• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

duckroll

I know KH has already been mentioned a few times but to me the warping reminds me so much of Aqua's Ghost Drive than anything in KH1 or 2, and not to mention it was of my favorite command style in BBS so I'm looking forward as to how they are going to implement it in this game.

Wing Blade >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ghost Drive! :p

(Hey, both are in XV! Lol!)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Great to see all this analysis. I'm definitely seeing more depth than I had thought previously but I am still concerned about how all these action mechanics and systems work together. In addition I want to see the complementary stuff later on so we know how it all meshes together.

Exentryk

Just corrected a major typo in the OP. I've been calling it the link form gauge when it should be called the Warp gauge. Sorry for the confusion. We don't know what restricts the spamming of the LINKFORM ability, currently.

Will add and update the rest tomorrow, unless duckroll or another mod does it. Those set pieces need more investigation.

Great to see all this analysis. I'm definitely seeing more depth than I had thought previously but I am still concerned about how all these action mechanics and systems work together. In addition I want to see the complementary stuff later on so we know how it all meshes together.

Might not be a lot of depth, who knows. KH wasn't the deepest game around but it worked. We haven't seen what the growth system is like yet and that will play a role itself.

I'm still reading through the thread, so this may have been asked already. Do you think - when not in combat - we'll be able to manually select where we want to warp to in the environments? I'm thinking of some really cool exploration where you can warp around to the tops of buildings, on a tree, or up a cliff. xD

Or do you think all the warp points are all fixed and you have no manual control over where you want to go?

Could never get into modern final fantasies because of the whole "here's a list to scroll threw while dodging" thing, this looks much better, similar to kingdom hearts I guess?

Famassu

I'm still reading through the thread, so this may have been asked already. Do you think - when not in combat - we'll be able to manually select where we want to warp to in the environments? I'm thinking of some really cool exploration where you can warp around to the tops of buildings, on a tree, or up a cliff. xD

Or do you think all the warp points are all fixed and you have no manual control over where you want to go?

Nomura has said/hinted that you could scale the walls of skyscrapers and that there are some secrets to be found on top of buildings (treasure chests and such), at least when this game was still Versus XIII. So... I'd say yes.

probably fixed.

If you wanna assassin creed around, lightning returns is just around the corner!

duckroll

I think when I'm not in combat I will want to find a car or airship to travel faster, rather than warping everywhere!

Nomura has said/hinted that you could scale the walls of skyscrapers and that there are some secrets to be found on top of buildings (treasure chests and such), at least when this game was still Versus XIII. So... I'd say yes.

Oh, that'd be really cool. Hope that stays the same. Speaking of treasure chests, I hope there are actually useful stuff in them in this game. For some reason, finding treasure chests in XIII/XIII-2 were not all that satisfying - not sure why.

If you wanna assassin creed around, lightning returns is just around the corner!

Uh, yay. :p

I think when I'm not in combat I will want to find a car or airship to travel faster, rather than warping everywhere!

That's a good point. xD Although, I do like foot travel in games, too so I can battle often. Honestly, I just love how the teleporting/warping looks, so I want to do it a lot. lol

I'm starting to enjoy Nomura's 'design' style beyond just his characters.

KH was hard to really lock down, as it is 90% Disney designs/property and the other original 10% cartoony to mesh with the Disney stuff, but I guess it was Advent Children that really started to make me appreciate a lot of the design ideas Nomura has.

I see a lot of that in this.

Makes me wonder if- with the tech boost and gameplay correlations to the action we see in AC- if FFXV could be the training wheels for some kind of massive FFVII game follow-up to Advent Children?
Maybe not likely (I could see Nomura getting another numbered FF after a possible Kitase or Itou FFXVI and Team Otaka's KH3), but I would definitely be interested. Every time I watch AC I think "damn... I wish this was a game instead of a movie." :p

Voror

Fantastic thread!

Very interesting looking at the analysis of what we've seen thus far, but of course more is needed to determine some aspects since it does seem this version we saw may have been messed with to provide no waiting times between actions from things such as MP or whatever the game uses.

I suppose the main worry now is that these systems can all work together.

The bit with Noctis' weapons again makes me curious on how leveling up and equipment works in this game. The idea that skills can be learned from certain weapons a la IX could explain having multiples of the same equipped.

On a side note, was Kingdom Hearts combat that bad? Especially KH2? I ask because it's been a good long time since I've played any of them, but I generally had fun with it all. Wasn't KH1's combat changed in certain aspects for 1.5 that made it more similar to KH2?

I swear, many years ago, my friends and I thought of this exact same combat system when we were playing Secret of Mana. Teleporting sword combat with teammates! Can't wait, baby.

Thorgal

Too early to say how deep the switching goes, but it surely won't go the DMC route (and won't be as good...) It's definitely a new KH system at the least. Which begs the questions, what will KHIII do, eh?

versus and KH probably run on the same engine so there will be some simillarities

It's been almost 13 years since we've gotten to control an airship in a mainline FF game (not counting Type 0... as those assholes at S-E haven't brought the game to the rest of the world :{...).

It's fucking time.

Fantastic thread!

Very interesting looking at the analysis of what we've seen thus far, but of course more is needed to determine some aspects since it does seem this version we saw may have been messed with to provide no waiting times between actions from things such as MP or whatever the game uses.

I suppose the main worry now is that these systems can all work together.

The bit with Noctis' weapons again makes me curious on how leveling up and equipment works in this game. The idea that skills can be learned from certain weapons a la IX could explain having multiples of the same equipped.

On a side note, was Kingdom Hearts combat that bad? Especially KH2? I ask because it's been a good long time since I've played any of them, but I generally had fun with it all. Wasn't KH1's combat changed in certain aspects for 1.5 that made it more similar to KH2?

KHII's gameplay worked but it was pretty much just press X (Triangle when you need to) and that was about it. It was fun I guess, but mostly thanks to those crazy animations and fireworks, which is what Nomura likes.

Voror

KHII's gameplay worked but it was pretty much just press X (Triangle when you need to) and that was about it. It was fun I guess, but mostly thanks to those crazy animations and fireworks, which is what Nomura likes.

Hmm, thinking back from what I remember that does feel rather true. I always tended to rely more on physical attack than magic. Eh, hopefully it's deeper here then in that case. What we've seen thus far certainly looks to have the potential to be that.

Neolith

Really enjoying the incorporation of all those classic looking FF monsters (behemoth, iron giant) and even the summons have a more classic look as well. I hope they end up doing more of this, need me some Malboros

Portugeezer

This game looks brilliant. Always nice to see some AAA JRPG's not just handheld JRPG's... hope SE get their shit together and make more profit on consoles, we need more of this goodness!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Since this is "mainline" now, all the blood is blue?
I forgot that Versus was going to be for a more mature audience. Someone else did note the blue blood earlier, but I didn't think it was due to XV having a standard FF rating.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure if anyone picked this up, but it seems like you can video link (possibly through magic?) with your team mates. Look at the centre of the pic below.

3uZi6cn.jpg

Not sure if anyone picked this up, but it seems like you can video link (possibly through magic?) with your team mates. Look at the centre of the pic below.

Actually I believe it's a cell phone he uses :lol
You can also take ingame photos using this cell phone.

It's also how he accesses the maps etc

orioto

Good Art™
Great thread! Makes me excited for the game. It's a little too actiony for my tastes but maybe there will be some strategic deepness to it.

Just a correction OP, the orange targets on enemies are soft lock-on points for attacks, not for terrain warping.

When Noctis can warp to a piece of terrain it's actually a large blue circular icon that pops up, as shown in the trailer;

1501_zpsbac2d0b3.jpg

Two icons at top of screen

1502_zps65098314.jpg

Dead center - the icon expands as you get closer

Furthermore, if the camera isn't pointing to one of the targets then the blue icon will appear in the corner of the screen

1504_zpsc5755001.jpg

(Top right corner) This indicates which direction the closest warp point is

If you keep an eye out in the gameplay trailer these blue icons are scattered all over the environment to allow strategic traversal.

Notice how in the GIF there's a blue icon above the enemy?
1371009376-warp-1.gif

My guess is that certain skills/attacks involve warping to an enemy was well, but to freely warp around it's the blue icons you need to look for.

Still need to watch the trailer, but this is a fantastic analysis.

Definitely looks like an evolved combat system from BBS, which is my favorite system out of all KH games, so watching the gifs has given me hope that combat will be just as fun if not moreso.

Versus XIII was my most anticipated out of the entire FNC line solely because of the ambition and combat, so seeing XV (as it's become) now, I cannot wait to play this game.

Exentryk

Just a correction OP, the orange targets on enemies are soft lock-on points for attacks, not for terrain warping.

When Noctis can warp to a piece of terrain it's actually a large blue circular icon that pops up, as shown in the trailer;

Awesome work! Thanks for attaching the pics.

I'll add that to the OP when I get back home. Can't open the GIF heavy first page right now.

Top Bottom