• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ah that's unfortunate. Switching back and forth from wait isn't going to be fun.
I honestly haven't found it to be much of a hindrance. Wait mode only initiates in battle if Noctis stands still, which I've actually found beneficial, as it allows me to adjust the camera. And of course Libra is very beneficial.

Fuck auto save points in this game.

Game just crashed during the
Leviathan fight
and I got thrown back to just before meeting
Camelia

Yeah, thanks for nothing.
I always manual save. Auto-save is nice, but yeah. Shit like that can happen.

True but you do lose life using them
If you activate the Armiger, they'll come out and attack without causing you to lose HP. I've never fought anything flat out immune to physical attacks, though, so I don't know if that actually works.

But in terms of magic, you can actually get pretty high damage without using much of an element and mixing in a good item. I think Megalixer gives you Quadcast, too.

EGOMON

Okay guys I am in Chapter 3 and I just read about the update that going to fix the story at later chapters, should I stop now and wait?

I just beat chapter 9 and I dont even know what the hell the story is about, what the characters motivations are and what anything means. I thought I was supposed to go find all of the
ancient swords
or something? Why am I fighting these
giant monsters and taking their power, and why does everyone want to kill them?
What is the end goal? Who am I supposed to hate?

The story, cutscenes, and everything is just so damn janky and disjointed. Stuff just happens. In game cutscenes become random CGI cutscenes and then time skips happen and its like the game expects me to know everything.

And yeah Altissia is such a waste.
Such an incredible location and city that only exists for one chapter without a single quest that isn't some stupid photo thing.
I can only imagine how much time and effort the dev team spent on this city.

Vashetti

Banned
Such an incredible location and city that only exists for one chapter without a single quest that isn't some stupid photo thing.

There are several hunts there that must be completed if you want to reach max rank.

JoeNut

I just beat chapter 9 and I dont even know what the hell the story is about, what the characters motivations are and what anything means. I thought I was supposed to go find all of the
ancient swords
or something? Why am I fighting these
giant monsters and taking their power, and why does everyone want to kill them?
What is the end goal? Who am I supposed to hate?

The story, cutscenes, and everything is just so damn janky and disjointed. Stuff just happens. In game cutscenes become random CGI cutscenes and then time skips happen and its like the game expects me to know everything.

Haha youre not the only one man, just go with it, it's still enjoyable and kind of explains things the further you get...kind of

Yaska

Finished the special dungeon
pitioss dungeon
. Phew, that was by far one of the more challenging dungeons due to the controls. Took me 2 hours to finish, but damn I am happy that I got it done :D

On Demand

Banned

Not only that, the entire map is not even explorable. The sections in the top area and lower right are shaded as if you're able to go there. I was excited when i first got to Altissia as it looked like this huge city to explore. Thought i had to be missing something and tried going to these places. What a disappointment.

Why is there even a Gondola at Altimera Station? You can't go there.

The desert area in another part of the game you can't explore.

BumRush

Not only that, the entire map is not even explorable. The sections in the top area and lower right are shaded as if you're able to go there. I was excited when i first got to Altissia as it looked like this huge city to explore. Thought i had to be missing something and tried going to these places. What a disappointment.

The more I play of it the more I notice how unfinished the game is. There's an incredible game waiting to come out, but they had to get it out the door and left a half finished product (world, storytelling, etc)

I still love it, and think that SE will make a great XVI.

On Demand

Banned
The more I play of it the more I notice how unfinished the game is. There's an incredible game waiting to come out, but they had to get it out the door and left a half finished product (world, storytelling, etc)

It should have been released in 2017. Let the fans cry and complain while you develop the game to 100%. It would have been better off instead of this Frankenstein of a game we got.

I like it too, mostly the open world exploration and combat. I'm happy that it's released and over with so Square can move on. FFXVI should be the usual FF quality we're used to on the fact that they won't have to deal with the horrible 10 year development of XV.

On Chapter 13 now and oh my God this is so boring.
I just got my dads sword and for some reason Ravus is dead.
I dont expect the game to tell me why.

There are several hunts there that must be completed if you want to reach max rank.

I checked IGNs guide and the only non photo one I saw is part of the main quest. Did I miss something?

Haha youre not the only one man, just go with it, it's still enjoyable and kind of explains things the further you get...kind of

Its funny how I enjoyed the game a lot more when it was more open world. When it became linear from chapter 9 and onwards and more reliant on storytelling, the quality really dipped. I loved just driving around, doing hunts and going camping with my bros. I dont care about this conflict that the game cant even properly explain.

Seriously! Altissia was everything I wanted out of this game. A gorgeous HD fantasy megacity with amazing architecture and interconnected pathways begging to be explored. I was so excited when I looked at the map just to be completely dismayed at 1) the size of the area you're allowed to explore 2) the lack of things to do and 3) the short time you're allowed to spend there before you lose access to it completely. What the fuck SE.

Then we got another kick to the nuts afterwards when you saw how beautiful
Tenebrae
looked but you couldn't go anywhere past the train station area. Jesus.

I dont want to backseat game dev but wouldn't it have been much smarter to prioritize polishing the story and fleshing out maps than how good the plates of food looked?

It should have been released in 2017. Let the fans cry and complain while you develop the game to 100%. It would have been better off instead of this Frankenstein of a game we got.

I like it too, mostly the open world exploration and combat. I'm happy that it's released and over with so Square can move on. FFXVI should be the usual FF quality we're used to on the fact that they won't have to deal with the horrible 10 year development of XV.

Yes, absolutely. There are too many experimental and unfinished parts in this game. Its really frustrating because the good parts are excellent. Hopefully 16 is more focused AND comes out in the next couple of years.

sackninja

On Chapter 13 now and oh my God this is so boring.
I just got my dads sword and for some reason Ravus is dead.
I dont expect the game to tell me why.

The game tells you why in a newspaper article... I actually really liked how that event was handled. It was a real holy shit moment when it just dropped it on you in a newspaper... you know the way people actually hear about things like that.

BumRush

So is the easiest / most reliable way to level up fast to:

• Eat the 2X EXP meal in Altissia
  • Use a few rare coins to make Expericast magics
  • Kill the Bandersnatch at Hammerhead (plus others)
  • Stay at the 3X EXP hotel in Altissia

Pachinko

I've saved neat the start of chapter 14 and have been sitting there for 2 weeks now ... this games story just falls apart to such a huge extent that I'm finding it hard to care enough to just finish the damn thing despite being pretty close. It's such a shame ... I imagine my major issues mirror many MANY other people though. I feel like I've got a lengthy post mortem breakdown in me once I finally suck it up and finish the story.

muteki

I've saved neat the start of chapter 14 and have been sitting there for 2 weeks now ... this games story just falls apart to such a huge extent that I'm finding it hard to care enough to just finish the damn thing despite being pretty close. It's such a shame ... I imagine my major issues mirror many MANY other people though. I feel like I've got a lengthy post mortem breakdown in me once I finally suck it up and finish the story.
I guess on the upside you only have an hour or two to go, at most.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Did anyone here ever even put magic on their teammates. I didn't because I was looking at their equip screen I was like "Am I really going to put a spell here that they are going to use 3 times, possibly with me not realizing they used them all up?

Did anyone here ever even put magic on their teammates. I didn't because I was looking at their equip screen I was like "Am I really going to put a spell here that they are going to use 3 times, possibly with me not realizing they used them all up?
Basically the only reason to ever do so (especially since there's a *universal* magic cooldown timer shared by your whole party) is for Healcast abuse in the final Menace dungeon.

h3ro

Which bro should I equip the Friendship band on? Is there any data on which of them is most likely to take advantage of the increased link-strike radius?

I put some on Prompto once, before I had access to any Machinery weapons. A few fights with random, low level crap later, the spells were gone. So never again.

I think I've cleared up all accessible content on Chapter 3 now (I'm at like 80 hours of gameplay). It's finally time to move on.

Finally finished chapter 13. Jesus. That was a slog. The jump scares might have been effective at spooking me if it didn't happen like 50 times.

I think I got a glitch toward the end of the chapter.
I met up with Gladio and Ignis and went back to the rest stop nearby. When I walked in, Prompto was floating in the middle of the room crucified. I thought it was part of the game but it didnt trigger any event nor could I interact with it.
Scared the crap out of me.

The game tells you why in a newspaper article... I actually really liked how that event was handled. It was a real holy shit moment when it just dropped it on you in a newspaper... you know the way people actually hear about things like that.

Oh I totally missed it then. I cant wait to finish this game so I can hop on over to the spoiler thread.

The restaurant you go to in Altissia as part of the main story offers you several hunts.

Ah gotcha. Guess I'll have to go back with Umbra and check those out.

I did until they would randomly use it fry my arse with Thundaga and stuff.

Which bro should I equip the Friendship band on? Is there any data on which of them is most likely to take advantage of the increased link-strike radius?
I would guess Prompto since he's technically supposed to be attacking from afar.

In practice, I didn't really notice a difference.

Yeah I haven't used magic once and I'm at level 67, lol.

Maybe I need to do the tutorial again but overtime I "mix" a spell, it runs out in 3 tries. I think even if I learned how to use it, I'd be screwed since I haven't spent a single AP on it yet.

BumRush

Just finished it. Enjoyed it, in many ways more than I anticipated, and in many ways, the game frustrated the shit out of me.

Pros:
- combat
- noctis and the crew were way more likable than I thought they were going to be
- much (most) of the game was beautiful
- as always, monster design was on point
- surprisingly good soundtrack
- more adult / creepier than I expected, which I loved
- aranea and ardyn

Cons:
- side quests got boring fast (because...)
- the NPCs were maybe the worst in the entire series and they didn't have stories, just "I need X, please get it for me"
- 50%+ of the story just wasn't there.
I have no idea why I should care about Luna, what the fuck was going on with the six and so many other things
- chapter 13. I went in without spoilers, only knowing it was hated. It was awful.
- the biggest one of all was the lack of memorable towns and locations
(you don't even get to explore your own kingdom???)

Battle system is painful to use. Not sure if I'm missing something but chapter 3 boss was miserable to play. Everything is so clunky and terrible.

Ugh and the tutorials it says to try are unskippable. Fuck this game

Edit: Where do you buy items and where do you get gil? Why is everything so painful?

Tsuna

I think I found it, you have to go to map locations to get back.

Is there a way to advance from night to day without having to pay for lodging constantly?
Camping

You can just camp at one of the camp sites and just fast travel "return to rest point" whenever you need to camp again.

Until you get link strike limit break (999 AP), it doesn't make a big difference since they'll all generally be hitting the damage cap. And they've all got the same odds.

I suppose Gladio might be best insofar as he's the most likely to be in the middle of the fray with you. But really the easiest way to trigger link strikes is with blindsiding anyway (which basically pulls the bros toward you to complete the animation).

Camping

You can just camp at one of the camp sites and just fast travel "return to rest point" whenever you need to camp again.

Is there a way to find camp points during new quests though? It seems nothing populates until you talk to people and they mark your map but that doesn't help with quests in the middle of nowhere.

Tsuna

Is there a way to find camp points during new quests though? It seems nothing populates until you talk to people and they mark your map but that doesn't help with quests in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah it will show up when you are near it.

You will probably come across some when you do hunts/quests, or just by exploring the area. Talking to the people who give you hunts will sometimes pop them up on the map too.

Battle system is painful to use. Not sure if I'm missing something but chapter 3 boss was miserable to play. Everything is so clunky and terrible.

Ugh and the tutorials it says to try are unskippable. Fuck this game

Edit: Where do you buy items and where do you get gil? Why is everything so painful?

You need to purchase some of the key Ascension points to really get into the battle system.

Doing side quests gives you a decent amount of Gil. Once you get to Chapter 9, you'll get to a new area, there is a Justice Monsters game you can play which gives a reward worth 500K when sold.

You need to purchase some of the key Ascension points to really get into the battle system.

Doing side quests gives you a decent amount of Gil. Once you get to Chapter 9, you'll get to a new area, there is a Justice Monsters game you can play which gives a reward worth 500K when sold.

Well some do at least, seems the only ones that really pay early on are the stupid picture quests the guy keeps giving you. It's just a really awkward way to penalize you with money in this game for seemingly no reason. Unless they're doing pay to play gil packs on PSN or something. Just seems weird how much it seems to fight you wanting to progress through the main story. It doesn't explicitly tell you to but it essentially forces you to do a bunch of boring side quests to level up get money since nothing else seems to give you money.

Vashetti

Banned
Well some do at least, seems the only ones that really pay early on are the stupid picture quests the guy keeps giving you. It's just a really awkward way to penalize you with money in this game for seemingly no reason. Unless they're doing pay to play gil packs on PSN or something.

What are you spending all your money on?!

I never struggled with gil in the game at all.

I remember the gil/item economy was pretty rough early on.

That was before I realized I could sell treasures though. Zerachi, you should look into your treasures column and try selling that stuff to help out.

You get 1000 gil to start and then literally nothing unless you do side quests. So I used all my potions and 2 phoenix downs on the Chapter 3 boss and then I had no money and then it dings you for sleeping and gas too.

I remember the gil/item economy was pretty rough early on.

That was before I realized I could sell treasures though. Zerachi, you should look into your treasures column and try selling that stuff to help out.

I'll have to look, I didn't look in that column really so I may have stuff there. Is there any benefit to any of the treasures or should you always just sell them?

Top Bottom