• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV delayed to November 29 - Confirmed

Releasing into such a crazily crowded window and missing Black Friday can't possibly be a good thing for sales. And since Square has not been shy about saying it needs really good sales for the sake of the future of the series, the stakes are higher than normal.

I wanna say Squeenix knows what they're doing, but I really don't know. I can only hope. They're risking a lot just for the sake of the gaming population who doesn't have an internet connection. Sounds like a whole lot of gamble for vague amounts of payoff.

DKHF

Even if I have lost most of my excitement for the game I have a lot of respect for Tabata. That video was very sincere and he is extremely determined to save FF (in terms of singleplayer after FFXIII, FFXIV ARR helped the brand as a whole). I think this delay will be well worth it and push the game to the next level in terms of quality.

Trump-delay-optimized.gif

duckroll

Actually I'll argue that people don't even remember broken games, they only remember bad experiences. So if you managed to dig yourself out of a broken launch to be something memorable, it blows over.

Verder

they saw the NEO and was like "okay guys, we gotta stop fronting. We need to make this playable even for this system."

DAMMIT square.

Hope the upcoming 30 min video demonstration shows off an entirely new area.

And Tabata almost looks like he was holding his tears at bay delivering this news.

Summary of the Tabata statement from the video:

- FFXV went gold the other day, and that was planned to be the version they ship on Sept 30.
- That version of the game will be playable at Gamescom, and they are cutting a 30 minute gameplay video to be released on Aug 16 showcasing the performance of that version.
- They planned a massive Day One Patch for the game which would further polish the game and fix lingering issues.
- But they have decided that instead of pressing the current gold master and delivering a day one patch, they will instead wait and use that completed version as the final gold master.
- Hence the game will be delayed to Nov 29, but they will be adding even more stuff on top of the planned fixes of the day one patch.

tl;dr - The game is delayed because they believe not everyone has internet connectivity and they don't want them to be left out of the perfect FFXV experience when the game ships to stores.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I can't imagine they could've delayed it to an earlier date, as all the disc pressing factories are probably booked out with all the other big holiday games.

All the fuss over delays always seems silly to me. It's two months, unless you've got some really pressing schedule, who cares? Personally I'll just play the multitude of other games that are coming out or are already in my backlog instead. They just need to make sure FFXV is actually good.

Ketaya

If the reasoning is true, then good on Tabata. Putting the Day-1 patch on disc is the right thing to do. Nothing is worse than Day-1 patches that are required to play the game because they include critical fixes or even features missing on disc.
Not long ago I lived in a village without proper internet connection, so I appreciate his explanation.
I mean they will make a Day-1 patch anyway, but now probably one that isn't as critical and mandatory.

Looking forward to the gamescom footage.

zeromcd73

I'm okay with this. Fix the game and make sure its good. I have Persona for September, WoFF/TLG for Oct, and Watchdawgs for early Nov anyway.

Prompto

Banned
Gonna be interesting to see how well the gamescom demo runs considering that was the intended "master version" that was going to be released.

I was about to turn 20 when it was announced as Final Fantasy verses XIII. I'm about to turn 30 and it's still not out.

Teenager to basically in the grave and still no game. :-/

Bizzquik

Well, some of us are still waiting for an announcement of a PC version, so hopefully console-first gamers don't mind waiting a few weeks.

Wonder how far out a Steam release is...? A year? Two?

Mailbox

I think the very sad thing is that in a couple of minutes, when this hits critical wind, SE staff and Tabata are probably gonna be hit with a flood of death threats and hate, despite their explanation being completely sound.

I can wait 2 months, but the dark, angry, loud side of the internet doesn't have that restraint. I hope the best to Tabata and the FF15 team, and I hope that they focus on the event, on the game, and on whatever else and ignore the media and twitter.

The good news is that I can wait on buying a new ps4 for a bit :3 Gives me more time to play some games on my backlog :3

SE gets extra time to perfect the game, and I'll actually be able to play FFXV along with GAF during my winter break. This is a win-win situation for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i wish other developers were willing to delay to avoid shipping broken games that need 40gb patches

thank you s-e

sappyday

Hope the upcoming 30 min video demonstration shows off an entirely new area.

And Tabata almost looks like he was holding his tears at bay delivering this news.

I hope it doesn't. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Duscae and compare it to what we've seen before. Also that way less areas are spoiled.

ranmafan

Im glad they came out with that message and Im all fine with the delay. That was a very great explanation and a good sincere apology I think. If it makes it a better game for everyone thats great, and thats all we want. Make the game better, I can wait two more months no problems.

But really the only thing is for me, I don't want any more "uncovered" like events in the future from any companies where release dates are announced and are the main aspect of the event if they can't 100% deliver on it. I know in these days of development and pr thats basically impossible, but I just don't think it does anyone good to have events like that when only weeks to go before release, things like today happen. Its does nothing more than frustrate people on all sides I feel.

Anyway glad its finally official. Actually ends up better for me in many ways. But still what a bummer having to wait a few more months. At least I can actually get through the Japanese version of Persona 5 in the meantime.

Jarmel

Banned
Summary of the Tabata statement from the video:

- FFXV went gold the other day, and that was planned to be the version they ship on Sept 30.
- That version of the game will be playable at Gamescom, and they are cutting a 30 minute gameplay video to be released on Aug 16 showcasing the performance of that version.
- They planned a massive Day One Patch for the game which would further polish the game and fix lingering issues.
- But they have decided that instead of pressing the current gold master and delivering a day one patch, they will instead wait and use that completed version as the final gold master.
- Hence the game will be delayed to Nov 29, but they will be adding even more stuff on top of the planned fixes of the day one patch.

tl;dr - The game is delayed because they believe not everyone has internet connectivity and they don't want them to be left out of the perfect FFXV experience when the game ships to stores.

If true, that's a very noble thing. That's why I'm not sure I buy it.

AgeEighty

A couple of months ago I moved, and I tried to change the shipping address for my preorder through the S-E Online Store. They replied that they couldn't do it because it's in a different state.

I'm re-sending the request since they've pushed back the release date, and I'm really hoping they'll make an exception now since this isn't my fault. I could have made it work for September, but there's no way I can receive the package at my old address in November.

I understand the issue here. it didn't want to go toe to toe with Pokemon! /s

I don't mind waiting for 2 months, I would rather they ship the game they want to ship as opposed to the one they are forced to.

I am glad that its all going to be on disc for everyone instead of whats probably going to be a hefty patch.

Guess Who

Banned
I wanna say Squeenix knows what they're doing, but I really don't know. I can only hope. They're risking a lot just for the sake of the gaming population who doesn't have an internet connection. Sounds like a whole lot of gamble for vague amounts of payoff.

The unspoken implication of "we don't want players without internet connections to experience the game without the day one patch" is "the game is not in a state we are happy with without the day one patch," and the implication of "we delayed the game even further than would be necessary if it were going gold when the day one patch would've been done" is "we need even more time to polish up the game than the day one patch would've allowed, either." This press release is a very nice way of saying the game is not in a state Square Enix is happy with yet.

I already went through my 5 stages of grief yesterday, so time to move on until November.

At least I still get to see Kingsglaive in a proper theater on Friday.

Top Bottom