• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV delayed to November 29 - Confirmed

Mailbox

Summary of the Tabata statement from the video:

- FFXV went gold the other day, and that was planned to be the version they ship on Sept 30.
- That version of the game will be playable at Gamescom, and they are cutting a 30 minute gameplay video to be released on Aug 16 showcasing the performance of that version.
- They planned a massive Day One Patch for the game which would further polish the game and fix lingering issues.
- But they have decided that instead of pressing the current gold master and delivering a day one patch, they will instead wait and use that completed version as the final gold master.
- Hence the game will be delayed to Nov 29, but they will be adding even more stuff on top of the planned fixes of the day one patch.

tl;dr - The game is delayed because they believe not everyone has internet connectivity and they don't want them to be left out of the perfect FFXV experience when the game ships to stores.

I mean... if that's the reason, I can't be mad.

I'm just glad the madness from the last couple of days is over

Shigeru-Miyamoto-Quote.jpg
I hate how often I see this quote, but I can't deny how right it is.

kami_sama

Never has been a bad delay. sucks for those that wanted it right now, but if it's for the better I don't mind.
I shudder thinking about the state of nms before the delay, right now I like the game, but it still needs some polish.

Also, does anyone else think this might have something to do with neo?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay let me explain it this way:

- Last week they finished the master copy of the game. This would be the version that goes to manufacture right now to produce the millions of discs they will need by Sept 30 to have in retail stores around the world.
- While that is being done, the team planned to continue working on polishing the game up and fixing bugs to have a Day One patch ready on Sept 30 by the time the game ships.
- Instead they will be applying that patch before manufacturing discs.

This also gives them the opportunity to make a different Day 1 patch for the November 30th release that presumably fixes less critical bugs.

I really respect how open Tabata has been with development. The delay stings but a 30 minute video of the game is more than enough to make me forget about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hate how often I see this quote, but I can't deny how right it is.

Really? In 2016?

I mean, I get it when he presumably said it back in the 90s or early 2000s and you didn't have game patching on consoles, but games get rebuilt all the time post launch these days.

mortal

Gold Member
Welp, there you have it.

Honestly, I can't even be upset when Tabata directly addresses the fans like this. It's very sincere, and makes me respect him and the team all the more.

I understand the pressure is heavy, so please do what ever you need to do FFXV team.

duckroll

This also gives them the opportunity to make a different Day 1 patch for the November 30th release that presumably fixes less critical bugs.

It also gives them more time to work on what would have been the original Day One patch, since now they can have up to... say... early Oct to finish it instead of a week before Sept 30.

So now in November, in order, we have:

CoD: Infinite Warfare, Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Pokemon Sun and Moon and Final Fantasy XV.

And just within the week after we have Gravity Rush 2, Dead Rising 4 and South Park.

Lol.

Juicy Bob

You know, as a percentage of total development time of this game, a couple of months is probably the shortest delay added to a release date in gaming history.

OniBaka

tl;dr - The game is delayed because they believe not everyone has internet connectivity and they don't want them to be left out of the perfect FFXV experience when the game ships to stores.
I love this, I hate day one patches. I want my copy to be complete as possible without having to download extra patches.

Forkball

Persona 5 has more time to breathe in Japan.

Also Pokemon Sun and Moon are now going to be out before FFXV. Generations IV-VII were released after FF Versus XIII was announced. There have been more Pokemon generations in the span of FF Versus XIII/XV's development cycle than there were before it.

hemo memo

Gold Member

- FFXV went gold the other day, and that was planned to be the version they ship on Sept 30.
- That version of the game will be playable at Gamescom, and they are cutting a 30 minute gameplay video to be released on Aug 16 showcasing the performance of that version.
- They planned a massive Day One Patch for the game which would further polish the game and fix lingering issues.
- But they have decided that instead of pressing the current gold master and delivering a day one patch, they will instead wait and use that completed version as the final gold master.
- Hence the game will be delayed to Nov 29, but they will be adding even more stuff on top of the planned fixes of the day one patch.

I respect that. a rare case in the industry sadly.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
To be honest I really don't believe the reason to delay is for evading a common pratice accepted by everyone and everywhere like the day-one patches.
They must have had other problems and they're hiding it.

AgeEighty

I don't think the delay is for Neo support, since they could just patch that in when Neo launches.

Eh. It's not awesome news and it's indeed pretty embarrassing after the Uncovered event, but it's whatever.

Jb

It's rare that we don't get a press releases these days when a big game goes gold. I imagine the team had been talking about the delay with Square for a while now.

I'm fine with the delay, I'm pretty numb to delays these days.

What I don't get is why it's a two month delay, if the main reason for the delay is the day 1 patch, which should have been ready day 1, why isn't the delay only 1 month?

If it's because of the "extra stuff", they should have just added that as DLC after release instead of a whole extra month delay.

chefbags

Tabata mentioning that he wants this game to be so awesome that other games run away is funny lol and I believe him. Dude doesn't compromise and he wants us to go experience the best version possible.

Get some rest after this tabata-san.

duckroll

I don't think the delay is for Neo support, since they could just patch that in when Neo launches.

Eh. It's not awesome news and it's indeed pretty embarrassing after the Uncovered event, but it's whatever.

At no point in the video is it even hinted at or suggested that the Neo (which is an unannounced product at this point, just acknowledged by Sony to exist) is a reason for any of this. I don't think Tabata is lying either.

I guess it's a good thing that it got delayed, but the 09.30 was the perfect date for me personally. At least they managed to lock this for 2016
I hope

Very fair reason and absolutely the correct one morally. S-E is known for at the least polish.

Now all that remains is what of a Neo version...

AgeEighty

At no point in the video is it even hinted at or suggested that the Neo (which is an unannounced product at this point, just acknowledged by Sony to exist) is a reason for any of this. I don't think Tabata is lying either.

I know, I'm just addressing the notions put forward that they might do that as part of the "extra things" they are adding on top of the planned fixes.

sappyday

The whole "games are good when they are delayed" is complete bullocks though. Remember Watch_Dogs? Remember Duke Nukem? Remember Mighty No. 9? Delays mean the product's having trouble coming together and they need more time. It should more be like "Games are slightly less unfinished when they are delayed."

Sure let's go with that.

lol really? You picked out a handful of games that have been delayed.

Let's go through of list games that have been delayed that have been good
- GTA V
- Uncharted 4
- The Last of Us
- The Witcher 3
- Dark Souls 3

These are games that just popped up into my head, but I'm sure there's more out there. Delays aren't what made those games in your list bad; they're just bad games in general. That's possible with this game but at the moment this delay isn't hurting it at all.

I'm very curious as to what extra content they plan on putting though. Also I'm very curious as to what the master version looks like.

Top Bottom