• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

CorvoSol

I don't know if anyone else cares, but if the MAP Noctis is looking at is the area map, then cities appear to be pretty large.

HeelPower

I don't know if anyone else cares, but if the MAP Noctis is looking at is the area map, then cities appear to be pretty large.

That is very true. I want to believe this will be the largest and most impressive FF in terms of scale. I want it to trump XII.(for what it achieved on the PS2)

I am wondering how the rest of your party controls? I hope it is a big step up from KH1 and KH2 (from what I remember, the companion AI was pretty basic).

Ideally it would be akin to the Gambit system from FF12 so you can customize your support. Another acceptable possibility would be the adaptive AI from Dragon's Dogma. It was very satisfying when your Pawn 'learned' how to defeat enemies.

HoodWinked

looks like it will play like crisis core. nomura is actually a decent game designer, the world ends with you for example.

Exentryk

The weapons only cycle to the right. Any one notice a leftward cycle? This might mean that only one button is allocated to the cycling.

duckroll

Here's another thought. What do the lines next to the menu options mean? At certain scenes, the line next to an option are active. This does not indicate whether that option is available, because there are scenes where the line isn't there on Attack but it's still being used. When Warp is not available it is simply greyed out, but sometimes there's still a line next to it.

h1NBhFc.jpg

SrN7NIN.jpg

TK0yDqU.jpg

Here's another thought. What do the lines next to the menu options mean? At certain scenes, the line next to an option are active. This does not indicate whether that option is available, because there are scenes where the line isn't there on Attack but it's still being used. When Warp is not available it is simply greyed out, but sometimes there's still a line next to it.

h1NBhFc.jpg

SrN7NIN.jpg

TK0yDqU.jpg

Time guage most likely.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Noctis' mana actually depletes when he does the warp command. I think he can do it for a maximum of four times so it definitely isn't overpowered.

Lower right corner:

NhbvKpy.png

Did you guys get a sense on whether warp can only be used on predetermined spots or a more free traversal mechanic?

No it definitely is linked to your mana or energy gauge, whatever you want to call it. I think you can do it anywhere you want provided you can lock on to an object.

Exentryk

h1NBhFc.jpg

SrN7NIN.jpg

TK0yDqU.jpg

Interesting! It is important to remember that in some of those scenes, the HUD is not even working, so it'll throw us off.

Anyway, I'm investigating. Great find :D

Did you guys get a sense on whether warp can only be used on predetermined spots or a more free traversal mechanic?

You have to lock on to something to warp. Be it enemies, or an airship etc. There seem to be a lot of options though.

luffeN

h1NBhFc.jpg

SrN7NIN.jpg

TK0yDqU.jpg

The sword line could be random. He has a fixed number of swords he can "carry" and they regenerate randomly when one was used. This would explain why we see a picture with the same sword icon. Or you can actually choose the order.

You have to lock on to something to warp. Be it enemies, or an airship etc. There seem to be a lot of options though.

Ah, I disappointed myself then. I was anticipating the kind of exploration options that could open up (kind of like gliding in KH1.) I guess it's more just a cool looking combat mechanic.

Thorgal

Linkform is a special ability that causes weapons to rise and circle around Noctis, and him striking the enemy once with every weapon in his armoury. Another point to note is how the soldier is being constantly struck by Swords falling from above. Not sure if this ability also reduces the damage you take or not.

Judging by the fact that it deflected bullets in the trailer i think that is a confirmation.

afoni

Banned
Not the biggest fan of what could be general combat. I'm really desperate for someone to play the game and tell us all how it plays.

I don't like the unknown.

If the so-called crystal is what gives the dude his power, then clearly it's Metatron, which enables one to Compress Space, hence enabling abilities like zero-shift and storing shitloads of swords in a Vector Trap. In that case does it mean Prince will eventually be able to use the Vector Cannon? One can only hope.

I'm interested to see how the other characters play, or whether they've scrapped/toned it down heavily from past Versus videos.

I definitely expect more gameplay videos down the road and of course, world videos.

I think I've figured out how the apparently context sensitive group attacks work, they're not quick time events, and not anything that we can explain easily - what we might be seeing is the new type of cutscene that Nomura spoke about a couple of years ago. He said the game won't have the typical style of cutscene, but instead they're blended in with the gameplay and are fully controllable to allow complete immersion with the action so players never feel like they have to stop playing.
Nomura says events will be tied to a new system, which Nomura believes has never been done before.
Events will flow naturally in Final Fantasy Versus XIII and not feel like a game as seen in his other titles. Battles in Final Fantasy Versus XIII can change depending on a player’s action.
This new 'system' seems to create a synergy with cutscene-like actions and actual gameplay - but it's hard for us to imagine how it works because it's something new been done before in a game. I am really intrigued.

HeelPower

I think I've figured out how the apparently context sensitive group attacks work, they're not quick time events, and not anything that we can explain easily - what we might be seeing is the new type of cutscene that Nomura spoke about a couple of years ago. He said the game won't have the typical style of cutscene, but instead they're blended in with the gameplay and are fully controllable to allow complete immersion with the action so players never feel like they have to stop playing.

This new 'system' seems to create a synergy with cutscene-like actions and actual gameplay - but it's hard for us to imagine how it works because it's something new been done before in a game. I am really intrigued.

yeah all those areas the seem "scripted" and QTE are actually fully playable.Instead of watching leviathan destroy everything in a long epic cutscene you get to play it.No more long moments were you just put down the controller and watch things unfold.

That's amazing imo.

The game will still retain regular gameplay , of course.

Exentryk

It looks like magic is not connected to weapons. The two times magic was used in the two trailers, it was using different swords, and the result was the same fire spell. Unless both weapons are linked with the same spell, but I feel it's not the case. Thoughts?

For all its worth, when magic is used, you see the image of the sword appear near the enemy just before the spell is executed.

Also, the following scenes are scripted imo:
  • Noctis parrying the Iron Giant
  • Prompto shooting the enemy with his hand on Noctis's shoulder
  • Gladiolus defending Noctis from Behemoth

I noticed that to trigger the "Gladiolus shield" sequence, the player moved Noctis in a specific way while allowing the Behemoth time to perform his "standing up" action. And even though Gladiolus was way far away from Noctis, the sequence was initiated.
Watch the trailer after 2:00. The sequence is initiated around 2:10.

EDIT - Still nothing on those lines duckroll mentioned earlier. It can't be random.
Just can't see it yet. =/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, what a thread

Good job guys!

Kerub

Banned
It's so cool to see this released on PS2. The console is 13 years old and still getting a game release every now and then. Especiall compared to how Microsoft handled the original Xbox.

EDIT - I was sure I was in the FIFA thread. Need to take a nap

It looks like magic is not connected to weapons. The two times magic was used in the two trailers, it was using different swords, and the result was the same fire spell. Unless both weapons were linked with the same spell, but I feel it's not the case. Thoughts?

For all its worth, when magic is used, you see the image of the sword appear near the enemy just before the spell is executed.

Also, the following scenes are scripted imo:
  • Noctis parrying the Iron Giant
  • Prompto shooting the enemy with his hand on Noctis's shoulder
  • Gladiolus defending Noctis from Behemoth

I noticed that to trigger the "Gladiolus shield" sequence, the player moved Noctis in a specific way while allowing the Behemoth time to perform his "standing up" action. And even though Gladiolus was way far away from Noctis, the sequence was initiated.
Watch the trailer after 2:00. The sequence is initiated around 2:10.

It looked better with the Irong Giant where Gladiolus was right next to Noct and jumped in. Was more believable than the Behemoth bit. You see his sword phase out, which was also kinda cool.

2:25 you will see the Attack line being used.

th4tguy

I think it was confirmed (when the game was still Versus) that there would be a world map you could explore and airships you could fly. I hope this is still the case. Really impressed by this game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Random close-up gifs of the menu in action I posted in the other thread:

hjnvJAm.gif

7tc0cQF.gif

Good thread btw, I hope it doesn't take too long before we get even more details to chew on.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks Fuu! Updated OP with your gifs. I wonder if I should remove the images and just leave your gifs there. What do you reckon?
You should keep the images too imo, the static menu pictures are helpful for analysis and gifs from these trailers will always have the hectic movement in the background.

Persona86

Banned
I think it was confirmed (when the game was still Versus) that there would be a world map you could explore and airships you could fly. I hope this is still the case. Really impressed by this game.

Yeah this game HAS to have towns, world map travel etc to really be an epic FF. That's what they said they will do, and that's what they better do.

So far the gameplay looks almost exactly as how I expected(looks better), we have known this for 7 years now, it's kind of funny to see some people's reaction to it being an action rpg NOW lol...we've know this for 7 years..

What surprised me thou is how cinematic they made it look, with things like jumping and hanging on buildings etc, amazing.

The earlier footage/pictures showed some roads which almost confirms their travel with cars plan is still coming.

Also the gameplay video we have seen now matches with what we saw in the CG footage in the past, falling down buildings, levitating swords etc. Another hint that what we see in CG will likely be in gameplay = cars/travel.

Can't wait for this game.

hope weapon switching has some actual use. How many rpgs or action games have done real time weapon switching properly and with meaning? I've pretty much thought similar to OP, so this game is probably more 'turn based' than pure action, so we won't have a DmC like mid combo weapon switching... maybe it's just for some sort of weapon triangle system?

Did the magic system in this remind anyone else of that weird psp rpgish action game, Kingdom of Paradise? Kinda the same thing where you toss your weapon on baddies and channel magic there ;)

hope weapon switching has some actual use. How many rpgs or action games have done real time weapon switching properly and with meaning? I've pretty much thought similar to OP, so this game is probably more 'turn based' than pure action, so we won't have a DmC like mid combo weapon switching... maybe it's just for some sort of weapon triangle system?

Did the magic system in this remind anyone else of that weird psp rpgish action game, Kingdom of Paradise? Kinda the same thing where you toss your weapon on baddies and channel magic there ;)

Too early to say how deep the switching goes, but it surely won't go the DMC route (and won't be as good...) It's definitely a new KH system at the least. Which begs the questions, what will KHIII do, eh?

dramatis

It seems from the scene between Noctis's dad and Yet Another Evil (Religious?) Guy, that more than just say the royal family can use the light swords.

If that's the case, Linkform might just be different 'light' weapons for each character? Noctis being sword guy, Prompto being gun guy, and Glady being heavy weapons? If Noctis is the only guy who can move around so quick the other guys are going to need heavy duty specifics to compensate.

Short seconds in the 'gameplay' trailer where you could probably be playing as Glady and Prompto have a fake UI though (I think).

Pejo

Thanks for this. Great analysis. The warp point thing is pretty cool, it will let you be semi-selective without accidentally warping into a corner or off a cliff.

Excellent analysis.

I'm still really hoping, btw, that the current very cinematic/scripted focus doesn't mean we're *not* going to get a massive overworld, airships, freeform combat with whichever roaming enemies you encounter, et cetera in addition to set pieces (I'm 100% cool with big cinematic set pieces, just don't take that other stuff away from me too).

jett

D-Member
Great writeup. Gameplay is what looks most interesting about this, ever since the very first CGI trailer with the zero-gravity action, it just looks cool. HOWEVER, everything you does a look a bit too floaty, weightless and sometimes sort of overanimated. There's no heft to swinging those swords around. Seems to me they could've used a hire from someone experienced in DMC-type games, I'm not sure they understand what makes this kind of action work. Combat still resembles Kingdom Hearts. That's not good.

Guys I think you can go actually "plant swords" into the behemoth and then possibly this is what allowed him to set it on fire ? I dont think these are part of its visual design.THey are the same as his swords.

1010452_10151560410613369_2036922517_n.jpg

1002955_10151560410908369_1411197292_n.jpg

You can target different parts of the behemoth.See lock on in different parts.

1003964_10151560411168369_15564425_n.jpg

996174_10151560411433369_1096029227_n.jpg

World's first Japanese matador? :p

I know KH has already been mentioned a few times but to me the warping reminds me so much of Aqua's Ghost Drive than anything in KH1 or 2, and not to mention it was of my favorite command style in BBS so I'm looking forward as to how they are going to implement it in this game.

Out of left field, but when I think 'teleporting' power in games. I think long combo chains and a timing based counter system where you get behind enemies.

Has a KH game ever have any sort of parry/counter style mechanic?

Posted in the other thread
Just realized this...

Promto is probably a "summon" or special moveset here.

Its two different scenes you see him doing this in, so looks like you can "call" Promto over to shoot an enemy? thats what im getting from this:

tumblr_moa0zq7rQz1r3ynjoo1_250.gif

tumblr_moa0zq7rQz1r3ynjoo3_250.gif

I'm guessing these 'group' moves are all context sensitive, determined by who is in your party/ your position with each other and with the enemy.

The main character seems like a mix between Justin Beiber and the lead singer from My Chemical Romance. Even so, it looks very flash. It could be fun, but the linear structure is a serious concern. I don't trust in Square-Enix completely. Maybe. I have a lot of faith for Kingdom Hearts 3. But that looked very tried-and-true.

Top Bottom