• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted to get technical, FFX could have been part of Spira as well rather than the whole thing, from the sheer fact you weren't mechanically able to fly off the north edge of the map and end up at the south edge.

(lol)

My point being 'the entire world' in most classic JRPGs were not physically possible constructs, and certainly not globes.

Spira in FFX is a single island chain on a large planet. You see this clearly when Sin tries to pull the moon down and we get a shot of the entire hemisphere.

FFXII takes place across three "continents", Valendia, Ordalia, and Kerwon, which are connected in much the same way Africa is connected to Asia. All of these are theorised to be east of where Final Fantasy Tactics takes place.

Ray Down

Banned
What are the odds any of this is dealt with in the bigger "crown" patch that is theoretically due yet before launch day?
Details are out, the patch isn't addressing it.

I didn't notice the issues when I was playing Judgement demo, so I'm fine with playing it on the Pro.

Are Suikoden and Trails games unplayable for you?

Hey, since I like FF12, clearly I do not automatically hate JRPG that don't do that, I just like them more if they do do that.

I've not really played any of Suikoden games, maybe two hours of one of them. and probably 3 total hours between multiple Trails games...

Fou-Lu

Hey, since I like FF12, clearly I do not automatically hate JRPG that don't do that, I just like them more if they do do that.

I've not really played any of Suikoden games, maybe two hours of one of them. and probably 3 total hours between multiple Trails games...

Not trying to hate on you, I am just wondering how strongly this matters to you. BTW, here's the incomplete world map of the Suikoden world:

OqHjtfU.jpg

Mostly the games take place in a single country each. Trails games are the same way, though with multiple games in a single country. GREAT games though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
FFXII takes place across three "continents", Valendia, Ordalia, and Kerwon, which are connected in much the same way Africa is connected to Asia. All of these are theorised to be east of where Final Fantasy Tactics takes place.

Forgot about Kerwon.

That world is so rife for future content. It's a shame XII never really caught on with the mainstream. Tactics is well-celebrated, but largely confined to diehards.

5 hours into FFXV. Still on chapter 1.Can't comment on story but gameplay wise this might end up my favorite FF game ever. I just really like how it works and how good it looks.

First to clear some confusions

Sprint stamina can be upgraded on the ascension grid so it refils faster and lasts longer. Sprinting becomes less of a hassle after update.

The crown update improves the camera and also adds kingsglaive and omen trailer cgi scenes. Kingsglaive scenes are used atleast two times and also in flashbacks later, while omen trailer feels like it was simply tacked on and it is essentially an abridged version of the trailer that starts with attack on soldiers on bridge. There is no clear focus on Noctis' face so the transition isn't jarring but the scene plays out
in a dream.

Now i am not saying the current patch is the crown update but improved camera and frame pacing is evident on the base ps4 along with beast whistle and new scenes from movie and omen trailer.

Deepo

Needs a new thread tbh. so this gets SE full attention. They better fix this shit.

Yeah, I should probably have made a thread. I feel like I've spammed this a few to many places now, so I'm a bit worried about breaking any rules. Maybe someone else could make a thread, or I can do it if Kagari can confirm it's ok? Mostly a lurker, you see :)

~Cross~

Isn't Vagrant Story supposed to take place somewhere on Ivalice too?

Valendia, but Matsuno didnt intended it to be like that originally and it was just executive meddling. Also like FFT all of these titles are supposed to be happening on very different time periods.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Isn't Vagrant Story supposed to take place somewhere on Ivalice too?

Yeah. Vagrant Story is set several hundred years after FFT, which is in turn quite a ways past FFXII/Revenant Wings/FFTA2.

There's a great cataclysm which occurs an undisclosed amount of time past FFXII/RW/TA2, an era I've affectionately dubbed the Golden Age. It seems to have wrecked most other races from existence. It's a really, really bad time. The games which take place post-cataclysm -- earlier games release-wise, but chronologically latter -- feel more medieval, more Middle Ages. It sort of tracks with conventional fantasy world-building. I'd love to explore so much from that world's lore.

I do have Yasumi Matsuno on my Facebook (lol) and I've actually spoken with him a couple of times in the past. Game of Thrones and cats. Those were our subjects. Not even kidding. I'd love to get a hold of him sometime and ask him about any lingering ideas he had re: that world (as well as Ogre Battle's) but our conversations were very short and difficult. He's a cool dude, it's just that translating can be a challenge. He has an appreciable grasp of English, but it's still very elementary.

I should try to befriend Alexander O. Smith someday. <_<;

Valendia, but Matsuno didnt intended it to be like that originally and it was just executive meddling..

Interesting. I never knew that.

benzy

Needs a new thread tbh. so this gets SE full attention. They better fix this shit.

I tweeted @ffxven about it since the digital foundry vid so hopefully the devs know people are concerned about framepacing now. Their social media is always listening to feedback.

Not trying to hate on you, I am just wondering how strongly this matters to you. BTW, here's the incomplete world map of the Suikoden world:

Mostly the games take place in a single country each. Trails games are the same way, though with multiple games in a single country. GREAT games though.

Being set in a consistent world over multiple games allows to compensate for that I guess, by slowly revealing it. Direct sequels to FF games so far have all been kinda awful, so I don't expect a FF15-2, so I'd like to see basic overview of the entire world in this game, instead of having this world with other potential continents just get left behind half way through our exploration of it.

sappyday

The Kingsglaive scenes were added nicely btw. It's a smooth transition. I haven't seen the Omen. The crown update looks the same as the update I got but I can't warp outside of battle. I have the mp3.

Falk

that puzzling face
Being set in a consistent world over multiple games allows to compensate for that I guess, by slowly revealing it. Direct sequels to FF games so far have all been kinda awful, so I don't expect a FF15-2, so I'd like to see basic overview of the entire world in this game, instead of having this world with other potential continents just get left behind half way through our exploration of it.

I think you're not getting me here.

Realistically modeling a world map on a globe comes with all kinds of issues. Two completely different solutions is to either assume the 'world map' is actually part of an actual world map, or a cartographic abstraction where going off the top edge leads you to the bottom.

You can't realistically model a bunch of continents and expect them to make sense w.r.t each other both as a flat plane (which makes the most sense for a game engine) as well as relatively on a globe. Especially not one attempting a realistic aesthetic, nor in a seamless open-world game.

The crown update looks the same as the update I got but I can't warp outside of battle. I have the mp3.

Unless your exploration music sounds like this *** WARNING SPOILERS IN RELATED VIDS WARNING *** you're not on the Crown Update patch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If they gave awards for talking past each other, Falk... :p

theofficefan99

lolll those patch notes are like "Here's a patch that's going to improve the game by 400%, sorry reviewers and people who got the game early that are spreading impressions already~~~~"

I think you're not getting me here.

Realistically modeling a world map on a globe comes with all kinds of issues. Two completely different solutions is to either assume the 'world map' is actually part of an actual world map, or a cartographic abstraction where going off the top edge leads you to the bottom.

You can't realistically model a bunch of continents and expect them to make sense w.r.t each other both as a flat plane (which makes the most sense for a game engine) as well as relatively on a globe. Especially not one attempting a realistic aesthetic, nor in a seamless open-world game.
I do get this, it's just completely irrelevant to my point, Falk. I don't need a fully modeled world...

So there's definitely another patch that's going to go out. That's damn good.

Cause warping out of combat isn't in right now and that's going to be nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom