• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people who played the game are liking it a lot. Story is a mess, lots of stuff seems to be last minute removed, but everything else, including the character, is really good. While aware of its problems, and baffled by them, I found the game to be more than the sum of its part, and an experience that I mostly adore. I suspect that most of the people who've finished it will agree with me.

There were red flags. Even so, I didn't expect things
shown in trailers to be cut
. I accidentally clicked on it as well and saw
the story itself is allegedly a fetch quest

With the abrupt opening and nature of the plot, it kind of feels like we're getting a modern 1980s JRPG. I guess that's fine, but personally it feels like a bit of a waste for the series. I was looking forward to the potential for a more competent handling of the FNC lore. Type 0 might have the most to offer there.

HMD

Most people who played the game are liking it a lot. Story is a mess, lots of stuff seems to be last minute removed, but everything else, including the character, is really good. While aware of its problems, and baffled by them, I found the game to be more than the sum of its part, and an experience that I mostly adore. I suspect that most of the people who've finished it will agree with me.

Agreed, don't play the game for the story. Take your time with the game and enjoy the characters, world, sideqiests and dungeons, they're the best part of the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But doesn't the story go full force towards the second half of the game and turns out well?

Also, how would guys rank the overall OST compare to XII and XIII?

JBwB

Agreed, don't play the game for the story. Take your time with the game and enjoy the characters, world, sideqiests and dungeons, they're the best part of the game.

So essentially play it in a similar manner as FFXII.

XII was my favorite game in the series so I can certainly do that.

I wonder how the complaints about the story requiring Brotherhood and Kingsglaive will actually play out.

I don't plan on watching either so I guess I'll see how the understandable the story is. I'm hoping this is a case of people thinking the story is not understandable without KG/Brotherhood because they've watched it and not actually the case itself.

Sooo how's the performance for the regular PS4?

My buddies been playing on a regular PS4. I don't know if he can spot frame pacing stuff but he's pretty good with general FPS. He says it's a fairly solid 30, with a few dips here and there.

He had played the Judgment Demo on my Pro for about 3-4 hours and said the performance is largely the same.

I think it comes down to how much you care about the actual story.
I've been really excited for this game but the story itself didn't really interest me. I was more brought in by the concept. Going on a roadtrip with friends in this huge world, fighting monsters, going into dungeons, finding stuff, etc. All of that seems to be well received from those who have played the game so I'm definitely still interested in playing despite the story massive issues and certain expectations not being met (things like the red moon and certain areas not being explorable/cut, things apparently not getting more fantastical than altissia, etc.). However, some people care waaaaaaay more about the story so they might just consider the game bad and won't even play the game just because of that which is something I've been seeing.

Personally, I think its going to review a bit divisively and will end up with a score somewhere around the 70s to low 80s. From what I hear consistently though is that MGSV is another game that had a really poor story but good gameplay which ended up getting it the good scores that it did so maybe I'm wrong and it reviews better than I think it will. You even have a GAFer who apparently has confirmed contact with various members of the press and says that they enjoyed the game. I'm really curious to see what ends up happening come the 28th.

And yeah, that spoiler thread seems pretty awful now.

HMD

I wonder how the complaints about the story requiring Brotherhood and Kingsglaive will actually play out.

I don't plan on watching either so I guess I'll see how the understandable the story is. I'm hoping this is a case of people thinking the story is not understandable without KG/Brotherhood because they've watched it and not actually the case itself.

You can skip Brotherhood but you need to watch Kingsglaive, the game expects you to know who Regis and Luna are when you start the game.

sappyday

Quick Day 2 impressions:

Haven't made it to Lestallum but I already have like 16 hours in it. I'm loving it so far. Having a lot of fun. There are some issues that persist.

You can skip Brotherhood but you need to watch Kingsglaive, the game expects you to know who Regis and Luna are when you start the game.

Why does the game expect you to know them? Can you give me an example?

Why can't your knowledge of the characters develop over the course of the game? Are there certain actions they do at the start that confuse the player unless they've seen Kingsglaive?

SaniOYOYOY

I really don't want that to be honest. I want them to move on to something new, which to me is the best thing about FF15 being out at last.

agree100℅ . I think SE working on15 will be a great experience for them on many side, game technical and non technical wise. From the impression I can say 15 is a safe refrence in modern final fantasy, what to do and what not to do.

Im optimist for another mainline ff . no more doom and gloom post13 square for us :D

HMD

『Inaba Resident』;225365897 said:
I think it comes down to how much you care about the actual story.
I've been really excited for this game but the story itself didn't really interest me. I was more brought in by the concept. Going on a roadtrip with friends in this huge world, fighting monsters, going into dungeons, finding stuff, etc. All of that seems to be well received from those who have played the game so I'm definitely still interested in playing despite the story issues and certain expectations not being met (things like the red moon and certain areas not being explorable/cut, things apparently not getting more fantastical than altissia, etc.). However, some people care waaaaaaay more about the story so they might just consider the game bad and won't even play the game just because of that which is something I've been seeing.

Personally, I think its going to review a bit divisively and will end up with a score somewhere around the 70s to low 80s. From what I hear consistently though is that MGSV is another game that had a really poor story but good gameplay which ended up getting it the good scores that it did so maybe I'm wrong and it reviews better than I think it will. You even have a GAFer who apparently has confirmed contact with various members of the press and says that they enjoyed the game. I'm really curious to see what ends up happening come the 28th.

I fully expect the game to score much lower than MGSV, at least MGS had good presentation and it had no explicitly bad parts unlike XV.

Sooo how's the performance for the regular PS4?
Really good. Solid 30 fps in combat. Even summoning Ramuh in battle has stable 30 FPS unlike the Duscae demo. I am honestly pleasantly surprised to see the performance.

The only place where I noticed more frame pacig/drops were around Lestallum during exploration. But on the plus side, NPCs aren't popping up a few feet from the player like in an early video.

The game also looks pretty damn impressive visually but it is also inconsistent. Lighting makes or breaks the visuals and depending on the lighting situation, it can look very good to mediocre. The base infiltration section looks almost as good as the video they released back in 2015, which people said was from PC.

As for the technical limitations of the base PS4, I noticed.

Shadow dithering and lower shadow draw disance
Low res screen space reflection (might be improved on PS4 Pro)
Jaggies and Hair dithering. Thankfully it is better than the Duscae demo but not as clear.

Trace

Banned

Why can't your knowledge of the characters develop over the course of the game? Are there certain actions they do at the start that confuse the player unless they've seen Kingsglaive?

It's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but think of it as starting a story from a random page instead of the beginning.

HMD

Why can't your knowledge of the characters develop over the course of the game? Are there certain actions they do that confuse the player unless they've seen Kingsglaive?

It's apparent from the very first cutscene with Noctis and Regis, it's for the emotional connection with the characters, otherwise they're just Noctis' dad and his fiancé nothing more.

It's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but think of it as starting a story from a random page instead of the beginning.

Let's see. That sounds like being thrown into a world where stuffs happening and has already happened. But at a simple level, no different then many TV shows these days. I guess it depends on the execution. I just have am erring in disbelief because most people who said Kingsglaive are necessary have also watched it.

I'm not reading a lot of impressions (or any really) where people say the story is confusing. I see the story as non-existant, mediocre, poor, good and any other variation. But I'm not seeing much in the way of it being described as confusing.

It's apparent from the very first cutscene with Noctis and Regis, it's for the emotional connection with the characters, otherwise they're just Noctis' dad and his fiancé nothing more.

The CG cutscene? That's nothing. Yea okay, if that's the example then Kingsglaive isn't "necessary."

Ruff

Well it'd be like starting a game 2 hours in when everything is already established, sadly. It further gives me an uneasy feeling about how put together the story is to begin with, when things are going to referenced with no expectation that you don't know what they're talking about

Well it'd be like starting a game 2 hours in when everything is already established, sadly.

But... this happens in all sorts of media and other games, like all the time.

You can be thrown into a world and have world building and the story not be confusing. Just because the movie is a prequel doesn't make it necessary. It could add depth and significance to the story.

But it doesn't automatically equate to necessity. Maybe I just need to play it because none of this sounds very convincing to me on the necessity of Kingsglaive.

Ruff

You can be thrown into a world and have world building and the story not be confusing. Just because the movie is a prequel doesn't make it necessary. It could add depth and significance to the story.

But it doesn't automatically equate to necessity. Maybe I just need to play it because none of this sounds very convincing to me on the necessity of Kingsglaive.

Yeah but those other media usually try and establish stuff that comes before and give you an idea about how things are. This game does not.

HMD

Let's see. That sounds like being thrown into a world where stuffs happening and has already happened. But at a simple level, no different then many TV shows these days. I guess it depends on the execution. I just have am erring in disbelief because most people who said Kingsglaive are necessary have also watched it.

I'm not reading a lot of impressions (or any really) where people say the story is confusing. I see the story as non-existant, mediocre, poor, good and any other variation. But I'm not seeing much in the way of it being described as confusing.

The CG cutscene? That's nothing. Yea okay, if that's the example then Kingsglaive isn't "necessary."

Okay, you most likely won't understand who the villians are, what they want and what they're capable of.

It sounds like the Regis and Noctis scene will probably fall extremely flat if you haven't been introduced to Regis in Kingsglaive. You're expected to sympathize with the fall of Insomnia because you've seen it in the supplementary material. I mean, it sounds to me based on the descriptions as though it's pretty necessary if you want to appreciate the story.

Okay, you most likely won't understand who the villians are, what they want and what they're capable of.

Now this is an actual problem. Let's see how it is for me. I'm not gonna watch KG, so I'll be going in with no knowledge.

Edit: ^ I think that's more the adding depth to a story then necessity. You don't need to an entire movie to establish why a son might care about his father or why the fall of an kingdom is imoortant. The movie could certainly add gravity to each scene, enhance it and make it better. But it doesn't make the movie necessary for the enjoyment of the game.

There's plenty of stuff that when you truly explore the backstory via other means it enriches the media your consuming. That's what the Noctis/Regis scene sounds like to me.

It's more like starting a book from a random page, and then ripping all the rest of the pages out but then you realize you still need to read some kind of story so you start taping the ripped up pieces together with scotch tape and hope for the best.

10 years.

Feep

Banned
On Chapter 7, and the narrative is getting worse. It's as fragmented as I've ever seen a finished narrative. Justification for certain missions is nonexistent, key plot points that the game expect you to understand are never communicated to the player. I'm supposed to care about a character who died for some weird reason, when the game never even told me his name until AFTER his death. The beginning of a Chapter told me what Noctis was currently doing, and it came as an utter shock to me. Why are we going to this place? What the hell is the point? What's Luna doing during all of this?

Ugh.

That goes for near enough 99% of major Japanese releases so I would say the two cancel each other out.

Nah. Most Japanese (and even a lot of Western games) have mediocre, poor or bad stories.

MGSV is that special shit show that only Kojima could deliver. A bunch of nonsensical plot strings and characters.

It was like an MGS story, but worse. Somehow.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Can we get people to share what makes the characters(core group and supporting chars) great?
Like what's each characters arc and how does everyone grow?
How insightful is the banter they have or is everything fluff?
What can we expect characterization wise?
Are these characters more realistic and feel nuanced or is it a Tales game kind of deal where they largely play off their stereotype?

Yazzees

I mean... the story in MGSV was hot garbage, and incomplete by the accounts of many.

True, but am I wrong in recalling that a lot of reviews basically skimmed over that? I don't know if FFXV will get that same treatment. I doubt it.

also can someone confirm dual audio in FFXV or nah

True, but am I wrong in recalling that a lot of reviews basically skimmed over that? I don't know if FFXV will get that same treatment. I doubt it.

Me too. Think the story is probably going to be the big factor in the scores being low, alongside the structure change.

Hyunashi

Yea, but even then the story is truly a mess in the first half or so of the game and then it picks up imo. The last few chapters were really well done and the ending was honestly amazing for me.

rhandino

Banned
... this thread feels and read a lot like the ones previous to the release of Xenoblade X.

I have the feeling that XV is going to score higher mostly because people said that XenoX was going to be divisive and western media was going to put it on fire and then the game was warmly received.

I think i will still love it, even with a "bad" story.
How is it compared to Xenoblade Chronicles X?
I know some people really didn't liked the story. I can understand that, but didn't mind it myself, because i was so much into the world, which made the exploration my own "story"
Hope it will be like this, when i play Final Fantasy 15.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
On Chapter 7, and the narrative is getting worse. It's as fragmented as I've ever seen a finished narrative. Justification for certain missions is nonexistent, key plot points that the game expect you to understand are never communicated to the player. I'm supposed to care about a character who died for some weird reason, when the game never even told me his name until AFTER his death. The beginning of a Chapter told me what Noctis was currently doing, and it came as an utter shock to me. Why are we going to this place? What the hell is the point? What's Luna doing during all of this?

Ugh.

I trust you Feep. You were right about MGS5.

Edzi

I've skimmed over this thread, and I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now at the impressions. Story is everything in a FF game (to me anyway), and hearing about people's impressions on the story here just make me think this game will be FFXIII all over again. If this acutally turns out to be the case, I think the franchise is pretty much dead to me.

Neff

Another day gone by and Simplygames still hasn't shipped the game, so there goes my chance of playing it Saturday. Loving reading the opinions though.

For what it's worth, Simplygames hasn't given me a shipped prompt either via mail or in my account history for a long ass time, in fact I'm not sure they even do it anymore at all.

I've had games shipped from them on the Thursday turn up on the Friday, so there is hope.

I've skimmed over this thread, and I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now at the impressions. Story is everything in a FF game (to me anyway), and hearing about people's impressions on the story here just make me think this game will be FFXIII all over again. Tbh, if this turns out to be the case, I think the franchise is pretty much dead to me.

It definitely has flaws but it's no FF13 not even close. It will get criticized and rightfully so due to the multimedia format it chose to tell its story.

Edzi

It definitely has flaws but it's no FF13 not even close. It will get criticized and rightfully so due to the multimedia format it chose to tell its story.

I suppose it depends on what part of XIII burned people the most. For me it was the characters and story, and from what I'm reading here XV suffers the same problem. I hope that's not the case though.

What do you think makes it better than XIII?

Papito

I'm confused, final fantasy has always been about the stories being told, and yet some people are saying that the story doesn't matter and that its bad but other parts of the game make up for it. I'm not sure I'm ok with that. Me being a final fantasy fan or a fan of rpgs in general has always been story first than gameplay second. If the sorry sucks that's very disappointing to hear coming from 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom