• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV May 24 update adds survey to title screen regarding future updates

neoism

I enjoyed this game for what it was (warts and all) and I also enjoy GAF getting so wound up about it still getting support.

lol didnt know this but ive known for a long time i use to follow the threads of games i play but one topic on gaf thats a no go is the main FF threads... every game could be someones fav and it makes the threads just meh to read/go though...

but being made a game keeps getting updates.😂😂😂😂😂😂 wtf
i have a 150 save and loooooved every minute of it... this is the best ff since ff12 and i even loved 13... for the lucky few that try this game in a few years it will be great.
but yea the dlc not being included in the base game and sowed into the storyline is the only reason im not playing anymore but if they change and add enough to the game for free im all for it....

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nothing will probably come close to FFXI in that regard.

If you want to get real technical, they have been updating the gae regularly because a) it is part of a new business to model to extend the life of big budget games

This works for a game like GTA V/Online. It doesn't work for a game like this. Don't eat into their explanation when it's really an excuse and a ploy. You shouldn't be believing everything they say at face value.

and b) they want the game to get better so that the people who did not buy at launch will be more tempted to and so more people come back for the mulitplayer / expansion,

Other games do this by having their game be... you know... good. lol? Also, it's expected that patches and fixes happen but the degree of stuff they're adding makes you question things. Companies are not your friend.

Other games do this by having their game be... you know... good. lol? Also, it's expected that patches and fixes happen but the degree of stuff they're adding makes you question things. Companies are not your friend.

Dude, your getting paranoid because Squeenix is doing above and beyond support for a released game... Take a second and breathe.

Your opinion is that the game is not good. Just move on then. Why are even posting in this thread about the game getting post-launch support and are irked that it is even getting a support when they have released a season pass and are working on releasing the second major story DLC this June. They have their own reasons to work on incremental updates and it has nothing to do with the success and failure of the game.

Games that have a season pass and get DLCs usually follow the heavy post-launch support pattern. Batman Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3 and almost every game that has Season Pass has released incremental updates improving the original game. Heck The Witcher 3 even received a new UI and cutscenes for the story yet not one was getting worked about the game eating support for other projects.

DSix

Banned
They still do surveys 6 months after the game's been released. This is ridiculous.

Just move on already.

IO Interactive downsizing and post-launch support for FFXV have functionally nothing to do with each other other than that you read it on the same day. Find a better reason for your trip to the salt mines.

I said they're tangentially related, and they are.

Square-Enix has, in one hand, taken the game that was widely panned, that they specifically had to issue a patch to fix Chapter 13 on because it was so terrible, and have showered it with nothing but love and support because it's a darling FF title.

Square-Enix has in its other hand, given the shaft to practically all of its western pursuits. Remember when selling over a million units of tomb raider and over three million units of hitman was a failure? Remember when Deus Ex had a shoehorned F2P game thrown into DX:MD, and then they iced the series? Remember when the execs at SE shifted United Front Games from making Sleeping Dogs 2 to making Triad Wars, and then shuttering them?

IOI being sold off and today's layoff announcement is just one more gut punch to anyone that liked the games SE published that aren't called Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, and news like this, while innocuous, is annoying because it's just more proof that SE's priorities are really fucking specific. After the critical reception of FFXIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XIV, and XV, I hope you'll understand the salt at XIV getting the resources for ARR, and XV getting the resources for whatever the fuck it wants to be, but IOI not getting the resources for Season 2.

Cute.

Square-Enix has, in one hand, taken the game that was widely panned, that they specifically had to issue a patch to fix Chapter 13 on because it was so terrible, and have showered it with nothing but love and support because it's a darling FF title.

Square-Enix has in its other hand, given the shaft to practically all of its western pursuits. Remember when selling over a million units of tomb raider and over three million units of hitman was a failure? Remember when Deus Ex had a shoehorned F2P game thrown into DX:MD, and then they iced the series? Remember when the execs at SE shifted United Front Games from making Sleeping Dogs 2 to making Triad Wars, and then shuttering them?

IOI being sold off and today's layoff announcement is just one more gut punch to anyone that liked the games SE published that aren't called Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, and news like this, while innocuous, is annoying because it's just more proof that SE's priorities are really fucking specific. After the critical reception of FFXIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XIV, and XV, I hope you'll understand the salt at XIV getting the resources for ARR, and XV getting the resources for whatever the fuck it wants to be, but IOI not getting the resources for Season 2.

Cute.
What...

Oh. Never mind. I just remembered why people who are more positive about the game don't post in these threads anymore.

Edit: I'll address it here because it keeps being brought up. SE supports titles and franchises that make money and are profitable. No matter what you think of FFXV, it is popular and was profitable. Hitman wasn't and was a constant money sink. Simple as that.

kayos90

Your opinion is that the game is not good. Just move on then. Why are even posting in this thread about the game getting post-launch support and are irked that it is even getting a support when they have released a season pass and are working on releasing the second major story DLC this June. They have their own reasons to work on incremental updates and it has nothing to do with the success and failure of the game.

Games that have a season pass and get DLCs usually follow the heavy post-launch support pattern. Batman Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3 and almost every game that has Season Pass has released incremental updates improving the original game. Heck The Witcher 3 even received a new UI and cutscenes for the story yet not one was getting worked about the game eating support for other projects.

My opinion is irrelevant to what I stated. A good game will have longer life expectancy and will sell more throughout its life then a bad game. That is a fact. My thoughts on whether it's good or not is irrelevant. SE wants to give the perception that the game is good through continued support and updates.

Oh. Never mind. I just remembered why people who are more positive about the game don't post in these threads anymore.

Literally a definition of drive by.

Cute.

I'm pretty sure Square Enix Europe is, for all intents and purposes, not actually the same company as Square Enix Japan. Owned by them, yes. But it's run by entirely different people and IIRC is more-or-less a rebranded Eidos.

I'm done I just can't y'all have y'all party man it's ashame. I almost wanna test to see if I can constantly do this with another game more liked on here but I enjoy my account I'm out

My opinion is irrelevant to what I stated. A good game will have longer life expectancy and will sell more throughout its life then a bad game. That is a fact. My thoughts on whether it's good or not is irrelevant. SE wants to give the perception that the game is good through continued support and updates.

It's a funny cuz u have said nothing about all the other drive bys btw

I'm pretty sure Square Enix Europe is, for all intents and purposes, not actually the same company as Square Enix Japan. Owned by them, yes. But it's run by entirely different people and IIRC is more-or-less a rebranded Eidos.

I don't really know who made the final call to pull out of IOI, but the statement about it was issued by Square Enix Holdings, which would be big holding company encompassing everything.

Squire

Banned

Edit: I'll address it here because it keeps being brought up. SE supports titles and franchises that make money and are profitable. No matter what you think of FFXV, it is popular and was profitable. Hitman wasn't and was a constant money sink. Simple as that.

Bolded the key word. "Was"

FFXV is done. It's gotten the sales and consciousness it's going to. It's not a service game like an Overwatch, nor is it an SP game with an easily expandable online component like GTA V. Serious question: Is this even still in the NPD top 40? If it's not selling significantly they're wasting their time.

I don't really know who made the final call to pull out of IOI, but the statement about it was issued by Square Enix Holdings, which would be big holding company encompassing everything.

Sure, but it's like Disney. Yeah, they own everything, but the people making decisions about Mickey Mouse aren't always the ones calling the shots about Kermit or Spider-Man. Holdings issued the statement because they are the parent company and it's their responsibility to report what happens with their subsidiaries, but that doesn't always mean it was them that makes all decisions on behalf of each of them.

Sure, but it's like Disney. Yeah, they own everything, but the people making decisions about Mickey Mouse aren't always the ones calling the shots about Kermit or Spider-Man.

Yeah, and in keeping with that analogy, FF is like the Disney Animation Studio. Usually great production values, but regardless of whether something from there bombs or not, they're never going to shut *that* part of the company down. I'm just really fucking salty that all the old Eidos shit keeps getting the shaft, regardless of how good the games actually are, while FF keeps getting propped up.

Now that I think of it, didn't SE Europe run Legacy of Kain into the ground, too? God damn.

benzy

Niiice, this costume will be available for anyone now:

DAevvuEXUAA4vqJ.jpg

Always wanted that one. Will be my first cosmetic DLC ever :D

It's free too.

bdxRlau.gif

It will never be perfect, but is one of the most "FUN" games that I have ever played. Flawed?....yes....but just enjoy it. It truly does invoke that sense of friendship, and there is enough story there to enjoy it. Go play it.

FFXV is done. It's gotten the sales and consciousness it's going to. It's not a service game like an Overwatch, nor is it an SP game with an easily expandable online component like GTA V. Serious question: Is this even still in the NPD top 40? If it's not selling significantly they're wasting their time.

So just to preface i like FFXV but i am not 100% happy with it now with that out of the way.
Your view is incredibly short sighted you know SE is going to port this game for years so it's a good way to have to team do work before they fully move on to the next project. It also helps the reputation of the brand if they are willing to improve and fix parts of the game after it has already been out

LordKasual

Banned
This works for a game like GTA V/Online. It doesn't work for a game like this.

How tho
Square-Enix has, in one hand, taken the game that was widely panned

there goes that bubble again

there are many reasons why they're still working on this game, and none of it amounts to a waste of time

FFXV's playstyle is actually very well equipped for expandable online content, which is what they're building up to

Rpgmonkey

These updates have been kinda lame so far. Cool novelties to read about but not really anything that'd make me actually want to boot up the game again or purchase DLC. Good for people really into the game or new players though I guess.

If they ever add in a cool high level dungeon that leads to Omega Weapon or something though, I'll play it again. The game's high level "dungeons" were pretty weak the last time I played, dunno if they ever changed them. I guess I can suggest this in the survey but I feel like the winning feature would probably be more photo filters or something. :/

So you are saying that the critical reception that it has received doesn't prove that the game is good? Since when is a meta score of 81 considered bad?

You are somehow under the impression that to show that a game is good, the company somehow needs to continue to support it with post-launch updates. It is the most ridiculous statement I have heard and there are plenty of them right in this thread.

A good game is never guaranteed to be a good seller and vice versa. Plenty of so called good games have been released throughout history and bombed terribly.

Arkeband

Banned

You underestimate the PC re-release sales potential once the game finally gets what it was always missing: Stinky Tofu with a Mellow Flavor. Can you say, "game of the century"?

If you want to grasp at one preposition to bolster some argument you have then, by all means, grasp away.

If there is the option in the survey for:

Add scene after chapter 3, 4
Add DLC directly to the Main Story
Add guest characters without DLC
Rebalance the gameplay (no potion abusing, better balance in fights)
More good quests ala Witcher 3 and not damn fetch quests
More Noodle Cup quests
Integrate the secret dungeon into the story
Change the kings weapon hunt
Give Luna more scenes
Give us Tenebrae
Let us finally drive the car anywhere
Let us change characters
Give us better monster hunts
Explain the Imperium and the antagonist which there were and dont just forget two of them
Etc

Thank you. Posting this is much better than what you were doing earlier in the thread. If there is an option let them know about all of this.

I plan to personally tell them how I want a Datalog/Crimson Codex/Rubicus of sorts in the game that gives character bios, history of the world, among other things like two additional cutscenes:

One for the beginning explaining the history of the world, the gods, the starscourge. The stuff that is explained in the game but that is clearly not in players faces enough.

And one cutscene showing
Ardyn's fall and his pact with Ifrit.

See? You got it. :p

Squire

Banned
So just to preface i like FFXV but i am not 100% happy with it now with that out of the way.
Your view is incredibly short sighted you know SE is going to port this game for years so it's a good way to have to team do work before they fully move on to the next project. It also helps the reputation of the brand if they are willing to improve and fix parts of the game after it has already been out

I don't know with certainty that they'll port anything, neither do you, and it'd help their reputation and that of the franchise even more if they actually released a finished product and then[/i ] supported it after that.

If you want to grasp at one preposition to bolster some argument you have then, by all means, grasp away.

You complain about negativity and drive-bys in every thread, but then you don't even engage a point of discussion? You don't want to have a discourse, you just want to whine like a little baby whenever someone dares to speak ill of Lord Tabata's opus.

When a company has to issue a public apology for how bad part of the game is, I would say the metacritic doesn't fucking matter.

In fairness, I actually enjoyed my time with FFXV. Today just has not been a very good day from the jump.
I can understand that you are under a lot of emotions after hearing about layoffs at the Hitman devs but come on man, you are now starting to sound ridiculous as you post more in this thread.

You are taking the message about post-launch support and update plan and calling it a public apology, which is just taking it too far.

To refresh your memory, here is the thread with the so called 'apology'.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322843

CTRL + F 'apology' there and share your findings please.

Arkeband

Banned
I plan to personally tell them how I want a Datalog/Crimson Codex/Rubicus of sorts in the game that gives character bios, history of the world, among other things like two additional cutscenes:

One for the beginning explaining the history of the world, the gods, the starscourge. The stuff that is explained in the game but that is clearly not in players faces enough.

Didn't they originally state that they were working on a beastiary or was that just fans wishful thinking? And a datalog is precisely the thing people hated about FF13... I agree that here it's needed, but it's really a bandaid fix and will inevitably feel like fanfiction if they start adding some long drawn out worldbuilding that the actual game itself doesn't support or reflect.

LordKasual

Banned

the only reason they're even doing extended updates and asking what people want is because they had lower expectations for the title than what they actually got.

the idea that FFXV is a critically panned, poorly received, bad selling failure is nothing more than silly headcanon

the only reason they're even doing extended updates and asking what people want is because they had lower expectations for the title than what they actually got.

the idea that FFXV is a critically panned, poorly received, bad selling failure is nothing more than silly headcanon
That's true. People just can't grasp the fact that the game has sold well, received a great critical reception average 81 score on meta after 109 reviews, managed to place in Top 6 in GAF GOTY 2016. So they will do what they can do best in such, keep uttering the same line and delusion themselves that it is a fact.

Squire

Banned
That's true. People just can't grasp the fact that the game has sold well, received a great critical reception average 81 score on meta after 109 reviews, managed to place in Top 6 in GAF GOTY 2016. So they will do what they can do best in such, keep uttering the same line and delusion themselves that it is a fact.

None of this matters. You're trying to make the case for FFXV being objectively good, but it doesnt work like that. No art does. Consensus doesn't invalidate anyone's opinion. If you think it's so great, fine. Make your case for it. Some average on some website is irrelevant.

I don't know with certainty that they'll port anything, neither do you, and it'd help their reputation and that of the franchise even more if they actually released a finished product and then[/i ] supported it after that.

I don't want to defend square enix too much here since it's not good to do as far as being a consumer goes but on one hand we have FFXV and I'm of the opinion that it's a good game that was released too soon on the other hand we have FF7R and KHIII that the fans keep complaining about since they are still not out so i'm not sure what they should do?
I think patches are kind of the best thing they can do given that it was "rushed" out the door.

Also i'm pretty sure Steam has every numbed game but XII and XV so it will come some day.

LordKasual

Banned
You complain about negativity and drive-bys in every thread, but then you don't even engage a point of discussion? You don't want to have a discourse, you just want to whine like a little baby whenever someone dares to speak ill of Lord Tabata's opus.

What the hell is this?

You think posts like his are in any way comparable to the actual driveby shitposts in these XV threads? You think it's discourse when people walk into the thread just to cite literal lies about the game? You're trying to strike a conversation? Really?

If you want to shitpost, then by all means shitpost. But don't pretend like you're trying to actually have some kind of conversation.

That shit is super weak dude.

Arkeband

Banned

So many ways to make the lowest metacritic score of any modern mainline FF sound good. (Lowest of the entire series, ignoring shitty sequels? Although even FFX-2 did better than FFXV...)

If the next one is even worse and it doesn't learn from any of FFXV's mistakes because people are too busy deflecting any and all criticisms, no one benefits.

Type40

Easily the best FF since X. I'm hoping for more silly outfits and quests, Cup of noodle, or anything on the scale of X-2's ridiculous dress spheres. Every few weeks I keep coming back to the game, lately I've been drawn in by the timed quests and finding the last of the hidden weapons.

The people who hate the game shouldn't be concerned with updates or surveys, they should worry about games that they do enjoy.

Squire

Banned
I don't want to defend square enix too much here since it's not good to do as far as being a consumer goes but on one hand we have FFXV and I'm of the opinion that it's a good game that was released too soon on the other hand we have FF7R and KHIII that the fans keep complaining about since they are still not out so i'm not sure what they should do?
I thinking patches are kinda of the best thing they can do given that it was "rushed" out the door.

Also i'm pretty sure Steam has every numbed game but XII and XV so it will come some day.

I mean, I think it's kinda silly people keep parroting "they're not working on FFV/KH3/etc"

Because the thing is: They could be. SE needs support work. They outsource staff. They did it for FFXV and they seem to be doing it for XVI now. It's standard practice for productions of this scale. So in that sense, I maintain that whoever is making this XV DLC and these updates would be better used to help on something else. XV is done and dusted.

Okay...

I read your response. There was no discussion to be had. You weren't engaging with me. You just used my post to rant about...XV not being a service game? How did you want me to respond. You were so focused on me saying "was" which is clearly a slip up because once a game is profitable it doesn't really slip back into being unprofitable.

But by all means, call me names. That's a-okay to do when your "winning" a discussion, right?

Didn't they originally state that they were working on a beastiary or was that just fans wishful thinking? And a datalog is precisely the thing people hated about FF13... I agree that here it's needed, but it's really a bandaid fix and will inevitably feel like fanfiction if they start adding some long drawn out worldbuilding that the actual game itself doesn't support or reflect.

Yes, they did state that they're still working on the bestiary. That should be coming. I don't think people hated the Datalog. They hated that crucial information related to understanding the core of the plot is in there and not in the cutscenes. You can understand XV's plot and story just fine without one. But I think having one wouldn't hurt. It would help give people a little more so they can answer smaller questions not related to the core story.

I think it was used well in games like Bravely Second and Type-0. The core narrative doesn't need it but it would be cool to have. The two added cutscenes I suggested would solve most peoples perceived problems with the story.

So many ways to make the lowest metacritic score of any modern mainline FF sound good.

If the next one is even worse and it doesn't learn from any of FFXV's mistakes because people are too busy deflecting any and all criticisms, no one benefits.
My post is about the following points.

1. Critics liked it. There are 109 reviews added on metacritic for it with an average of 81/100. It is not universally praised like Persona 5 or Bloodborne but you can be sure that it was liked by most with 89 reviews giving it a score above 75 and no critic has given it a outright terrible score or less than <50.

2. People here on GAF loved it and considered it good enough to place it in their top 10.

3. The game sold a ton setting new sales benchmark for series.

These are 3 facts in my post that no matter how you try to twist and turn, they are exactly that, FACTS.

You can try to spin it into something like 'lowest rated mainline FF' game but it doesn't work this way.

LordKasual

Banned
So many ways to make the lowest metacritic score of any modern mainline FF sound good. (Lowest of the entire series, ignoring shitty sequels? Although even FFX-2 did better than FFXV...)

It's funny how people like to pick and choose when and how metacritic scores should be considered objective or not

What does XV's score by comparison to any of the games before it have to say about the game itself?

Furthermore, seeing as none of them except the XIII sequels actually scored below average...what are you even trying to prove lol

Clearly, nobody needs to "reflect criticism" because the game didn't score in the high 90s and no actual review of the game (as in, the text, not the silly number) glanced over the flaws. The only thing that's being reflected here is your desire to artificially deflate its accomplishments to fit your narrative

StereoVsn

Yeap, this place is like a salt mine for some folks. Yes, the game had issues, but no, it's still a fun title and a lot of people quite like it. SE sold more then 6 million copies of it already, hence the support, which makes the game visible and entices people to a)Not sell their copies, increasing number of used ones out there and b)To buy DLC and c)Keep the FF brand in people's minds.

How any of that is hard to grasp for people is kind of weird, even if they personally didn't like it.

On a personal scale, I am glad they are continuing support, and I am sure we'll see a PC version sometime next year. I do hope they utilize the art assets, environment, enemies, and the engine and come up with XVI, XV-2 (new characters though), etc... in a much quicker turn around then XIII to XV. It would be good to see SE produce a FF game every 3 years again.

Edit: As far as games like Deus Ex and Hitman, the simple truth is that they did not sell. Hitman despite being a great game pretty much bombed for the franchise and considering time/money investment. So did Deus Ex (remember it was in development for quite a long time). Hence the explanation for those moves. SE is a business and FF brings in money despite all of the development problems.

kayos90

So you are saying that the critical reception that it has received doesn't prove that the game is good? Since when is a meta score of 81 considered bad?

You are somehow under the impression that to show that a game is good, the company somehow needs to continue to support it with post-launch updates. It is the most ridiculous statement I have heard and there are plenty of them right in this thread.

A good game is never guaranteed to be a good seller and vice versa. Plenty of so called good games have been released throughout history and bombed terribly.

Thanks for misunderstanding everything I've said. Appreciate it.

Thank you. Posting this is much better than what you were doing earlier in the thread. If there is an option let them know about all of this.

And one cutscene showing
Ardyn's fall and his pact with Ifrit.

See? You got it. :p

You're welcome.

Where in here have I said it wasn't critically panned, or bad selling? Please point this out to me. That's not the crux of my argument. Thanks for being another exemplary poster.

I mean, I think it's kinda silly people keep parroting "they're not working on FFV/KH3/etc"

Because the thing is: They could be. SE needs support work. They outsource staff. They did it for FFXV and they seem to be doing it for XVI now. It's standard practice for productions of this scale. So in that sense, I maintain that whoever is making this XV DLC and these updates would be better used to help on something else. XV is done and dusted.

I think future games will be supported like this, if I'm not mistaken in one of the fiscal reports by SE it stated such. XV looks egregious because it's clearly a mess..I like to believe if it had a more focused vision people wouldn't mind the updates. However, some better come to their senses that many games will be supported for a long time like this.. gotta squeeze them $$

So are they patching in the story or what?

No, if you're hoping for such don't.

Squire

Banned
So are they patching in the story or what?

It'd still be awful, so why bother?

I think future games will be supported like this, if I'm not mistaken in one of the fiscal reports by SE it stated such. XV looks egregious because it's clearly a mess..I like to believe if it had a more focused vision people wouldn't mind the updates. However, some better come to their senses that many games will be supported for a long time like this.. gotta squeeze them $$

Oh yeah, if the game was finished and really just SO GOOD!!! on top of it this thread wouldn't be going like it is. I'm actually all in on the ongoing support concept. I dig that totally. Less excited about $60 early access titles that are then finished later under the guise of generous support for loving fans.

I'm hoping XV is a bad (and I mean awful) first pass at an idea I do think is very good and has worked very well for many games already.

You're welcome.

I was afraid my sarcasm was going over peoples heads for a minute there. ;)

None of this matters. You're trying to make the case for FFXV being objectively good, but it doesnt work like that. No art does. Consensus doesn't invalidate anyone's opinion. If you think it's so great, fine. Make your case for it. Some average on some website is irrelevant.

I don't think he's making that argument at all. Art is hard to be objective about. Just like how no one can say the game is objectively bad.

royox

It'd still be awful, so why bother?

It wouldn't be if they somehow explained INGAME Izunia, Ifrit, Eos, the scourge, the meteors, the empire, the emperor, the generals, everything that happens during Kinglsaive and patch in the Open World In Darkness they planned but couldn't because time limit and stuff.

kayos90

It wouldn't be if they somehow explained INGAME Izunia, Ifrit, Eos, the scourge, the meteors, the empire, the emperor, the generals, everything that happens during Kinglsaive and patch in the Open World In Darkness they planned but couldn't because time limit and stuff.

They did explain it though. It was in words and not cutscenes. Just like how souls fans like their stuff.

Top Bottom