear that he was no prepared to handle the heavy responsibilities of overseeing the entire development of the game. As lead game designer he can continue to focus on pushing out actual story content and quest lines, instead of having to worry about all the other little problems all over the project.

as long as he doesn't get sakaguchied
it's all good

Ferrio

Banned
Wonder how long they think the changes will take. From the sound of it the amount of work to get the game outta the gutter would be quite massive.

jiggle

Ferrio said:
From the sound of it the amount of work to get the game outta the gutter would be quite massive.

i don't think so
the first major update already improved the game dramatically
now it's all about refinement and contents and contents and LOTS of contents

i'm sure adding an Auction House is their priority though

duckroll

Castor Krieg said:
I don't really think that in a Japanese company you can just say no to your CEO.

My point is that Wada is the CEO, and Tanaka is the game's producer. The producer's job is a lot more than just making sure a game is done. It involves business coordination for that title, budgeting, PR, communication with the business end of the company (including the CEO), etc. Are you going to suggest that Tanaka has had zero blame whatsoever, and that Wada should have sat back and let him spend as much money and time as possible to do whatever he wants?

duckroll said:
My point is that Wada is the CEO, and Tanaka is the game's producer. The producer's job is a lot more than just making sure a game is done. It involves business coordination for that title, budgeting, PR, communication with the business end of the company (including the CEO), etc. Are you going to suggest that Tanaka has had zero blame whatsoever, and that Wada should have sat back and let him spend as much money and time as possible to do whatever he wants?

Are you asking this to reasonable people

or to Final Fantasy fans?

Because I'm pretty sure the answer will be different.

duckroll

BudokaiMR2 said:
Are you asking this to reasonable people

or to Final Fantasy fans?

Because I'm pretty sure the answer will be different.

Depends on what sort of person Castor Krieg is! I guess we'll find out shortly! :)

Bento

animlboogy said:
Who knows? There isn't a consistent precedent. Every MMO launches with issues. Some never recover in popularity even when the game becomes great (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, going by hearsay). Some do fine and early failures are forgotten (every successful MMO, including WoW which at least had a good game behind the server issues). It's been a long time since a massive fuckup like this hit... But then, it has Final Fantasy in the name, so second chances might be easier to get than those Funcom games.
I'd argue that if WoW would have been released today in that state against a competitor with the same status as WoW has today, it would not have been the success it is. There's simply a level of polish, content and overall quality that people expect nowadays that may not be entirely fair considering the time WoW has had to evolve but people are not using the WoW launch as a measuring stick against other titles.

hteng

Banned
the game is still has a long ways to go, I'm very satisfied with the UI lag fixes, everything is smooth now, the game kept me occupied for about 1 week... yes.. 1 friggin week, until i quit again. The changes to the SP is awful, they have the right direction (to be fair to everyone) but that shit just doesn't scale, imagine doing 100sp per kill, and at R39, you require 65k for next rank, it's the same as Korean grinds where you mass slaughter easy preys. Party play is sorta worthless outside of leve-linking and behest.

The game still has a chance i reckon, but they will have to put 200% of their focus into it.

ps: i was just unbanned!

duckroll said:

Ok, fair point. I guess we will have to wait to find out what exactly happened during all these years. Maybe Tanaka will open up a bit after leaving S-E. It's not only FFXIV, S-E has disastrous pipeline this gen for in-house development.

duckroll

Castor Krieg said:
Ok, fair point. I guess we will have to wait to find out what exactly happened during all these years. Maybe Tanaka will open up a bit after leaving S-E. It's not only FFXIV, S-E has disastrous pipeline this gen for in-house development.

We will never find out what exactly happened. We still don't know what happened with Matsuno exactly during FFXII, but his official stance is still that he was "sick" and as producer and director on the project the delays and development problems were his responsibility, so he resigned. Now there doesn't seem to be a lot of bad blood between him and S-E either, since he just worked on Tactics Ogre. The real story will probably never be told.

thcsquad

duckroll said:
Hmmm... Naoki Yoshida is a real employee of Square Enix. He was credited under "Special Thanks" for Dragon Quest Swords, and he gave a presentation at CESA this year as a director. Weird!

Aha. Thanks.

Holograph performance. The Gorillaz did it.

Nose Master

I like how they fire the entire team, rather than the one or two people that made the horrible decision to rush this unfinished mess to market.

Zalasta

So potentially good news for those that are still playing and those that are still interested. Only bad news is another delay for the PS3 release, which I hope will not be too far off that no one will care by that point. As someone who hasn't paid a dime beyond the initial retail price, I really can't complain since the updates have been coming steadily. We'll see if patience will be rewarded in the end.

I expect that Tanaka will probably be reunited with Sakaguchi and Matsuno at Mistwalker Studios sometime rather soon now.

It's kind of sad what happened to Tanaka, the guy was like a deer in headlights during the whole launch fiasco. He was told to make a game which wasn't like FFXI, then he was told this is when the game is released whether it's done or not, and then he was given a sword and told to fall on it when the game wasn't done at release. If Squenix was trying to write a blueprint for how to drive senior employees out of the company, they couldn't have done a better job than with Tanaka and FFXIV.

Londa

Banned
I don't really think it was a good idea to get rid of Tanaka. Now I'm worried that this game is headed in a bad direction. It was improving in every update but now, I have no idea what the new vision is for this game.

ichinisan said:
Nope.

Stand up and bow:

Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within!

Well Spirits Within failed mostly because it was ahead of its time - both in terms of visual quality (I don't think anything matched it till now) and themes (people didn't expect animated movie to have deep story + typical Japanese animation nonsense). FFXIV is clearly a bad product, probably the worst one made by S-E so far. FFXIII is way better.

duckroll said:
We will never find out what exactly happened. We still don't know what happened with Matsuno exactly during FFXII, but his official stance is still that he was "sick" and as producer and director on the project the delays and development problems were his responsibility, so he resigned. Now there doesn't seem to be a lot of bad blood between him and S-E either, since he just worked on Tactics Ogre. The real story will probably never be told.

There was a lot of pressure on Matsuno during the long and troubled development of FFXII. For all we know he really did have a nervous breakdown as some sources claimed and was forced to resign before he killed himself with a heart attack from the stress. Remember that at the time of FFXII, Squenix was coming off the resounding success of FFX, Sakaguchi's swan song and his final masterpiece, and the >750,000 players at the time FFXI. The effort to try and live up to Sakaguchi's legacy was probably pretty damn crushing on Matsuno at the time. So maybe he was actually sick.

Elios83

I seriously hope that shareholders will eventually ask Wada's head for this debacle.
An other major bomb with Versus after XIV and the poorly received XIII and we're there.

Castor Krieg said:
Well Spirits Within failed mostly because it was ahead of its time - both in terms of visual quality (I don't think anything matched it till now) and themes (people didn't expect animated movie to have deep story + typical Japanese animation nonsense). FFXIV is clearly a bad product, probably the worst one made by S-E so far. FFXIII is way better.

One of the biggest problems with The Spirits Within was the story. It was impressively unsuccessful in blending elements from classic Hollywood filmmaking and anime. The story goes that up until 2 months before the film was to premiere the final script had still not been locked down and it was edited a lot to fit the running time it ultimately ran at. Also, the dialogue was pretty bad throughout the film and they went with a classic inconclusive open-ended ending which you see all too often in anime but which was really unsatisfying when attached to the back of what was supposed to be a $200 million Hollywood blockbuster summer event film type of thing.

Bento

Castor Krieg said:
Well Spirits Within failed mostly because it was ahead of its time - both in terms of visual quality (I don't think anything matched it till now) and themes (people didn't expect animated movie to have deep story + typical Japanese animation nonsense)
When you say that people didn't expect deep stories from an animated movie, you're only referring to CG animated movies, right? Cause otherwise I have some movie and tv-series recommendations for you :p And really, the story wasn't all that deep, the same SPIRIT OF THE EARTH stuff we had already seen in FFVII. But regardless, throwing away so much money into a movie that barely tied into the brand that was supposed to sell it was kinda dumb.

Yoshiya

Londa said:
I don't really think it was a good idea to get rid of Tanaka. Now I'm worried that this game is headed in a bad direction. It was improving in every update but now, I have no idea what the new vision is for this game.
From a commercial standpoint, the current direction could hardly be worse. Whatever your personal opinions on it, your beloved game wasn't going to exist in a couple of years the way the project was going.

Edit: I don't think Spirits Within is a bad film, it's just that apart from the technical aspect it fails to distinguish itself at all. It's still a watchable, if nonsensical piece of sci-fi, but there isn't much justification to watch it over other, far better examples.

Log4Girlz

Wow, heads rollin huh? The video reviews I've watched of this game make me glad it was created in the first place...I hadn't laughed so hard in so long. This game is terrible. WTF were they thinking of releasing this steaming pile when games like World of Warcraft exist.

hteng

Banned
it would be a miracle if they can somewhat remove those copy pasta environments, also one of the reasons that burns people out quickly, everything looks the same!

Londa

Banned
Yoshiya said:
From a commercial standpoint, the current direction could hardly be worse. Whatever your personal opinions on it, your beloved game wasn't going to exist in a couple of years the way the project was going.

There is nothing wrong with me being concerned with where the direction of the game is going. They haven't shown the given outline yet.

The game was improving and I and many others were having fun already with the game so your comment is wrong.

Zomba13

hteng said:
it would be a miracle if they can somewhat remove those copy pasta environments, also one of the reasons that burns people out quickly, everything looks the same!
I still can't believe this is still being complained about. The game sucks for a lot of reasons but this isn't really one of them. Even the big dogs like WoW do this (yay for all the caves and mines looking the same or having an identical layout!). Seriously, I've noticed more copy pasta caves and mines during my WoW playing (pala to 78, druid to 37) than I ever did in FFXIV (beta and first month of retail).

jiggle

hteng said:

that's a pretty petty thing to complain about
especially considering how enormous the zones are

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sometimes I think I'm the only person on planet Earth who's been enjoying this game since it came out. Not that I mind improvements or anything.

Oh well, sorry for Tanaka.

Fewr

Zomba13 said:
Seriously, I've noticed more copy pasta caves and mines during my WoW playing (pala to 78, druid to 37) than I ever did in FFXIV (beta and first month of retail).
Well, of course you've noticed more of it in a game you've played for ages vs. a game you played for only one month.

(just saying, I haven't played either game)

duckroll

Fewr said:
Well, of course you've noticed more of it in a game you've played for ages vs. a game you played for only one month.

(just saying, I haven't played either game)

I think his point is that it exists in both games, and it's not as big a deal to the people actually playing, as it is made out to be by sensationalist blogs.

I don't feel bad at all for Tanaka. He always seemed extremely passionate about FFXI in the past. With XIV it always sounded like he and the rest of the guys just didn't give a shit.

XI's become an infinitely better game throughout its life. XIV can do the same with the right attention put into it.

Regulus Tera said:
I wonder what are the chances for a FFXIV character in Dissidia 012 after this?

Does it even have any memorable characters yet? :| So far the story and world seem pretty phoned in compared to XI...though I'm clearly not that far in the main quest line.

Either way, the November update was a pretty remarkable improvement as far as the IMMEDIATE stuff that needed to be fixed. In my opinion it really wasn't worth playing at all up until that point because of the severe UI lag that made it a real headache to enjoy. With two updates this month it's sure to keep getting better rapidly. Hopefully with that, more people can play and enjoy and progress, and see that it's probably not a bad game at all at its core.

sky

Awntawn said:
However, now that they're acknowledging their mistakes, apologizing, and taking steps to try to correct it, I think some of the mudslinging should stop.
Indeed. This is really a huge move, especially for SE, but it's just what was necessary.
The game is still pretty boring, but I feel somewhat better about it now. Extending the free trial indefinitely was a great choice... now I can wait for them to finish it up without feeling bitter.

And as far as the UI goes, I think we can expect the new guys in charge to have some pretty good freedom...we already know they plan on implementing an entirely new UI system that will become an option for players. It's been mentioned but they haven't actually shown it off yet so they are probably going to go back and rework it some more. Once it's ready players will be able to choose between the current UI system and the new one. At least, that was according to discussion on the Lodestone last month...things could continue to change.

" that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked. I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked."

Glad they decided to fix the problem..

Top Bottom