• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

Chake

Banned
Screen_Shot_2013_06_12_at_11_17_53_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2013_06_12_at_11_17_28_PM.png

Fighting the mob in the second picture was confirmed to be story related in the first trailer. However, you could see in the first picture thats it's day time AND the same place. I think it's safe to assume that you can backtrack (?) Also, day/night time is also there. I know it's been confirmed, but it's nice to see it in the trailer. ;p

Sorry if it was too obvious

Aeonitis

Neo Member
I really wish he would perch on top of it like Cloud on Advent Children, makes sense being followed by a swoop warp...
VjHLOo5.jpg

P.S. Incredible Analysis OP >_<

Exentryk

OP updated BlazingDarkness! Cheers!

About those party member assists, is it a button press to summon them for an assist, or do they automatically trigger given the right conditions?

If they are triggered by the press of a button, would one need a button each for the 2 party members? What happens if you summon them when no enemies are around. What does the mini cutscene show?

Muddimar

Thanks for doing this. Honestly, after watching the E3 trailer... I was worried. I didn't think it was an RPG, all I saw was Noctis (?) running around slicing things, like an action game. I must of missed all of the elements posted in the OP.

Voror

Hmm, looking at the trailers again, specifically the announcement trailer, it seems there might be some form of climbing mechanics to the game, which I think could be considered a first for a mainline title.

Well, aside perhaps from LR I guess. Could we guess exploration and finding things like secrets would also be similar to KH potentially?

Voror

I hope they put in crowds. The cities look lifeless.

Yeah, hopefully there are a lot of NPCs to talk to. Though in this case it might make sense given the attack that you might not encounter too many unless maybe it was people fleeing away.

aleshido

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Just giving my 10 cents here, plz ignore if useless!

Most of the time, when watching the Trailer, I remembered of Crisis Core mechanics, where you had free movement of the character and selected most of the commands with the shoulder buttons.

maxresdefault.jpg

The swords thingy resembles the materia seleciton system... you can cycle between them and hit the X button to perform selected action.

What if the swords are diferente attack styles and stuff?

Probably digging deeper into Crisis Core, we can figure out more about the mechanics!
Oh, btw, did someone play Type-0/Agito XIII?
The games started being developed almost at the same time... it would be Worth a shot to take a look at that as well!

Exentryk

Hmm, looking at the trailers again, specifically the announcement trailer, it seems there might be some form of climbing mechanics to the game, which I think could be considered a first for a mainline title.

Could you elaborate a little more on climbing mechanics? Maybe some screenshots or trailer time for when it happens?

Could we guess exploration and finding things like secrets would also be similar to KH potentially?

I am pretty sure you'll be warping to secret locations. Those blue lock-ons are hard to see already :p

Now I remember what the combat in this game reminds me of: Flow motion. It's executed in almost the same manner, too.

Haven't played KH3D. Might just pick up a 3DS to try this flowmotion, if it is similar.

The swords thingy resembles the materia seleciton system... you can cycle between them and hit the X button to perform selected action.

Yes, the materia cycling of Crisis Core seems a good example to describe the weapon cycling. The difference can be the button required to cycle might be different. In CC, IIRC, you used the D-pad (left or right), while here it appears you only cycle to the right, so I am guessing R2. PSP didn't have access to L2 and R2.

Apart from that, the lock-on mechanic and dodge rolling is similar.

Famassu

Now I remember what the combat in this game reminds me of: Flow motion. It's executed in almost the same manner, too.
Zeroshift/teleport isn't at all the same as flowmotion.

Well, Nomura did talk about them testing some complex crowd AI for people populating the streets of the cities (like everyone going on and about their daily life, visiting shops and hanging around). I'd just assume that you won't be seeing people outdoors when there are monsters roaming around, hostile airforce in the air and a giant sea monster rising from the lake/sea nearby.

And yeah, the weapon-switch system works a bit like Crisis Core's materia system. Each weapon has different kinds of attacks and are probably good for different situations (i.e. the spear is good for closing in on enemies quickly by lunging at them, the big swords deal massive damage when an enemy is down but is bad against agile enemies etc.)

Though, it should only be available for Noctis (if they've still kept the ability to switch characters and they aren't just AI ones like in Kingdom Hearts), since he's the only one with access to more than one weapon type. The rest are more limited to their own special weapons.

Famassu

Any word on whether the game was as open as originally intended?
Well, we see a huge map of the Venice-like city in the reveal trailer. Presumably you can zip around however you like there when it's not being attacked by a huge-ass Leviathan. And if Nomura's info about the size of the game still holds true (after the change from Versus to XV), the game is apparently so big that Nomura doubts anyone will do everything on their first playthrough. I'd assume that to mean that the game is pretty massive & open, at least in the old FF kind of way where you might be limited by the storyline how much freedom you have at first, but then the game opens up once you get an airship or far enough in the game.

Exentryk

Any word on whether the game was as open as originally intended?

We haven't seen how the areas are linked yet. From the trailer, that city map looks really big, and you have airships shown on the map too. You can warp to them and run about on those airships. And it's all seamless too.

Would you be able to fly the airship out of the city into other areas seamlessly is yet to be seen.

In these scenes the city is being attacked by an enemy force - you gonna walk around outside if it's going to hell? :p

These areas are probably very different outside of the combat situation this trailer takes place.

HeelPower

when people mention crisis core's mechanics my soul shivers. That game had the least strategic mechanics in any APRG I played...Also DMW is the most intrusive game mechanic ever.What were they thinking with that ???

XV needs to do far better than that.

Spongebob

Banned
ibgQYRx74y1Y6N.gif

^ There's one.

I think perhaps summons will appear as enemies on a grand God of War scale and then when you actually acquire them (after beating them) they're manifested as perhaps like a magic spell or something in battle. See this water that appears to shoot around the environment? I think this might be Leviathan in spell form. So in the world they appear as huge beasts and then in battle as elements. This is pure conjecture of course.

This post from the other thread made me look through the trailer and I noticed something.
Water spell definitely looks like Leviathan

BlazingDarkness might be right.

Famassu

We just mean the weapon cycling system is a bit similar to how the materia system works. You can set up what kind of weapons you want and then simply cycle through the row of them and attack with whatever weapon you want.

Pooya

It will be very interesting to see what the AI controlled members can do on their own, it looks like it would demand a pretty good AI here as it's quite intricate and there are a lot of co- attacks and others.

Ghazi

I think that's just the Leviathan attacking the city with its own magic/water, you guys are reading too far into it. Noctis isn't using the one causing that water to show up.

Jobbs

Banned
I gotta jump in here and just say this really is a next gen looking game. The animation and clothing are so incredible.

What a sausage fest though
:)

Exentryk

I think that's just the Leviathan attacking the city with its own magic/water, you guys are reading too far into it. Noctis isn't using the one causing that water to show up.

Yes, it is Leviathan just attacking the city and Noctis is not using it as a spell. We're speculating if that is how it will work when Noctis acquires the summon.

Does that mean we won't be able to summon some creatures? I hope they don't use them as a plot device like FFIX.

Should be able to. Every summon would have a signature move (spell) that they perform when summoned, and at the same time letting Noctis carry on as usual with his normal attacks. Sounds pretty cool. Let's see how it turns out in actuality.

Baleoce

Dunno if someones already posted it here, but I posted this in another thread. My favourite bit from the trailer.

iM3842gplGrrT.gif

Exentryk

Dunno if someones already posted it here, but I posted this in another thread. My favourite bit from the trailer.

That was a favourite bit for a lot of people. Just seeing that as realtime and a part of gameplay just blew me away. o.o

Ghazi

I'm getting a PS4 mostly for this game, MGSV, Destiny, and Killzone.

I feel so bad for anyone who bought a PS3 in anticipation of Versus, hmmm maybe I should wait until I have the game in my hands.

Soriku

So what's the chances or this all being in the final game?

Because it looks amazing

Especially warping and the Leviathan

Probably 100%...the warping was one of Noctis' abilities from the beginning from the 2006 CG trailer and summons were confirmed a long time ago (plus it's a main FF so summon should be expected).

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
Probably 100%...the warping was one of Noctis' abilities from the beginning from the 2006 CG trailer and summons were confirmed a long time ago (plus it's a main FF so summon should be expected).

What about in terms of the gameplay?

Eg taking on the summon? Etc looks fucking insane would be pointless to change it

Soriku

What about in terms of the gameplay?

Eg taking on the summon? Etc looks fucking insane would be pointless to change it

It's been said before that you get summons after you beat them and I assume they're aiming to make the summon battles large scale judging from the Leviathan so I'm going to assume they're not going to change that.

raven777

probably already talked about, but I thought it was interesting how the party members could be far away from you

in this image on the mini map you see two symbols on both sides of Noctis. The left one with gun is Prompto and right one is Gladiolus

I wonder if you will be able to call them to assist you when they are far away.

Exentryk

probably already talked about, but I thought it was interesting how the party members could be far away from you.

in this image on the mini map you see two symbols on both sides of Noctis. The left one with gun is Prompto and right one is Gladiolus

I wonder if you will be able to call them to assist you when they are far away.

Yeah, they'll appear right next to you to assist when required. Notice the "Gladiolus Cover" gif in the OP, under "Party member assists". When the assist initiates, Gladiolus automatically appears next to Noct, even tho he was running in the background a second ago. Not sure if it works automatically (after certain conditions are met) or by a press of a button. I am hoping it'll be a press of a button.

Btw, do you have a higher quality version of the trailer? Those images look really sharp. Or is that just off the 1080p YT trailer?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i absolutely love the way this looks.

my guess is that magic will be on a cooldown, depending on what level of spell you use, the longer the cooldown could be.

depending on the backend system, I'm sure that the cooldown or the magic can evolve to become better/spammable.

i'm also guessing that you restore your warp gauge by attacking with normal attacks otherwise magic will be too powerful once there's practically no cooldown. it seems like you absolutely need to use warp to avoid 99% of the damage you'd get otherwise.

i'm also guessing the weapon switching is similar to God of War and .hack GU, but way more fluid.

I am also hoping you level up your weapons in some fashion.

Guys I think you can go actually "plant swords" into the behemoth and then possibly this is what allowed him to set it on fire ? I dont think these are part of its visual design.THey are the same as his swords.

1010452_10151560410613369_2036922517_n.jpg

1002955_10151560410908369_1411197292_n.jpg

You can target different parts of the behemoth.See lock on in different parts.

1003964_10151560411168369_15564425_n.jpg

996174_10151560411433369_1096029227_n.jpg

I don't know why all of this teleportation using swords as a marking point, reminds me of the Shunshin No Jutsu of the Fourth Hokage Minato Namikaze Father of Naruto and the planting them on the beast to get instantaneous attacks on him, just like the fth Hokage fight against Killerbee.

raven777

Yeah, they'll appear right next to you to assist when required. Notice the "Gladiolus Cover" gif in the OP, under "Party member assists". When the assist initiates, Gladiolus automatically appears next to Noct, even tho he was running in the background a second ago. Not sure if it works automatically (after certain conditions are met) or by a press of a button. I am hoping it'll be a press of a button.

Btw, do you have a higher quality version of the trailer? Those images look really sharp. Or is that just off the 1080p YT trailer?

it is the trailer on PSN store. I think its the highest quality one so far

here is download link
PSN trailer JP (mega)

unfortunately they don't have one for gameplay trailer.

Top Bottom