• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae |OT| Brought to you by Coleman™

Falk

that puzzling face
FFXV Episode Duscae Combat-focused Run & Postgame

So here’s the video I said I’d get uploaded. I felt I needed this before I engaged in any further serious discussion/debate because I often found I needed to fall back on footage to back up what I was trying to convey, and this video lets me do that by linking directly to specific timestamps with the context that it's a full-runthrough and not cherrypicking. It’s not so much a ‘it’s fine learn2play’ statement as it is reinforcing my opinion in that I can see how a lot of the design decisions were very deliberately made. And by all means please don’t let me dissuade you from sending in your own feedback.

Some of this is copypasta of previous posts I’ve made, but I’ve consolidated and refined my ramblings into what I really wanted to say, in a more concise fashion (... hopefully)

Here’s the video description that pertains more to the video itself. My opinion and verdict follows after that.

This is a combat-focused runthrough of the game that starts with selecting "New Game" and ends with killing Deadeye (postgame) without using summon, items or cover regen, clocking at just under 3h30m. This is -not- a speed run by any stretch of imagination. I threw this together mainly for myself because I was lacking footage that supported what I was trying to say in debates and discussion about the combat system, presentation, features, highlighting things I think could be improved upon, etc. No running commentary. I did it from the start so that I wouldn’t simply be doing a bunch of encounters where Noctis is already OP as far as the demo goes. (although there’s some of that in the second half of this video)

There are a lot of things that people do not realize are in the game (partially due to a barebones tutorial), and a lot of things people wish FFXV would be. At its core, however, as mentioned by Sun and Haz during the PAX East presentation, there are a few pillars on which FFXV combat is built on
- Balancing offense and defense
- Managing MP
- Parrying
- Selecting the right weapons for the right slots (This really isn’t built upon enough in the demo though)
FFXV is it’s own thing and isn’t going to change

A lot of the combat encounters I get into in this runthrough are to demonstrate the nuance already possible within the limited moveset that the demo presents. This involves things like successfully dealing with all the different monster types with the least amount of fuss, going on the defensive when necessary, making use of flinching/staggering, making use of the Techniques, disengaging when things gets rough or overwhelming, etc. You could say I’m pretty proficient at the combat system and it’s totally possible from picking up pointers just by watching. Yet at the same time this is a no-bullshit start-to-end run with no editing. I do screw up quite a bit, and I’m not trying to hide errors in my play - that is not the point of the video. Essentially keep in mind I’m not cherry picking highlights to make combat look better than it is.

===================================

The basic structure of this video is two parts divided roughly in half. Combat doesn’t really get interesting until the second half when especially Knightsguard is obtained.

The ‘main quest’ of the demo, involving:
- 7:00 Combat tutorial
- 12:39 Misc tutorials (fighting the first Sabertusks, Garula and Magitek troops)
- 24:30 Tracking Deadeye + stealth section
- 41:47 The plan and failure
- 55:30 Visiting Wiz’ chocobo post
- 1:04:50 Visiting the Goblin cave and obtaining summon
- 1:27:40 Going back to Deadeye and throwing just to summon
- 1:33:00 Getting the 4th sword (I get it here rather than at the start so that I’m doing e.g. the Goblin cave without being OP)
- 1:34:40 Fixing the car, ending the demo including the spoilery bits

Postgame, involving
- 1:42:30 Levelling to 46 (so, a LOT of combat)
- 3:08:50 Beating Deadeye without using the summon, items, or excessive cover to regenerate MP.

I kept a running timer while doing the postgame and broke off to fight Deadeye when I figured the fight would bring the two halves roughly to equal length.

===================================

For quick-navigation, here are some of the more interesting combat encounters:
- 30:50 - Basic Sabertusk pack - warp-flinch is your friend, as is preemptively vanquishing to save time
- 48:10 - Garula pack with Magitek troops dropping in - near-flawless swapping between offensive and defensive
- 58:20 - Saberclaw pack without food buff - it gets a little tedious but shows that parries are actually predictable before the animation begins if you pay attention to positioning
- 1:11:47 - Lots of goblins
- 1:15:00 - Lots of goblins EP2 Revenge of the Armiger
POSTGAME
(Most of the other postgame combat encounters are worth watching for different reasons)
- 1:44:35 - A fight where I end up bailing because no food buffs is terrible
- 2:34:30 - is one of the more interesting prolonged encounters, complete with bugs.
- 2:46:20 - wat lol. MORE BUGS. Oh well, since combat is the point of this runthrough, I abort.

And here are my thoughts:
It's kind of clear that a lot of the way the demo works is very, very specifically done to showcase different parts of what's going to be important to FFXV gameplay. Stuff like food immunity making the cave much easier to showcase the cooking system. Stuff like the summon being an overpowered set piece just to show off the summon system (you're delusional if you think you'll be able to cheese every boss this way in the full game)

Versus XIII was always going to be an action slanted JRPG and that's not going to change. The only thing that's really shifted is the focus being even more on Noctis than his companions, just because he's an overpowered wanker (largely due to plot reasons, mind you)

Regardless of Square Enix's long term plan for the Final Fantasy franchise in general, FFXV is locked into its course. That's why I think the way the demo was bundled with Type-0 was a good one. I think Square Enix realizes that at this point, there's so many different Final Fantasy games, each with its own rabid fanbases, who all want the next installment(s) to be exactly what they want, and it's simply too diverse a lot to cater to everyone. Hence bundling with Type-0 and collecting feedback only from the people who bought it is serves as a kind-of entry barrier, or a focus group if you will. It allows them to refine the experience based on feedback specifically from people who would find FFXV's premise interesting, e.g. in broad strokes:
- People who have been following development of Versus XIII for some time and have an interest in it in particular, and who understand the action combat slant was the intention to begin with.
- People who are invested into Type-0, which shares roots in ARPG systems, and has the same (current) director.

It's not just simply 'a ploy to sell more Type-0 copies'. Of course, there's still going to be some confusion, consternation and negative reception to the combat (and that is totally fine, opinions etc), but at least it's not going to be 80% people asking for turn-based combat without a clue as to the history of Versus XIII.

(It bears mentioning now that I have platinums on all KH1.5/2.5 games along with Critical runs with all optional bosses defeated, as well as close to 100% completion on the Arkham and Assassin’s Creed games, aside from multiplayer trophies)

Regarding comparisons to KH: There’s definitely a more grounded, realistic feel to the combat, and I personally find that it’s largely based on western influences. I think it’s more accurate to say that the animation work in this game is ‘fluid’, where character action games and KH feels more ‘gaseous’ (Not that I mean that in a bad way - it’s simply how character action controls essentially let you accelerate, turn on a dime, and jump several times your height with only a passing resemblance to conservation of momentum and physics as they apply in real life). I think it goes beautifully with the more grounded, realistic look FFXV has adopted compared to the more fantastic aesthetic of Versus XIII (in the gameplay segments, if not the FMV)

I personally found the demo to be a breath of fresh air for the franchise. I wouldn't want every mainline entry to be like this going forward (and honestly the gameplay 'works' just because it specifically hinges heavily on the plot device of Noctis being able to summon different weapons on the fly) just like I wouldn't want every Final Fantasy to be strictly turn-based like FFX.

I'm going to echo the sentiment that this is quite refreshing not just for Final Fantasy, but for action games in general. It's got this weird hybrid disposition halfway between the very responsive combat like Tales or KH and the slower, more deliberate animation-based western combat of Assassin's Creed or the Arkham games. I feel this, even in its barebones state, has successfully branched out into being its own thing, especially when the nuances of weapon swapping and managing MP come into play.

There's just a very deep skill component in the combat right now, once you understand all its subsystems and nuances. For example, the camera/lock-on could use some work to be more intuitive, but I've revised my opinion that it's more of poorly explained, rather than badly designed, and I can totally see how people who have been testing it from the get go could have allowed it to 'get to this point' since it's functional when you play the game a certain way.

In most JRPGs you fight enemies because you encounter them randomly, need drops, need XP, need to kill a certain number for missions, or whatever. It's something you eventually want to rush through. Conversely even in its barebones state In Episode Duscae I'm getting into combat just for the sake of combat, simply because I want to push myself harder and pull of a shit ton of cool clutches and feel like a badass. Looking back at PS4 auto-recorded footage, I'm always finding things I could have done better, whether it be whiffed attacks, better mana management, getting that one parry off, staggering a mob that could have been staggered, landing a Full Thrust, predicting choreographed attacks better, etc. The potential skill ceiling for this is very, very high, and we've barely even scratched the surface of the systems/customization/options in the final game's combat.

I'm at the point that I hope there are challenge modes just to capitalize on the combat system, like the combat challenges of Arkham City. That's how good it is. On one hand it's something that's more JRPG flavored than the typical western action games like Arkham or AC, like I said earlier. On the other, it's not like the Gold Saucer arena in FF7 where you're entering just for the prizes, and there's not much investment into the rounds of combat itself - you just want Cloud to win so you'll be done with it.

There are definitely things I think need fixing or optimizing (not talking about the technical aspects) but I’m going to leave that for direct feedback to Square Enix for now, or if someone specifically brings it up as a point of discussion. I’m excited to dive fully into the combat of the full game.

p.s. more combat tips focusing on a single specific encounter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1AIxNKIlAI

chozen

iight I'm back just beat Bloodborne back on to ffxv now so whats going on? More demo impressions?

*edit* damn, Falk just went in.

Philippo

Amazing work Falk, i'll actualy show this to my friends to make them understand the many nuances if the combat system since i'm not good at explaining lol

And yeah the battle system is so complex already, can't immagine when you put in magic, gambit and more weapons.
I really don't get how people dislike it.
Also satisfied with how it can be both accesible and still be very skill based for who wants to dive deep into its mechanic.

Good job Tabata&Co.

Exentryk

Just finished killing off the Behemoth without the summon (level ~43-45):
- Once with Armiger cheese
- Once with no Armiger use

Have gotten everything in the demo now, and guess I should do a full video over the weekend. My combat complaints haven't changed even now. Also, I was right about the lock on - you have to hold R1 for a second and then you can press R3 for a hard lock. This is a crap system. Locking on to Behemoth's hind left leg is an exercise because there is no organised cycling of targets.

Btw Falk, only saw your Behemoth fight, and you did end up using a potion there :p
And I see you were also going for the left hind leg similar to my run lol.

P.S - Also went out of bounds of the demo and paid a visit to Titan :D

I'm going to post this again just in case, as previous post was final post on the previous page.

Selling FFXV PS4 demo code for £10.

I know this should be limited to Buy/Sell but it's been quiet on the FFXV demo front on there for a few days now.

Only reason I'm selling a code is because I bought Type-0 twice because I ended up really wanting the Collector's Edition closer to release.

rwlavt.jpg

ugh so bad yet so true

I hold out an irrational hope they add female chars who arent tits & a smile and change the main chars' looks ...

So when Tabata said that FFXV was 60% complete in February he was referring to the demo representing the game when it was at 60% complete and not that the full game was at 60% complete at the time? I assume he's referring to mechanics and whatnot as there is so much stripped from the demo. Almost seems like there's more than 40% missing in the demo, but I'm probably misjudging how much 40% can account for.

I don't really know what these percentages mean (nor does anyone else, really).

We know that a bunch of things that will be in the final game aren't in the demo because they weren't in a state of being ready to use by the time they wanted the demo out. IIRC, the demo wasn't necessarily coming at Type-0's launch initially, but there was so much demand for it that they rushed to get it out.

Either way, the 60% is referring to the whole project.

So when Tabata said that FFXV was 60% complete in February he was referring to the demo representing the game when it was at 60% complete and not that the full game was at 60% complete at the time? I assume he's referring to mechanics and whatnot as there is so much stripped from the demo. Almost seems like there's more than 40% missing in the demo, but I'm probably misjudging how much 40% can account for.
I think the 60% is refering to the full game, and that the demo is just a representation of how it was back then. Tabata also said that the Duscae area was relatively far in the development process and that other parts of the game were still less complete.

I don't think he was talking about content (monsters, quests, etc) as he was talking about features and overall game design/combat flow.

Coolio, listening now
Yes, Falk, I know.

I think the 60% is refering to the full game, and that the demo is just a representation of how it was back then. Tabata also said that the Duscae area was relatively far in the development process and that other parts of the game were still less complete.
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Dynomutt

Think I got a good concept on the swords and abilities. As well as the balance between attack and cover for HP/MP restoration.

But... can some help with parrying? I get it in training but in actual combat when the symbol comes up I take damage?

wmlk

When you guys were talking about the betrayal angle, I wish that you would have talked about the ending artwork in which we can see Ignis looking sad/hurt.

It was fun, though. :)

I've become more pessimistic with regards to how much of FFXV they'll show at E3 since this game might actually have one more E3 at 2016 lol. I think they'll have something else to show though, and I hope it'll have something to do with Sakimoto being at Distant Worlds.

Had some folk over last night to go through the demo for the first time, the
summon
certainly caught everyone's attention. I had figured when we unlocked that
summon
it was going to be some small scale thing...pleasantly surprised at what it ended up being.

The VO needs another pass though, everyone there made note of how off it sounds. I'd also like to have the lock on a trigger instead of a bumper on XB1.

Koozek

When you guys were talking about the betrayal angle, I wish that you would have talked about the ending artwork in which we can see Ignis looking sad/hurt.

It was fun, though. :)

I've become more pessimistic with regards to how much of FFXV they'll show at E3 since this game might actually have one more E3 at 2016 lol. I think they'll have something else to show though, and I hope it'll have something to do with Sakimoto being at Distant Worlds.

Lol, I didn't even realize that those 4 dudes might be representing the Noctis & Co. Hmm...
Here's a better version of the image.

Oh and, what, Sakimoto at Distant World at E3!? FFXII HD confirmed.

Flarin

They'd be insane to not have something big to show at E3 this year. Then again, this is Square... And I really believe it'll be out before E3 next year.

Falk

that puzzling face
Thoughts on the podcast:

Sabertusks
They're a cool enemy. In a game system where there isn't a numerical representation/approximation of evasion, physically evading enemies are a really cool concept. It's something you can overcome (or at least increase your hit rate) with your actual play rather than dice rolls.

- They're fine as a mob type.
- They're maybe not so fine as a default/first/common mob type.

My playthrough video has a little section where I go up against the Saberclaw pack near the cave with no food buff and it actually does take a while, so it's not like I'm overlevelling and 2shotting them when I say this. And while I do whiff quite a few attacks, there's still a flow to efficiently dispatching them, especially when you figure out you can position yourself to increase the chances of them using the Parry move. Heaven forbid there are enemies in the game where you don't just hold Square till they're dead. :p

Spoiler Territory:
Titan
If you've glitched out, you'll notice that as far as the data in Duscae goes, there are two 'sets' of terrain.
- A series of concentric rings of broken rock slanting inwards centered on the Shard/Titan.
- Roads, road signs, etc which are clearly intended to coexist with a currently nonexistent flatter landscape and thus kinda 'float'/clip with the visible terrain in the previous bullet point.
This suggests that from a gameplay standpoint, there are going to be events that completely change the terrain of large parts of the game. I'm excited to see how that works in practice. It's also interesting that the build that ultimately became the released demo has terrain that is the former rather than the latter, since you'd think the terrain would go from pristine to broken rather than the other way round. But I digress.
image.php

Falling through the world and kill triggers
Mystic Cave Zone pit lol

Lightning Returns
Hahahah when you brought that up I was remembering Pshyco and Kagari had to say, looking at Noctis and Stella's faces and laughing my ass off.

Philippo

lmao Kagari still upset about the spoilers thing.

I don't know, with the fact that Distant World is there too, i'm expecting a big showing for the game (trailer + some pieces played live).

Flarin

Thoughts on the podcast:

Reply to the thoughts:

Sabertusks:

- Yeah I think they'll be fine in the main game, but they're literally the first thing you fight in the demo, so it gives off an odd first impression of the combat IMO.

Spoilery Stuff:

I saw the video, but I didn't notice all that detail. Maybe Titan is gonna wreck house. Should be interesting indeed...

Glad you had a good laugh :)

DeSolos

Thoughts on the podcast:

Spoiler Territory:
Titan
If you've glitched out, you'll notice that as far as the data in Duscae goes, there are two 'sets' of terrain.
- A series of concentric rings of broken rock slanting inwards centered on the Shard/Titan.
- Roads, road signs, etc which are clearly intended to coexist with a currently nonexistent flatter landscape and thus kinda 'float'/clip with the visible terrain in the previous bullet point.
This suggests that from a gameplay standpoint, there are going to be events that completely change the terrain of large parts of the game. I'm excited to see how that works in practice. It's also interesting that the build that ultimately became the released demo has terrain that is the former rather than the latter, since you'd think the terrain would go from pristine to broken rather than the other way round. But I digress.
image.php

Alternate explanation of spoilery stuff:

Ok so I don't think there will necessarily be a change in terrain and here is why:

1. There are two major components of an open world terrain(which is employed in FFXV).
a. Landscape: A special type of mesh of a fixed resolution that makes up the bulk of the terrain. It usually takes a height map as input and generates a fairly convincing terrain, but it's not very good at really detailed things such as mountains unless you bump the resolution of the whole landscape a lot.
b. Static meshes: 3D models of varying detail that can be placed on top of terrain for better detailed mountains and rock formations. In FFXV static meshes are used for mountain tops and special areas.

An example of this that can be easily seen without glitching is Wiz's Chocobo post. If you start in the open field just north of it and walk towards the CP, you'll see a very distinct seam that is textured completely differently. That's the static mesh that Wiz's CP is built on top of. You could imagine the terrain there as like a dome specially created for Wiz's CP. If you want to see a different, clearer example, glitch out and head north toward the mountainous area while staying within the map boundaries. You will find that you can walk inside of mountain tops, and from within you can see the Landscape mesh underneath (complete with textures and foliage funnily enough).

2. What the hell this has to do with the Titan's area:
The Astral Shard area is mostly built out of custom static meshes rather than the Landscape mesh (hence why the terrain the titan is in is this really undetailed bowl shape). What likely happened is they just deleted some of the static mesh terrain that would normally go underneath that road to save on memory. That whole area is probably set to a really low LOD so everything is in a state as if you had been looking at it from very far away(hence the titan looking like a PS2 tech demo) That particular stretch of road can't really be seen from the demo area, but because you can probably see other parts of the road from other angles the entire dirt road must be kept in(it's one continuous asset so it's either all in or all out).

TL;DR: They probably just deleted static meshes under the dirt road that you wouldn't normally see from the intended view distance.

Falk

that puzzling face
That particular stretch of road can't really be seen from the demo area, but because you can probably see other parts of the road from other angles the entire dirt road must be kept in(it's one continuous asset so it's either all in or all out).
What about the roadsign

checkmate atheists

DeSolos

What about the roadsign

checkmate atheists

That I'm not 100% on XD. Maybe props are listed differently, and they only deleted terrain related meshes. It just seems like less of an assumption that something isn't there in an area we aren't supposed to be in, than they entire area changed slightly.

That said once we beat
Titan
I wouldn't be surprised if
"Atlas shrugs" and some serious sht happens.

HeelPower

lol Kagari comes off as super stern on here.

I guess text posts really can't represent who you are as a person in real life.

Oh well..its part of the online experience in our time.Doesn't convey the full reality of people.

Just beat the demo.
Oh boy am I excited!

The game is the best example of easy to learn, hard to master. Combat is so deep yet even a child can just mash buttons and it would look fantastic.

More than that the game itseft feels just like anime to me more than anything else. I've never had that feeling so strong before.

The only negative things I wanna say were sometimes clunky camera controls and controls overall, but there's like what - at least a year before release?

Now that makes FF15 my hypest game just after the masterpiece of MGS V

Valor

lol Kagari comes off as super stern on here.

I guess text posts really can't represent who you are as a person in real life.

Oh well..its part of the online experience in our time.Doesn't convey the full reality of people.

Nah, she's pretty grumpy day to day, I find.

Top Bottom